Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:55 pm 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/peop ... /13925199/

I thought he seemed a little odd (or troubled) but I didn't think he would actually do something like this. What do you guys think about this?

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=102516
Mixing and Recording

Aydross
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:57 pm 

They aren't sure if it was suicide or not, either way, I was completely shocked.

MonumentalBlackArt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:58 pm 

Sad news. :(

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:01 pm 

When Michael Jackson died, I found myself feeling a crushing, but vague, sense of emptiness. Like, I wasn't the biggest fan of his music and I'd almost never listen to it on purpose apart from a few scattered favorites, but just knowing that he wasn't there anymore felt like there was a black hole somewhere in the general vicinity.

Swap out the appropriate "music" with "movies" and my opinion remains the same. Shit just feels like the whole universe is slightly off center right now.

StainedClass95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:03 pm 

It's hard to think of a comedian as depressed. I know they can be, but it's still weird for me.

waiguoren
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:07 pm 

StainedClass95 wrote:
It's hard to think of a comedian as depressed. I know they can be, but it's still weird for me.

Please don't be offended, but Steve Martin has also had problems with depression.

Like a lot of other people, I'll revisit some of his flicks this week, starting with World's Greatest Dad. He was such an inoffensive likeable guy though, pretty sad way for him to go.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:10 pm 

StainedClass95 wrote:

Lots of guys who act really funny in public struggle with depression. Same thing for the inverse, where really dramatic actors and people like that can be very easygoing and well-balanced in real life. Just one of those things.

I mostly knew Robin from later films like World's Greatest Dad as well as some older ones like Good Morning Vietnam. From my childhood, I really fucking loved Jumanji as a kid. Maybe I'll watch that sometime soon. RIP.

StainedClass95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:16 pm 

I know they can be, as I said, but it's still odd. I think of Mrs. Doubtfire and Flubber, and it is just a 180 for me to think he might have been depressed. I know anyone can be, it's just my knee-jerk reaction.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:32 pm 

Yeah, I'm in the same category as everyone else posting here. I'm generally not very attached to Hollywood celebrities, but Robin Williams is a definite exception to that. It's just hard to see such a good-natured, funny dude go out like that. Mrs. Doubtfire is still a good laugh even as an adult.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:41 pm 

I haven't seen any of it lately, but I know he had some downright killer stand-up. I wouldn't call it "clean" family fun, but it was good family fun. Poor guy though. Maybe he was just fronting a happy face in a straight-up effort to quell his depression. Celebrity death's don't really affect me, but I have to say I think Mr. Williams is an exception. I do feel a little sad about this. "Flubber" and "Jumanji" were a couple of my favorite movies as a kid. (Maybe not Jumanji, that movie scared the hell out of me when I was like 7.)

R.I.P. My apologies for the rambling.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=102516
Mixing and Recording

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:51 pm 

It always feels weird when someone so ingrained into our collective consciousness passes away. It's definitely not the sadness you feel when someone even remotely close to you dies, atleast not for me, but it does make me feel dispirited and for a lack of a better word "weird". Like I ingested a mild hallucinogen that's not settling well.

R.I.P.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:53 pm 

A key icon of my childhood in film and voice acting. Sad.

RIP.

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:55 pm 

When you can get Xeo out of the videogame thread nowadays, you know some real shit just went down.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:56 pm 

I'll be watching Hook, Jumanji, and World's Greatest Dad in his honor. I'd go as far as to say the latter two are part of my alltime favorite movies (and if you haven't seen World's Greatest Dad, you're totally missing out). It is...weird to know we'll have no more new movies with him.
RIP

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Exigence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:06 pm 

Whenever somebody rich and famous kills themselves, it just makes me feel that much more fucked.

Like that David Spade bit about rockstars singing about being unhappy.

Aydross
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:18 pm 

StainedClass95 wrote:

Reminded me of this:
Quote:
“Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I am Pagliacci.”

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:20 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
I'll be watching Hook, Jumanji, and World's Greatest Dad in his honor. I'd go as far as to say the latter two are part of my alltime favorite movies (and if you haven't seen World's Greatest Dad, you're totally missing out). It is...weird to know we'll have no more new movies with him.
RIP

Weren't they starting to work on another Ms Doubtfire too or something?

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:37 pm 

Extremely talented and dedicated. I know they haven't officially announced how or why he went yet, but it's been all over news outlets that rehabilitation and depression were a part of his life. Shame to think depression was a part of it. Unfortunately all of that work and effort can be a encumbersome, a burden even, though I'm sure there are parts of it we won't understand. Living in the public eye, having to maintain such an impeccable reputation, being a role model, having high standards... There are plenty of horror stories out there about people in such positions. No doubt his work will still be greatly appreciated though.

Erosion of Humanity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:08 pm 

I heard about this earlier, just crazy. Like when Heath Ledger died, or PSH, you just don't want to believe it. Robin hits hard though as I think he does for a lot of people around my age. Of course we all grew up on his movies and stand up so it's kinda surreal knowing that he won't be around anymore. I'll also be watching my favorites to commemorate, including What Dreams May Come (that one feels all the more fitting now), Patch Addams, Hook, that one where he played the kid that was all huge, you know with Danny Glover, I think it was called Jack. And of course some Crazy Ones episodes, that was areally funny show, again though just odd considering the character he played on the show.

Marag wrote:
And lol @ the metal brotherhood. Let's all wear Manowar thongs and slap our ballsacks together in the pit, bro.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:34 pm 

I recall loving a couple of his movies and his acting overall when I was a kid. Jumanji was a big part of my movie rotation in the '90s. Sad news.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:41 pm 

I immediately apologize for this, but I just can't resist reading the title of this thread as "THIS SUMMER, ROBIN WILLIAMS IS.... DEAD."

volutetheswarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:21 pm 

I wasn't much of fan of Flubber but I saw Jumanji in the cinemas when it was released, sure the CGI is dated now but it was an intensely fun and entertaining film that I would have drooled over a sequel. Robots doesn't get much of a mention but I felt that was really good and Robin Williams was an easy stand out. But I actually gravitated more to his serious dramatic work like Insomnia and One Hour Photo, in my mind he squashed his pigeon-holed roles and proved he could be appreciated on both ends of the spectrum, that's why I'll remember him as an actor and not just a comedian.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:54 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j1Hq8L28Us

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:12 am 

Jumanji was a huge movie for me as a kid. I still have my VHS of it. That and Aladdin are my favorite movies of his from when I was younger, and my favorite movies overall of his are Jumanji, One Hour Photo, Insomnia, and World's Greatest Dad, the latter being without a doubt one of the best comedies of the past 25 years.

The words "Robin Williams killed himself" just sound so wrong when you say them out loud. Like they aren't supposed to be together like that but you have to say them.
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:14 am 

It's waste of a great comedy mind and also a waste of pretty good functioning cow valve (funny how he repeats the same 'I can't eat any hamburgers anymore, cause you know.... it's one of us...' joke everytime someone asks about his heart in talk shows :p)

Some 90s movies that will forever be great nostalgia for me;

Hook
Jumanji
Mrs. Doubtfire
Aladdin

can't recall any recent funny and enjoyable movies with him except for Man of The Year...
His 00's serious thrillers were pretty good (Insomnia, One Hour Photo), it was an interesting change..

Maquina_Muerte's Last.fm
The Hazard Zone - 2013: A Death Metal Year In Review

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:24 am 

Like I said, World's Greatest Dad. Watch it.

Also, Death to Smoochie.
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:31 am 

Have you guys seen What Dreams May Come? That'll be really hard hitting another time around... very surreal movie.

KinskiTemper
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:36 am 

I don't understand why Jumanji gets so much love, easily one of the ones I disliked the most. My favorites were The World According to Garp, Mrs. Doubtfire, Hook, Good Will Hunting, and One Hour Photo. Never saw Dead Poet's Society actually, maybe I should see that one finally in light of all this.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:42 am 

Subrick wrote:
Also, Death to Smoochie.

My god I forgot about that movie, so great.

RIP good sir.

Last.fm

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:45 am 

Subrick wrote:
Like I said, World's Greatest Dad. Watch it.

Also, Death to Smoochie.

Death To Smoochie is freaking great; glad I took this recommendation.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:01 am 

fair enough.
if you're not depressed at 63, you're not a very good comedian.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:06 am 

Subrick wrote:
The words "Robin Williams killed himself" just sound so wrong when you say them out loud. Like they aren't supposed to be together like that but you have to say them.

he was a performer, a public figure, not some teenage blogger bore. I'm sure he knew better than to repulse people by sharing his feelings so that people would know the side of him that no one wants to know of anybody, the side that make it sound perfectly sensible to hear that they've done something like suicide. To me, it just says we didn't really know the guy. (similarly, the previous most recent suicide I knew about was of the most sociable happy bubbly person you'd ever meet...but he was bipolar, and so the side of the story that explains the ending was something people were scarcely aware existed, so it came as a shock to a lot of people, but makes sense once you know the whole story).

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:13 am 

That is a bummer ... just saw it on a German newssite. What a loss.

RIP and thanks for all the movies.

September 2013:
the 23rd edition of my magazine has been released:
https://archive.org/details/ADeadSpotOfLightNumber23

Analysis of band names:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103987

MasterOfSin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:25 am 

Goodbye "O Captain! My Captain!".

Festivus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:34 am 

I remember watching Dead Poets Society back in one of my HS classes. It was a pretty solid movie. Other than that, I haven't watched a single movie of his. I knew he was a well-known actor but didn't know he was that well respected.

RIP

Erosion of Humanity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:05 am 

KinskiTemper wrote:
I don't understand why Jumanji gets so much love, easily one of the ones I disliked the most. My favorites were The World According to Garp, Mrs. Doubtfire, Hook, Good Will Hunting, and One Hour Photo. Never saw Dead Poet's Society actually, maybe I should see that one finally in light of all this.

Cause jumanji was just such a cool concept when we were like ten. Also Good Will Hunting, forgot about that till your post, another great movie I'll have to watch again.

Marag wrote:
And lol @ the metal brotherhood. Let's all wear Manowar thongs and slap our ballsacks together in the pit, bro.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:26 am 

I'll always remember Robin Williams for this:

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:50 am 

It's often the funny ones that hurt the most. I can't say Williams was ever central to my life but I did see a lot of the movies he worked on in the 90s. Dead Poet Society really struck a chord with me at a young age and to this day I think mr. Keeting is the first thing I think of when a Williams performance comes to mind.

It's funny, I was just commenting on Facebook yesterday on how it was the twentieth anniversary of the death of Peter Cushing and he seemed to be filling up my news feed...then Robin suddenly took his place.

This shit also reminds me that I haven't talked to my dad in ages...he was a big fan of Williams for a while and I'm sure he followed his falling off the sobriety wagon with a wince and a sigh as he (my father) had gone through similar hard times.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:23 pm 

Oh man I forgot he was in Aladdin. That was one of my favorites from Disney as well.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:26 pm 

Assassinated by seal team six who died shortly thereafter in a mysterious helicopter crash.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next