Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:18 pm 

Dead Can Dance- Kiko

I've slowly came to the conclusion that DCD are one of those super overrated "non metal for metalheads" type bands (Godspeed's the next most obvious one I can think of), 20% of their songs are indeed pure genius (seraphim, severance, the title track on the newy, bunch off the debut, Fortune presents gifts, there's a bunch of others) with maybe another 20% being decent "gerrard and an imaginary language" stuff, and the final 60% being really really godawful tripe that I can't understand how anyone enjoys.. Plus I've always felt Gerrard uses waaaaay too much reverb.

Anyway, so with all that said and done, this is in that 20% "Gerrard and an imaginary language" stuff, and so it's pretty good. I like the strange time signature and/or unexpected accents, and you'd be hard pressed to deny that Gerrard's voice isn't this mysterious and haunting thing throughout. Yeah, throughout a haunting and very listenable soundtrack-esque bit of ghostly middle eastern vibes, and the change up at the end is pretty cool. Certainly struck me that their songwriting chops have gotten a few hundred times better with their new album. 8/10, and many thanks for not uploading something like Ulysses!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfU-D9x_dbQ

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:23 pm 

CrushedRevelation

Spoiler: show
I'd have to agree that the attention these guys have attracted is a bit over the top, they're good song writers and have a beautiful sound but groundbreaking they are not. I don't think I've seen one upload of their songs on youtube where the comments aren't "OMG JOHN LENNON!" and "sounds just like the Beatles and Pink Floyd!" etc. I like what I've heard though, the "groovy bass" and "trippy synths" in particular. ;)

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:04 am 

caspian
Haha, well I find a large bulk of their songs are great, but you are right about some of it being whiffle. The new album is excellent though, with some solid songs that develop slowly but with all the grace and grandeur you would expect from these two. The mandolin throughout this track is awesome too, as is Lisa's beautiful haunting vocals. I personally tend to favour Brendan's vocally driven songs to hers mostly, as he has such an amazing voice.

Foulchrist
Yeah I can accept that they are decent song writers, but this sort of thing leaves me a bit... meh. Just nothing that stands out - and their hype is rather annoying.

My collection

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:45 pm 

caspian wrote:

I'm expecting something vast here... and isn't disappointing. A deliberate, slow swelling wash of soothing (and enourmous) layered... depth. Quite haunting and beautiful, and it does remind me slightly of Dead Can Dance's The Host of Seraphim, with those harmonies buried under the lush and thick layering - minus Lisa Gerrard's amazing voice. It's very minimalist though, but that's alright, because it's not aiming for anything else, as it slowly compounds upon itself gaining ever more weight effortlessly. Not bad man.

Going waaay back in time. Apparently there is a German lyric version of this...

My collection

SolracV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:37 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Going waaay back in time. Apparently there is a German lyric version of this...

Icehouse - Uniform

Not bad at all! Just your good ol' New Wave/Alt. Rock music, and I must say that it's pretty damn catchy, caught myself singing the chorus during the last minutes haha. Asides from that I haven't found anything worth commenting (maybe because of my lack of knowledge on the genre), but I like it. Also, I do like the vocals, it's not as edited as some other bands I've heard; it's pure and balanced. Overall, 7.5/10

What I be listening to right now

Last edited by SolracV on Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:52 pm 

I'm back in the thread, yo.

The Dear Hunter: "Lillian"

This song is kinda weird. It's like a mixture of Coheed, Panic at the Disco, Queen and like...I dunno...Imagine Dragons? Believe me it sounds a lot better than it looks on paper. Operatic and over-the-top is not how I like my "serious" music, but there's something charming about this song - I think it's the strange string arrangements, or maybe the the vocal delivery....it's like he should be shouting or running up and down over his vocal range, but he's not - he's just sort of crooning. It works well...surprisingly well. Can't say I would listen to this a lot, as it's not really my thing, too bombast. But, still, interesting. I dig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLfPaC5cNds

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:05 pm 

Cold Cave - Confetti

Alright, this is really far outside my comfort zone. Seems to be synthpop-y gloomy new wave (darkwave). Not the type of stuff I ever listen to, but I didn't mind this at all. I really like the elastic echo-laden guitar on this. The main synth thing would be really obnoxious if not for the more laid back guitar and deep gloomy (yet still catchy) vocals. I'm completely lost when it comes to this music, but I would say that this is some of the better songs I've heard in this style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Us4CG80Vk0

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:25 pm 

NAAM "On The Hour"

Aha! Stoner Rock! I've always wanted to delve deeper into this genre, seeing how I love bluesy touches in a lot of songs. I love the thick fuzzy distortion coating the simple stoner riffing. The vocals are muffled with static, sounding as if it was recorded in a 4-track basement from the 80s. That is until I found out that this track is pretty new. Good job on the pseudo 70s/early 80s sound production there. While the track isn't catchy, the simple repeated riffs, are good enough for my eyes. I'm enjoying this. I don't know if it's derivative but so far, if this stoner rock, I'll discover more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAEOv_mPxtw

caspian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:19 am 

Love me Butch- come out, come out

Holy fark this is a loud recording, was happily chilling to some space rock and this came out at a ear splitting volume, damn. Anyway, this is about as anti-my thing as possible, I thought the guitar parts were kinda cool, I appreciate the business and attempt at making them interesting but the constant emo-ness of it was pretty painful, super painful indeed. I've heard worse but the hard out earnest-ness of it was a bit annoying, and it just sorta went LOUD AND PASSIONATE at the very start and stayed there the whole time, dynamics are good! A more technical Fall out Boy or something? Pretty rank, sorry bro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GinMx2OGIo

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:13 am 

@ScratchMyBack
Not to split hairs or anything, but that was more psychedelic rock than stoner rock.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:37 pm 

Ozric Tentacles - Mysticum Arabicola

Instrumental progressive droning rock. I've always had a fondness for this band, especially during my pot smoking shroom eating days. The song takes awhile to build up, but around the 3:00 mark, there's a fantastic blending of cultures and melodies and it seamlessly becomes this massive prog rock/EDM/70s space rock jam. A really excellent overarching melody emcompasses the rather obtuse theme of the song, lurching back and forth from something you could hear in a soundtrack to something you could hear in a strange club located on a floating island. Filled with solos of flutes and drums and ragas and sleazy electric guitars. It never actually breaks the standard drum 'n' bass composition, but it builds over and over again on top of a motif, making the song more coherent than not. A really awesome jam to get high to, for sure. But, if not, think of it as a garage band formed up of Fela Kuti extras, members of Genesis, and YES.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXHTgeP4uKo

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

caspian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:50 am 

The Angels of Light- Untitled love song

This is pretty cool, not too familiar with Angels but Gira does know how to write a gorgeous little acoustic ditty now and then and this one's no exception. I think it could of used a little bit more tension, or if not tension just something- like a middle 8, another part somewhere or something. That said it is a very nice love song, and something that I'll likely be playing for my wife at some point. Good tune!

something very different, but keeping the acoustic thing, I guess http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7KRYM8TNLc i think it's a very tasteful song so it'll be interesting to see what you all think of it

FlaPack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:28 am 

Draw Near (feat. Jeremy Riddle) - Bethel Music (The Loft Sessions)

Almost did it for me. The guy's voice is really compelling. Reminds me in spots of Ryan Adams for whom I am an unapologetic fan boy. I'm a sucker for those super earnest vocals with mild imperfections that give you a sense of amateurish desperation/sincerity. I'm also quite drawn to that sparse acoustic guitar and its production in the intro. Has a very live sound. You really get a sense you're in an empty room with them recording that track. I also like the building feel of the chorus. Really drives the song to another place. [completely unimportant aside. That chorus creates an odd association in my mind to NIN's Hurt. Probably one I would never have made without having heard the Cash cover.] I can take or leave the strings they use to build to that chorus. Makes it sound a little too polished to my ear. My biggest problem with the song is probably the lyrics. A little too standard. A little too trite and expected. I could totally see how they might work better in the context of an album with more grit and pain throughout. For this kind of contemporary americana/singer songwriter type stuff there is certainly plenty of room for rays of sunshine through the clouds. I feel these lyrics probably sound less syrupy when heard in the proper context. Or maybe not. I've never heard these guys before. I'll definitely be checking them and Jeremy Riddle out more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51Uw-9lNl08

FlaPack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:45 am 

After looking further into the discography of Mr. Riddle I think I may have been misinterpreting the lyrics here in a big way. Probably a whole different context to that album than I was imagining. Wow do I feel dumb.

caspian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:51 am 

Hahaha! Yeah they're all bible verses basically. Would've made funny youtubing! That's basically the deepest song he's ever done, the rest is pretty bad CCM but there's good memories associated with that song, and it's got this cool yearning, melancholic thing to it thus why I thought I'd link it.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:42 pm 

FlaPack wrote:
fIREHOSE - Brave Captain

Very busy, bustling, jangly (post?) punk. Kind of reminds me of a whole rash of bands and sounds that really never moved me back in the 90's (apparently this is from '86 however), though it would be slightly unfair to label as punk really. The rawness of this is quite good, as it sounds like they rocked up to the studio and banged this out, with the bass lines standing out very strongly, forming the slithery, funky backbone - actually the more I listen to it I can draw more of a sixties vibe from this little ditty, mostly thanks to the scratchy guitar and solo. Overall this is a rather funky number, with the busy drumwork and bass interplay, the vocals for me are not really worth much here, except that they are perfunctory, as they seem a little weak and bland. Most of the song has this feeling for me, though it IS well played and put together, just doesn't rattle my cage at all. This sounds like a precursor to the 90's indie stuff that was rampant a few years after this release, but don't quote me on that, it's just a hunch. Well constructed track, but it ain't my thing.

My go (headphones will do wonders...)

My collection

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:41 pm 

VAST - Flames

Holy shit, VAST (an acronym for the rather pretentious appellation "Visual Audio Sensory Theater"). Blast from the past. I was first introduced to this band (although, iirc, it's really more of just a guy with a bunch of session musicians than a proper collaborative band) thanks to Amazon.com's now ridiculously outdated "similar music" search, as this band as well as suckass violin-pop Bond were always showing up whenever I typed in my flavor-of-the-semester 'Apocalyptica.' While I don't think I ever managed to scrape up enough cash to actually buy any VAST album (I was like 15 and trying to save up for Half Life 2), I wore the shit out of Amazon's 60-second previews! I think my favorite sampled album was the one this track came from, as NUDE seemed much too upbeat for my angsty teenage ears and Music for People just seemed like a more milquetoast redux of this album.

The reason I've chosen to write so much about the history of my encounter with this band is because this song itself is... rather difficult to review. It's a very lovely acoustic singer/songwriter piece with some impressive orchestral underpinnings (its use of the cello is quite nice and the synths sound pretty convincing) but at the same time it follows a very well-worn musical path (the old 'slowly crescendo as the emotion builds' gambit) and some kind of sort of fairly moronic lyrics ('just put me inside you I would never ever leave'). It's definitely pretty good 'mood' music, though, and I wouldn't hesitate to throw this on when I had guests over to generate a sort of "sad Mannheim Steamroller" aura. Decent stuff, especially since I think the songwriter was like 15 when he wrote this. Makes me kinda wish I'd tried my hand at the guitar rather than Half Life 2. Awe well.

I'd also suggest headphones, preferably ones with a strong bass
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Last edited by darkeningday on Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:23 pm 

darkeningday listens to music?

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Goodly Hah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:33 pm 

Elsiane - "Time for Us"

Well, I really don't know what I would call this, and I'm not sure I like it either. It starts off promising enough, with some nice, vaguely Eastern string sounds and a few electronics and subtle beats in the background, but then the vocals come in over some sort of synth bass (?) and it all falls apart for me. Her voice is far too high-pitched and girlish for my tastes, like some sort of bizarro Ellie Goulding, and comes with an irritating nasal tone and weird accent I can't place (the Bandcamp bio says these guys are Canadian, but it doesn't sound like that). But eh, I got past it after a while. The instrumental work is solid, I guess, but it begins to drag after a while. It's very competent, with some interesting switches of direction in the beat, a tasteful acoustic guitar solo and some pizzicato strings at the end, but it feels too... well, safe. It has a very polished, adult-contemporary vibe to my ears, and it's just too slicked up to have much impact. A little innocuous for my tastes.

Something a little more uptempo? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY9Uv0SpjWI

BE A MAN AND EXPLAIN THAT SHIT!

NuclearCreation91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:30 pm 

@darkeningday
darkeningday wrote:

Thanks for sharing this dude, this is some beautiful shit. I'll picking this album up as soon as I can.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:18 am 

@Goodly Hah & NuclearCreation91
The singer of Elsiane is Peruvian, although she definitely twists, warps and distorts her voice well beyond her accent. I realize that not everyone is going to like this approach but I think it makes the band far more distinct than if she sang more traditionally. For what it's worth, she definitely CAN sing "normally," as I've heard her guest for a few other bands/people before (see this timestamped video). And NuclearCreation91, you should also look into their debut, Hybrid, which I find almost as good as Mechanics of Emotion.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:57 am 

Goodly Hah wrote:
Eclipse - Unspoken Heroes

Wow, uptempo indeed. Honestly I really didn't enjoy this hard rollickin' tune, with it's full blown studio wizardry, and cleaner than a surgery sound - but damn it's loud! Not sure where these guys are from, but it does sound like it could have been a Eurovision entrant at some stage. There are some splashes of quasi-metal drum patterns here (at a stretch), with hints of double bass to bolster the rockin' riffs, that are full of a puppy dog with a stiffy enthusiasm, which if I'm honest aren't that bad, but they aren't earth movers either - it's all very "nice" and "inspiring" (given the lyrical nature), appealing to you join in the praise of the unspoken heroes. There is no way I could take an entire album of this kind of stuff though... vocally it's rather good I suppose, with strong, clear tones, and the climax in a prolonged key change was welcome, but for me this was rock by numbers, and waaay too energetic for me.

And now for something completely different.

My collection

Goodly Hah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:26 pm 

The Cure - "Prayers for Rain"

Ah yes, Disintegration! Probably my favourite Cure album, mostly for songs like this which hark back to the old gothic edge of their early work. It's a slow and moody track, driven by an ominous clean guitar riff and a layer of chilly synth strings, which always kind of feels like it's going to break out into some grand climax (particularly with the occasional louder drum fills - nice touch by Boris Williams there), but never quite does. It's haunting and atmospheric, epic even, though it can get a little repetitive. But the star of the show here is Robert Smith, and the music provides the best possible background for him to emote over. He dominates the verses, with an amazing, plaintive vocal, and he wrings every ounce of emotion out of the lyrics. His singing is a little ragged, as usual, but it works to his benefit against the darkly grandiose music - he sounds like a man coming apart at the seams, and it's simply heart-rending. A beautiful and affecting piece of work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcrj-FFK4MM

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:10 pm 

Catherine Wheel: "Black metallic"

This is a good band, who I knew about way back as a teen, but whom I've only really come to like in the last four years or so perhaps. It's all very 90s sounding, but also rather British somehow. Dreamy and romantic, yet also delicate, liable to slip into a dopey opium-infused daze at the slightest provocation. The music is lead by some pretty strong and expressive guitarwork and very soft, almost childlike singing that gives a slightly deceptive air of innocence to the whole proceeding. This is a slow, passionate piece whose climax is probably the emotional lead melody/solo followed by a quiet section where vocals and bass take prominence behind some gentle, shivery guitars. I've often wondered how much post90s Katatonia owes to this band, in particular. This was a nice reminder and suits my mood well today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaX9gMt6sXg
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:33 am 

Rory Gallegher - Do You Read Me

Right off the bat we have some funky-ass druming soon accompanied by some slick blues licks. In comes the organs and a slick bluesy classic rock croon. Overall a really enjoyable tune, can definitely hear some Rolling Stones in this. Everything here is good, really tight musicianship. Love them bluesy solos. Really should check out more from this dude, while this wasn't exactly something new, this is just a really good, tight tune.

Ten points if you know what classic death metal tune this beat is taken from:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X0J4gavCM8

Goodly Hah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:01 pm 

Goretex - "Extreme Makeover"

Ten points for me! It's a sample of Death's "Zombie Ritual", and a well-done one, I might add, giving it an electronic spin. It pulls off a neat trick with sampling, in that the sample is easily distinct and recognizable without it being a total steal. Which is good, because there's not much more to the beat than that one sample - there's a nice laid-back hip-hop groove to it, but otherwise it's almost too simple for me. Thankfully, there's some good rapping over it. I don't know much about hip-hop, but this guy has a decent flow, a fair amount of passion in his delivery without devolving into screaming all of his lyrics, and a few nice lines. Not much more to say, really. This song is almost too simple for me, but it's well-crafted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOouDiIx6r4

caspian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:18 pm 

Ashes of Iron- Martyr

Hey this is pretty cool. Rocks fucken hard, I'm kinda surprised this isn't on the archives as there's certainly plenty of metal influence in it. Not hugely familiar with this genre but it sounds a lot like a more melodic take on Doomriders. Chorus is huge, pretty massive sounding guitars throughout, although maybe the main riff gets overplayed a bit. Still a really cool tune though and if I wasn't so hungover right now I'd probably be loving it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MVqfii6Fhc

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:25 pm 

Wooden Shjips - Lazy Bones

First, I did some research and it looks like this is Psychodelic/Space Rock.
So, this one has a catchy rock rhythm (dictated by the distorted guitar and the drum pattern, that carries on the whole song), and also some ambiance going on the background (I suppose this a common feature of the genre). The vocals are soothing.
In some parts of the song, there's some dissonance happening on.
I must say I liked it. Maybe because I like some Sludge/Stoner metal myself (which, sometimes, tend to approaches the songs the same way this one did). Even if you are not into these soft rock types, this one can also be a calming background music for whatever you are doing (reading, studying, trying to sleep, whatever).
Track rating: 5/5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Ngg43xoyo
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

Goodly Hah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:52 am 

Squarepusher - "Tundra"

Aside from some vague association with Aphex Twin, I had no real idea what to expect from Squarepusher's music. Well, this is an interesting electronic (no idea what subgenre this is) track with a fantastic build-up. The opening section of cold, ambient synths gets joined by slowly building beats, and it's quite beautiful. It soon turns into a fast breakbeat, but the ambient melody continues to play over it and provide an interesting contrast. The whole song continues in this vein, switching between sections driven by frenetic breakbeats (all of which sound different and unique and never overpower the rest of the track) and gentle ambient sections, all while never losing hold of the track's melancholic melody. It's a masterful act of composition, the main melody changing subtly throughout and never getting boring, and the contrast of the icy, distant melodies with the frantic beats gives it some light and shade. I'm not that much into electronic music, but this was fantastic.

Finally figured out which thread to post this in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKc-GtnF7HU

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:48 am 

Ulver - Christmas

Hah, you tricky bastard. I own Bergtatt and Nattens Madrigal and they're two of the best black metal albums in existence, but their later career is hit-or-miss at best. I bought Wars of the Roses on impulse when I saw it but that one largely underwhelmed me; it had a cool atmosphere, but no real memorable moments. There was nothing to ground me, it just kind of floated around, being sort of pretentious. However, I know that they can get it right--VERY right--i've sampled Eos and Blinded by Blood on youtube and those two tracks in particular are friggin sublime. This, though...I'm never sure what to make of it. It's got a lot of stuff going on, there's a great general aesthetic pinned down and lots of dynamics and theatrics but none of it ends up sticking out in a good way. It sounds like carnival music being sung by an angelic choir, and it's interesting but I never remember what any of it sounds like when the song is done.

This guy was raised in my hometown. I was surprised, I didn't know anything of artistic worth besides SIG:AR:TYR had come out of here...

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:12 pm 

SIG:AR:TYR are awesome, can't wait for his next album.

Shad - Rose Garden

Ah, I remember my buddy showing me this a year ago. I really liked it but forgot to check more of the dude's stuff out. I like the playful (yet organic) beat, the female vocals really add a nice touch. His lyrics are smart but still fun. It's always good to hear good stuff out of my home province (especially since I now live in Quebec where there is a deep well of great extreme metal), and this does not disappoint. This is a really cool song to chill out to and I really should get around to checking more of this dude's stuff out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUiZHt6sqg4

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:58 pm 

X - Los Angeles

Always been an X fan, one of my favorite old school punk acts. This is a fun and catchy tune for sure. I love Exene's vocals, and as usual they shine in this song. It's a quick, simple song, not a whole lot of variety, but that's what's to expect from bands like this. But I quite enjoy jamming through a bunch of catchy songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0YcfiSR-wg

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:34 pm 

Pygmy Lush - It's A Good Day To Hide

First, I loved the video!

This is some high quality Indie Rock indeed. The song progresses slowly, with calming vocals.
The rhythm is led by the acoustic guitar, and the drumming is done on rock fashion. You can occasionally hear the bass.
There's a quieter part halfway through the song, this one catched my attention. I think I did not really get it's point, but after it the song changes (a bit) the pace, and then it's already at the ending.
Highly atmospheric.

~~~~
I changed the last one because I did not know it was metal enough to be in the archives!
So here is another one instead:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsJ9PV3Vk9Q

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:15 pm 

Triarii - Les Extremes Se Touchent
Very Roman sounding, has an epic atmosphere of military might. I've never heard martial industrial before, so I can't really compare this to other songs. It does drag a bit, I think it could be a bit shorter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27Ut989E ... A23AAC0DEA

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:41 am 

Paranoid - Strain

I know nothing about this band, but I'll say German industrial rock mixed with early American EDM? I think that sounds about right. It's super catchy. Essentially pop music masked in slight distortion and reverb - not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, it plays to its strengths well, crafting a relatively interesting rhythm underneath the rather bland verse/chorus/verse structure. The lyrics are terrible - which leads me to believe that it's not an American or English band, and that cheesy accent doesn't help. But, there's an interesting breakdown halfway through the song that has these pulsating gyrating rhythms underneath a siphoning filtered synth that reminds me of early 80s goth club music, so there's a soft spot - especially during the post 3:25 melody change.

That being said, I'll never listen to this again, but it was definitely a decent amount of fun.

Now, for something that will FUCK YOUR FACE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uog1U_Kemlk

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:07 am 

@PhilosophicalFrog
PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Paranoid - Strain
The lyrics are terrible - which leads me to believe that it's not an American or English band, and that cheesy accent doesn't help.

It's german (written is the video description).

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:43 pm 

Les Rallizes Dénudés - Night Of The Assassins

i don't know why i listened to the whole thing. it's basically a bassline from a song out of the movie grease played over and over and over and OVER while occasionally some dude mumbles into a mic and another holds his guitar too close to the amp. 12 minutes and not a damn thing happened, no sweet rhythm, nothing. just the 8-bit melody from california games and white noise. i definitely failed to recognise the genius in this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li2t_XbXaRY

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:26 am 

Surprising, the guy who posts some broke-ass German version of a Def Leppard song doesn't appreciate the nuances of cult experimental Japanese psychedelic.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:46 pm 

oh get your hand off it, nuances my arse. it was complete monotonous garbage - drugged out nonsense with no possible appeal to anyone but other druggos and wankers ready to look down their noses at the unwashed masses who don't "get" it. i do like the way you implicitly suggested i'm too working class to understand its brilliance, though. nice touch.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:12 pm 

:lol: that did come off way more condescending than it should have. But yeah, you don't get it. It's cool. There's not a ton to get. but the little there is (repetition, fuzz, distortion, feedback), you don't get. No big deal. It's the same for people who like Nicki Minaj and then go and tell us that metal is noisy and simple. it's not offensive, it's just what it is. That being said, maybe you are "too working class". But, more likely, you like your music straightforward and simplistic, whereas I like mine simplistic and meandering. Simply put, if you don't like that at all, and then post up a Kraut version of Kiss, don't be surprised I think you're missing the point. It's not pearls before swine, there's no superiority here, I don't think I'm better than you. It's like Grateful Dead before die-hard AC/DC fans, or to completely strip away metaphors, it's like showing Japanese cult music to a guy who likes German powerpop/hair metal. I don't think you're swine. I just don't think you have a taste for genuine psychedelic or noisy rock.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next