* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:08 am 

@ TripeOverload:

Spoiler: show
Huh, that's a...strange reading of The Black Heart Procession. They're super melodramatic but it's all dark Americana type stuff. Never really heard them compared to Radiohead before. Different strokes and all, I guess...

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:02 am 

the chills - pink frost

never heard of this band before, but it's some pretty good, easy-listening pop stuff. the guy isn't the best singer, but the music underneath is good. i try not to use this adjective, but "cruisy" comes to mind. it's a pretty simple track in all in all though; a bassline playing 3 notes, a drum track, then the vocals over the top. incidentally, i'm typing this as it plays in the background, i switched to the video, and the clip is all of a sudden super-creepy! seemed a little out of place though - while most of the clip was just a guy walking around, some shots of a forest, etc... all of a sudden there's some kind of goth scarecrow in the picture! ha. who knows. all in all, not too bad but definitely mood music. reminiscent of the theme tune from mr bean, haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1DRTnP0gY8

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:58 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Huh, that's a...strange reading of The Black Heart Procession. They're super melodramatic but it's all dark Americana type stuff. Never really heard them compared to Radiohead before. Different strokes and all, I guess...

I gave their 2 a listen, and it does have some amazing tracks indeed. But this song, taken individually... it is plain meh. Within the context of the album, it actually makes sense, though, and fortunately that guitar sound is more prominent on other songs. Cannot tell much about the Americana, I usually associated Americana with Bill Frisell, for example, who has a less melodramatic sound.

Frenzal Rhomb - Russell Crowe's Band

Essentially a punk rant against fucking potentates who pose as total "ahtists" ( :mad: ) - in this specific case, Russell Crowe's band is derided as a means for Crowe to get more royalties and shit, without having any intrinsic value - this 1 minute song has a rather funny video and some nice melodic hooks. I was hard pressed to find anything that would make me come back to this band, though... it's like a more polished and musically competent remake of the Dicks' Fake Bands song, and with a much less phlegmy vocalist, but played 30 years later. I think I prefer Fake Bands...

Anyone for this track? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrUoK_TvVa8

Last edited by TripeOverload on Sun May 18, 2014 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:19 pm 

@TripeOverload:

Ah, good to hear you liked them more in album format. Not gonna review the Low track, though, as I'm already a huge Low fan (and have posted Low tracks in this thread, I believe...) so I'll let someone else check them out.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:21 pm 

Ah hello there. I guess I'll be The One:

Low: "Words"

A minimal, hermetic title for a very restrained, measured piece of music. Immediately arresting is the insistent, sliding bass, and what a great tone. Production has a good deal to do with the appeal of this music -- not to suggest that the musicians behind this couldn't adequately convey an atmosphere on their own, but I can well imagine how in the wrong hands this sound would come off as a bit bland and too direct -- the mix is full of "space", reverberating and sparse, while it still sounds like the band is playing nearby and not at the end of some long tunnel with the listener straining to follow proceedings. Those ride hits are so steady and constant, ddriving the piece forward at a deliberate pace with a beat/rhythm that never changes in the slightest and doesn't need to. Piano and I think very slight guitar embellishments interestingly almost completely eschew the use of chords until the chorus, where a vocal harmony rises a bit more stridently and manages to be pretty and evocative. There is a ghostly feeling to this; something that suggests longing and a bit of melancholy, but it's not bitter or self-consuming, if that makes sense. The verses are more memorable for the feeling they convey rather than notes or lyrics, which would I think take a few more listens for me to properly absorb. I must say that bass really sounds great with the volume turned up. I dug the restrained emotion of this piece...it is a little tentative maybe, but charmingly and deliberately so. I'd gladly go for more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF0MQ339Imc
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:23 pm 

Gorsh, so it happened.

Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso - R.I.P.

One fresh discovery - an Italian prog band (with a name that translates as... bank of mutual aid or some shit like that, I guess). When I think of Italian stuff, it's either great artists such as Black Hole and Bulldozer, Ennio Morricone, Paolo Fresu etc. , either scenes of me stuffing my guts with pizza/lasagna/scampi with Cutugno & company moaning about Itagliani veri in the background. This song is a prog rock tune played almost entirely by the numbers, nonetheless considerably more melodramatic than the stuff put out by many peers of other nationalities. Reasonably fast paced and featuring some knotty interplay between piano, bass and guitar, the first half is still generally much more controlled than it could have been, save for a tiny bit of noisy guitar freakout around 2:50, after which the band ends the alert section and goes for a second half of balladry, richer from a musical standpoint (organ, flute, a bit of violin too). The ending of the track seems somehow rushed, with a dizzy fast synthesizer crashing into violently strummed chords, and that's it. The vocalist is not necessarily a standout but he sure sounds Italian as spaghetti. He would've had no problem going to events like San Remo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SeF8Uvms2g

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:40 pm 

@ Tripe:

<spoiler>

Nice. i could have picked a longer, more involved/developed piece by them I suppose but I tend to think shorter = better as far as these threads go, and I really like this song anyway, being the first Banco tune I heard and having perhaps a special significance now given that the vocalist died a couple of months back. I do think he was one of the better vocalists in Italian prog by the way...melodramatic for sure, but very fitting.
</spoiler>

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:37 pm 

The Jesus Lizard - If You Had Lips

Ah, the Jesus Lizard. Used to listen to these guys a bit when I was 16 or whatever but have since totally forgot about them. They have some pretty good shit, for sure. I guess this is alt rock before the term alt rock became absolutely meaningless. This song is a tad noisy (for alt rock of course), has some strong, playful bass and some excellent guitar parts with a really cool swing to it. This is a really fun track and not generic at all. The vocals are kind of ehhhh, but whatever - they're not the main focus. Thanks for reintroducing me to the band, think I'll listen some more.

I don't care how much the PBR-swilling hipster swine like it, this is awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO7ZWfvCjBE

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:46 pm 

@dystopia4

Yeps, Yow's vocals have always been acquired taste par excellence. Still, I love his vaguely melodic, unconventional approach to screaming. He seems quite a groovy guy.

DivineSpirit33
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:21 pm 

Arcade Fire - Intervention

Dang, this song has a really good dark theme to it. My issue with it is everything else. The singer sounds horribly poppy, the instrumentals just aren't cutting it, and the whole song just sounds like that kind of thing that you'd hear on alt radio. The instrumentals specifically are awful. They are just horribly incomplex and uninteresting. I was bored by the 0:45 mark (don't worry, I still listened to the whole thing).

My song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyy7BbU1lSg

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:27 pm 

Oke... that's me again.

The Ghost Inside - Test The Limits

Frankly, I have no clear idea about the distinction between contemporary hardcore and metalcore, so I'll just take these guys for a hardcore act. A considerably upbeat song with a decent beginning that gets repeated for most of the song (that speshul kind of melody that makes Linkin Park and Jay Z fans cream their pants), plus some "relentless" breakdowns, but no leads, or anything that would demand repeated listens, for that matter. Reasonably generic guitar tone and a very competent machine-like drummer, but the flavor has been lost during the proceedings. This is what you'd get if you started a conversation with a drunken motivational speaker who provides vocalisms for a hardcore band as a pastime, I guess... Man, hardcore is so far nowadays from what it used to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uUpt_C4xeI

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:10 pm 

Sprawl - Martyrium Und Genuss

Sorry man, really hated this. I'm all for weird music and experimentation, but I found this really annoying. Really weird blasty drums (with an awful tone) are the main focus and they're just really loose and abrasive . . . not in an unsettling way, more in an incomprehensibly irritating way. There are also these awful squealing horns that occasionally come up to assault the soundscape. This is definitely not for me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBlq-yuY6uo

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:13 pm 

@dystopia

Nah, no problem in that, dude. I just happen to enjoy seemingly disorganized tunes more than some people, I guess. Michael Wertmuller is a helluva drummer, too bad if the tone put you off - my headphones helped a lot, I hear all that shit going on and it's a lot of it, cuz the guy speaks mostly in snaky ever-changing signatures. Just one suggestion: whenever you have time, if you use slsk or stuff like that, try the track called Zweites Purgatorium from this album. It features a really epic guitar lead riff + improvisation. And the drums are a bit more audible...

And your track, Gain by Burning Love, was a relatively pleasant surprise. I am not very keen on this type of rock, though it resembles well the anger present in songs from early 90's acts that I love such as Unsane, Laughing Hyenas and maybe even Dinosaur Jr. The sonorities, however, are more elaborate and rather far removed from the Southern sociobilly optic of the first two of the aforementioned acts, and show a very competent punk revival act, with a flair for composing catchy angry ditties and an instrumental ability that matches it perfectly - including fitting dramatic solos that change the flow of the general sound in surprising ways. The vocalist employs a coarse semi-melodic scream that really reminds me (again) of the vocalist from Laughing Hyenas, the drumming is the standard for punk, nothing stunning but aggressive enough to provide a good backbone for the rest of the band. Might be checking out more of these folks, especially if they insert a bit of variety in their tracks.
('Preesheate your blog and your respect for the good olds like the Jeez Liz :p ).

Here is a voodoobilly classic from an Amphetamine Reptile act :love: that made some of my fave songs. Not as experimental as labelmates Cows or Melvins, but still a peculiar band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbstkboBBV0

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:33 am 

I know that posting the song of the person who replied to my song is an exceedingly lame thing to do, but no one has posted here for over half a month, so might as well I guess...

God Bullies - What Are You Looking For

I liked this quite a bit more than your last song. Probably not something I'd come back to on my own volition, but pretty enjoyable for what it is. Noisy rock music with a gothic/post-punk edge. The leads on this steal the show, although simplistic they are have a nice sweet sound and provide a nice contrast to the rough nature of the music. A nice strong bass presence, here. My one problem with this would be the murky vocals - while nothing egregious, I feel another approach could have served the song much better. The whiny spoken word thing at the end was kind of unnecessary, too. Not a bad song at all, but I think the vocals would stop me from revisiting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CULo30StFW4

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:39 am 

dystopia4 wrote:

Hmmm... Yeah didn't really dig this at all. Brings me back to my childhood though, but not even nostalgia can move me. T.Rex are one of those bands for me - the one you know of due to the staggering amount of radio play their bigger songs got/get over the years that they seem to have been around forever and ever. To me this just sounds dated, with those reverb claps in the background, stringy, noodly guitar licks and those vocals which I never really liked. It moves at a plodding pace too, which really didn't help keep my attention whatsoever, as it just sort of... ambled aimlessly along. The soulful vocals underneath it all were probably the best thing about this, and that's a stretch to find anything redeeming about this. Sorry man to bring this thread back with such a negative review, but I really couldn't enjoy this on any level.

Something more modern with an eighties throwback?

My collection

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:12 am 

Ladytron - Runaway

I'm all about the 80s and whatnot, but this just seemed...bland. I'm not sure if she was going for the monotone, stiff vocals on purpose, but they do nothing to interest me in the song, which itself was a bit simple. It wasn't that the band was bad, they just seemed...uninterested in the song they were performing.

SoundCloud instead of YouTube.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:40 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Sorry man to bring this thread back with such a negative review, but I really couldn't enjoy this on any level.

At least you brought the thread back, I was kind of worried I killed.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:46 am 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:

Superstars of Planet Vixen - Doom Machine (Demo)

This was pretty neat. I don't know how I'd classify it - driving bluesy hard rock perhaps. Not normally my thing but I can appreciate it when it's done well and this is pretty competent stuff. My only criticism is it could have been a bit more concise but maybe when they add vocals (I assume they will, since it's a demo) it will feel less repetitive. Structurally not too exciting either, but that's not necessarily a negative with this kind of music. The opening riff is fine for an introduction, then you get a kind of transition which seems to overstay its welcome and turn into a verse, followed by a big bluesy riff which I assume is the chorus, then back to the verse again. There is little real sense of forward momentum between the parts, which you get with the masters like Motorhead etc, and which I think is important with such energetic, primal and simple music. I've always found the blues scale is difficult to work with because it's predictable, so a little excitement and unpredictability needs to be thrown in wherever possible. All in all, I wouldn't go so far as to say I'd buy their album but I would probably see them live at a festival, could be enjoyable after a few beers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3FQ9dSE-0Q

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:31 pm 

Oh, I love Joanna Newsom!

"Cosmia"

I've always had a soft spot for this song, her vocals always sound like they are on the verge of breaking, with the squeals, the half-pronunciation of words, the slurred delivery. It's all very moving, especially when coupled with the medieval instrumentation. However, it's not just a vocal exercise, there's a swirling, almost Disney-esque soundscape to it - melodies carry over the vocals, while subtle off-keyed accents punch in and out and varying levels. What the listener is left with is a deceptively simple, but rich tapestry of sounds, with enough changes throughout the 7 minute length to avoid boredom or pretense. The inclusion of accordions and ghostly banjo plucks only help to form this "Americana neo-folkish-" sound. Her harp has never sounded so elegant as it does in this song - something about the simplistic fhord progression really gets me. All in all, what would've been a rather bland folk song had it been guitar and drums, turns into an incredibly dense composition with a fresh sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SITjEw-jqlo

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:53 pm 

Gazelle Twin: "I am Shell, I am Bone"

Well, this is interesting. It has a synth-pop sort of texture, but the rhythm is a bit irregular with the minimal percussion being maybe a bit more free and open than one might expect, until the beat becomes steady and demanding about halfway through. Subtle female vocals that sound sung through a vocoder device herald the enfolding of the listener in a lush, warm synthetic blanket with delectable thick, almost-but-not-quite brassy tones. There's never really an explosion of sound or an apex of development here, but rather an ongoing mood. What is it? The great contemplation of life in all its forms? Ok, there's definitely a sort of climax toward the end and yet it's more a matter of dynamics than anything else as there's little melodic change happening in this brief, sure-handed piece of music. In fact, I like how it seems to lay all its cards on the table right at the beginning with that deep, pervasive chord, and everything else that develops just seems to be variations of that. Wish I could say more about this as it was actually pretty cool, but I guess I don't really know enough about the techniques used. Good sounds, nice flow, evocative piece of music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IfI5H0TShg

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:34 am 

Abominatrix wrote:

Smokey gin-joint blues eh? This is some seriously serious blues here, with fat greasy saxophone and tinklin' ivory flourishes a plenty. Not sure what else to say 'bout this, as I think I've summed it up in those opening lines haha... Howlin' Wolf sounds like a name I should know, but don't as it just reeks of a blues master that is a household name. The trick with blues is the essence it captures, or at least should - the raw emotion should be slowly boiling to the surface, to be let loose with a solid build up, reliving the tale in a burst of controlled drawl. This has all that indeed, and the song title is apt for tone this sets, as it's a brooding hulk of a track - pretty heavy really. A tail dragger, who covers his tracks... kind of like the theme here, no going back, I'll find you, you won't find me sort of thing, a pretty strong motif, and one that suits a blues tune to the letter. The narrative guitar underneath it all is arresting in it's delivery too, emphasising the vocals, whilst not overriding them. Not bad really, even if it's not my sort of thing.

My go.

My collection

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:31 am 

depeche mode- alone

As with most Depeche mode songs that I've heard I really rather enjoy it (great video too), and I seem to be forever on the cusp of downloading their entire discog and diving right here. The arrangement's great, I really love the drum programming early on and think the general soundscape is quite intoxicating. That said, I'm not really a big fan of the vocals (they sound like anathema, not a compliment..) and the song just kinda meanders around and then ends, which is also a bummer, as I kept expecting it to burst into something quite active but it never did. Oh well. I still need to check these guys out.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Abethedemon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:13 pm 

White hills - Under the Skin or by Name/Radiate.
Some quality wah wah pedals being used right here. I rather liked the first song, it was atmospheric, ambient, heavy, experimental and jammy. However, I felt as a joint song, the second one just didn't fit in as well. Sure, it had some great solos, but I felt like the vocals were a little bit too nasally for me - and that's coming from someone who likes Manilla Road. I liked these songs because they definitely changed their mood and had multiple textures layered within, but the vocals aren't the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYS1P7BxOOU [rap]

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:15 am 

Unknown Fucking Douchbags- Bah Dah

What the fuck. Seriously. What the fuck.

I honestly can't believe this. It isn't funny. It isn't clever. It honestly borders on racist.

From a purely technical level, this is a disaster. The beat is paper thin and vocals sound they were recorded on a toy mic plugged into Garage Band. There is this awful hollowness to the sound of everything, which tells me they recorded it in that garage or whatever they are moving around in(or maybe that parking lot). Learn to produce noobs.

But the overall track is just so stupid. If this guy hopes to break big, he needs to stop hanging out with skinny malcore douche bags and hang out with some real producers. And I am going to assume the false Ebonics used for the subtitles(needed with such awful vocal production) is their idea of being funny. It's just racist, ugly... and incredibly stupid.

Now for something incredibly wet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBNdOTu2Wn0

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:15 am 

Sun Kil Moon - Carissa

For some reason I've avoided listening to Sun Kil Moon until now. I do have a huge soft spot for Red House Painters reaching all the way back to middle school, but for whatever reason I was sort of uneager to check out a more folk-oriented followup project. Not to mention that the entire second album being Modest Mouse covers just sort of turned me off. I love Modest Mouse, but a huge part of that band is the production, the weird electric guitar tone and playing style, Brock's vocal delivery, the rhythm section...anyway, I didn't think folky covers would really be all that interesting, which just sorta totally killed my interest in ever checking out Sun Kil Moon.

Anyway, this song is fairly pleasant, though sometimes the super simple, dreamy acoustics kind of felt like they were getting pushed aside by the stream-of-consciousness vocals. Not at all bad, but doesn't really hit me with anywhere near the emotional weight of RHP's masterpieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_bR8OfQmPQ

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:58 am 

iamntbatman wrote:

Sentridoh - On The Face

Upon hearing the first notes, I had automatically thought, "there goes another folksy strummer that classy chicks dig", but I immediately snapped out of that shit. Sentridoh - Lou Barlow's project, man! Same guy who worked with Dino Jr. (and their You're Living... and Bug are great listens) and the core of Sebadoh (another act with some great moments in their discography, despite the occasional inconsistencies). The song is surprisingly engaging in its open, breezy bitterness and its choppy, laconic guitar phrasing that makes a subtle transition in tone when passing through the chorus. From a vocal standpoint, it is just as honest as any song of this kind should be, without being too whiny, too "honest" for its own sake, even though slight fluctuations are perceptible in the voice. It feels alright to hear a singer who just doesn't give a damn about pretense and focuses on the dragging cadence of his song. Won't rock my world the same as Syd Barrett or Nick Drake did, but it is clearly digestible and if I find pieces that are better than this, it might just be the next cool thing I hadn't known that I needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpOqF3Oa47Y

sherlockmist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:03 pm 

Love-August

60s rock was definitely not what I was expecting to get, but this is a pretty unique take on it. I've heard of these guys mostly through the hype around their album "Forever Changes" but I haven't checked it out yet. Maybe I should. Anyways, parts of this song I really dig and parts of this song I don't. Which really sucks because I want to like it a lot. But I don't like the "happier" parts of this song, basically the parts with vocals. They seem kind of out of place and really take me out of the mystical atmosphere that the rest of the track was building up. It also seems to get a little redundant for me towards the end with the really long solo and the crazy drumming. I'm not opposed to long solos at all, I love King Crimson. But that particular one just didn't gel with me.

Basically: parts of it I really like, and I really do want to like the whole thing, but certain sections of the song don't do it for me.

Now for something a whole lot darker…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsR3CqHN600

https://thevultureeye.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/thevultureeye
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VultureE ... 1827727215

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:29 pm 

wreck & reference- corpse museum

Well, huh. It kinda sounds like a godflesh track with JK on a huge amount of cocaine with all the guitars removed, I dunno. The loop is kinda cool, those chaotic drums, those rather odd synths that loop in. It keeps on hinting at something all lush and escapist before quickly returning to the industrial, nihilistic kinda side, like a particularly cool tree in a particularly awful warehouse. The vocals do annoy the hell out of me though, which is unfortunate because the main beat and the breakdown in particular are really cool. Yeah, it's not bad, just the vocals maaan, though I think it'd be really great at annoying the shit out of neighbours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vmfMx6GFts

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:45 pm 

"The Orthodox Singers" Male Choir - Do not cast me off in the time of old age

This reminds me very heavily of traveling through Moria in LOTRO (Lord of the Rings Online). Interesting that their voices can go so low, it's almost like a didgeridoo. The Russian accent adds a very "dusty" and mystic feel to it. That being said, I wouldn't listen to it all the time since it is a bit slow moving for me, even though I do like slow moving songs (like in space and psychedelic rock).

http://www.artistdirect.com/video/thoma ... ddon/51129

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

Abethedemon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:40 pm 

Thomas Dolby - Armageddon
Not bad, certainty interesting stuff. The vocals felt very Michael Jackson-y and didn't really work, but the instrumentals were pretty chill, ambient and exciting at the same time. The section with the synth kinda broke the mood, but it got better for sure. I liked the epic choir in the background. Not great, not horrible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNYdvNT3up8

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:08 am 

Infest - Sick Machine

Classic slab of powerviolence this one. There's really not a whole lot to say since the entire track clocks in at under 30 seconds: standard but effective broad-brush political lyrics (variations on "fuck the government!"), hate-fueled hardcore barking, typical powerviolence riffing and some surprisingly extreme drumming, which alternates between crust drumming and blastbeats quite effectively. The real stand-out here, however, is the production, which nails the raw, organic sound of seminal powerviolence acts but also doesn't sound like a total clusterfuck. Each instrument can be clearly distinguished from the others, and the lyrics are even (usually) discernible! It really hits the sweet spot between old and modern production. I've known about Infest for ages but never bothered to check them out; that will be changing immediately. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FKJPMv6s70
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:25 am 

Adiam Dymott - Black Cloud

A rather moody piece with a nice guitar tone, but it's definitely not the best stuff that I have ever heard... Basically, it's radio friendly rock with a female singer. Dymott is not the annoying pyrotechnics-driven type of singer (like Aguilera and other nutty females that seem to be out there only to flex their vocal chords in a classy way and without point) or the "excentric" type of chanteuse, she is actually quite restrained, but this alone can't make her effective or subtle in her delivery. She's just tolerable but nothing beyond that. The song itself is based on a super-simple rock rhythm and though there are hints at atmosphere in some moments of guitar exploration, this falls way too easily in the clutches of vanilla, with the second part of the song developing a different vocal line that will actually be reiterated over the melody that was being played at the beginning.

And now, for something really classy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq2AmA2mN1k

FlaPack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:35 am 

Cows - "Cow Jazz/Car Chase"

Cows are a band I have been told I should check out but never got around to. I dig most of the stuff that I've heard from Amphetamine Reptile though so now is as good a time as ever. What we have here is punk infused noise rock that sits in one bass driven groove without wavering for most of its entire 3:45. The bass tone is pretty typical of this type of music with the low end pumped up and some distortion to give it some dirt under its fingernails. The drummer gives the track some strong punk undertones on the section with "vocals". The minimal vocals are mostly minimally intelligible shouting a la David Yow. The guitar is merely a noise maker here along with some occasional horn skronks.

I have two problems with the track. First, it is incredibly one dimensional. It doesn't go anywhere at all and doesn't try to. That's probably only a problem when listening to it out of the context of the whole album. God knows I love plenty of bands that fill their albums with individually unremarkable songs that merely add to the atmosphere and insanity of the whole experience. My second issue is with the vocalist/lyrics. I prefer his grunts and screams to the actual lyrics. I don't have a problem (and I doubt many of us do on a metal forum) with vocals that are difficult to understand. But in this case the vocalist is affecting a kind of frayed-at-the-ends incoherent babble that seems a bit contrived to me. I just don't buy his shtick and it doesn't help that most of the words I can make out seem to be a random list of foods. I swear he's shouting "deviled eggs" at one point. Deviled eggs are something to be cherished not profaned.

All in all, it was enjoyable enough despite my criticisms. I see that this is from their first release before they were signed to AmRep so maybe I should check out a later release after they have refined their sound a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpqQRDaaNI0

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:47 am 

FlaPack wrote:

Well this certainly starts out slow, with slow plucked, sometimes off kilter chord work before a softer Billy Corgan makes an appearance. Then it speeds up, with a kind of weirdly narrated vocal, with warm chords again, forming the main vehicle for the verses. Don't know what he's rambling about (something about textbooks and grocery shopping...). It follows a well worn construction, of slow/quiet build and release, with the quite frankly foaming at the mouth vocalist, ranting and raving. Can't say I liked this - it's too plain, and frankly, rather boring. Maybe it's better in a live setting? Dunno, but I certainly wouldn't be there to check the comparison. It's simple, slightly repetitive, and... not very interesting. Not for me.

A new discovery.

My collection

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:56 am 

I liked that Ought song. Definitely a huge influence from old Pavement, but I also hear touches of The Replacements, maybe old Modest Mouse and even The Fall or something. I'm not totally sold on the guy's vocals but the song was good stuff.

Bat For Lashes - Trophy

This is my second Bat For Lashes song (the other one I've heard is "All Your Gold", which I heard on the radio at my old job a few times). Definitely a big Kate Bush influence on her music, which is always a good thing in my book, however as pleasant as this song is it really doesn't grab me the way the other song I've heard did. Looking further into it, this is from her debut album, so maybe she just hadn't developed/shifted styles to the later one just yet. Anyway it's pretty solid stuff, great voice, but when I'm hankering for some dark-ish pop music with really charismatic female vocals I typically go for The Knife or Fever Ray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C76N3tIgIc

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:49 am 

@batman
Bat For lashes are a band I literally only discovered a couple of days ago, but this track (and Tahiti) from the debut grabbed me. I like the dark sensuousness this exudes, and her voice kills me. Haven't heard any of the other two albums yet, but they're on my radar.

My collection

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:51 am 

caspian wrote:

Heavy_T_Skubbs and I saw these guys live a few years ago! Opened for Saint Vitus. It was a weird fucking gig some college group put together. The highlight of the entire night was this girl who danced with glowsticks on strings the entire time Vitus played. I couldn't stop staring at her.

White Hills were cool though, you can tell they fucking LOVE Hawkwind and the kraut rock scene. I always meant to pick up something by them and never got around to it.

sherlockmist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:39 pm 

Ugly Casanova-"Cat Faces"

So this is the side project of Isaac Brock of Modest Mouse. Before I begin this review, I should give background and say that Modest Mouse were pretty much the catalyst for me exploring non-metal music in middle school, and also literally saved my life. I can take or leave everything after Everywhere and his Nasty Parlour tricks, but everything up to and including that (and even some of the stuff afterwards) holds a very, very special place in my heart.

With that in mind, I'm also a fan of Ugly Casanova. This song is one of the softer songs off of Sharpen Your Teeth, and the soft and minimal arrangement really allows for Isaac Brock's lyrics to shine. The vocals are double tracked, with each track singing different lyrics. It's kind of hard to hear what the softer track is saying at first, but even without it's context this song is beautiful. The melody is simple and forlorn while the oft repeated line "My heart stopped pumping but my blood is alive" is mesmerizing and haunting.

Musically, the song is pretty much just pretty acoustic guitar and some weird synth swells in the background. It really exists only to complement the vocals and lyrics, but it does it perfectly.

Ugh what a beautiful song. I could gush about Brock's songwriting abilities all day long. Sometimes I have to check behind my back to make sure he isn't writing yet another song about my life.

(Now for something completely different)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSi0LvZiqOs

https://thevultureeye.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/thevultureeye
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VultureE ... 1827727215

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:36 am 

clipping. - Ends

Straight-up Pitchfork rap, but that's not inherently a bad thing. Like Pitchfork, it's a bit stuck up its own ass and a bit too convinced of its own self worth, but when it comes right down to it there's no question it's familiar with its musical history, is refreshingly self-aware and is not nearly as shitty as the anti-hipster hipster currently squatting in your basement says it is. Semi-successful Hollywood composer Jonathan Snipes creates a formidable soundscape using mostly glitch samples (with hints of lovely retro-synthwave touches, especially towards the end) and a competent MC spits out what could best be described as slam poetry fucked sideways by gangsta rap. The sum of its whole is roughly equal to its parts. Less impressed am I that this was actually the last track on the album; seems a bit on the nose. Maybe that's the point, but that might actually make it worse. Anyway...

...and now for something not-so-completely different...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpI6iIFxM9s
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:20 pm 

The Weeknd - Love in the Sky

Love this dude. He's like the perfect combination of MJ and Massive Attack. Bassy, intense, almost atonal R&B/pop that thrives on heavy throbbing rhythms and abstract melodies thrown over for good measure. This is probably the best track off of Kiss Land and one of thew few that retains the dreary intensity of his 3-disc monster. Danny Boy Styles is a beast of a producer and finds a perfect balance between noisy and up its own butt with really catchy hooks and a dub style delivery. Super good and I forgot about this album.

How's this....haven't posted weird psychedelic in a long time. Warning, it's long. Yes - it also only has 5 views - BECAUSE I'M A FUCKING MONSTER. Saw these guys live and they tore the place down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC8a7ZhXius

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║