Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ThrashingTheRedemer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:16 pm 

Anyone heard this collaboration album yet? At first listen, funnily enough, it seems more accessible than the last few Scott Walker albums, which have been fairly challenging and impenetrable to these ears (which is not a criticism as there's a lot to admire about their adventurousness).At least I can safely say that as a marriage between heavy guitar and avant garde it is more of a rewarding experience than Lulu!

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:30 am 

Got this on my list of things to get, really looking forward to it. Sunn and Scott Walker both make music that's pretty important to me. Sunn hasn't done wrong since they released Black One and Walker's 1-4 are classic, specifically 4.

Sunn collaborates with very complimentary artists, yet the picks are sometimes surprising. Boris wasn't, but Ulver and Walker both surprised and excited me.

My dream is a sunn o))) and Krzysztof Penderecki collab while that pollock is still alive!

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:42 am 

I've only heard the teaser but the mix was terrible, and it didn't leave me feeling optimistic.

Digging the collab idea though. Terrestrials with Ulver was killer.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:28 am 

It's not groundbreaking, but it's certainly compelling, and after a few listens, it sticks in a peculiar way that most other music doesn't. Walker's lyrics, while borderline incoherent, are hella interesting. "Herod 2014" is probably the most interesting lyrics I've heard from a release this year outside of the new Swans - covering Indian genocide, sacrificial altars, weird art debates, lullabies...it just goes on. It's a supreme song, and the most demanding on the album - especially with the repetition of "She's hidden her babies away". Sounds like some strange folklore being told aside a fire in a cave, while SunnO))) paints the walls, Walker shouts of strange genesis. Eesh! Makes my skin crawl in a very good way.

Like most SunnO))) I don't know how much I'd listen to it outside of specific moments, but it's really interesting and oddly compelling. I summarized it as "slowed down Swans" in the FFA, and that's probably the most accurate one could get in a sentence. Nothing super innovative in the noise/avant world, but it's really good and extremely well done. So far, I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

BAPTIST- drone, meditation, ambient - new song!

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:08 pm 

I've been listening to it and I gotta say I really dig this album. It's the most accessible I've ever heard Sunn O))) (save for the occasional Sinking Belle, etc) and it's more vivid and crushing than Walker's solo experimental stuff. I think cinematic is the best way to describe this. Some interesting instrumental moments - bubbling industrial effects, cool lead guitars and organs. Not really hearing the Swans comparison? These songs feel way more fragmentary and schizo than the unfolding dramas Swans are known for. This album is so pained and desperate sounding it's almost awkward. Whole new dimension of darkness here. 8/10

Reply to topic