Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:44 am 

Hi,
I just found the new Deftones (Koi No Yokan) will be published this 13th November.

Tracklist:
01. Poltergeist (Roller Derby)
02. Romantic Dreams
03. Leathers
04. Swerve City
05. Entomb (Dazzle)
06. Graphic Nature
07. Tempest
08. Gauze
09. Rosemary
10. Goon Squad
11. What Happened To You? (Flashback)

Here's the Tempest single:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIgNBxNvAJg

Lyrics:
Quote:
Take
Out the stories
They've put into your mind and brace
For the glory
As you stare into the sky.. The sky beneath
I know you can't be tired..
Lay there
Stare at the ceiling
And switch back to your time just go ahead now try and taste it I know it should be ripe...thrust...ahead.
Turning in circles
Been caught in a stasis
The ancient arrival
Cut to the end
I'd like to be taken
Apart from the inside
Then spit through the cycle right to the end
I wonder just how you shaped it To get back to your prize...thrust..ahead
Turning in circles
Been caught in a stasis
The ancient arrival
Cut to the end
I'd like to be taken
Apart from the inside
Then spit through the cycle right to the end
Wake for the glory
I know you can't be tired

Leathers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPO81Fz4s2g

Moreno and Vega dishing on "Leathers":
http://www.purevolume.com/news/deftones ... m-premiere

Thanks.

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:55 pm 

I've listened to Leathers and Tempest, and I have to say, I'm really looking forward to the rest of Koi No Yokan when it's released. I think that Koi No Yokan (or at least the 2 lead songs) will more or less make up for the strange mess that was Diamond Eyes.

mirages
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:00 pm 

I like "Leathers" but "Tempest" just bores me.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:41 pm 

Kigo7 wrote:
I've listened to Leathers and Tempest, and I have to say, I'm really looking forward to the rest of Koi No Yokan when it's released. I think that Koi No Yokan (or at least the 2 lead songs) will more or less make up for the strange mess that was Diamond Eyes.

I feel Diamond Eyes was their best album since White Pony, and probably their most consistent overall (it just never reaches the highs that White Pony does). Their last four albums have all been great, and I hope that the new one continues the winning streak (if the new songs are any indication, then it will). I do like the first two, but I think everything from White Pony onwards is on another level.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:11 am 

Kigo7 wrote:
I think that Koi No Yokan (or at least the 2 lead songs) will more or less make up for the strange mess that was Diamond Eyes.

I agree about Diamond Eyes been somewhat a mess.

mirages wrote:
I like "Leathers" but "Tempest" just bores me.

Sorry but I haven't yet REALLY listened to the songs.

lordcatfish wrote:
I do like the first two, but I think everything from White Pony onwards is on another level.

I agree too but, at this moment, my personal favourite is (2006) Deftones - Saturday Night Wrist.

SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:33 am 

Definitely going to pick this one up when it drops. I've been a Deftones fan since Adrenaline, and am always anxious to hear what they'll put out next. I didn't really like either the self-titled album or Saturday Night Wrist when they first came out, but after spinning them for a while I changed my mind. I love the fact that Deftones are a bit of a grower band.

Oblivion_Gene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:26 pm 

I've loved Deftones for years, and they never seem to disappoint. I'm enjoying the new tunes so far.

mirages
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:26 pm 

I like Around the Fur and their self-titled, don't care much for their other stuff

mirages
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:46 pm 

I'm the only one who thinks that the cover of the single "Leathers" is way better than the cover of the album that includes it?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:34 pm 

You know, back when I was really into alternative rock and the like from 1998-2004 I thought Deftones were one of the weirdest bands. I didn't dislike them, but I never checked out their entire albums. I mainly stuck to the hits off of White Pony and "Minerva" from the s/t because of the music videos, but then I found extreme metal in 2004 and left these guys to the void. After hearing that song in the op, I want to get back into these guys because that reminded me of how good they were.

You know, some strange part of me thought these guys were nu-metal. Amazing how they kept a stable line up for 20 years.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Oblivion_Gene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:35 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
You know, some strange part of me thought these guys were nu-metal. Amazing how they kept a stable line up for 20 years.

How these guys get categorized in the same genre as chumps like Limp Bizkit is beyond me. They've always had a unique sound and yes, it's pretty incredible that the lineup has stayed consistent all these years (with the exception of their bassist who's been in a coma for a solid couple years).

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:41 pm 

Oblivion_Gene wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

How these guys get categorized in the same genre as chumps like Limp Bizkit is beyond me. They've always had a unique sound and yes, it's pretty incredible that the lineup has stayed consistent all these years (with the exception of their bassist who's been in a coma for a solid couple years).

Meh, again, back when TRL and music videos were my music rotation, they were all alternative rock to me. Was too lazy to keep with these guys to pluck them out of that category with other bands. I just read about what happened to the bassist and it's so tragic.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Xithyl
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:51 am 

mirages wrote:
I'm the only one who thinks that the cover of the single "Leathers" is way better than the cover of the album that includes it?

You're not alone. This is fact, without question.

mirages
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:43 am 

Xithyl wrote:
You're not alone. This is fact, without question.

yeah the actual cover is damn meh

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:13 pm 

http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode= ... mID=181982

New album in full stream.

I'm liking the vocals a lot, but the instant groove / nu-tone for the guitars in the first song is a turn-off. The atmosphere is great, though.

mirages
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:30 pm 

Already listened the new album, much in the vein of Diamond Eyes, uninteresting imo.

Primate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:33 am 

mirages wrote:
I like Around the Fur and their self-titled, don't care much for their other stuff

Same here. Their new stuff is a little bit too hipster-ish for me.

~Guest 219268
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:49 am 

I used to dismiss Deftones as angsty rap-metal with marginally more substance than usual, but upon my first listen to "Romantic Dreams" off Koi No Yokan, I more or less instantly changed my mind. I still think the first two albums are pretty dreadful, but I'm slowly discovering the rest of their discography.

Nearctic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:31 pm 

I still rate White Pony as their best overall album but Diamond Eyes and now this new one are both excellent returns to form.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:28 pm 

Adrenaline and Around the Fur got a bunch of plays from my younger self when they first came out but that was about it. Listened to the stream of the new one and while it's certainly not bad I just can't get into that kind of stuff anymore. Need to go back and listen to the first 2 again though... been over a decade since I've heard either.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

orionparker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:39 pm 

Nearctic wrote:
I still rate White Pony as their best overall album but Diamond Eyes and now this new one are both excellent returns to form.

^this.

I completely agree. Around the Fur was good but White Pony was fantastic. I've already listened to Koi No Yokan multiple times and will probably give it another spin over the holiday break.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:03 am 

HarbouringTheSoul wrote:
I used to dismiss Deftones as angsty rap-metal with marginally more substance than usual, but upon my first listen to "Romantic Dreams" off Koi No Yokan, I more or less instantly changed my mind. I still think the first two albums are pretty dreadful, but I'm slowly discovering the rest of their discography.

Nearctic wrote:

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Adrenaline and Around the Fur got a bunch of plays from my younger self when they first came out but that was about it. Listened to the stream of the new one and while it's certainly not bad I just can't get into that kind of stuff anymore. Need to go back and listen to the first 2 again though... been over a decade since I've heard either.

orionparker wrote:
Nearctic wrote:

^this.
I completely agree. Around the Fur was good but White Pony was fantastic. I've already listened to Koi No Yokan multiple times and will probably give it another spin over the holiday break.

I PERFECTLY remember when (2000) Deftones - White Pony came out.
Me and some friends where into Deftones (first two albums) and where WTF with the new album! It was a strange at (first, dissapointing) movement from the band but, given some more listens, OMG! (2000) Deftones - White Pony is a monster of an album!
I think my least favourite is (2003) Deftones - Deftones and then...
(2006) Deftones - Saturday Night Wrist, (2010) Deftones - Diamond Eyes and (2012) Deftones - Koi No Yokan are good, REALLY good.
First albums where directly enjoyable but you must give the other ones more listening time to really enjoy them.

~Guest 300273
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:43 am 

I remember discovering Diamond Eyes and thought these guys were awesome. I was definetly excited to hear about them releasing a new album and thought Koi No Yokan was awesome as well. Definetly gonna check out Deftones older stuff. These guys are good.

Reply to topic