Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:42 pm 

PT Instagram completley wiped and they posted this on their Facebook and Twitter pages. Steven Wilson posted it on his socials too.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=55894 ... aggr_v_ids

I would die if this is a new album. Steven has become unbearable since TTB. His latest was unlistenable.

Also, someone reversed and sped up the sample track on the video. That is absolutely Steven singing, and that is absolutley Gavin's drumming

https://youtu.be/448Z1yDu0Bs

Also, the copyright is from Sony, which could mean a new big label deal = new album??????

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:07 pm 

I wouldn't be surprised if they have a new deal with InsideOut Music, that's pretty much the label for prog rock/metal bands these days and considering they've signed pretty huge names like Yes and Jethro Tull recently it would be totally in character for them to pick Porcupine Tree up.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:35 pm 

I miss the sound these guys used to have, especially on Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun. I lost track of them years ago.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:11 am 

I love their 00s output especially, and some of Wilson's earlier solo material is brilliant, but these days he seems so far up his own ass that I worry if he could contain it for another great PT album.

~Guest 881392
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:53 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I love their 00s output especially, and some of Wilson's earlier solo material is brilliant, but these days he seems so far up his own ass that I worry if he could contain it for another great PT album.

As much as he's incredibly full of himself, wasn't most of PT his material anyways? A lot of their material is great but I still think The Incident was a horrible album by all means.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:58 am 

Sure, he's the brainchild and main writer. I haven't heard The Incident in quite awhile now, but I remember liking it well enough, though it was admittedly a step down from the prior three. He recovered with some of the later solo albums though.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:22 am 

I don’t know how I feel about this. I’d have to hear a full song.

If they retread the metal influenced sound, then this will ring hollow to me, especially because Wilson had previously stated (somewhat emphatically, to boot) he had no more interest in it.

Reunions, in general, ring hollow to me.

My current tastes gravitate to his solo work. I get that Porcupine Tree is essentially a solo venture anyways (regardless of lineup-it started as a solo venture, and even when it morphed into a band, Wilson wrote the vast majority of the songs and played a lot of keys and bass on the records in addition to guitars and vocals, not to mention being the producer), but I’d rather this be a Wilson solo album that happens to have Gavin on drums, that way there’s no expectations due to the weight of the name “Porcupine Tree”, and he can write what he wants to write.

I guess we’ll see when a full song is released.
Obliteration

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:25 am 

Lol, the instagram wipe is always a dead giveaway. I haven't tried any Porcupine Tree albums yet, but I'm planning to soon. If this album is out by them, I guess that's more material for me to try.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:56 am 

Never tried Wilson's solo material, but Porcupine Tree's Deadwing is a brilliant progressive rock album. Probably one of my favorite albums in the style, though I admittedly don't listen to the genre very much. I sampled The Incident and found it pretty lacking, and everything else I've heard from them has been pretty mixed as well (In Absentia was really front-loaded and none of their earlier stuff resonates with me at all). I'll at least be curious to check out anything new they put out though.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:16 am 

This is great news. ANY material with Wilson's stamp on it has been stellar, IMO. Not a single miss in his long discography!

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:47 pm 

I wasn't very fond of his solo album earlier this year.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:56 pm 

UPDATE: New video. Announcement Monday

So far, it looks like Colin Edwin won't be reuniting. Can't find the link, but a German ticketing agency showed a new promo pic of only the three of them (Steven, Gavin and Richard)

Hyped regardless

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:59 pm 

I am going to completely contradict my own post from above and allow myself to get hyped for this. I’m still preferring the solo albums these days (and I think The Future Bites is outstanding, personally), but want to keep an open mind.

Nothing to do Edwin apparently being out either (let’s be real, the only members of any consequence in PT are Wilson and Gavin); get Nick Beggs in there and we are good to go.

Let’s see what Monday brings.
Obliteration

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:13 pm 

Makes sense since Steven Wilson's career is at his lowest point in terms of quality and he hasn't been able to cash in the last tour so he needed to make a new deal with Sony to get the band together. Truly sad that a guy that complained about the music industry has ended up being a sad parody of himself. He doesn't have an ounce of integrity left at this point.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:30 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Makes sense since Steven Wilson's career is at his lowest point in terms of quality and he hasn't been able to cash in the last tour so he needed to make a new deal with Sony to get the band together. Truly sad that a guy that complained about the music industry has ended up being a sad parody of himself. He doesn't have an ounce of integrity left at this point.

I hate agreeing with this.

Also, Colin was super influential to the PT sound. His basslines added a lot to their sound, as did Richard's. PT would not be the same without him on keys

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:38 am 

What's a good first album to hear from these guys? One of those band's I've been meaning to check out for years. I'm not looking for heaviness necessarily; I can do prog.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:14 am 

Wahn_nhaW wrote:
What's a good first album to hear from these guys? One of those band's I've been meaning to check out for years. I'm not looking for heaviness necessarily; I can do prog.

In absentia or Fear of a blank planet.

Also:

Sounds like Hatesong pt. 2. Not great if you ask me. Predictable so far and it must have every Porcupine Tree cliché into one song: the repeated hypnotic bass line, the atmospheric keyboards in the background, the acoustic guitar break, the heavy riff in the middle, the part where Wilson does the humming, the electronic bit over the repeated bass line, the acoustic beautiful coda... it's like it was composed by an AI.

Sounds like the Porcupine Tree version of this one:

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:27 am 

It sounds great, but I'm on the opposite camp: it sounds nothing like them

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:29 am 

Wahn_nhaW wrote:

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:05 pm 

Awesome.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:20 pm 

I only have 2 albums of theirs, Stupid Dream and In Absentia.

I really like Stupid Dream a lot, better than In Absentia, and I can feel a krautrock influence on it, but I also like In Absentia and the heaviness on that.

However, I am completely unfamiliar with everything else they've ever done, and with that flow chart above it looks like they have quite the different ranges of music that they play.

So...being that Stupid Dream and In Absentia are the only 2 albums of theirs that I know, is the majority of their material similar to those, especially Stupid Dream, or are there a number of albums I could hear and be surprised that I'm even listening to the same band?

What albums of theirs would people recommend to me considering that I liked these too, especially Stupid Dream?

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:40 am 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
I only have 2 albums of theirs, Stupid Dream and In Absentia.

I really like Stupid Dream a lot, better than In Absentia, and I can feel a krautrock influence on it, but I also like In Absentia and the heaviness on that.

However, I am completely unfamiliar with everything else they've ever done, and with that flow chart above it looks like they have quite the different ranges of music that they play.

So...being that Stupid Dream and In Absentia are the only 2 albums of theirs that I know, is the majority of their material similar to those, especially Stupid Dream, or are there a number of albums I could hear and be surprised that I'm even listening to the same band?

What albums of theirs would people recommend to me considering that I liked these too, especially Stupid Dream?

Stupid Dream is one of their best albums, and I'm part of the fanbase that prefers their psychedelic inspired earlier work. The later stuff is more like In Absentia

Everything In Absentia onwards gets more heavy and technical
Everything from In Absentia backwards gets more psychedelic and experimental

Reply to topic