Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:18 pm 

Dallasa wrote:
This whole anti-piracy crusade pisses me off because it's blatantly not about piracy. It's all about control. Most of these so-called "pirate" sites were NOT created for pirating, they were created for people to be able to share information freely. The amount of money that corporations lose to the pirates that do use these sites, while debatable, is either next to nothing or nothing, and they know that. Where they DO lose money, however, is through the internet as a whole, now that people don't need newspaper subscriptions to get news, now that independent artists can distribute their material by themselves cheaply, etc. The corporations want these sites shut down in an attempt to return our society to how it was pre-internet, when barely anything could be done without paying corporations for the service, and when the ones who controlled the flow of information were the ones who could afford it.

That's my take on it. As an aside, I always laugh when I see corporations claim millions or billions of dollars of losses due to piracy, yet somehow can still find the money to waste billions of dollars on bribing politicians to come up with stupid laws that almost always fail or are ineffective.

Well said.

pbsisbad
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:33 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
Could you please put that in a spoiler box. Really don't need a giant image protruding like that, even if you're very proud of yourself.

Yeah sorry about that. I didn't realize that it would be huge, because I forgot that I used a huge resolution.

If you want to spread the picture, go nuts. I am following the TOC of the person who made the font, Paint.NET, and the website which hosted the camera, so you may do whatever you want with it.
So you go to a show, and you can't mosh... who cares. Are you there to run into people or to listen to the music? If you want to run into people go to the mall and run through groups of mall goths or something for fun.

TIMJ Profile

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:21 am 

pbisbad, ACTA has already been signed into law in the United States for a few weeks now.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:59 am 

I think I'll stop downloading movies when Hollywood stops remaking and milking movies. Give us something new and original. Ive only downloaded a few movies, two of which were remakes(Fright Night and The Thing). Both were felt lazy(horrible cgi, etc).

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:47 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
I think I'll stop downloading movies when Hollywood stops remaking and milking movies. Give us something new and original. Ive only downloaded a few movies, two of which were remakes(Fright Night and The Thing). Both were felt lazy(horrible cgi, etc).

I agree, 100%. Can't come up with a original and creative idea to save their lives, so they claim that these old movies need to be "updated".

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:14 pm 

WebOfPiss wrote:
pbisbad, ACTA has already been signed into law in the United States for a few weeks now.

:brick:

pbsisbad
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:40 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:

Yeah, I know. We Americans can protest, or convince Obama to take back the agreement. As for those in countries which haven't signed, you guys need to protest this law.

Do realize that if ACTA becomes considered a treaty, it is unconstitutional for the President to make it law, and some people are starting to see it this way. Also, in Poland and the rest of Europe, there are vast protests. Hell, Anonymous made an IRL protest. If the other three countries sign into this law, there will be revolts.
So you go to a show, and you can't mosh... who cares. Are you there to run into people or to listen to the music? If you want to run into people go to the mall and run through groups of mall goths or something for fun.

TIMJ Profile

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:37 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:

The Thing wasn't a remake. It was a badly marketed prequel.

On topic, several European countries have suspended ratification of ACTA, and it's legality in the US is dubious at best. If it's a "treaty", then it isn't legal until ratified by 2/3 of the Senate. From what I understand, it hasn't even been submitted to the Senate, on the grounds that it isn't a "treaty" but an "executive agreement". If it's an "executive agreement" then it isn't binding and doesn't supersede US law.

If ACTA isn't a "law", which is does not appear to be, then individuals violating its provisions cannot be considered to have committed a legal offense. You can't be arrested, fined, or sued for violating ACTA. If your action also violates the laws of your country, of course you can be, but it would be because you violated the law, not ACTA.

Some of the more controversial aspects of ACTA, such as draconian border enforcement, have allegedly already been stripped. Border enforcement in trade agreements just means that the signatory country has to take some measure to ensure goods entering the country aren't in some violation of the trade agreement, i.e. conduct customs inspections. Border enforcement for ACTA would have allowed customs officials and even airport security to access your laptop, phone, mp3 player, or other device and look for illegal content. Silly on the face of it, since a) there's no way to examine a file and determine if it was purchased, ripped from a legally purchased CD or DVD, ripped from a bootleg, downloaded for free, or unDeRMined, and b) it's already illegal for officials to demand that you give up you password to any locked or encrypted drive or device. But it's exactly the kind of thing that technophobic lawyers think is a real gotcha.

By the way, "unDeRMined" is a term I just now coined to describe content that has had its DRM stripped. You're welcome.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:12 pm 

And what about this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Count ... _Agreement

Quote:
Protests in Europe on 11 February 2012On 11 February 2012 protest were held against ACTA in more than 200 European cities.

NOBODY is telling us about is being decided:

http://register.consilium.europa.eu/ser ... UMENT+DESC

ArranoBeltza
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:05 pm 

Well, it's not like the government needs these laws anyway. Those fuckers already shut down Megaupload, and I used to download things LEGALLY from there, as well as LEGALLY upload other things onto it.

Maybe a bit unrelated, but that shit really pisses me off.

DemonHellSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:18 pm 

GTog wrote:

Yes, to go off on a small tangent for a second, maybe if they hadn't followed the new fad of calling it just The Thing, maybe there wouldn't be any confusion. But now we have The Thing(s): 1951, 1982 and 2011. Give me a fucking break and put a subtitle in there or something. :brick:

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:37 pm 

DemonHellSpawn wrote:
GTog wrote:

Yes, to go off on a small tangent for a second, maybe if they hadn't followed the new fad of calling it just The Thing, maybe there wouldn't be any confusion. But now we have The Thing(s): 1951, 1982 and 2011. Give me a fucking break and put a subtitle in there or something. :brick:

When literally the first and last 10 minutes are only parts being a prequel and the rest being nearly a shot for shot remake, it's a remake to me.

Wolfcry
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:45 pm 

DemonHellSpawn wrote:
GTog wrote:

"The Thing: (is) We Just Want Your Money". What I don't get is Hollywood receive original and interesting films or scripts every now and then but they refuse to promote or give them good releases (or want the filmmakers to change to look like every other film). Very few (if any) of the remakes made have got any good reviews. I have been to the cinema 3 times in the last 8 years and two of those times I was dragged along with friends.

pbsisbad
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:45 pm 

People, back on topic!
Get this: there's another bill:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_Pro ... _Trade_Act
OPEN. It's supported by Google and Facebook. I don't like it, but it seems like a step in the right direction.

TIMJ Profile

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:17 pm 

Interesting plugin for Firefox: DeSopa (DNS Evasion to Stop Oppressive Policy in America)

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:24 pm 

kingnuuuur wrote:

Haha, nice.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:40 pm 

Well, apparently it didn't take long for the US to start making new legislation about this.

There's a petition against it for Americans.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:15 pm 

Damn, thanks for sharing this. Wouldn't have heard about it at all!

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

In
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:13 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
Well, apparently it didn't take long for the US to start making new legislation about this.

Holy shit, didn't Hollywood learn anything from the first time around? Americans don't want laws like this! Then again, Hollywood is deaf, and even if they could hear, they wouldn't care what the people have to say.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:00 am 

http://boingboing.net/2012/04/26/sneak- ... endme.html

One comment cracked me up pretty good, because of how true it is:
"As long as the US claims ownership over the internet it doesn't matter where people live."

Still, I hate this country and want to leave.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:18 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Still, I hate this country and want to leave.

I'm going to Europe after I get this damn degree. Join me. I'd go to Japan but the Oozaru comments would be non-stop.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:32 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:

Is there any way for non-americans to help stop this madness? I know this legislation won't affect me directly, but the american government likes to think they own the internet, and when the US government let this pass, Europe could shortly follow.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:53 pm 

Yeah, that's pretty much what I said in my post above. -Everyone- everywhere should be concerned about this.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:30 pm 

CISPA Bill Heads for The Senate: Tell Them No, No, HELL NO!
CISPA: Let Congress Know You Will Not Let Them Trash the Fourth Amendment

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:06 pm 

There's a petition against CISPA on change.org. I'm not sure how much good that can do, but at least it's open to international signers.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:54 pm 

Signed and will spread it around.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:27 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
There's a petition against CISPA on change.org. I'm not sure how much good that can do, but at least it's open to international signers.

Ah, thanks. Signed it, and will send it to some friends.

In
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:39 pm 

Here's a great hypothetical story on what it would be like if CISPA were passed into law.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:51 pm 

The latest threat against the Internet is called TPP, the Trans-Pacific Partnership, a "secret" international agreement developed behind closed doors by industry lobbyists. More information and a petition against it at http://stopthetrap.net

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:05 pm 

ACTA, Europe's SOPA sort of, got voted down by the European parliament yesterday with 39 votes for it, 478 against it and 165 abstentions.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:09 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
ACTA, Europe's SOPA sort of, got voted down by the european parliament yesterday with 39 votes for it, 478 against it and 165 abstentions.

Oh, good news. I thought that was on its way to passing.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:26 pm 

I think it's largely due to it getting massively unpopular thanks to the countless protests and campaigns that convinced even the most politically desinterested of how the thing would have limited their freedom... really shows how self interest is the only thing that gets people to actually making a difference. I'm glad though.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6