Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ina_Dingir_Xul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:42 pm 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-29/t ... ea/5990856

So this flight was on its route from Surabaya to Singapore when it simply disappeared. Search efforts are underway but nothing has been confirmed as of yet.

While EVERYTHING is bound to happen once given the time (floods, plane crashes, earthquakes etc), each time is still pretty unfortunate, given the high certainty of loss of life and the fact that technology can't quite beat out nature in this aspect.

Also this is the second case this year of a plane simply vanishing, the first one being the MH370 flight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia_A ... Flight_370).

Without going for a mass speculation here, I do wonder what happened to the planes. If it was a terror attack, a group is likely to want to claim responsibility. The idea of terrorists is to spread fear, the death toll is not the primary motive. The pilot could have wanted to commit suicide, although there could be other clues like a suicide note or a final radio broadcast. Also, the co-pilot wouldn't simply sit still and watch the plane nosedive into the ocean.

Thoughts?

FasterDisaster
OMG WAT DOES THIS CAPS LOCK KEY DO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:52 pm 

tl;dr - j/k guys we never left the tarmac

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:39 pm 

I still think MH370 was hijacked, then somebody's air force in the eastern Indian Ocean area shot it down. The search is taking forever to ensure that civilians don't get to see evidence that that's what happened.

This Air Asia flight, there have already been conflicting reports. One Indonesian official said he believes (based on...?) that it's sunk somewhere; while it was also reported elsewhere that the plane made an emerrgency landing already. I dunno, wait and see, and fingers crossed.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:11 am 

Here's an update.
http://time.com/3649270/airasia-qz8501- ... ne-bodies/

Fuckin' terrible! :(

Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:05 pm 

I'd be a hysterical mess if this happened to my loved ones. RIP.

Rasc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:52 pm 

2014 was a terrible year for planes. RIP.

Derigin
Anthropophagus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:21 pm 

It was actually the year with the lowest number of aircraft accidents (114) since the 1920s, however, it had the highest number of casualties (1329) since 2005. In 2005, the number of accidents was almost double. So while 2014 had fewer accidents, those accidents yielded a higher number of deaths.

Interesting tidbit. The worst year for accidents was 1944 (with 735); in peacetime the worst year was 1978 (with 347). That number has continued to drop - on average - over the last three decades. The worst year for deaths was 1972 (with 3346).

Reply to topic