Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
whiplash50
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:49 pm 

Perhaps this topic could qualify as a sister thread to the mental illness thread, but perhaps it deserves it's own spotlight. As the light seems to grow dim on the appeal of being seen as "normal" with the rise of hipster, geek, and other related cultures that were deemed "weird" at one time, we are faced with a slew of individuals who go out of their way these days to appear "different". Being a person who can remember a time when you only saw the aforementioned types in little hole in the wall record stores and thrift shops here and there, it's something of a mindfuck to see the dynamic change so drastically. I can't even remember how many times I got weird looks from people for my long hair and 'evil' band shirts, which now seem to be a LOT more widely accepted and revered. So, as I sit here in this sports bar by myself chugging a beer to wash away the terrible morning I had, I'm contemplating just how we feel we are viewed by the 'normal ones'. It's a question that has been endlessly debated for years in all of our little metal social circles (and you know it) and I want to know what all you guys' opinions are on it? The thing that got me thinking about was the vibe I got from the young waitress who brought me my beer. If I had to best describe it, I would say it's kinda like "ok, I'll deal with this freak because it's my job, but he creeps me out." I've gotten that from oh so many over the years, and wonder sometimes just what the root of it is...Not that I give a damn, just curious. Also, I've often wondered if its also due in part to the fact that I'm not exactly the bubbliest person around, and if others can just sense the negative vibes or whatever you want to call them, permeating from me? Probably doesn't help that I'm wearing a Ripping Corpse shirt right now, either ha...

Last edited by whiplash50 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rexxz
Retired my ass!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:54 pm 

I reject society, not the other way around.

This post brought to you by EdgeLord Inc.

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:58 pm 

I figure I'm pretty awesome and loved throughout the community.

whiplash50
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:02 pm 

rexxz wrote:
I reject society, not the other way around.

This post brought to you by EdgeLord Inc.

Words I live by as well. If you can't beat them, suggest they eat shit.

whiplash50
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:07 pm 

Ancient_Mariner wrote:
I figure I'm pretty awesome and loved throughout the community.

Well aren't we just the most precious little thing? hehe...Ah who am I kidding, I envy you *hangs head and walks away*

waiguoren
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:45 pm 

At least you live in a society that revolves around tipping. I get shitty service or a bad attitude in a bar all I can do is get so angry I almost think about clenching my fist under the table or letting out an inaudible sigh. Just show that wench you reject her sports bar society and order many things but instead of tipping you draw a sad face on the bill, or quote Tupac and write "Revenge is the sweetest joy next to getting pussy" on it. Trust me, next time you go that bar she'll be treating you with the respect you damned-well deserve.

Good luck and keep us posted.

AboveTheThrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:07 pm 

You should feel like an MA-community reject.

Rykov
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:09 pm 

whiplash50 wrote:
If I had to best describe it, I would say it's kinda like "ok, I'll deal with this freak because it's my job, but he creeps me out." I've gotten that from oh so many over the years, and wonder sometimes just what the root of it is...

If I had to guess, you're probably doing something that creeps people out.

wrathchild_88 wrote:
Oh cool, ham is a condiment. The more you know.

acid_bukkake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:12 pm 

So...did you start the thread because you're wondering how we all feel on the growing acceptance of niche subcultures leading to their gentrification or because the waitress (who, like you, probably has enough on her plate to worry about) didn't greet you with a cheery demeanor?

Nolan_B wrote:
Always a bad idea to get black out drunk while hanging around bearded Russian mystics.

Erosion of Humanity
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:52 pm 

I think you're over thinking shit way too much.

I go to the bar, I wear metal shirts, I sit at the bar and say nothing to the people around me or the Stagg for extended periods of time. Yet I'm still friendly with the staff and on a first name and friend hug basis with them all, save for the dudes who aren't really huggers.

Margaret Atwood wrote:
War is what happens when language fails.

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:55 pm 

Most of the bar staff around here are not exactly the "norms". Tattoos and piercings out the wazoo. Then again maybe that is the norm now.

waiguoren
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:03 pm 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
I think you're over thinking shit way too much.

I agree with this, however the OP might be living in an ultra-conservative small town or something and treated as an outsider for being different. Places like that no matter what you do you just can't win.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:17 pm 

I don't need society.

That said, I am the chosen reject. I chose NOT to be.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:57 pm 

I don't feel that way. In fact I feel like a pretty cool guy!

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:05 pm 

I try to avoid anything other than staying home, going to work, and going to the gym. There are no "normal" people, and I don't "like" or "dislike" anyone unless they give me a reason to, but being weary of people, and hermitish in general are pretty low risk ways of living these days. I like the people and places I know, my wife, friends, dogs, home, family and don't feel a need to go to random places to have "fun" very often.

I wear "evil" shirts without even thinking about it and don't even notice if people are reacting to them, although a lot of my shirts just have symbols and (unreadable to "normal" people) band names. Probably my most "offensive" shirt is my Darkthrone - Fuck Off And Die shirt which is one of my favorites. I will wear that one when I just don't feel like talking to people, but I mean you still have to really look at it to see what it says. I'm not a fan of those shirts that just say fuck jesus or whatever in huge letters on the back, that's just going out of your way and you don't really want to be walking in front of families/kids wearing something like that. Lately I'm not wearing metal shirts as often as I used to, many days you would never guess I'm a "metalhead" I wear lots of video game, super hero, joke, and shirts I got in Thailand.

I used to have a Satan fish on the back of my car, some people pulled up next to me or my wife and were just like "fuck yeah, you're awesome, hail satan!" I never had any angry reactions but it was fun to pull in front of someone with tons of jesus fishies and other god stuff on the backs of their cars. Anyway I think everyone feels or has felt like "reject" around certain people or situations, I think that's "normal" no need to worry about anything.

Dead1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:54 pm 

Not a social reject.

More like an opinionated boring self opinionated arsehole who people don't warm up to.

OneRodeToAsaBay
The Doll With the Hideous Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:14 pm 

I routinely notice that I get weird looks from people and there's probably many more weird looks that I just don't clock and that's ok. I'm comfortable with myself and how I look and, despite not being especially bubbly either, I'm reasonably polite and friendly when called for it--and I reckon that's about as well as any of us can and should do when in public.

If people aren't being in your face or violent about your 'difference', honestly, you're probably worrying about this too much. Most people probably aren't paying nearly as much attention to you as you may think they are.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.