Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:27 pm 

Since we're all music heads here, thought I'd bring this up in it's own separate thread.

Yesterday was Astroworld Festival in Houston Texas, a massive festival with Travis Scott headlining the entire event. To put it in simple terms, this is knotfest for hip hop, just take out Slipknot and insert Travis Scott. Anyways, the show was a massive clusterfuck and incredibly tragic. As of now, there are eight dead people with hundreds of people that got taken to the hospital. Basically from what's out now, a whole bunch of people rushed the gate of an already sold out show which basically increased the size of the crowd way past what it should've been. Mind you, this happened at Astroworld 2018 as well, but the consequences were drastically less severe.

Drake apparently takes the stage and everyone goes absolutely fucking bananas, storms the front, and it becomes a very scary situation in seconds. Now, what we don't know is whether there was some foul play involved. There's growing evidence that someone could've been drugging concert attendees at the festival. However, even with that, it sounds like everyone else was basically suffering. This video shows a girl adamantly telling camera workers that the show needs to stop and that there are dead/unconscious people in the crowd not being cared for. The same girl posted the story from here perspective on instagram.

I've been to an absolute shitton of concerts, but only a handful of these massive festivals. The only time I ever feared for my life was when I saw SOAD at Riotfest in 2014, felt like I was getting crushed and couldn't breathe. And the girls around me, you could tell were absolutely afraid for their lives. When you see that fear in people, you know shits bad and you gotta gtfo. Fortunately in that situation I was able to move around, but it sounds like people weren't in this one. And again- we don't know if the reason the people died was due to drugs or asphyxiation, but either way, this is just insanely fucked.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:36 pm 

Wow, that's fucked up. And not long after the documentary on Woodstock '99 came out. This could arguably be worse in ways.

Belastbar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:53 pm 

Oh man, what a tragedy! This shows how absolutely important security and having a good security concept is for holding such a big festival.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:53 pm 

Really sad what happened. Reports have been saying 8 people died and the Texas AG has announced a criminal investigation into it.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:31 pm 

Can't believe what happened. While Travis is at fault for not doing much in stopping the concert, the people who were running the place also need to share the blame. Apparently, one woman in the crowd knew something was up and tried to tell the guys to stop the show, but they didn't.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:56 pm 

This is one reason why I don't like big arena concerts anymore.

I was at a couple big shows like that at the Cow Palace in San Francisco in the late 80s, and...it wasn't really that fun. If you were anywhere within 50 feet of the stage, it was like a crush of sweaty bodies pushing, constantly shoving you back and forth, you can't stand your ground (just try it when 30 tons of mass humanity is crushing up against you like a human bulldozer) and can barely even raise your arms (if you're lucky) and it's like 120 degrees and you get nasty, dehydrated and faint after a while.

So, I can see how something like this can happen and having been in a crowd like that, I don't know how much the venue could have done. Well, for one- limit the crowd size; if it was as bad as it was at those Cow Palace shows, I can only imagine it would be worse with even more people crushed together in such a limited space. It sucks- for the fans, for those who were injured or killed, and for live music in general.

PansexualTrans
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:24 pm 

This is why I dislike going to any concerts except for metal ones in small/medium-sized venues. If you think hip-hop crowds are bad, you have never been to a country music concert. Nothing is worse than being surrounded by 200-250 pound sweaty men spitting beer everywhere and randomly hitting people for no reason.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:43 pm 

Very tragic and awful. The thought of being trampled or squeezed to death is absolutely horrifying.

I'm not a big concert goer, I usually attend 1-2 a year, but the only one I felt unsafe at was a big festival like that. It was Linkin Park playing at the end, and I was in the middle of a huge crowd of drunk people. The reason I felt unsafe was that there were these periodic "waves" of people falling to one side and pushing everyone over. I'm a pretty tall/big guy, so I can usually stand my ground, but against the force of hundreds of people falling over I had no chance. I got out of there as soon as I could. I saw people get panic attacks and screamed about not breathing or were fainting. No one got injured, I think, but it was not fun.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:10 pm 

I've been in a bunch of mosh pits, not of this scale but you always pick somebody up when they fall, even if you were the one that knocked them down. I've been in a few crush events, thankfully being tall, I can ride above the crowd and get out of it. i know the feeling though, getting hit by a wave of people and just trying to stay upright. It's claustrophobic and scary.

Reply to topic