Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:50 pm 

They don't show any of them on the dutch television anymore so I'm not really up to date on these things anymore. I'm watching the second season of Young Justice now which is pretty enjoyable even at my age. I've seen the first season of Generator Rex which was pretty good. I'm planning on watching The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, G.I. Joe: Renegades and the original Clone Wars, not sure what they'll be like yet.

I haven't seen any movies recently, I remember liking Appleseed, Final Fantasy VII and some super heroe full lengths like Hulk vs. etc, not sure which ones I've seen or not.

Anything recent in Manga and action cartoon world I need to see? I'd love to see some really awesome Manga movie but I'm not into all that ultra slow over dramatic stuff which it usually turns out to be...

Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:01 pm 

You should watch The Legend of Korra, currently my favorite cartoon. The third season just started so you could binge it. It's the sequel of Avatar - The Last Airbender but it's not that necessary to be familiar with it to watch the new series and Korra is better overall.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Halberd (doom/death)

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:14 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Korra is better overall.

:ugh: Never thought I'd ever read that opinion. I only watch Korra because the animation is pretty and it's in TLA universe, but I think it's terrible overall with a few brilliant episodes (like the Wan ones). The second season was a little better than the first one though.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:46 pm 

I recommend JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) if you're into power fantasies. It's about a lineage of overly-masculine dudes descending from a man named Jonathan Joestar fighting an immortal vampire. Each episode mainly consists of a bunch of jacked-as-fuck dudes fighting other jacked-as-fucked dudes using crazy fighting techniques.
Example

Also, it has a lot of references to rock music with character names like Dio Brando, Tonpetty, and Robert E.O. Speedwagon. :P

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:47 pm 

I suppose Legend of Korro isn't manga but Anime? I didn't know it yet but watching part of an episode it's kind of the slow over dramatic manga stuff I don't really like. Those japanese cartoons never managed to catch me at all while I did love watching their movies, loved old work by directors like Miike Takashi and Takeshi Kitano. Is Legend of Korro even Japanese? Anyways not my thing.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:56 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
I recommend JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) if you're into power fantasies. It's about a lineage of overly-masculine dudes descending from a man named Jonathan Joestar fighting an immortal vampire. Each episode mainly consists of a bunch of jacked-as-fuck dudes fighting other jacked-as-fucked dudes using crazy fighting techniques.

I'd love to see some big muscled cartoons with lots of blood and demons but those jap manga's are so slow they make it boring... Sorry it's just really not for me. They should make american super hero cartoons with jap graphics!

rexxz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:11 pm 

Most anime art styles are so overplayed it's become so boring to even look at. Just read/watch Berserk if you want hyperviolence, demons and heavy metal.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:12 pm 

Legend of Korra and The Last Airbender are western cartoons. The rights aren't owned by any Japanese people. As for Jojo, the ongoing anime is absolutely fantastic, but if it's too slow-paced for you, you can just read the manga for a much quicker pace (that's what it originally is). The manga is pretty long, but it's literally been ongoing for decades, so don't feel any particular rush to catch up or anything. It's a very good battle shounen, and Araki really knows how to deliver the fights.

@rexxz: There's plenty of different artstyles in anime. Ping pong that just recently aired was pretty out there, for example. I get if you don't like the modern "generic" look, but this is a very hard thing to define. I do agree with the sentiment that older shows (or at least the older ones that I've seen) had more interesting art styles in general.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:48 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Most anime art styles are so overplayed it's become so boring to even look at. Just read/watch Berserk if you want hyperviolence, demons and heavy metal.

I don't read cartoons myself, Berserk seems a bit old, 1997? If there's a more recent installment of the series I can't find it.

rexxz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:53 pm 

Dudemanguy wrote:
Legend of Korra and The Last Airbender are western cartoons. The rights aren't owned by any Japanese people. As for Jojo, the ongoing anime is absolutely fantastic, but if it's too slow-paced for you, you can just read the manga for a much quicker pace (that's what it originally is). The manga is pretty long, but it's literally been ongoing for decades, so don't feel any particular rush to catch up or anything. It's a very good battle shounen, and Araki really knows how to deliver the fights.

@rexxz: There's plenty of different artstyles in anime. Ping pong that just recently aired was pretty out there, for example. I get if you don't like the modern "generic" look, but this is a very hard thing to define. I do agree with the sentiment that older shows (or at least the older ones that I've seen) had more interesting art styles in general.

I know full well about the different art styles that anime has, but there isn't much of a difference between the many different iterations of the 80s and 90s styles. Very rarely do I find something with art direction that has a strong identity of its own.

Anyway, Berserk is exactly what you're looking for. The manga itself is incredibly long running, and there are several different animated version of it as well.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:59 pm 

Is the Clone Wars good? I've been catching up on Star Wars stuff for work, (I'm doing an internship at Hasbro) and I feel like I should watch it. I've gotten so many mixed reviews on it though.

MutantClannfear
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:20 pm 

Dudemanguy wrote:
Metantoine wrote:
Korra is better overall.

:ugh: Never thought I'd ever read that opinion. I only watch Korra because the animation is pretty and it's in TLA universe, but I think it's terrible overall with a few brilliant episodes (like the Wan ones). The second season was a little better than the first one though.

"Never thought I'd ever read that opinion"? I thought it was generally agreed that TLOK is better... Season 2 was pretty unmemorable in my opinion, and mostly served as a backstory-builder to the entire universe, but the entire first season is brilliant. Amon is one of my favorite TV villains in recent memory. It's not like TLA was flawless, though - the romance subplot between Katara and Aang never pays off satisfactorily, and Sokka wasn't the sort of comic relief that I think the writers intended him to be (meanwhile Bolin in the new series is perfect for this).

Overall, The Legend of Korra is more impressive because when it gets things right, it juggles around so many conflicts that should've played a part in the first series, but didn't because the primary focus there was the Big Bad Fire Lord. Things like social disparities between benders and non-benders, people's attitudes towards the different cultures in the universe, the origin story of the Avatar - and now it looks like Book 3's going to give us a good look at how poverty works in the series, which is refreshing since most local people's problems in The Last Airbender could be summed up as "the Fire Nation enslaved us/set up a factory in our river/killed my parents/is the Fire Nation" and, if I remember correctly, there were never any situations where people had a shitty time just because the world isn't always perfect. Book 1 of The Legend of Korra handled this sort of thing perfectly and I have a good feeling that Book 3's shaping up to hold its own against it.

I also have to commend the apparent villains of this season - always a cool plot device when the baddies start out far away and as the series progresses you get to see them converge upon the protagonists. :)

When did we start calling Sunn O))) black metal and how soon can we stop?

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:11 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
"Never thought I'd ever read that opinion"? I thought it was generally agreed that TLOK is better... Season 2 was pretty unmemorable in my opinion, and mostly served as a backstory-builder to the entire universe, but the entire first season is brilliant. Amon is one of my favorite TV villains in recent memory. It's not like TLA was flawless, though - the romance subplot between Katara and Aang never pays off satisfactorily, and Sokka wasn't the sort of comic relief that I think the writers intended him to be (meanwhile Bolin in the new series is perfect for this).

Overall, The Legend of Korra is more impressive because when it gets things right, it juggles around so many conflicts that should've played a part in the first series, but didn't because the primary focus there was the Big Bad Fire Lord. Things like social disparities between benders and non-benders, people's attitudes towards the different cultures in the universe, the origin story of the Avatar - and now it looks like Book 3's going to give us a good look at how poverty works in the series, which is refreshing since most local people's problems in The Last Airbender could be summed up as "the Fire Nation enslaved us/set up a factory in our river/killed my parents/is the Fire Nation" and, if I remember correctly, there were never any situations where people had a shitty time just because the world isn't always perfect. Book 1 of The Legend of Korra handled this sort of thing perfectly and I have a good feeling that Book 3's shaping up to hold its own against it.

I also have to commend the apparent villains of this season - always a cool plot device when the baddies start out far away and as the series progresses you get to see them converge upon the protagonists. :)

I dunno where you hang around on the internet, but I've literally never seen anybody claim that Korra was better than TLA until just now much less see someone say that “the entire first season is brilliant.” I hear mostly complaints. We're going to get into spoiler territory now I guess, but here's my HUGE gripes with Korra.

Spoiler: show
Amon was a great villian until we learned his backstory. It greatly cheapened everything. The first season was supposed to be about benders vs nonbenders, but the ringleader turned out the be a bender all along? What's the implications of this? That nonbenders are seriously gimped and can't do anything in the world. That's fine in and of itself, but this is was never really resolved or developed. In fact, that's a HUGE problem in all of Korra. They throw all these different themes at you, but never do much with them. What's the point? And the first season was insanely rushed.

It's funny that you criticize Katara and Aang's romance. Sure, it's not amazing or inspiring or anything, but dear god, the romance in Korra is offensively bad. The love triangle in season 1 was absolutely horrible and terribly written. Asami basically gets the short end of the stick while Korra is made out to be an indecisive and whiny and Mako just looks like a huge douchebag. The two have basically no chemistry and just seemed to be forced together by the writers for no real reason. Ugh. I'm not sure what your issue with Sokka is, he was a great comic relief. Bolin was pretty good, but he got shafted hard by Varroc in the second season as the comic relief. Actually, Varroc is the probably best thing about Korra; the guy is hysterical. “If you can't make money in a war, you really can't make money.”

Sure, TLA is limited by the premise a bit since the Fire Nation serves the role as the “big bad guys,” but they serve as mostly a backdrop for large portions of the story. The Gaang does tons of other stuff while the background plot is slowly developed and eventually comes to the spotlight. I think it works quite well and gives TLA more coherency as a whole as opposed to Korra which feels more like events loosely stringed together.

Korra is also plagued really hard by asspulls and just nonsensical mechanics. Take Amon's and Tarrlok's super blood bending. It just doesn't make any sense why it existed and is just handwaved away by Sokka saying in a flashback “lol some people just have special powers.” And then Amon can somehow block the blood flow that lets you bend or something weird like that. It's never explained, and it doesn't make any sense either why Korra can just energy bend people's bending back.

Amon sealing Korra's bending powers which suddenly lets her airbend out of nowhere and for no reason. Just a horrible asspull. She completely sucked at airbending, but suddenly can punch air? Then in the second season, she turned into a jolly blue giant for some random reason. I know that TLA had also asspulls (the damn rock), but god they weren't this atrociously bad.

Plus, Korra gets basically everything handed to her. It's ridiculous. Aang works his ass off for 3 seasons to rightfully earn his powers while Korra is just get things for free. Can't airbend? No problem, just give her airbending for free. How do you give people their bending back? No problem, Aang will just show up. And this just goes on and on. She often gets her ass kicked, which is perfectly fine, but we never see her develop and struggle to overcome her challenges. Everything is just handed to her. Those two Wan episodes (which were damn brilliant, like I said) had more character development than the rest of Korra combined. That's pretty damn sad.

To me, all you seem to be seeing is that Korra is a bit more darker and grittier than TLA which is well and good, but they never do anything with it. I have yet to start on Book 3, but so far, I've seen nothing but a bunch of themes poorly jumbled together and poorly executed. TLA has far more compelling characters and development and utilized its setting much better than Korra has. To me, Korra is mainly just eyecandy animation, but I expect almost nothing out of it in terms of actual writing. I just don't get what you're seeing here. It's extremely flawed.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:47 am 

Adriankat wrote:

Oh cool, I didn't know they'd made an anime of it, much less one so recent. I read the manga like 10 years ago and loved it. How closely does the anime follow the plot? Is there still that nazi cyborg guy in the second or third arc? That shit was fuckin' rad, it's basically like Castlevania meets DBZ meets Street Fighter. I also really liked the historical aspect, how the first arc was in Victorian times, then WWII, and so on. Very unusual for a shonen manga to jump through history like that, with all-new characters in each arc.

http://extrememetalencyclopedia.webs.com/

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:08 am 

If fast-paced action with little downtime is what you're looking for, I have a feeling you'd really dig Black Lagoon, Gungrave, Baccano!, and Gurren Lagann. Of course, if you haven't already checked them out.
Last.fm all day long!

MutantClannfear
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:19 am 

Dudemanguy wrote:
I dunno where you hang around on the internet, but I've literally never seen anybody claim that Korra was better than TLA until just now much less see someone say that “the entire first season is brilliant.” I hear mostly complaints. We're going to get into spoiler territory now I guess, but here's my HUGE gripes with Korra.

Amon was a great villian until we learned his backstory. It greatly cheapened everything. The first season was supposed to be about benders vs nonbenders, but the ringleader turned out the be a bender all along? What's the implications of this? That nonbenders are seriously gimped and can't do anything in the world. That's fine in and of itself, but this is was never really resolved or developed. In fact, that's a HUGE problem in all of Korra. They throw all these different themes at you, but never do much with them. What's the point? And the first season was insanely rushed.

It's funny that you criticize Katara and Aang's romance. Sure, it's not amazing or inspiring or anything, but dear god, the romance in Korra is offensively bad. The love triangle in season 1 was absolutely horrible and terribly written. Asami basically gets the short end of the stick while Korra is made out to be an indecisive and whiny and Mako just looks like a huge douchebag. The two have basically no chemistry and just seemed to be forced together by the writers for no real reason. Ugh. I'm not sure what your issue with Sokka is, he was a great comic relief. Bolin was pretty good, but he got shafted hard by Varroc in the second season as the comic relief. Actually, Varroc is the probably best thing about Korra; the guy is hysterical. “If you can't make money in a war, you really can't make money.”

Sure, TLA is limited by the premise a bit since the Fire Nation serves the role as the “big bad guys,” but they serve as mostly a backdrop for large portions of the story. The Gaang does tons of other stuff while the background plot is slowly developed and eventually comes to the spotlight. I think it works quite well and gives TLA more coherency as a whole as opposed to Korra which feels more like events loosely stringed together.

Korra is also plagued really hard by asspulls and just nonsensical mechanics. Take Amon's and Tarrlok's super blood bending. It just doesn't make any sense why it existed and is just handwaved away by Sokka saying in a flashback “lol some people just have special powers.” And then Amon can somehow block the blood flow that lets you bend or something weird like that. It's never explained, and it doesn't make any sense either why Korra can just energy bend people's bending back.

Amon sealing Korra's bending powers which suddenly lets her airbend out of nowhere and for no reason. Just a horrible asspull. She completely sucked at airbending, but suddenly can punch air? Then in the second season, she turned into a jolly blue giant for some random reason. I know that TLA had also asspulls (the damn rock), but god they weren't this atrociously bad.

Plus, Korra gets basically everything handed to her. It's ridiculous. Aang works his ass off for 3 seasons to rightfully earn his powers while Korra is just get things for free. Can't airbend? No problem, just give her airbending for free. How do you give people their bending back? No problem, Aang will just show up. And this just goes on and on. She often gets her ass kicked, which is perfectly fine, but we never see her develop and struggle to overcome her challenges. Everything is just handed to her. Those two Wan episodes (which were damn brilliant, like I said) had more character development than the rest of Korra combined. That's pretty damn sad.

To me, all you seem to be seeing is that Korra is a bit more darker and grittier than TLA which is well and good, but they never do anything with it. I have yet to start on Book 3, but so far, I've seen nothing but a bunch of themes poorly jumbled together and poorly executed. TLA has far more compelling characters and development and utilized its setting much better than Korra has. To me, Korra is mainly just eyecandy animation, but I expect almost nothing out of it in terms of actual writing. I just don't get what you're seeing here. It's extremely flawed.

Well, I will admit that I don't really frequent any forums dedicated to the show or even any forums dedicated to cartoon series in general, so most of what I know is based off of discussion with my friends and the odd mention here or there in some random discussion. Maybe it's a case of the Internet being place where the downers come to gripe about the series?
I actually kind of forgot that Amon was a bender until you just reminded me. I guess that does kind of take a bit of his potency away as a villain who proves that non-benders can hold their own against benders. Still, I felt like the reveal added depth to his character beyond him being a faceless terrorist, which is a good thing... right?

Katara and Aang's romance was just awkward. The writers made it blatant enough that the two of them were going to end up together and then just left the plot point to sit there, occasionally bringing it up in the form of "wow Katara's so pretty" but never making it important enough to be worth the viewer's time. I didn't mind the love triangle in The Legend of Korra for the precise reasons that you seem to hate it - because it emphasizes that the characters this time around aren't total goody two-shoes who are incapable of doing serious wrong with their emotions. You could almost see Korra as the foil to Aang: Aang is calm, collected and disciplined, while Korra is brash and blunt. I saw the romance subplot as a good way to hammer in the fact that the main cast this time around isn't perfect. When it ends badly, it dispels any feelings that The Legend of Korra is just going to be another bare, simple, the-male-lead-and-female-lead-take-each-other-wow-how-surprising affair. If Mako and Korra end up together again before the series ends, I'm going to expect some serious character development or else it's going to feel extremely cheap, and even if there is a lot of character development, it'll still feel cheap. But the way it's going, it looks like the series has established that it's going to let them go their separate ways for now, and I like that.

It seems that the TLA series in general is damned to eternally be cursed with asspulls. Though, personally, I don't think any of Korra's have been anywhere near as bad as the "energybending" that Aang uses to take away the Fire Lord's bending ability in the first series. :P I mean come on, stopping the Fire Lord was the main conflict in all three of the seasons and the solution comes just three episodes from the finale from the lion turtle, a character that stumbles in with no prior screen time. Also, after doing a bit of research, apparently it's canon that Tarlokk and Amon's father learned their über-bloodbending from this same lion turtle, so I guess it's the official Plot Mighty Putty for the series. I won't attempt to comment on the finale of The Legend of Korra since I admittedly don't remember it all too well, but I don't remember being especially satisfied with it. You're probably happy that the finale of season 2 effectively sweeped away the "past Avatars" cheat code forever by wiping them all away, though. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole Wan subplot was a setup to get rid of the Avatar State God mode, actually. :lol:

I get the feeling that the writers of TLOK are focusing less on the journey of starting small and eventually mastering all the elements, which is what you seem to be wanting from it, because we've already seen that. Instead, it's taking the time to explore less obvious conflicts in the series. Generally speaking, Aang's main problems were that he couldn't learn some specific form of bending in one form or another, and I like that TLOK puts us in scenarios where that's not really an issue. We see an Avatar closer to self-actualization, and as a result, she gets challenged with more suspenseful conflicts where the solution isn't always as clear-cut as "be stronger". At the same time, we get to see more of the nitty-gritty of the Avatar world, getting a good look at the way things tend to work behind the scenes. I dunno, upon deeper reflection, I guess I wouldn't say it's "brilliant", but it's very good and I really like the vibes it captures.

P.S. From what I remember, I hated Varrick. He is by far my least favorite character to ever be on either series. Geez, you want to talk about the series' resident douchebag... he was almost like a perfect guide on how not to make a spoiled-rich character that you want your audience to like. The way he suddenly becomes an antagonist in the series doesn't feel right either. The only good thing that came out of anything he was involved with in season 2 were the mover skits with Bolin. "Nuk-NO!"

When did we start calling Sunn O))) black metal and how soon can we stop?

Last edited by MutantClannfear on Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:49 am 

I don't know what to say... These japs anime and manga series all somehow manage to turn something that should be awesome into something excruciatingly boring. Like I said I love the graphics, the blood, the ideas and of course the occasional nudity but it's all unwatchable, overdramatic, way too slow. I can't believe anyone can ruin something with so much potential nor do I understand why american cartoon makers don't pick up on it but I suppose the league of bored christian housewives makes sure of that.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:13 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Adriankat wrote:

Oh cool, I didn't know they'd made an anime of it, much less one so recent. I read the manga like 10 years ago and loved it. How closely does the anime follow the plot? Is there still that nazi cyborg guy in the second or third arc? That shit was fuckin' rad, it's basically like Castlevania meets DBZ meets Street Fighter. I also really liked the historical aspect, how the first arc was in Victorian times, then WWII, and so on. Very unusual for a shonen manga to jump through history like that, with all-new characters in each arc.

I haven't read the manga, but people who have say it's true to the source material. Should be that way until the anime catches up with the manga, which would probably be a long time from now should that ever happen. And yeah, it's got Rudol von Stroheim. First season covers the first two arcs and the season with the third arc is currently airing atm.

JoJo's does turn it up to 11 with the overdramatic internal monologues in the middle of action scenes which is what OP worries about, but IMO they're done in a way that's kinda humorous. More recent animes like the one Zelkiiro listed and reviewed are just as fluid and fast-paced as western action cartoons.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:28 pm 

Necroghast wrote:
Is the Clone Wars good? I've been catching up on Star Wars stuff for work, (I'm doing an internship at Hasbro) and I feel like I should watch it. I've gotten so many mixed reviews on it though.

I specifically wrote down for myself that I wanted to see the original cartoon and not the latest version. Been a while since I previewed it but pretty sure it's this serie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361243/?ref_=tt_rec_tti

Of course as you can see tastes immensly differ... so maybe you just need to view some episodes on YouTube to make up your mind yourself.

Adriankat wrote:
JoJo's does turn it up to 11 with the overdramatic internal monologues in the middle of action scenes which is what OP worries about, but IMO they're done in a way that's kinda humorous. More recent animes like the one Zelkiiro listed and reviewed are just as fluid and fast-paced as western action cartoons.

I can sit through 10 hours of Despicable Me but none of those Anime/Manga series do it for me, can't help it.

From the top anime movies I only remember enjoying Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and Ghost in the shell. Also Appleseed and Final Fantasy VII as already mentioned. Blood: The Last Vampire, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust and I think Fist of the North Star was ok but it's long ago.

Aren't there some more good western cartoon series/movies I need to see?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:32 pm 

Have you seen Archer? It's more comedy than action but it does have some cool over-the-top James Bond-esque action sequences. Really funny show though.

COMA VOID | GLOAMING | FAUSTIAN ORBS

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:32 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Have you seen Archer? It's more comedy than action but it does have some cool over-the-top James Bond-esque action sequences. Really funny show though.

Was gonna say, apart from Archer and Avatar/Legend of Korra, we here in the West have pretty much been slacking off on our action cartoons.
Last.fm all day long!

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:55 pm 

Yeah like I said in Holland they don't show them at all anymore, I can't understand how kids can grow up without action cartoons. And like I already said I personally am just dying for Marvel to start making some cartoons actually suitable for adults like me who everyone seems to forget also love cartoons. Evil viscious shit with lots of blood, would love to see a bad ass version of Wolverine, Batman or whoever fighting those Manga demons!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:22 pm 

OH! What about Samurai Jack? That show was pretty sweet.

COMA VOID | GLOAMING | FAUSTIAN ORBS

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:41 pm 

You should check out the movie Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox. Barry Allen (The Flash) finds himself in an alternate universe where Batman has no regard for human life, Aquaman and Wonder Woman are fighting each other in a war of conquest, Superman doesn't exist, etc. Plenty of brutal violence in it (for a PG-13 movie, anyway).

Also, it's the most important story arc in recent DC continuity, so it's worth watching for that alone.

rexxz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:15 pm 

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about Flashpoint, that was a super badass and incredibly violent DC movie. Be sure to watch The Dark Knight Returns Pt 1 and 2 as well!!

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:23 am 

All 3 of em get an 8 on imdb, looks very promising!

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:48 am 

I'm also really interested in seeing an actual making of documentary or something behind the scenes of a marvel cartoon. I've been doing some Flash animating myself which often makes you feel like a rocket scientist and making of graphics included you're lucky creating 10 secs of material a day. I read traditional cartoons actually use 10.000 drawings for 5 mins of film which would make the creation of our beloved 20min cartoon episodes a really painfull process, let alone a 90 minute movie! Is it just one guy monking the whole thing or do they have an entire team drawing and animating? Really curious about the creation process!

volutetheswarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:57 am 

One question, does any of these new cartoons have good animation? I can't stand drawings where they don't try, where it's like the adventures of curved triangle meets squashed square. The Dark Knight Returns movies were good with passable drawings but I've haven't seen anything for a long time that is American-made and has put in a great deal of effort like those.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:10 am 

I think american cartoonists use a lot more drawings per minute of action than japanese to start with. I watched The Dark Knight returns 1 and 2 yesterday, the first started a bit dull but both were great in the end. I don't like the new line of 3d animated cartoons like "Beast Wars", "Transformers Prime" and "Beware the Batman" but overal I have nothing to complain about the drawings for say "Young Justice" for example.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:41 am 

Found a good list with animated super hero cartoons on imdb: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls009963650?ref_=tt_rls_3

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:59 am 

Crypt666 wrote:
rexxz wrote:

I don't read cartoons myself, Berserk seems a bit old, 1997? If there's a more recent installment of the series I can't find it.

The manga is ongoing since then. I like the anime better (it's only 25 episodes, but it's nowhere near the stage the manga currently is).

There are also a serie of films (The Egg of the King, The Battle for Doldrey, Descent) telling the same history arc of the anime but with modernized graphics. You might enjoy it.

---
Here is the trailer for the second film (you can find the others, but watching them I thought they gave too many spoilers):

oh my god people disagreed on something for several pages stop the presses

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:14 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Well, I will admit that I don't really frequent any forums dedicated to the show or even any forums dedicated to cartoon series in general, so most of what I know is based off of discussion with my friends and the odd mention here or there in some random discussion. Maybe it's a case of the Internet being place where the downers come to gripe about the series?
I actually kind of forgot that Amon was a bender until you just reminded me. I guess that does kind of take a bit of his potency away as a villain who proves that non-benders can hold their own against benders. Still, I felt like the reveal added depth to his character beyond him being a faceless terrorist, which is a good thing... right?

Katara and Aang's romance was just awkward. The writers made it blatant enough that the two of them were going to end up together and then just left the plot point to sit there, occasionally bringing it up in the form of "wow Katara's so pretty" but never making it important enough to be worth the viewer's time. I didn't mind the love triangle in The Legend of Korra for the precise reasons that you seem to hate it - because it emphasizes that the characters this time around aren't total goody two-shoes who are incapable of doing serious wrong with their emotions. You could almost see Korra as the foil to Aang: Aang is calm, collected and disciplined, while Korra is brash and blunt. I saw the romance subplot as a good way to hammer in the fact that the main cast this time around isn't perfect. When it ends badly, it dispels any feelings that The Legend of Korra is just going to be another bare, simple, the-male-lead-and-female-lead-take-each-other-wow-how-surprising affair. If Mako and Korra end up together again before the series ends, I'm going to expect some serious character development or else it's going to feel extremely cheap, and even if there is a lot of character development, it'll still feel cheap. But the way it's going, it looks like the series has established that it's going to let them go their separate ways for now, and I like that.

It seems that the TLA series in general is damned to eternally be cursed with asspulls. Though, personally, I don't think any of Korra's have been anywhere near as bad as the "energybending" that Aang uses to take away the Fire Lord's bending ability in the first series. :P I mean come on, stopping the Fire Lord was the main conflict in all three of the seasons and the solution comes just three episodes from the finale from the lion turtle, a character that stumbles in with no prior screen time. Also, after doing a bit of research, apparently it's canon that Tarlokk and Amon's father learned their über-bloodbending from this same lion turtle, so I guess it's the official Plot Mighty Potty for the series. I won't attempt to comment on the finale of The Legend of Korra since I admittedly don't remember it all too well, but I don't remember being especially satisfied with it. You're probably happy that the finale of season 2 effectively sweeped away the "past Avatars" cheat code forever by wiping them all away, though. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole Wan subplot was a setup to get rid of the Avatar State God mode, actually. :lol:

I get the feeling that the writers of TLOK are focusing less on the journey of starting small and eventually mastering all the elements, which is what you seem to be wanting from it, because we've already seen that. Instead, it's taking the time to explore less obvious conflicts in the series. Generally speaking, Aang's main problems were that he couldn't learn some specific form of bending in one form or another, and I like that TLOK puts us in scenarios where that's not really an issue. We see an Avatar closer to self-actualization, and as a result, she gets challenged with more suspenseful conflicts where the solution isn't always as clear-cut as "be stronger". At the same time, we get to see more of the nitty-gritty of the Avatar world, getting a good look at the way things tend to work behind the scenes. I dunno, upon deeper reflection, I guess I wouldn't say it's "brilliant", but it's very good and I really like the vibes it captures.

P.S. From what I remember, I hated Varrick. He is by far my least favorite character to ever be on either series. Geez, you want to talk about the series' resident douchebag... he was almost like a perfect guide on how not to make a spoiled-rich character that you want your audience to like. The way he suddenly becomes an antagonist in the series doesn't feel right either. The only good thing that came out of anything he was involved with in season 2 were the mover skits with Bolin. "Nuk-NO!"

Eh, I don't really feel like getting into this anymore, so excuse me for lamely backing out of this. I will just mention this though.

The Energybending is an asspull, too, but it was just so Aang didn't have to kill Ozai. Everybody knew that Avatar State Aang was going to end up wrecking Ozai in the end. It's the finale of the series against the final boss. Of course you are going to use the strongest tools available to you to win. You should be complaining about the rock not energybending. That one was way worse. Magically unblocking the chakra point while Aang was losing? Come on guys. At least Aang earned his asspulls though. To me, Korra didn't earn anything she got and that's what makes hers far worse.

And an aside, Amon being a faceless terrorists totally could have been pulled off. "Nobody cared who I was until I put on the mask." Old cliche, but it's a good one. Also, Varrick is a fabulous comedic villian. Is he a douche as a person? Absolutely. That doesn't mean I didn't like his character though.

That being said, I did watch the first three episodes of Book 3 of Korra. It was pretty good and quite promising. Then again, I thought the same about the other two, so we'll see.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:07 pm 

Yayattasa wrote:
The manga is ongoing since then. I like the anime better (it's only 25 episodes, but it's nowhere near the stage the manga currently is).

There are also a serie of films (The Egg of the King, The Battle for Doldrey, Descent) telling the same history arc of the anime but with modernized graphics. You might enjoy it.

I don't like the way they do the action scenes in the anime series but the movie looked very promising!

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:00 pm 

The Berserk movies have some ps2-tier CGI in them though.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:38 pm 

Yeah I see it in most cartoons nowadays, I don't really like it either but it's never a real spoiler. Like the The Dark Knight Returns 1 I saw yesterday where they do part of the car race in the beginning with CGI, it's kind of weird when all of a sudden the graphic style changes...

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:20 pm 

In regards to the Berserk movies:

The first one is incredibly shitty.
The second one is okay, but not really worth watching.
The third one is actually pretty good, and is the only one I'd recommend.
Last.fm all day long!

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:46 pm 

I watched The Egg of the King today, I liked it though it could have used a lot more action. It's good to see something else besides yet another DC/Marvel super hero movie, I mean I like them but it's the only thing they ever do in America seems. I love Pixar, Disney, Blue Sky and Laika movies of course but that's not the same. Isn't there anything non super hero to come from America?

And aren't there any foreign countries other than America and Japan with some good action cartoons? I enjoyed Ronal the Barbarian from Denmark, then again not really what I mean.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:32 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
With improved visuals, tighter writing, and perfect handling of the Eclipse arc, Descent is the first solid entry in the trilogy, and hopefully not the last.

Yeah, I guess what this trilogy could really use now is a fourth entry. ^^
Personally, I prefer to know nothing of the esoteric hierarchy of MA and the profane rituals required to attain rank.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:48 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:
With improved visuals, tighter writing, and perfect handling of the Eclipse arc, Descent is the first solid entry in the trilogy, and hopefully not the last.

Yeah, I guess what this trilogy could really use now is a fourth entry. ^^

The creators mentioned the possibility of continuing the film series. :V
Last.fm all day long!

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:55 pm 

Crypt666 wrote:
Evil viscious shit with lots of blood, would love to see a bad ass version of Wolverine, Batman or whoever fighting those Manga demons!

Good god, this show was made for you and you alone:

Made in the west, very dark and violent and criminally overlooked might I add.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next