Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
EnemyofLight
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:55 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
I just really hope the big dogs (Google, Yahoo, Amazon, Facebook, etc) really go through with it. That'll slap a face off.

I'm hoping Youtube and Facebook join in. Google is doing something for it, limited search functions or something. I just think it would be stupid for video sites like Youtube to not protest this, as it could screw their entire company over. Everybody was getting mad that sites were going out, but I personally think it's a great thing.

I'll get some homework done for once.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:08 pm 

Hopefully those who get angry realize where their anger should be placed. And if some do cry over a few websites going down for a short time :finger: It is for the greater good.

In
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:09 pm 

Xeogred wrote:

Oh, the delicious irony.

Anyway, it's good to see MA participate in the blackout. Hopefully, we'll send a message that congress won't be able to ignore.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:36 pm 

List of sites going down:
http://sopastrike.com/

MPAA cries with tears of irony:
http://boingboing.net/2012/01/17/mpaa-i ... n-jan.html

Morrigan if you're reading this, IT'S AN ABUSE OF POWER TO SHUTDOWN YOUR OWN SITE!

Fucking gold. :lol:

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:12 pm 

On the other hand, that asshole doesn't think it's an abuse of power to force other sites to shutdown. The picture of a whiny child is quite appropriate.

The fact that the Metal-Archives is joining the blackout is a good thing - this is definitely an example of a site that would be at risk if SOPA or any of its ilk were to pass.

Does anyone know if Facebook is going to do a blackout? If not, I have something planned for my profile.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:38 pm 

Yeah, Facebook really needs to do it. Them alone would destroy this. I think they've been mentioned in articles but I haven't seen an official statement from them posted anywhere I don't think. Maybe it'll be a surprise? Hah.

Totally agreed that MA could be a big one, just any big site out there that relies entirely on user generated content could be at major risk from this. So kodus to MA and others joining in on the fun.

pbsisbad
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:18 am 

Welcome back MA
So you go to a show, and you can't mosh... who cares. Are you there to run into people or to listen to the music? If you want to run into people go to the mall and run through groups of mall goths or something for fun.

TIMJ Profile

ScorchedEarth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:43 am 

I really respect and admire the decision to join in on the biggest online protest in internet history by this site.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:42 am 

Totally worth it. Hardly anyone I knew was aware of SOPA until today, and today the vast majority of them were discussing internet censorship and sharing the petition on Facebook. Also, 10 senators dropped support.

Good work, internet.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:06 am 

I received this e-mail from Fight for the Future, who run a few anti-SOPA/PIPA sites. The part I emphasized seems like great news.

Quote:
Today was nuts, right?

Google launched a petition. Wikipedia voted to shut itself off. Senators' websites went down just from the sheer surge of voters trying to write them. NYC and SF geeks had protests that packed city blocks.

You made history today: nothing like this has ever happened before. Tech companies and users teamed up. Tens of millions of people who make the internet what it is joined together to defend their freedoms. The free network defended itself. Whatever you call it, the bottom line is clear: from today forward, it will be much harder to mess up the internet.

The really crazy part? We might even win.

Approaching Monday's crucial Senate vote there are now 35 Senators publicly opposing PIPA. Last week there were 5. And it just takes just 41 solid "no" votes to permanently stall PIPA (and SOPA) in the Senate. What seemed like miles away a few weeks ago is now within reach.

But don't trust predictions. The forces behind SOPA & PIPA (mostly movie companies) can make small changes to these bills until they know they have the votes to pass. Members of Congress know SOPA & PIPA are unpopular, but they don't understand why--so they're easily duped by superficial changes. The Senate returns next week, and the next few days are critical. Here are two things to think about:

1. Plan on calling your Senator every day next week. Pick up the phone each morning and call your Senators' offices, until they vote "no" on cloture. If your site participated today, consider running a "Call the Senate" link all next week.

2. Tomorrow, drop in at your Senators' district offices. We don't have a cool map widget to show you the offices nearest you (we're too exhausted! any takers?). So do it the old fashioned way: use Google, or the phonebook to find the address, and just walk in, say you oppose PIPA, and urge the Senator to vote "no" on cloture. These drop-in visits make our spectacular online protests more tangible and credible.

That's it for now. Be proud and stay on it!

--Holmes, Tiffiniy, and the whole Fight for the Future team.

___

P.S. Huge credit goes to participants in the 11/16 American Censorship Day protest: Mozilla, 4chan, BoingBoing, Tumblr, TGWTG, and thousands of others. That's what got this ball rolling! Reddit, both the community and the team behind it, you're amazing. And of course, thanks to the Wikimedians whose patient and inexorable pursuit of the right answer brought them to take world-changing action. Thanks to David S, David K, Cory D, and E Stark for bold action at critical times.

P.P.S. If you haven't already, show this video to as many people as you can. It works! http://fightforthefuture.org/pipa/

foul body autopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:12 am 

kind of a naive question, but if these legislations were voted in, it would only affect websites based on american soil, right? and if certain websites were taken offline, replicas could open up elsewhere they wouldn't be able to do anything about, except maybe just block them to american users?

csehszlovakze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:20 am 

foul body autopsy wrote:
kind of a naive question, but if these legislations were voted in, it would only affect websites based on american soil, right? and if certain websites were taken offline, replicas could open up elsewhere they wouldn't be able to do anything about, except maybe just block them to american users?

Yeah. Including MA if I'm right.

Links to my online presence

Cephalopod
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:53 am 

I used to kinda wish that SOPA would pass, since when it passes and piracy continues unabated then maybe our lawmakers would finally realize the futility of trying to prop up an obsolete marketing system by legal fiat. However, it has since been pointed out to me that it's likely that the authors of the bill knew that, and are only using piracy as a cover story so that they can sell a bill which allows their corporate masters to quash anyone, no matter how tiny, who stands between them and utter media monopoly. In fact, it might be even worse than that. Seeing as Silicon Valley is throwing its support against SOPA, this might have also been a ploy to get these companies, who normally don't spend very much money on lobbying, to put lobbying money into the D.C. system (to "pay what they owe").

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:15 am 

Yeah HB, that's the scary thing. This isn't a sure win until SOPA/PIPA are completely killed. Too many times will the government just reword a few things, change the name of some bill, and quietly pass it under the table months after it's been postponed or something. We can't let this happen with SOPA/PIPA or anything internet related.

Yesterday was great, but the fight has only begun.

Even one of the co-creators of PIPA I believe has backed out and said something along the lines of it damaging the internet as we know it. Way to know anything about a fucking bill you came up with yourself idiot, lol. Wow.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:18 am 

foul body autopsy wrote:

...Sort of. While I think the U.S. would have a hell of a time trying to actually shut down foreign websites, they could prevent American search engines from listing them, American websites from linking to them, American advertising companies from putting ads on them, American companies processing their payments...you get the idea. Since tons (most?) of those services are American, basically any site in the world would effectively be subject to these sanctions. Plus American copyright holders could sue foreign sites.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:54 am 

Exactly. This would hit the entire world.

foul body autopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:53 pm 

since you've but it that way, it actually sounds kind of ridiculous. almost as if the law (if it gets voted in) will give them the ability to hold a lot of worldwide internet sites to ransom given the power they seem to have behind the scenes. kind of unfair in way, given that no matter what stance countries take on freedom of speech, if the american law says no. then that will take precedence.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:57 pm 

A site with anti-SOPA/PIPA games:
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/sopajam/?action=preview

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:44 pm 

pbsisbad wrote:
Welcome back MA

Yes. Welcome back MA and kudos for the blackout.

This site openly opposed SOPA, while I saw Christian music studios openly supports SOPA. Country Music TV was also a supporter.

By principle, metal fans are the best. :headbang:

HisZvironistOverlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:04 pm 

In related news, no more megaupload.

Darkwolf18
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:10 pm 

oneyoudontknow wrote:

On that note, here's a list of companies supporting it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_or ... anizations

I'm calling for a complete boycott of all of these companies... I have told it to some friends, and they're behind it. Unfortunately, it would only work if it was organized on a mass level.

DemonHellSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:21 pm 

Great list, I was thinking about a boycott too. They deserve to pay just for trying.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:23 pm 

I think its great MA participated in the blackout. Looks like its losing support:
http://www.globalnews.ca/feature/6442562236/story.html

Also, I agree that a boycott against companies that support the bills would be effective if enough people participated.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:27 pm 

HisZvironistOverlord wrote:

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

The FBI accomplished nothing by shutting it down.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:39 pm 

If Mediafire is next, I will not be happy.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:46 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:

Same. Mediafire tends to fly under the radar as people, for some reason, prefer the sites with lame half-hour to 1.5 hour waiting times in between each download.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Darkwolf18
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:05 pm 

DemonHellSpawn wrote:
Great list, I was thinking about a boycott too. They deserve to pay just for trying.

Yeah, I'd love there to be one. Unfortunately, a cyber-boycott would do fuck all. We'd need to organize in real life to bring about change. A bunch of people sitting around on forums talking about a boycott will do nothing. I've already told some people I know about the idea, they love it!

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:32 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
MalignantThrone wrote:

Same. Mediafire tends to fly under the radar as people, for some reason, prefer the sites with lame half-hour to 1.5 hour waiting times in between each download.

I'd say rapidshare is the best at the moment. Really rapid (yes, cliche) downloading, even with a free account and I don't remember it having this long wait line between downloads anymore.

I'm pretty sure that awesomepantsdude is pretty pissed off now. :lol:

csehszlovakze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:48 pm 

If Mediafire will be shut down I'm sure someone will open a similar site in Europe (or another continent). I'm not talking about Rapidsh*t, since there are millions of "clones" (e.g. data.hu) already. The Internet won't die here. :) And if you're concerned about TPB, they've immunity to this "legislation".

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:56 pm 

colin040 wrote:
I'd say rapidshare is the best at the moment. Really rapid (yes, cliche) downloading, even with a free account and I don't remember it having this long wait line between downloads anymore.

Rapidshare did a complete turn-around recently. They went from one of the worst hosts with long wait times and annoying bullshit, to one of the best, removing their wait time completely and giving pretty good speeds even to users without accounts. I'm still mystified by all this. Since when do companies change for the better? o_O

The_Poltergeist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:06 pm 

csehszlovakze wrote:
If Mediafire will be shut down I'm sure someone will open a similar site in Europe (or another continent). I'm not talking about Rapidsh*t, since there are millions of "clones" (e.g. data.hu) already. The Internet won't die here. :) And if you're concerned about TPB, they've immunity to this "legislation".

Megaupload is Hong Kong based and most of the arrests in this took place in New Zealand, so I don't think it's going to matter a lot where a site is based unless they buy an island or something.

Also, I'm glad you cencored that s-word, we would have been really shocked at that.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:17 pm 

Sucks. Had a 2 year subscription on MU. :annoyed:

In
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:20 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
HisZvironistOverlord wrote:

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

The FBI accomplished nothing by shutting it down.

Indeed. For every site they shut down, about a hundred more will take its place.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:04 pm 

This is why you don't fuck with the internet, because it will fuck you right back ;)

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news ... mments-bar
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

Darkwolf18
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:12 pm 

IX Leviathan wrote:
This is why you don't fuck with the internet, because it will fuck you right back ;)

It was only a matter of time before Anon would do something like this, and I am 100% behind them.

I say they should "avenge" Megaupload as well.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:18 pm 

Darkwolf18 wrote:
IX Leviathan wrote:

It was only a matter of time before Anon would do something like this, and I am 100% behind them.

Agreed, and if Mediafire goes down, I'm gonna fuckin lose it. If this is the case I can see the next few days becoming a web race to see how many downloads you can get before the site goes down.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

csehszlovakze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:21 pm 

Darkwolf18 wrote:

That's what they're doing right now.

Last edited by csehszlovakze on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
DemonHellSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:24 pm 

csehszlovakze wrote:
And if you're concerned about TPB, they've immunity to this "legislation".

Yeah, because if they cut me off from torrenting every Doctor Who episode in the next few weeks, heads will roll.

Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:30 pm 

I'm glad Anon is fighting back but if they're really trying to unload their "largest attack ever" they need to hit something bigger than a few sites nobody's looking at anyway.

Oh well. They said they're not done. Should make for a fun night.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:37 pm 

Cinerary wrote:
I'm glad Anon is fighting back but if they're really trying to unload their "largest attack ever" they need to hit something bigger than a few sites nobody's looking at anyway.

Oh well. They said they're not done. Should make for a fun night.

I'm sure they will. If they had the capability to hack into Sony's servers and wind up having them shut down PSN and Qriocity for over a month I'd imagine there's a long list of things they plan on accomplishing by weeks end. Love it when the internet turns into a worldwide shitstorm... wait, no I don't.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next