Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:54 pm 

Disclaimer: This thread is not the place to argue for or against Soulfly's inclusion into the Metal-Archives. This thread is also not the place to post cliché statements like, "Soulfly sux, trololol". Let's keep the discussion to the new album, the music of it when that starts trickling through the internet, the claims made, etc...

No audio samples yet that I could find, but the release date is March 13. Undoubtedly something will be revealed soon.

The album is called "Enslaved" and has an overarching theme of slavery. The new drummer David Kinkade described the sound as being, "Arise on crack". What could this mean? Through my experiences, it's always best to take statements from band members about the new album with a grain of salt. It could be something he said to get Soulfly and Sepultura fans excited for the new release, since Arise is a classic Sepultura album and the last release before they started going downhill. Or it could be true... but "on crack"? Does that mean faster, or more aggro? I hope it's a step up from Omen. I liked that album, but Soulfly has yet to release something that earns a permanent spot on my Zune.

It's no secret the band has been trying to return to Max Cavalera's thrash/death metal roots. This can be heard in songs as far back as Prophecy. Enslaved will probably continue the sound on Omen with its own evolution.

Several guest musicians appear, such as Travis Ryan of Cattle Decapitation, Dez Fafara of DevilDriver and Richie, Zyon and Igor Jr. Cavalera. So yeah, there is a song with four Cavaleras singing or whatnot.

Originally Adam Warren of Oceano was to be a guest vocalist, but Travis Ryan was brought in as his replacement. I hope this doesn't mean there is any deathcore influences on this album. Then again, Travis Ryan is known to rail against deathcore and hardcore dancing (I've seen T-shirts... and an onstage rant)

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Last edited by Goatfangs on Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:56 pm 

Incredibly generic album title.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Last edited by Diamhea on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:01 pm 

Band of old people compares upcoming release made 20+ years after their prime to classic recordings, ensures disappointment for all but the most ardent of people who stan for them. MORE ON THE NEWS AT 11.

peewtCF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:01 pm 

bullshit

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:09 pm 

When bands resort to saying it sounds like "X-Gem album", it's almost 100% disapointing. The only time a band has ever been kind of right was when Metallica said Death Magnetic would sound like the missing like between AJFA and BA. But then again they said a bunch of other things like it's the next MOP or BA, so fuck that shyt, this will be same old Soulfly.

WITTR
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:40 pm 

"Arise" on crack probably sounds like Korn's new dubsteb shit that's going on. Max, you better record some new stuff with Cavalera Conspiracy.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:00 pm 

Soulfly has progressively become more and more metal with each album which gets me really excited. I liked both Conquer and Omen a lot and have high expectations on this one. However I really have a hard time believing this will sound anything like Arise.

Just listen to Blunt Force Trauma which was supposed to be heavy as fuck. It's a good album, but it has nothing on the Sepultura classics.

Shalk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:05 pm 

I talked to Dave about it, he briefly said that the new Soulfly is the fastest shit Max have done since Arise. It will have groove but also speed and thrashy riffing (you'll find some thrash riffs, some thrashy stuff and the usual Soulfly fare).

About Dave - while I'm not a fan of him - he has an history on death metal (albeit short), with Arsis and Malevolent Creation. He did drums for 2 Borknagar albums (the second still unreleased) but from his live performance you can say that the guy loves to play fast and heavy stuff. He also was involved in some degree in the songwriting process of this new album, so maybe will be some very fast parts here and there.

Do I believe him? just half of it, since he's part of the band. Probably this will be heavier than the previous stuff, maybe closer to Chaos AD? who knows.

ODSM Page in Fb

Pedr00
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:49 pm 

With David Kinkade on drums (Joe Nunez really sucks) and Tony Campos on bass I expected a decent album. IMO, Conquer was the best album of them and Conquer has some flaws... Let's wait for this new one!

6Xul66
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:19 pm 

I stopped caring for Soulfly after Dark Ages. Conquer had one or two decent moments but its was mostly boring. And from what little I've heard of the Omen record I'm safe to say its total crap. If they released anything as half as good as Dark Ages or Prophecy I'll be somewhat interested in the new album.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:27 pm 

Didn't like earlier Soulfly, but I honestly thought Conquer was a really good album. Better than anything Max Cavalera had touched since Chaos AD. I think Omen was a letdown, but I still think Max has flashes of brilliance. Hopefully this doesn't disappoint.

Ritual_Suicide
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:08 pm 

:roll:

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:11 pm 

Why is it when people want to compare something to something else like it's a pumped-up version of that thing, they'll say "It's like _____ on crack!"...? If I wanted a better version of something, I certainly wouldn't want it to start smoking crack, it'd get all fucked up and gross.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:24 pm 

Max simply can't be trusted. Been that way far too long now.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:45 pm 

I'll have to hear it first before I totally write it off. I never listened to Soulfly (never cared for their music) but this might be intriguing. Thing is though, "Arise on Crack" could mean anything. Heck, people could say that describes a lot of generic nu-metal.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:10 pm 

I think you'd have to be on crack to think any Soulfly album is comparable to Arise.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:40 am 

Goatfangs wrote:
This thread is not the place to argue for or against Soulfly's inclusion into the Metal-Archives.

So then why'd you originally post it in Metal Discussion? ;)

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:33 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Goatfangs wrote:
This thread is not the place to argue for or against Soulfly's inclusion into the Metal-Archives.

I felt there was enough relevance to the metal genre for this thread to be posted in Metal Discussion despite Soulfly not being included in the Metal-Archives yet.

But it doesn't matter where it's posted. I just felt that the new album and what information has been revealed were interesting enough for its own thread. It's also inevitable that a track might be released ahead of schedule and this thread would serve as a point where such things are discussed.

Though the only issue I have with this thread being moved to the Tavern is when a track is released ahead of schedule (such as by being posted on Youtube) and someone posts a new thread because they didn't think to look in the Tavern as well.

I'm just going by my habits, since I always check Metal discussion first. Of course if I do come across a track from Enslaved I will post it in this thread.

Just noticed that Tony Campos from Static-X is the bass player on this album. But he also played for Asesino. So this might point toward either a progression into faster, heavier territory, or a regression into alternative/nu metal. Or neither. Going by the past few albums I doubt Soulfly is ever going to use jumpdafuckup riffs again.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Starwind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:11 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Goatfangs wrote:

I'm really curious as to why this thread was moved. This isn't a rally for their inclusion in the archives, or a defense of their "metalness"... so really, how did this thread not warrant being included in metal discussion? A (former) metal musician makes a claim that he'll be returning to his thrash roots... a tad generic, but I wouldn't say it's in any way less metal than Marilyn Manson saying he's going to make a death metal album. Manson's never been metal and his teaser for the new album proved that he was full of shit, yet that thread has been sitting in the first few pages of metal discussion since last April. It's still on page 3... no lock, no move, 250 replies and 7 pages of content. And what about every pre-Death Magnetic thread about Metallica when they were playing nothing but radio rock and nu metal?

I honestly couldn't give two shits about Max's painfully average band, but I'll still be interested in seeing if his claims hold water (unlikely) and it would be nice to have all discussion of this upcoming album in one single thread, instead of floating around in different sub-forums. All this really ensures is that this thread gets a lot less attention, and that you'll have to either lock, move or consolidate the extra threads that will inevitably pop up in the next two to three months.

I don't really mean any disrespect to the mods; it's their decision... I just think that this thread contains enough "metal content" to warrant being where it'll be discussed.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:18 pm 

Starwind wrote:
snip

Seems failsafeman was the one who moved it.

The only thing I would say in favor of moving this thread back to Metal discussion is at some point there will be more revealed about this album, most importantly samples or even entire songs being leaked onto Youtube. Say a song is posted on Youtube, even if someone were to post about it in this thread, it might get missed by someone who was just looking on Metal discussion for any thread about Soulfly's new album and a new thread might result. They'd post a new thread without thinking that it might be in the Tavern instead.

Doesn't matter to me where this thread is. Though it makes sense to have it in metal discussion since Soulfly has been putting out metal albums.

"Arise on crack" Hmmm... still trying to figure out what this would mean. I don't think it'll mean faster, since Arise is quite uptempo. There could be blast beats, which would be a welcome addition to Soulfly (especially since they've flirted with death metal on more than a couple songs). Or it could mean it is "heavier" than Arise. Not necessarily a bad thing, Soulfly even has a doom metal song on Conquer (Touching the Void). Or it could be baloney.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:06 am 

Starwind wrote:
but I wouldn't say it's in any way less metal than Marilyn Manson saying he's going to make a death metal album. Manson's never been metal and his teaser for the new album proved that he was full of shit, yet that thread has been sitting in the first few pages of metal discussion since last April.

Report the thread and I'll move it. Not that hard.

(Also, I went on page 3, did ctrl + f for "manson", no result. Maybe it hasn't been moved because no one noticed it? Nah, couldn't be...)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Starwind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:34 am 

It's been pushed to page 4 now. Like I said, it's been around since April with 250 replies. A few mods also posted in there. It doesn't much matter, I was just wondering why the threads got different treatment, seeing as they're both essentially "non-metal guy says he's going to make a metal album". I'd figure that Max would actually warrant a metal discussion thread over Manson, solely due to the pre-Chaos AD albums. Then again, knowing the community's history of constantly bitching about letting Soulfly in the archives, I can empathize with the mods wanting to take this thread out of the limelight. I'll just shut up now and redirect anyone making new threads to this one.

Apologies if I came across as an asshole. I know you've had to deal with an unnecessary amount of shit in regards to this band.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:29 am 

Goatfangs wrote:
Doesn't matter to me where this thread is. Though it makes sense to have it in metal discussion since Soulfly has been putting out metal albums.

Jesus fucking Christ man, give it a goddamn rest. If this thread turns into an outlet for more of your endless whining about Soulfly not being included in the Archives I'm just going to lock it. The decision has nothing to do with you and never will. If they do actually end up putting out an album that is undeniably metal, the mods will discuss it in private. Until then, shut up.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:02 pm 

Didn't mean for that to sound like I was arguing for Soulfly being included in the archives (It'd go against my own disclaimer in the OP). Sorry about that.

So I was trying to browse articles about previous Soulfly and Cavalera Conspiracy albums to see if any similar statements were made regarding their sound. I did find Max Cavalera stating that Conquer would make "Dark ages sound like a pop album" ..... well, does it?

Though the "Arise on crack" statement was made by David Kinkade, not Max Cavalera. Based on David's past bands, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Enslaved is going to sound a bit like Arise with the addition of blast beats and death metal elements.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:51 am 

So... in a twitch of curiosity, I asked David Kinkade. He has a Youtube account and posts videos of him drumming. I posted a question on one of those videos (link below):

JoeCapricorn (me) wrote:
So the new album is supposed to sound like "Arise on crack", will that mean heavier or faster than Arise?

And David Kinkade responded:

DRUMMERDAVEKINKADE wrote:
Thanks. Let me make something a bit more clear in which I want to mention once Enslaved is out. When I said Arise on crack, it was from a drummers standpoint regarding drums. Now that its done, all I can say is that its my best work ever, its the heaviest, fastest and most epic thing Max has ever done and thats a bold statement. Its a very refreshing record especially during a time when every band sounds the same and makes the same record over and over. Youll love it.

Okay, so the "Arise on crack" was from a drummer's stand point. The guy is a good drummer, the last song in the video (Porrada) he had to read the tabs of in order to play it (as opposed to not playing it. This guy is willing to jump right in on songs he had a scarce amount of time to familiarize himself with). David Kinkade drummed on the most recent Borknagar album and a few MA reviews described it as "tight, chaotic" with "crushing blast-beats" and they switch "between a black metal pounding to a more jazz laden tap". Now he says it is the heaviest, fastest and most epic thing Max Cavalera has ever done. He realizes that's a bold statement and I always take such statements with a grain of salt... but what if he is right? What if we are looking at a true return to form for Max Cavalera? Time will tell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc1fc8ZC0Bs

ADesolationSong
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:39 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
What if we are looking at a true return to form for Max Cavalera?

I thought he just returned to form after "Dark Ages". Both "Conquer" and "Omen" kick ass, and he also came up with Cavalera Conspiracy. What the hell do you want, guys?

Sludgy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:07 pm 

OK, Dave says the new album turned out to be the heaviest and fastest album Max has ever come up with, and I can imagine that being true, but when he says it also turned out to be the most epic album Max has ever made, I just wonder what it sounds like.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:39 pm 

You can imagine that being true? Seriously. You have heard Schizophrenia and Beneath the Remains right? Those albums are scary fast. There is not even the smallest possibility that this will be the fastest thing he has ever done.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:06 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
You can imagine that being true? Seriously. You have heard Schizophrenia and Beneath the Remains right? Those albums are scary fast. There is not even the smallest possibility that this will be the fastest thing he has ever done.

Totally agree. There's always hot air every time Soulfly releases new material. Arise on crack? I'm not putting any money on it.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Sludgy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:46 pm 

I agree on those albums being fast as fuck, but Max still writes fucking fast stuff now and then, and I don't see why he wouldn't be able to write some brutally fast thrash metal once again. Maybe all that turns out to be bullshit after all, but everything is possible.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:00 pm 

There are many other senses of "being on crack" than just being faster. Angrier, violent, psychotic or more energetic. I'm guessing the phrase is being used in one of those senses.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:12 am 

I actually hope there is a doom track on this album - with Conquer that song was Touching the Void.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:26 am 

I've listened to most of Conquer and Omen, and while yeah, they're far and away the best Soulfly material, I still didn't like it all that much. For me to believe they'll just start making music more intense or brutal or epic than Arise is just silly.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Pedr00
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:05 am 

I liked what I heard on this promotional video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrpaN6Ui ... r_embedded

Btw, awful cover... seems like be done in ms paint.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:00 am 

Pedr00 wrote:
I liked what I heard on this promotional video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrpaN6Ui ... r_embedded

Btw, awful cover... seems like be done in ms paint.

Whoa.. speaking of crack, take a look at Max's teeth. I had no idea he looked so bad nowadays.

DemonHellSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:09 am 

On crack? More like buttcrack imo.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:38 pm 

Was that the bassist from Static-X? Yeah fuck this.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:59 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Was that the bassist from Static-X? Yeah fuck this.

Don't forget that he's the bassist and singer in Asesino too.

I talk with David all the time on Facebook, and he's told me of all of Soulfly's plans for 2012 once the album comes out. I think the album will be pretty good. I quite like that Soulfly's been getting more and more "true" metal since Dark Ages, and even then some of the tracks on Prophecy like Porrada were rather metal. I'll probably like Enslaved too.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:43 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
The album is called "Enslaved" and has an overarching theme of slavery. The new drummer David Kinkade described the sound as being, "Arise on crack". What could this mean?

That sounds to me like "Max on crack" (and needing money for more).
Sorry.

Last edited by BasqueStorm on Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inflikted
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:24 pm 

I want a new Cavalera Conspiracy, Goddammit! :fuck:

Wow! I had no idea there were so many norsecore bands! :D

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next