Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:22 pm 

Every now and then YouTube makes a really great recommendation. Today it introduced me to a new band called Oceans of Slumber. It's a prog metal band out of Houston with a black woman singing. How often do you see that? But unlike Alexis of Straight Line Stitch, she sings beautifully, more like a symphonic metal singer. And we get some gutteral growls from the guitarist.

Last edited by traxan on Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meditari
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:12 pm 

I'm not sure how I feel about the rest of their music right now, but their cover of Solitude by Candlemass is pretty rad, but I'm not sure that her voice fits the song extremely well. She has a pleasant and soulful voice, but it's not particularly powerful most of the time. Still cool, though.

emperorjvl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:25 am 

Meditari wrote:
I'm not sure how I feel about the rest of their music right now, but their cover of Solitude by Candlemass is pretty rad, but I'm not sure that her voice fits the song extremely well. She has a pleasant and soulful voice, but it's not particularly powerful most of the time. Still cool, though.

Nailed right on the head. Having said that - add some dynamics to her singing - the sound, drummer and harsh vox are already awesome, they could be really, really good. I will watch out for them.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:31 pm 

New song.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:43 pm 

They're "newish"--been around for a few years now, having released albums before Winter.

Nevertheless, I agree that they're fucking awesome. That aside, I'm not entirely sure why they were passed over for inclusion here on MA, and would be interested in the particulars of the mods' consensus that led to their verdict, especially when it literally took them months to decide, which doesn't happen every day.

In any case, I'm glad YouTube was a good friend to you today. :)

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:00 am 

Whoa. That cover was awesome. Why aren't these guys on the archives again?
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:43 am 

TrooperEd wrote:
Whoa. That cover was awesome. Why aren't these guys on the archives again?

Memory's blurry, but I think it had something to do with there being too much of a profound prog rock influence. Not enough consistent metal elements. But I'm not sure I can be quoted reliably on that.

Ask a mod. Or search in the appropriate thread (you probably know the one).

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:46 pm 

Hmm yeah sounds borderline to me. Especially the first song. That said she does have a kick-ass voice and the Solitude cover is pretty damn neat.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

cvac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:16 am 

Just listened to the first song. I'm sure the band will say I don't really get what they are trying to do, but
I've always thought it was very hard to mesh together melodic singing parts with screaming/growls in music like this. Very few bands manage to pull it off in a manner I find convincing, and I'm not really convinced here.

For this type of band, I think they would be better off by ditching the screaming/growls altogether and just making a heavy prog-rock/metal album.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:16 pm 

I tried giving this album a shot a while ago because I heard good things and the description of the music was intriguing, but I found it really flat and boring. The song writing felt really disjointed to me, the hooks weren't especially catchy or memorable, and there was a certain Seether-esque cheese that was present (which isn't necessarily bad, I thought Novembre's Ursa was good and it had this vibe in spots). Overall, I was pretty disappointed because I was expecting more.

That being said, the band is definitely technically proficient, they can all play well and the vocals are great, it just hasn't come together as well as I think it could yet.

Last edited by PvtNinjer on Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:17 pm 

I liked it when I first heard it, thought they did a good job. :thumbsup:

Necrobiotik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:20 pm 

Katon sister?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:11 pm 

emperorjvl wrote:
Meditari wrote:

Nailed right on the head. Having said that - add some dynamics to her singing - the sound, drummer and harsh vox are already awesome, they could be really, really good. I will watch out for them.

Yeah that's how I feel based on these songs. This isn't really my style so I don't plan on digging any further anyway, but her voice really doesn't mesh with the heavier parts. Very smooth but not exactly powerful. Not awful but not great either, just not for me.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:11 am 

^ I like the contrast of her voice with the heavier parts. She isn't the typical symphonic/operatic metal singer. It's nice to hear something different within the context of this style. However, that's not to say their style is easily definable at all. "Winter" was cool once the song seemed to pick up, but I liked "Suffer the Last Bridge" right away. Definitely will keep them on my radar. Also, just saw that they did a cover of "Nights in White Satin" on this new album. I'll have to check that out later.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:58 pm 

putrenista wrote:
Also, just saw that they did a cover of "Nights in White Satin" on this new album. I'll have to check that out later.

SoundsofDecay
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:03 pm 

The clean bits in this band really remind me or Portal (the Cynic side project)

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:37 am 

Not a style I use to listen but those tracks are great. She has a great voice. I wil give a liten to their new album.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:49 pm 

Now kicked from the metal discussion? Jeez.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:41 pm 

Well yeah, didn't you know all music that isn't metal needs to be quarantined since everything but metal fucking sucks? Weird right?! Oh well, those are the rules!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:14 am 

The band just announced on Facebook that a new album is due this fall.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:15 pm 

Just found this old video of the band with their previous singer. Metal enough for you mods?

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:52 pm 

Nope, they were originally blacklisted based on that album.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:23 pm 

Jesus this place is picky.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:34 am 

The last album(Winter) in fine tough its quite inconstent when we speak about how "metal" it sounds. First two songs are awseome but the rest are much softer. At the end of the album there is another song with heavier riffs but that´s all. Anyway the singer has an awesome voice and when they want to sound metal, they make a good job.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:18 pm 

+++ Oceans of Slumber announce new album “The Banished Heart”!+++

Houston-based progressive metal outfit, OCEANS OF SLUMBER, have just announced the release of their forthcoming full-length album, “The Banished Heart”, on March 2, 2018 via Century Media Records!

Singer Cammie Gilbert comments, "Guided by our resolve to only make music that is real to us, we explored a new depth and crawled deep inside ourselves to uncover what had been hiding and bring it out into the light. Sometimes in life there are places where we are able to turn away, to get away with applying the utilities of denial, but not this time. This time we forced ourselves to stay in that uncomfortable and terrifying place. To explore its vast and dark void in hopes of uncovering a better path out of it, not only for ourselves, but for all those familiar with that same dark place within themselves."

OCEANS OF SLUMBER mystify listeners with atmospheric melodies over darkened dynamics that range from the perversely sinister to the adventurously progressive, creating an undeniably epic wall of sound that has become the Texans’ trademark.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:53 am 

That Candlemass cover wasn't too bad. Not big on the production in that video but that could've been just because YouTube + my phones speakers.
Will definitely check out. Should I start with that EP + Winter?

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:25 am 

Unless she's also trans, that's not enough of a token to catch my interest. Going to have to judge her based on her singing abilities... Yeah, she's pretty good.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:47 pm 

New song off the 3/18 album. Maybe this will change some minds about adding them to the archives.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:57 pm 

Is this the newest longest-reigning topic to be kicked up like eight times by the same person over the course of a couple of years?

Reply to topic