Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:05 am 

http://jme.bmj.com/content/early/2012/03/01/medethics-2011-100411.full

Abstract
Quote:
Abortion is largely accepted even for reasons that do not have anything to do with the fetus' health. By showing that
(1) both fetuses and newborns do not have the same moral status as actual persons,
(2) the fact that both are potential persons is morally irrelevant and
(3) adoption is not always in the best interest of actual people,
the authors argue that what we call ‘after-birth abortion’ (killing a newborn) should be permissible in all the cases where abortion is, including cases where the newborn is not disabled.

Quite a controversial topic and tricky to discuss.

Quote:
A serious philosophical problem arises when the same conditions that would have justified abortion become known after birth. In such cases, we need to assess facts in order to decide whether the same arguments that apply to killing a human fetus can also be consistently applied to killing a newborn human.

Such an issue arises, for example, when an abnormality has not been detected during pregnancy or occurs during delivery. Perinatal asphyxia, for instance, may cause severe brain damage and result in severe mental and/or physical impairments comparable with those for which a woman could request an abortion.

I know someone who has suffered from a lack of oxygen through the birth process, which resulted in a brain defect. Nevertheless, he is able to live a normal life and is also allowed -- and does -- drive a car for instance. The aspect of euthanasia hangs around this topic ...

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:01 pm 

I don't want to be disrespectful, but what exactly is the objective of this thread?

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:01 pm 

Aren't we ethically and morally obliged as human beings to do all we can to protect and care for helpless new borns? Not sure I want to live in a world where it's normal for a healthy infant to be considered for anything but our upmost support.

Often thought about those in the womb with a serious disability, and the care level they would need from the parent(s) for many years. Wouldn't like to be ever faced with such a decision and think only the mother should decide, and if she is unable finacially to raise the child but wants to understandably keep her child (what ever it's condition) the state should step in, we are in the twenty first century after all and money shouldn't be a relevant factor when one large missile costs as much as a person would need for care in its entire lifetime.

Maybe you can judge a species by how it looks after it's disabled and young especially at a time when they're at their most vulnerable?

When they're adults and inflict grevious harm and are a continued threat to others is another debate entirely.

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:28 pm 

The Pre-persons by Philip K. Dick seems like a relevant reading here. As for the actual article, its premise is flawed: not being able to attribute value to one's existence is no reason to be denied the right to life. Funny how the authors apparently don't consider being able to attribute value to one's existence reason enough to be granted the right to life, given how they use criminals sentenced to death penalty as an example of humans that aren't considered persons (by their own debatable definition of person) and therefore don't have a right to life.

PeachPit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:30 pm 

Isn't "after-birth abortion" just a nice way of saying infanticide?

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:19 pm 

PeachPit wrote:
Isn't "after-birth abortion" just a nice way of saying infanticide?

Only if you were throwing the infant into a river, or something. Come on. I don't agree with after-birth abortion, but abortion itself I'm all for. If a mother is not financially able to care for a child, the state should not HAVE to step in, she should of thought of that before having a baby. And if it was an accident, well, looks like you're going for an abortion, lady. I don't mean to sound callous, but the whole "Oh, you're murdering a fetus!" argument is such bullshit. It's not like they CAN'T have a baby ever again if they get an abortion.

In the case of after-birth abortion, though, that baby should be allowed to live simply on the grounds that the mother decided to have it, and now should face the music. Whether that's a punishment or a gift is left up to them, but if they didn't bother to get an abortion when the new-born was still an unconscious fetus, they don't deserve to have the choice anymore.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

PeachPit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:59 pm 

Burnyoursins wrote:
Only if you were throwing the infant into a river, or something.

Isn't that just another way of killing an... infant?

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:35 pm 

I just wanted to add something. It always should be the parents/woman's decision.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:50 pm 

Just wait until the world population exceeds 9 or 10 billion, or whatever amount necessary for a Malthusian catastrophe to occur in developing nations. Say there is a couple, and both are starving. They have a baby... that's a third mouth to feed. Why not kill it? The malnutrition of the mother might have already reduced the likelihood of the baby surviving anyway.

Brutal as it may be, that doesn't mean infanticide will become the norm in developed nations - only if localized poverty gets to such an extreme that illegal baby-killing is performed in these nations, but the perpetrators will probably face murder charges.

The world population is unsustainable as it is, and it is growing bigger and bigger by the decade. This will mean more starvation, more war, more strife and more dead babies.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:34 pm 

PeachPit wrote:
Burnyoursins wrote:
Only if you were throwing the infant into a river, or something.

Isn't that just another way of killing an... infant?

Oh my God. *laughs*

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

cahuich
Chemical Sexican

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:17 pm 

I'm pro-choice and all that progressive shit, but there's a point when a fetus becomes a viable product and thus is considered a (little helpless) person and at this point abortion becomes a big no no.

and this post-bitrh abortion means that if I'm not content with how my child is growing I can "abort" him, lets say, at Age 8.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:15 pm 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
Quite a controversial topic and tricky to discuss.

Not really. A line has to be drawn somewhere, for pragmatic juridical reasons, and anyone suggesting it should be placed at some point after the birth is a troll, desperately looking for attention, or one of those who should have been aborted themselves when they got to college. Most people with any real experience in life agree that late term abortions are already morally repugnant, and then someone has to suggest infanticide, probably just for shits and giggles; the result is that someone on the net takes it seriously enough to suggest it's a "tricky topic to discuss". It isn't, if you have half a brain; but any idea, no matter how outlandish, insane, retarded, or simply trolled well enough always has some support on the net, just because people are not the sharpest tools on this planet.

I'm sorry to say, but this thread is not viable, and must be aborted in the name of the MA Brain Function Eugenics Program. Too retarded to live, too infective in certain target audiences, and really pitiful to watch.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.