Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:35 pm 

By the 2000s, pop, hip hop, and R&B have been completely homogenized for wide appeal. In the 2010s, the same has been going on for the mentioned genres, and now electronic and country have fallen victim to it. In the 2020s, which genre(s) do you think will be next? My picks will be reggae, latin, jazz, folk, and other forms of rock such as a subgenre of progressive rock called "post-prog".

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:01 pm 

Well, pop, by its very definition, has always been THE mainstream. R&B and rap had been homogenized in the mainstream long before 2010, I would say by the late 1980s in fact. You had the pop PUNK, Green Day/Good charlotte thing in the late 90s/early 2000s, the whole nu metal thing right after that (or roughly that same period) and as for whats next...?

I can see folk or latin being the next ones, especially with a growing latino population in the U.S and the easy accessability of folk music. I mean, in a sense, there have already been latin-influenced artists who got really big- remember the whole Ricky Martin thing from like, 1998? Or Pitbull (sort of a latin/rap hybrid, really)

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:26 am 

I think Latin for sure, it's already a trend with pop and R&B mixn with/using Latin music and lyrics.

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:33 am 

Latin music has been a trend here in Europe for a (too) long time.

Folk could be one, I am just thinking in the great succcess of bands like Of Monster and Men, so it could be possible.

nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:53 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
Well, pop, by its very definition, has always been THE mainstream. R&B and rap had been homogenized in the mainstream long before 2010, I would say by the late 1980s in fact. You had the pop PUNK, Green Day/Good charlotte thing in the late 90s/early 2000s, the whole nu metal thing right after that (or roughly that same period) and as for whats next...?

I can see folk or latin being the next ones, especially with a growing latino population in the U.S and the easy accessability of folk music. I mean, in a sense, there have already been latin-influenced artists who got really big- remember the whole Ricky Martin thing from like, 1998? Or Pitbull (sort of a latin/rap hybrid, really)

Plus singers like Jennifer Lopez and Shakira.

As for reggae, it kinda had happened with Sean Paul, but I can see there being another wave of reggae pop.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:52 pm 

Folk has already merged with pop. The first occurrence of this that I can think of is Mumford & Sons but I'm sure that there are other examples.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:11 pm 

well, we'll see if EDM ends up being treated like 80s pop music, listened to primarily ironically. but, I think Latin's already started - the influence of salsa beats is in a shit ton of production jobs, same goes for Reggae. Obviously trap music got completely swallowed by pop producers as well. I dunno what could come next - nobody saw Skrillex blowing up like he did, no one could've guessed Migos would change the rap game and even make the most famous rapper alive today copy them.

ambient
drone
noise for your girlfriend
last.fm

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:57 pm 

Psych heavy 70s' rock. Just give it another year.

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:40 pm 

Musique concrete.
"Since that time, I have received highest level confirmations that such organizations not only exist but are rooted in satanic ritual murder and extend across America’s political landscape into nearly every community."

volutetheswarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:34 pm 

whatever it will be will be a sound-effect style chorus masquerading as a song garbage. Remember Aaliyah, Eminem, Limp Bizkit and Missy Elliot and all those 00's?? They'll all be remixed and remade like the 90's dance craze were remixed. As for "new" music, well expect infectious interchangable singing or Eric Cartman-esque mumbling rap nonsense with a real "dope" beat and little else.

The wide variety of topics of choice with be money, prostitutes, strippers, more money, crime, cheating on boyfriends, cheating on girlfriends, being attractive and others appearing ulgy, sex, being better than poor people, asses, still more money, material possessions, etc.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:22 am 

nestee8 wrote:

As for reggae, it kinda had happened with Sean Paul, but I can see there being another wave of reggae pop.

There's already shitloads of horrible pop-reggae now, and it's absolutely pathetic. New Zealand in particular churns it out like a goddamn bubblegum factory.

volutetheswarth wrote:
The wide variety of topics of choice with be money, prostitutes, strippers, more money, crime, cheating on boyfriends, cheating on girlfriends, being attractive and others appearing ulgy, sex, being better than poor people, asses, still more money, material possessions, etc.

Pretty much, although it seems the ass-fixation bubble burst with "Anaconda"... don't forget the other side of the coin though, all that miserable whiny depressive shit like Adele and Sam Smith. Gotta keep the masses reminded of how miserable they'll be if they're not in an obsessive co-dependent relationship, after all.

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:46 am 

I agree that it will be some form of rock. Both Rap and electronic music were born in the late 80's, early 90's. So the time frame between 94' and 00' would be revived in 2020 or so. I feel there will be a wave of reinvention of bands like Franz Ferdinand, The White Stripes, The Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Grunge would make a comeback with a new sound and look. Some nu metal appeal would find its way back as well.

I can already see it with bands like Twenty One Pilots. They are paving the wave that combines, as you mention, reggae and electronic into this fusion of rap-rock-dance. Korn are doing stuff with Skrillex, Noisia. So they are looking to combine that heavy sound of both electronic and rock. They are having little sucess for now but its bound to find its way just when the time is right.

I'm making a parallel observation of my own, as far as non main stream electronic music. In the past 2 years, it became mellow, soft, melodic, dreamy, groovy, discoish, oldiesesque. Artists like Jamie XX, SBTRKT, Caribou, Odesza. So now that its all soft and everyone is enjoying it, in 4 years people will say ok enough of this sleepy music give us a heavy banger.

Lets see if i'm right in 4 years.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:39 am 

^That seems quite accurate and I look forward to hating all of it with a passion that borders on the obsessive. I guess I need something to distract me at work though, so it's useful in that regard.

acid_bukkake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:40 am 

I have a feeling we're going to get a wave of orchestral/soundtrack stuff.

Nolan_B wrote:
Always a bad idea to get black out drunk while hanging around bearded Russian mystics.

Sepulchrave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:59 am 

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
Folk has already merged with pop. The first occurrence of this that I can think of is Mumford & Sons but I'm sure that there are other examples.

One word: TURBOFOLK

not popular at all in the west (more of a balkan thing) but it's an example of folk being bastardised by the mainstream. Really hard.

nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:28 pm 

Also, remember Eurodance music from the 90s? There could be a second wave of that and it'd sound even shittier.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:50 pm 

nestee8 wrote:
Also, remember Eurodance music from the 90s? There could be a second wave of that and it'd sound even shittier.

Back when every single European country could dream of having a one hit wonder spread across the whole continent.

nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:48 pm 

Festivus wrote:
nestee8 wrote:

Back when every single European country could dream of having a one hit wonder spread across the whole continent.

I don't think the genre in itself is bad, just something I wouldn't listen to on a regular basis. It's a rather cheesy one if you really look at it. Just imagine how bad it would be if it would be brought back in American form, it would be like hearing Lady Gaga and Kanye West being backed by some generic EDM producer/DJ.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:31 pm 

nestee8 wrote:

I don't think the genre in itself is bad, just something I wouldn't listen to on a regular basis. It's a rather cheesy one if you really look at it. Just imagine how bad it would be if it would be brought back in American form, it would be like hearing Lady Gaga and Kanye West being backed by some generic EDM producer/DJ.

I have some nostalgia of watching music channels such as MCM when I was a kid back in the 90s and watching several Eurodance videoclips.

Spoiler: show
Youtube: show

I have no shame in admitting that I kinda like this song.

volutetheswarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:42 pm 

nestee8 wrote:
:eek: Wait, they're not already?

nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:44 pm 

Festivus wrote:
nestee8 wrote:

I have some nostalgia of watching music channels such as MCM when I was a kid back in the 90s and watching several Eurodance videoclips.

I have no shame in admitting that I kinda like this song.

Oh yes, I remember hearing that song on the radio on my school bus, sweet memories.

Here's another nostalgic classic.

laxskinn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:13 am 

That is truly painful to listen to, even though it's a joke band :p

nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:58 am 

laxskinn wrote:
That is truly painful to listen to, even though it's a joke band :p

Not at much as this hehe.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:37 pm 

Man, Aqua :lol: Are they still around, even? I remember them being somewhat popular in the late 90s, although that's the only song of theirs I know. I guess they're a one hit wonder sort of band? And that song is quite nostalgic, I won't deny.

Are Barbie dolls still very popular among girls, anyway?

nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:46 pm 

They are, but apparently they changed their sound.

MetalMuxxer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:45 pm 

I don't know why, but i think that power metal will very mainstream in a couple of years, or melodic death metal (this genre is going mainstream very fast!)

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:01 pm 

MetalMuxxer wrote:
I don't know why, but i think that power metal will very mainstream in a couple of years, or melodic death metal (this genre is going mainstream very fast!)

Already happened in the late '90s and early 2000's though so nothing new really.

Majority of genres have been taken on by the mainstream in some way already, hard to think of one that hasn't.

Acidgobblin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:19 pm 

What do we mean by mainstream? I see literally no reson to think either melodeath or power metal will become mainstream. Quite the contrary...

Nolan_B
In League With Nolan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:31 pm 

Post-punk revival is coming soon, maybe some goth throwback. Pretty much all of the cool kids rattle off the classic names in conversation.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:57 pm 

Acidgobblin wrote:
What do we mean by mainstream? I see literally no reson to think either melodeath or power metal will become mainstream. Quite the contrary...

I could faster see power metal becoming mainstream than melodeath. Power metal has the clearest and the most harmless lyrical themes of any metal sub-genre. Plus, it's a genre full of female fronted bands. You can blame Nightwish for that.

I think the media seems to be a bit obsessed with nostalgia lately. In every front. From video games, to tv shows, to movies, to music, etc. I just feel that everywhere you look nowadays you'll see forced references to pop culture products from the past. Plus, look at all of the remakes and revivals happening in Hollywood in the last few years. Now, don't get me wrong. Nostalgia is fine, but one cannot go overboard with it. And because of that, you'll have many people revisiting shows, movies ,games, etc. from their childhood and wondering "Why isn't this as fun nowadays as it was 15-20 years ago? WHY?"

I think that the internet being massive nowadays and with all the archives you can find in wikipedia and youtube, alongside with how easy is to find new stuff by searching for similar stuff to it in websites like Last.FM and goodreads, many people have found it easier to find and revisit older stuff from their childhood. And also discover stuff they missed out back in the day. You'll see many youngsters bragging about how much they like 80s anime, NES and SNES games... because piracy has made it so easy for them to find those products in just a few clicks. And by saying anime and games, I could also say music, books, movies, etc. So no wonder so many stuff gets revived and rebooted nowadays. Remember how in the 90s it was still EXTREMELY rare for cartoons to get rebooted or remade? No one past 1997 ever imagined that the Ninja Turtles would ever come back to TV in animated or live action form. Well, then 2 more cartoons came out, one animated movie, 1 AWFUL live action movie and the 2nd one is currently in the making.

I went a bit sidetracked here, but I was trying to point out how music genres revivals are part of a bigger picture of today's media: excessive nostalgia pandering

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:13 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
Post-punk revival is coming soon

That came 10 years ago or more - Interpol, Editors etc etc ripping off Joy Division hard.

"I think the average person thinks I'm a fucking nut and I deserve whatever happens to me."

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:15 pm 

Acidgobblin wrote:

Yes perhaps define what is meant by mainstream. Maybe not in the top 40 in North America or whatever, but both power metal and melodic death metal were pretty popular in the late 90's and early 2000s even up to the mid-2000s. Bands like DragonForce even past that became pretty much household names in many college dorms and they weren't the only ones. Personally I also see bands like Children of Bodom and In Flames not only having achieved some form of mainstream success but also altering their style to become more accessible as a result of the new influx of more mainstream fans who weren't previously metalheads and probably still aren't. Its waned quite a bit since then and I don't see it reaching that level again any time soon I don't think, but it certainly has happened in the past.

The Kraken
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:17 pm 

Antioch wrote:

I don't really see how this could happen. Alternative rock like Alt-j and Modest Mouse seem to be pretty big right now and are inspiring a lot of bands. So yeah I see alt rock having a huge explosion in the next few years.

tomcat_ha
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:22 am 

it seems to me that one of the trends atm is indie psych rock with bands like black mountain and tame impala.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:54 am 

The Kraken wrote:
Antioch wrote:

I don't really see how this could happen. Alternative rock like Alt-j and Modest Mouse seem to be pretty big right now and are inspiring a lot of bands. So yeah I see alt rock having a huge explosion in the next few years.

Alternative rock has long run its course as a mainstream constituent.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:51 am 

I think synthwave might soon get the pop treatment.
The whole style has really been gaining momentum, and some pop artists are already using a few 80s synth elements here and there.

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:11 am 

Zerberus wrote:
The whole style has really been gaining momentum, and some pop artists are already using a few 80s synth elements here and there.

That makes sense, especially the really funk influenced type stuff that seems to be all the rage.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:07 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Zerberus wrote:

That makes sense, especially the really funk influenced type stuff that seems to be all the rage.

80s themed retro electro/synthwave has been getting popular in the last couple of years. There's many great artists such as Mitch Murder, Miami Nights 1984, Garth Knight, Perturbator, Lazerhawk, etc. playing that kind of music now. But I dunno if it will become a mainstream thing like EDM has become. At least I hope not because then a lot of talentless hacks will jump on the bandwagon.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:17 pm 

I don't think it'll be in its current state, necessarily, but rather a bastardization which picks and chooses elements. But stuff like Mark Ronson's Uptown Funk does exactly this - using individual elements from the genre in a more braindead listener-friendly radio pop way.

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:20 pm 

The music industry barely exists any more and almost everything named here has, to some degree, been rehashed in large scale commercial fashion at least once in the last 20 years. Yes, even power metal - Hammerfall was as organically a band when they started as the Monkees or N'Sync.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next