Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:32 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

Sinkane - Blown
"this song is not available", but I found it on soundcloud

love that big movie soundtrack kind of drum sound, reminds me of DJ Shadow or sumn. crazy distorted vocals aren't bad. but I can't say I could remember what the melody was 6 seconds after the song stops playing, I guess it's more of just an 'atmosphere/vibe' kinda song than something catchy. really over-long to me, though. 10 minutes of mostly the same shit, no real impression of progression. if it's there, I just don't have the attention to hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwBRkN9__uc

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:16 am 

Erotetic wrote:

So I got another Lovage track eh? This... group is known to me, and well it's Mike Patton, so hell, there is bound to be something going on here yeah? Never seen the clip before, but I'll be damned if it's not entertaining, and the song itself has a slithery, smarmy charm to it that's hard not to resist - and clearly that's the aim. It could best be described as some kind of lounge-rap, that when writing it looks fucking strange, but hey it works, and the tone is of such a sleazy, suggestive nature that the music almost seems inconsequential. The lyrics also convey this rather... erm well, with the metaphoric madness that is all abundant. Hell I kinda dug this, as a lady friend of mine is quite taken by them and has shown me a few more of their tracks, and it's not all bad I guess, and does smack of some (sexy!) tongue in cheek humour/playfulness which works in their favour.

This might be a little less raunchy haha

My collection

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:37 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:

Massive Attack - "Dissolved Girl"

dream-pop vocals that remind me of every song that was ever on Buffy, over what sounds like the intro to a modern slick action movie--nice simple bassline over some chill drums and eventually some some synthy/DJ work for texture. I guess this is what Portishead would've sounded like if they were a four-piece. electric guitar makes for a nice climax. good enough that I might check out a whole album. I have some vague memory of not liking their vocalist (I'm sure I heard an album a decade ago), and this doesn't sound at all like that (maybe I'm confusing them with Morcheeba or something).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofBBQoWfH_c

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:28 pm 

"Dissolved Girl" is one of my faves. Fantastic tune.

Lumsk - Godnat Herinde

Huh, not always a huge fan of folk this clean. Reminds me a lot of a band called Eisley but a lot more subdued - there are a lot of nice touches though. The violin and horn are really awesome and adds a lot to the atmosphere. But, the song itself doesn't do a ton for me - but her voice is crazy good - and really brings out more melodic elements of the presumably Norwegian dialect. I might check out a full album by the band, and I would like to hear this in context, even if I wasn't immediately grabbed by it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VygBFD8hgqE

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:48 pm 

Eskimeux - Trinkets

First of all, got a good chuckle out of the band name. This was a pleasant little track and had some nice subtle stuff going on in the background such as little glitchy flourishes and almost dub-like drums. Vocals sound very earnest and are quite soothing. Almost a bit too cutesy for my tastes, but thankfully doesn't quite break over that threshold. This is all about subtlety and good atmosphere and they definitely do a good job at pulling that off. Pretty ambient for singer-songwriter sort of stuff. Overall, I enjoyed this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWx6csgGkg4

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:30 am 

dystopia4 wrote:

The hell man?... Strange song title indeed, though listening to the lyrics gives it a touch more sense (don't do drugs m'kay?). Anyway... this was... ugh, really bad. Country trill vocals all the way, backed up by warm and "sunny" acoustic guitar licks, punctuated by slide guitar, middling drums, and I think there was a bass. I am really struggling to write much more about this, as it was so far removed from anything I would go out of my way to listen to. I do get the message of the tune, and yes, it's done in a way as to not brow-beat you with it, but I just could not in any way get into this, and I'm sure he has a great voice, but that short, country style vibrato just sends chills down my spine, and not in a pleasurable way, as does the inoffensive music. This seems like I have brought this thread back again with another negative review of you track man, but this did not move me.

Something old?

My collection

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:48 pm 

Haha, I usually fucking loathe that kind of country, and I totally get not liking it. But I dunno, something about that guy totally does it for me.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:11 pm 

Joy Division - Shadowplay

Well, of course this is good. Joy Division are one of my favourite bands and this song is as good as any to illustrate why. Strong driving bass rhythm propelling the music forward, very sparse rhythm guitar and bittersweet simple-but-effective guitar melodies occasionally complimenting the bass. While the instrumentation is awesome and widely influential on many bands I enjoy, it's the vocals that really make the band. Ian's smooth, brooding deep bellows are very distinct and work perfectly with the moody post-punk sound. Nothing but love for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o-6ftmw8CE

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:01 pm 

Sisters Of Mercy - Dominion/Mother Russia

As a person who loves the heck out of Joy Division and New Order's eighties work, I guess I can dig this too. It's in the spirit of those times... With its ethereal, warm riffs, this is considerably more uplifting and less leaden than New Order's Blue Monday, for example. On the other side, the whole 7 minute song sounds rather repetitive - verse/chorus, repeat it to saturation, and that's about it, save a fiery saxophone solo which sounds pretty uncannily cheesy for this musical style and a final part reserved to Mother Russia (a gruff monologue over the same beat, which doesn't add or detract anything). Andrew Eldritch's vocals are far from virtuosic and heavy on the mood side. Despite this, he still doesn't hit the bizarre dissonances that Ian Curtis whipped out in his more uninspired or sedated moments. The rhythm is robust and thoroughly danceable, and I would have been more than glad if my ma and pa had listened to this sort of music instead of Modern Talking, phooey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smNqlFUwlMA

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:24 pm 

This Heat- ramp ramp ramp something

Not bad but I'm not sold. Certainly it's quite arty and ahead of its' time- you could put this on a new swans album and it would make sense- but is it all that interesting? I'm not convinced it is. Strikes me as something that would be particularly chaotic and abrasive at the time, but time hasn't been kind. Some of the percussion was pretty cool and I feel that if it got a bit more intense and developed it would be sweet. But ii doesn't go that way, so. To conclude: not terrible but i won't be listening to it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdzCnht ... 30FA5ECBD4

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:45 am 

It's a youtube video, fugg! My first thought is that this is probably actually Caspian. My second thought is that it's actually rather relaxing; there's actually some nice stuff going on with the guitars. I think he plays out that initial idea on the guitar for way too long. Then we get some whale noises, sounds of the ocean and what have you. Very relaxing, if a little sleepy. Basically 2 ideas in 8 minutes... he should really try harder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ADNrixt6NA

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:00 am 

The Macc Lads - England's Glory

Wasted working dude punk? I guess this goes close enough to that. The song is brief, devoid of acrobatics and based on an almost fluffy assortment of guitar lines and a driving beat. It sounds somehow youthful yet nostalgic. The lyrics are lifted from the foundations of the working dude modus operandi/vivendi, about a virtually... lifeless life of simple pleasures - drink and fuck - with occasional bursts of frustration as to why goddamn kiddies are slurping the good stuff in bars and the shitty booze is the only thing left in the evening. Sartre nods and bobs while listening to this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wp1PcWB0Hk

The_Great_God_Pan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:18 am 

TripeOverload wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wp1PcWB0Hk

Fear - Fresh Flesh

Like everyone, I clicked on the link knowing not what t expect. I'd never heard this band before. The song sounds to me like a two minute long intro to what could be something like Gwar's America Must be Destroyed for some reason. It is intense and very rockish, but I don't feel it really explodes anytime during the song. I expected an epic chorus to struck any time but it didn't happen; maybe in the next song. It does leave me with a feeling that wants to listen more of the band, particularly this album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoGMfyMJRoE

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:32 am 

Gin Blossoms - Found out about You

Ok so this is right up my alley - semi-grungey early 90s rock by the sounds of it (I've heard the name before but don't think I've ever checked them out). Like REM with a slightly heavier edge, or Soul Asylum's Grave Dancer's Union with a more "acceptable" singer. It reminds me also of a Guns n Roses song I can't remember, that clean picking over a distorted chorus and that vocal line. This would fit perfectly the soundtrack to one of those endearingly-terrible 90s coming-of-age movies a la Clerks. This is the first time I've ever heard this song and it's given me a nostalgia-ey feeling. A+ 10/10 brb listening to the whole thing on spotify.

edit: Just listening to the album on spotify and I've heard the track "Hey Jealousy" before. I've even got it in my "alt-rock" playlist, haha. Just hadn't made the connection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw6bgdJlth0

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:33 am 

Days Of The New - Shelf In The Room

Not sure what I think of this one. On one hand, the acoustic riff is pretty nice, and the lyrics are interesting. But I really couldn't pay attention to it for the entire five minutes. Like I said, the riff is good, but it isn't good enough to carry a song for five minutes, and there's almost no variety in the song at all. But I think the biggest problem is that it's rather . . . cliched? It sounds like any other '90s/early 2000s post-grunge band, made worse by the vocals that make them sound like a poor man's Alice in Chains.

6/10. Not bad, but not very good, either. I don't know, maybe it's just not my type of music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bEGgUs2KFs

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:41 pm 

I totally understand what you mean, man. I'm a big fan of the album but I'm also a big grunge fan, and I was still a kid when I first heard it. It came out in 1995, so was *just* post-grunge, I guess.

Pig - Sweet Child

Ok so as far as I can tell (as a relative outsider to this genre) this is some fairly standard Sisters of Mercy-inspired goth-industrial rock? Synthesisers and electronic drumkits is where it's at. There are a few extra elements in there - the movie sampling is one - but for the most part it's just a tribute act. The singer wants to be Andrew Eldritch but his voice isn't as distinct, and they keep it too low in the mix. Otherwise it sounds a bit like what little KMDFM I've heard... in that direction, anyway. I'm hardly an expert on the subject but I'll hazard a guess and say this is a second-tier band - there's nothing wrong with it, and it's catchy enough, but unless it predates Floodland (or I'm too ignorant to hear the difference) it's kinda derivative.

Here's something I discovered by accident about a year ago, and it turned out to be a fancy little number:

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:28 am 

Martin Ranch - Reach

I always like the spaghetti western vibe in music, be it legits like the Morriccone scores or stuff like this where the guitar leads have that western, Spanish-inflected sound. It's a cool number with a good vocal performance, but I can't stand the 80s synths, drums and bass that date it to hell and makes it all a little unlistenable. Definitely quality stuff, played well, but not my kind of style - too dancey, or whatever you want to call it. That music video was hilarious though. The muscle babes made it worth while.

Now for something colossal:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zHnAHytfFH8

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:00 am 

Wow, that certainly is colossal. To be honest, I barely know where to start. I really liked the few fluttery, more melodic moments, and the sparse, trance-like vocals were great. It's hard for me to really find anything to dislike. For some reason though, it's pretty hard for me to entirely give myself over to this music. I think that with something as massive and intricately created as this clearly is, repeated listens are sort of a requirement for any kind of understanding of the music's actual nature. It was certainly very intriguing though. I feel like I'd enjoy the journey to understanding the actual thematic content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boQeW-mkOCk

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:49 pm 

CardsOfWar wrote:

Never could really appreciate Current 93, they never seemed to grab or hold my attention with their vast discography and brand of whatever the hell they do, and this track ain't gonna change that for me. It's sort of pleasing at the start, with the droning synths and acoustic guitar, then the the vocals chime in, with half sung, half spoken poetry. However once that is established, not much else happens, there are some extra instrumental things going on in the background, but it is still rather barren, and I guess the intent is exactly that. It continues this same repetitive theme over the course, and checking to see if it was done, I found at the four minute mark there was still another two minutes to go? Huh. I thought it could have done without the extra two droning minutes, as it never actually added anything extra to this, as it ambled along to the end without really compounding, or expanding into much more. A little repetitive and dull for me.

I'll have a go.

My collection

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:30 am 

Russian Circles - Memorial (ft. Chelsea Wolfe)

This is very Caspian-y and if you're asking to which Caspian I'm referring the answer is "yes." It's a pleasant wash of gradually swelling major key post-whateverish with Chelsea Wolfe's gnarly and distorted vocals mixed rather low, complementing the other instruments instead of overtaking them. Production-wise it's exactly what you'd expect from a well-established band: fucking stellar.

Also, like what seems to be the case for the overwhelming majority of instrumental post-rock/metal, it's hard to really find fault with anything in particular; the track builds perfectly and pays off without tapping any "crescendo cliches" that often befall your Godspeeds or your Sky Explosions in the final moments. But the flip side of this is, just like the overwhelming majority of instrumental post-rock/metal, the melodies are too indistinct and pastiche and risk-free, prizing atmospherics way way way above literally any other part of music. It's the very definition of background music, but there's nothing wrong with that at all. Good stuff.

So this is darkeningday and Frog and maybe Azmodes music and if you are not darkeningday or Frog or maybe Azmodes you are probably not going to like it, but you should try it anyway because yolo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCEBn74N3jc

Probably my most listened-to album of the past few years.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:52 pm 

Autre Ne Veut - Counting

I'll start this off by saying I'm completely ignorant when it comes to anything to do with this type of music. This is so far removed from what I usually listen to, that I'm not even sure what you'd call it. An electronic/R&B hybrid? I really have no idea. Anyway, this is really smooth, with lush, pleasant keyboard textures driving the track. Not in love with the modern R&B falsetto sort of vocal style, but this is certainly better than most. Cool backup vocals. While a lot of this song sounds like it could be used in a polo commercial, it did have some pretty out there background noises which was an interesting contrast. In all, this is not at all bad for what it is, but it's just one of those things that's not going to particularly click with me. Wouldn't mind it on in the background or whatever, but wouldn't go out of my way to listen to it. Even though this definitely isn't my style, I can tell this is above average for what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDOb8jVUMmY

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:41 am 

The Ragged Jubilee - Mississippi Water

I really liked the ten second downbeat introduction, but most of its appeal was sacrificed by the jaunty instrumental cacophony that followed it. I think that's my general problem with this kind of music. I can appreciate the old-timey vibe that it has, but there is just too much going on. The hoarse, Tom Waits-y vocals need to be put in to a context where their laments can be those of an emotional storyteller rather than someone trying to be heard over a rootin-tootin hoedown. The instrumental break that starts about three minutes into the song, however, was excellent. It was the only moment where it felt like there was a story being told, rather than the mere creation of a spectacle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVNkA8Dfi60

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:54 pm 

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Up Jumped The Devil

the youthful face of nicky on the cover is the giveaway, warning unsuspecting newcomers... this is one of his earlier albums, before he lured aussie pop singers and english songstresses into his dark world. he hadn't honed his craft into mainstream-gatecrashing balladry yet.
a typical ncatbs song, with the dictating rhythm, memorable piano line, and menacing vocal delivery of the american gothic-styled poetry, but not as catchy and captivating as his better-known songs.
it got some late exposure due to its inclusion in the alan wake (videogame) soundtrack, but otherwise it's an oddity...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auUvfGqyqWE

Belastbar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:55 pm 

kratong - echoes of sinking ships

The songs starts with guitars and strings that play a melody that is a little bit folky, so I first thought this would be some kind of folk music. But soon, vocals and vocal samples with effects come into the mix, who send the song in a post-rockish direction. I really like that the strings are mostly used for playing a melody, so the song is never 100% atmosphere. There is always a red (melodic) line that you can follow into the atmosphere of the piece. The song gives me a feeling of melancholy and longing, just as the title suggests. I really like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjFi4MHO_go

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:29 am 

Kid Koala performs Moon River

Why did he have to be there for that? I understand that DJs do plenty in the performance and presentation of music in a lot of settings, but here, his occasional embellishments added essentially nothing to the music. The actual song he was playing really wasn't for me either. I guess I could begin to understand the appeal if the actual sounds weren't so muffled and distant, but for now, it really isn't my thing. I liked the whole aesthetic that the DJ had, but it really just seemed like he was vainly floundering around to make a boring experience very slightly less banal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yx80V7EMFU

WillyB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:47 am 

The Antlers - Bear

Haven't listened to The Antlers in quite a few years. Lyrically pretty good, obvious what the song is about(the decision to get an abortion or not). Always loved his vocal style, good melodic sense to it, especially during the verses, and his voice fits the whole sad indie rock sound. Really like the quiet intro melody and how it flows into the bouncier chorus section, very typical for this style but still works well. Not much else to say about this one, quality rock with good lyrics, somehow still makes me want to bounce around a little but still brings my mood down. "And all the while I'll know we're fucked and not getting unfucked soon."
Might go listen to the antlers again.

Here's something from my favorite group
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wVhWcpZpac

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:14 am 

The Books - Tokyo

Oh man, the guitar in this is beyond fucking beautiful. Like seriously, they could have played that fast guitar lines with Eastern vibes for the whole song and I'd be happy. This song is rooted in beautiful acoustic guitar, but is very experimental around the edges. There are some sound-collagey experimentation in the background as well as some organic glitchy stuff and whatnot, but this is subtle enough for the track to not become too weird for its own good. While I would perhaps rather the song be more straightforward and just about those gorgeous scenic vibes, I really don't mind the experimentation they've gone for. All in all a good track and I wouldn't mind checking out more from these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byCqOvRMOvo

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:37 am 

Gang of Four - "damaged goods"

All things considered, marxist funk/post-punk wouldn't be top of the list of things I would guess I'd enjoy, but I have this on vinyl and still think Entertainment! is a great album. Like much music of the era it's build around the bass with the guitar playing scratchy downstrokes rather than fully evolved riffs. Regarding the vocals, this isn't the song I would have chosen (I would have gone for "Ether" or "I love a man in uniform" ) as it's less heavily political than the majority of their stuff from this era. Still a great track nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-Z7Nzx ... -g&index=8

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:34 am 

Rowland S. Howard - The Golden Age of Bloodshed

Huh, for some reason I never bothered checking out any of Howard's solo stuff though I like The Birthday Party. If this song is any indication, though, I've definitely been missing out. Apocalyptic bluesy post-punk stuff that gives me Velvet Underground vibes. Brilliant textural guitar work of course, on top of a driving bass line. I really like Howard's understated vocals in this, too; they bring a heavy dose of "regular dude"-ness to the song that would be missed had something more genre-standard been used instead (like, oh, say, Nick Cave himself). I actually prefer this to recent Nick Cave material. Cool stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hymX3-i0eX0

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:33 pm 

Hum - Isle of the Cheetah

I’m not sure that they play a genre I’ll ever be able to truly appreciate, but I’d think that I can see at least some of the appeal of the band. The guitars come off as being surprisingly gentle despite being pretty dense. Sitting atop of them are a sorta lazy and maybe crooned vocals which might be a bit hit-or-miss for most. They sort of gave the music a listless feeling to me, which contrasted a more energetic, but subdued, vibe the rest of the music had given off. There’s definitely plenty of merits to the music, but it just doesn’t feel like anything I’d ever choose to play myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaezyKvQzvY

WillyB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:45 pm 

Burial Hex - Final Love

Not sure what to think of this at all, weird soundscapes and death growls over top some dub/garage percussion elements? Was really starting to get into it and then the piano part kicked in, which completely threw off the song for me, very interesting and unique but not in the best way. I could see some people I know enjoying this however, but I feel it's a bit too jumbled in sounds for me to appreciate. Really like the deep bass wubs that come in, and the drums sound fantastic. Everything else doesn't come together for me though, maybe if the vocals weren't there I could enjoy it more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER7XsbPUhRU

Vygotskyann
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:26 pm 

Loscil - Zephyr

That was very relaxing! Minimalist in structure, but certainly powerful in terms of provoking certain emotions. This is true considering the fact how the intensity of the song is kept at a constant; there is something about going with that approach that leaves you in a state of introspection. Nostalgia was mostly prevalent upon hearing this song in my case, yet, along with the video, I got this feeling of curiosity and wonder; that feeling whenever you had a long day, where you look back at what you did and you just think aimlessly about what's next. A relatively clichéd feeling, but it's real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxv0WIyIdlI

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:53 am 

The Beatles - I Want You.

Possibly one of the greatest Beatles songs and hard rock songs in general. It's doomy, minor scaled, progressive, very heavy for its time and has a bit of doom metal in it. 14 words in a song aren't that relevant in a monster like this, and even add more to its mysteriousness and makes you enjoy the music more than the lyrics.

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

Vygotskyann
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:50 am 

raspberrysoda wrote:
The Beatles - I Want You.

Possibly one of the greatest Beatles songs and hard rock songs in general. It's doomy, minor scaled, progressive, very heavy for its time and has a bit of doom metal in it. 14 words in a song aren't that relevant in a monster like this, and even add more to its mysteriousness and makes you enjoy the music more than the lyrics.

No Beatles here?

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:21 pm 

@raspberrysoda, where's your song, dude?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:52 pm 

I guess I'll martyr myself by putting forth a song without reviewing someone else's first! :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2jdne6GVHQ
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:27 am 

Death from Above 1979 - Little Girl
Oh yeah this is the tasty. Chuggy punk with a tight rhythm section and some choice freak out vocals. Great riffs, great delivery, glorious. Gotta check their stuff out now. Guitar tone is killer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duRifXqcnBA

Belastbar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:55 pm 

Grails-A Mansion Has Many Room

This song is great! I love that the power of this song comes from its cadences (the chords it moves through), unlike most rock music which is more riff based. It also has a beautiful melody that leads us through the cadences. And the instrumentation and recording is done just as well, with quiet atmospheric background vocals and a build up in the middle. All in all, a very good piece of music that follows one idea rather than trying to be pretentious. The only thing that could be better are the drums, who are playing one beat throughout. Well at least they are not stealing the spotlight and distracting from the harmonical work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd6KT7ALh2k

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:37 pm 

Ramona Falls - Melectric

Mmm, smells like indie pop here. A genre less than likely to arouse my enthusiasm, but usually less grating than thy average contemporary radio-friendly fodder. This song starts off with two overlapping piano melodies and there is a certain contrast between the relatively gentle string section - which includes mandolin or balalaika and discards electricity (har!) - and the more booming sound of the percussion. The bass lines flow warmly throughout the song and the lead singer's voice brings Tom Rapp to one's mind quite strongly, even though the vocals get pointlessly overpowering in the mix, in my opinion. The song structure does not fall into the usual verse-chorus-verse-chorus-catharsis-repeat chorus shiznit trappings, because it is actually a bit more rigid. It's just longish verse-longish chorus-longish verse-longish chorus, and that's all, almost all talk and no dinner, it's just there, like an anthemic ficus. This music needs some more neurosis so it can hope to reach Neutral Milk Hotel standards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtiSA2RKDzc

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:53 pm 

Good call on Death from Above and Grails, guys.

Albert Ayler - Ghosts

I'll be honest, I know pretty much fuck all about jazz. There's only two albums I listen to with any regularity, but my dad has been showing me some of the classic Blue Note records lately. Anyway, this is very experimental. Perhaps a bit too much for me at some points, but still very interesting. The tone on the sax is awesome, the more conventional lines are amazing, while the more experimental ones are unnerving and discordant. While the saxophone is the main attraction, the interplay between bass and drums deserves special attention. The bass playing is pretty awesome and weird. The drums - jazz drumming is the shit, basically. The interesting thing I find about it is the bass drum is not really used to keep time, and the snare is only really hit as an accent rather than being a centrepiece of the rhythm. Most of the drum work is hi-hat/cymbal stuff and it's really awesome. The part where the sax cuts out and it's just drums and bass is pretty cool. I guess this is free jazz as not everything seems to always be in time with each other and this is a big part of what gives it its unsettling, discordant atmosphere. This can be both difficult and interesting. I'm too uninitiated in the genre to really be a good judge of this . . . I think I liked it? I definitely enjoyed parts, where theres seemed a bit inaccessible to me not unlike how a lot of extreme metal came off to me before I got more and more into it. If anything, this was an interesting piece.

Anyway, here's a track from one of those two albums:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzBe3sr8oxw

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next