Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:04 am 

I've been running a half-comical campaign on the old, crappy Palladium Games Heroes Unlimted system for the daughters and their friends. The system is sucky as hell, but it's been fun. Last time, they found out that a particular boulder in a Zen garden has actually been their boss all along, and that you can't kill a 100 kg mushroom by simply punching it repeatedly. A little bit of surrealism never hurt anyone.

What I'd really love to do is to create a mini-campaign of sorts for three to five sessions, either in a post-apocalyptic Fallout environment based on certain ideas I got when I browsed my old Gamma World books I found while looking for books a few weeks ago, or on an enormous seed ship on its 2000 year trip to Alpha Centauri with a million people sleeping in ice and a few dozen awake and doing the maintenance. Both would have immense story-telling potential. Maybe I should get the old crew together once again... multiple dudes having kids killed the group a decade ago, but now everybody either has their kids in the 6+ years age bracket or none of them, and things might be possible on a limited scale once again.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:23 pm 

That sounds like a good idea, Napero. I hope the others take you up on it. A guy I know invents basic sandbox rpg's with different figures or models to play with his young nephews. Makes family time way better to hang out with their super-cool uncle fighting a skeleton monster with a green tractor!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:05 am 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
New Tau stuff looks impressive, I'm waiting for the urge to start an Ork army to get strong enough I will turn green and talk even more retardedly, then it will be time.

I like how everyone in my gaming group is more hyped for the new Tau than the previous three codexes. Given, I don't blame them; the Tau have gone the longest without an update with only Black Templars I believe beating them out for patience and I myself am happy for the Tau and their players.

I already started an Ork army, but I'm going for the Evil Sunz setup, i.e. no footsloggers except Bikers, Stormboyz (maybe), and Grots/Kans (maybe). Haven't debuted them yet. Need one more Boy squad and a Trukk for a good start.

In related news, Apoc for me today.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:47 am 

Reviving this to talk about some games I tried with HB and Necroticism.

Munchkin: Basically a very fun, friendship destroying little game. It's a bit like playing a light version of D&D. It's pretty much all about luck and getting the right cards at the right moment. The dynamic is pretty simple, there's 2 cards deck (the dungeon and the treasures). You fight your way through and the first player reaching level 10 wins. Of course the other players are gonna do everything they can to win and this means using curses and other mean and fun cards. The humor is a huge part of the game, the descriptions of the cards and the art are both pretty funny.

Agricola: Yes, a classic, we played our first game tonight and it's indeed a very awesome game. Even though it's a farming strategy game, it felt very compelling. The game is quite complex and I'm sure it will take me a game or two to fully understand it. You basically have a land and you need to develop it through farming, cattle and building structures. It's just very very fun and challenging and I can't play to try it again.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:27 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Reviving this to talk about some games I tried with HB and Necroticism.

Munchkin: Basically a very fun, friendship destroying little game. It's a bit like playing a light version of D&D. It's pretty much all about luck and getting the right cards at the right moment. The dynamic is pretty simple, there's 2 cards deck (the dungeon and the treasures). You fight your way through and the first player reaching level 10 wins. Of course the other players are gonna do everything they can to win and this means using curses and other mean and fun cards. The humor is a huge part of the game, the descriptions of the cards and the art are both pretty funny.

Munchkin is seriously one of the greatest games I've ever played. I wish more people were willing to play though...

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:11 am 

I played a zombie version of Munchkin a while ago where you actually played as a zombie. And you could buff yourself with some things like turn yourself into a voodoo zombie, give yourself some xmas light armor, wield a bunch of different weapons etc.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:04 pm 

Yeah, Munchkin is pretty fucking awesome. There's many, many options to mess with other players and it's just generally light and funny. One of the players yesterday kept adding buffs to the monster Metantoine and HellBlazer were fighting, and HellBlazer STILL killed everything, gained like 7 treasures, and a bunch of levels. It was a legendary moment.

Agricola was really complex, and I didn't quite get a successful strategy up and running with all the different components to keep track of on the first game. Still, I only lost to Metantoine by 1 point....and HB beat us by 10.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:05 pm 

Munchkin doesn't get busted out for me much anymore, its simplicity means all my friends are disinterested after playing a few times. I've played a fuck ton of new (to me) games in the past few months and I'll post some comments about them here soon, it's been due for a while now.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:04 pm 

I've started playing Necromunda twice a week. It's actually a pretty cool ruleset nowdays, and I like not having to cart around 150 guardsmen to work and back. I'm running a redemptionist crusade, killing things with fire.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:42 am 

I love Munchkin. I've played that Zombie version too, actually - it was hilarious, one of those games that gets louder and louder.

I haven't played board games properly in almost a year; I've kind of lost touch with my gaming buddies, everyone's graduating or moving on. All we have time for is a quick round of Dominion these days...

autothrall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:49 am 

We ran a mixed Munchkin Zombie/Vampire/Cthulhu session at a Halloween gathering last year, and it was pretty damn hilarious once we figured out all the minor rules overlaps.

Anyone played the latest Warhammer Fantasy RPG yet from Fantasy Flight? Any good? Been itching to order the three-book core set....Does it have the same basic system as Only War, Dark Heresy, etc?

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:47 am 

I'm GMing for an Iron Kingdoms campaign.
Very cool setting (think DnD going through an industrial revolution, [DnD: Birmingham is what we like to call it] whilst in a state of almost perpetual warfare), fun as hell stuff available to characters from the get-go.

HeWhoIsInTheWater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:12 pm 

_MFMGW_ wrote:
I'm GMing for an Iron Kingdoms campaign.
Very cool setting (think DnD going through an industrial revolution, [DnD: Birmingham is what we like to call it] whilst in a state of almost perpetual warfare), fun as hell stuff available to characters from the get-go.

I can't believe I haven't heard of this yet. My group has been looking for a good Steampunk RPG for the longest time. Great find and thanks for pointing it out!

HeWhoIsInTheWater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:34 pm 

What do you guys think of the game Shadowrun. A couple people have been trying to put together a game but I've never heard any particularly unbiased or well crafted responses. Thoughts?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:43 pm 

I played with HellB and Necroticism but we have some trouble getting our pack together often :( Our first quest is not even finished yet. But it is very cool and I'd like to play more. The universe is nice and you can build interesting characters, mine is an elf French classy chick! I'm not familiar enough to write a well crafted answer but you should read the handbook and get familiar. If you can't play the real RPG, there's a new video game that you could try (dunno if it's released yet though)

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:55 pm 

Last Thursday, I played a board game called Galaxy Trucker. A fun little game that took us about an hour or two to finish (there were three of us). There's ship building involved that's very articulate because you're almost guaranteed to have parts of it blown off by meteors and laser fire. You just have to hope it's not the more important parts.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:08 pm 

So, I went to Caracas Comic Con, which it was amazing! Not nearly as impressive as the ones you guys in the north have, but really nice and fun, me, my dad and my brother got into the board game tournament, we played 7 Wonders and Dominion, my dad won both tournaments and a nice discount that he used to buy the Leaders expansion of 7 Wonders.

Another thing! Today all the Dominion expansions that we bought like a month ago finally arrived, we can now play, Alchemy, Dark Ages, Cornucopia, Seaside, Prosperity and Hinterlands, we will have some much fun. :-P

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:18 pm 

So I found myself thinking about Mouse Trap again-- despite the fact that I haven't played it in years. I don't know what's happening to me, guys.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:20 pm 

Game night! We're going to start with Zombies!!! and then play some Munchkin, although I'm hoping I can steer everyone towards Smallworld instead.

Also, I'm thinking of picking up Eldritch Horror. It looks awesome!

HeWhoIsInTheWater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:07 pm 

IntoNevermore wrote:
So, I went to Caracas Comic Con, which it was amazing! Not nearly as impressive as the ones you guys in the north have, but really nice and fun, me, my dad and my brother got into the board game tournament, we played 7 Wonders and Dominion, my dad won both tournaments and a nice discount that he used to buy the Leaders expansion of 7 Wonders.

Another thing! Today all the Dominion expansions that we bought like a month ago finally arrived, we can now play, Alchemy, Dark Ages, Cornucopia, Seaside, Prosperity and Hinterlands, we will have some much fun. :-P

The Sea Hag from Seaside is the ultimate troll card. I love spamming the ole Torturer but it takes cruelty to another level. Prosperity is a great set because it pretty much enhances any set when you add one or two cards from it. Plus, PLATINUM makes the game much more fast paced and allows for another layer of endgame play.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:34 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
Also, I'm thinking of picking up Eldritch Horror. It looks awesome!

If you do, let me know how it is, and how it compares to Arkham Horror.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:25 am 

HeWhoIsInTheWater wrote:
IntoNevermore wrote:

The Sea Hag from Seaside is the ultimate troll card. I love spamming the ole Torturer but it takes cruelty to another level. Prosperity is a great set because it pretty much enhances any set when you add one or two cards from it. Plus, PLATINUM makes the game much more fast paced and allows for another layer of endgame play.

I know! We had so much fun with Prosperity and Seaside, the game with Dark Ages was super slow though :lol:
Hinterlands was pretty nice too, the Trader card is a very easy way to have fast money and then you can clean up your deck quickly.

FearTheNome
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:24 pm 

Really, slow with dark ages? With all the trashing I've found it to be one of the fastest sets. It's seaside and alchemy that tend to make games drag on in my experience.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:01 pm 

Well at our first game we had several turns to buy a single province, we were getting used to those cards, the Guild expansion was very nice too, I find the Doctor to be another great card for cleaning up your deck.

HeWhoIsInTheWater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:51 am 

I was thinking of putting together a campaign for Furry Pirates soon. Anybody have experience with the game or the Halogen System and have advice to offer? It is my first campaign for such a venture and my playgroup cares more about mechanics than storytelling.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:55 am 

I played a game of Twilight Imperium last night. It's an epic 4x space game and an absolute blast. Here's a photo of the board at around hour 8:

Spoiler: show

I'm playing the L1z1x with blue tokens. You can just see the bottom of my Inquisition 'Magnificent Glorification of Lucifer' shirt in the photo :D

For those who haven't played the game, it's fantastic but a bit of a beast. This session ended up taking around 10 hours (including a break for dinner). It really should have ended much sooner, but a Law came up to vote for picking a strategy card for another player rather than for yourself. Kind of fun but no one wanted to give another player the Imperial card (which gives you 2 victory points when you play it) so it slowed the game down. Myself and two other players voted for the Law because each of us were really close to 10 points and thought we could win in the next round. I was sure victory was in my grasp! Well, the best laid plans and all that. Instead of a quick victory it turned into ugly, protracted, attritional warfare. By hour 10 I think we had all learned something about ourselves, and each other. I'm pretty sure I've got the thousand yard stare now.

Lots of fun though. I love 4x games and the political cards add a great element to Twilight Imperium. I really enjoy the bargaining and scheming it allows for in creating open, group interactions. For anyone who plays with a group that likes sprawling, epic games with multiple paths to victory I highly recommend it.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:05 pm 

I busted out my Blood Bowl Team Manager game for the first time in three or four months for a bloody four man game. If anyone is familiar with Blood Bowl the miniatures game (which I've never played, though I used to play Warhammer) they know the setting/spirit of the game - it's ultra violent American football between Fantasy races like Orcs, Wood Elfs, Skaven, Dwarf etc etc.

This is a card game and you don't play individual games of Blood Bowl, but 'highlights' from several games of a season, and you have to better your team with specialist coaches (like sprinting and tackling coaches), team upgrades and star players - this is the Team Manager-aspect of it all - and then fuck up the other players' teams.

It's very funny and engaging, but not ridiculous like Munchkin or whatever. Recommended.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:03 am 

I'm starting a Pathfinder campaign with HB, we'll only be a pack of 2, another friend will be the DM! My character will be a huge barbarian dwarf with only 1 ear and HB will be some sort of sorcerer, perhaps a gnome (he wasn't finished with his character when I left). We'll start soon!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:13 am 

I've been going through real RPs for the past couple of months. After having read the core rulebook and the advanced player guide for Pathfinder, I get inspired to make funky characters...like an undead bloodline human sorcerer whose story is inspired by early Cannibal Corpse (literally born in a casket).

Lately though, I'm a Gand Sniper in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire.

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:48 am 

Wilytank wrote:
Lately though, I'm a Gand Sniper in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire.
how is that game? i guess to a degree all RPG's resemble one another. but amidst all the clutter of boxes that my local game shop has on it's rack, that star wars logo always seems to stand out.

anyone checked out that X-Wing miniatures game? went to the store to get some MTG cards and saw it for the first time ever. The store owner let me get a game with him and his starter set, and i learned it right there on the spot. REALLY fun! as a huge star wars fan, and a fan of the war-games (WH40k with less rules) this was a neat experience.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:58 am 

I bought the reissue of Space Hulk, and my friends and I are having a blast losing as Terminators.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:22 am 

Without actually ever having played it, Space Hulk looks great. I have no idea how the actual game mechanics are, but the concept is certainly an exciting one.

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:27 pm 

just googled it. it looks interesting, but unfortunately, very few of these video game adaptions of the warhammer universe ever have a lasting effect on me. but i like the republic commando sort of vibe it has. for now, i think ill just stick to saving up for the tabletop game haha

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:16 pm 

hots_towel wrote:
just googled it. it looks interesting, but unfortunately, very few of these video game adaptions of the warhammer universe ever have a lasting effect on me. but i like the republic commando sort of vibe it has. for now, i think ill just stick to saving up for the tabletop game haha

Uh, pretty sure MrMcThrasher means Space Hulk the board game, considering the thread...

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:22 pm 

the Space Hulk PC game is ace - pretty much just a direct port of the board game.

Just about to head out to my club's first 40k tournament. Hoping to dish out an Imperial Fisting to some traitors and Heretics

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:14 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:
Just about to head out to my club's first 40k tournament. Hoping to dish out an Imperial Fisting to some traitors and Heretics

None left for the aliens and the mutants?

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:24 am 

So Varg's RPG came out a few weeks ago... Anyone played it? Thoughts?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:08 pm 

Haha, not sure I'd like to play that. Shit's pretty expensive too! http://www.ancestralcult-shop.com/en/

Played 2 new games with HB yesterday, it was my second time playing Bruges (so still sort of new) and I really like this game (and not just because I'm good at it) I think people who are fans of card dynamics with many possibilities are gonna really like this. All the cards you get are characters helping you get points and the board is only there to keep track of some things not to really interact on. There's many ways to win and many things to take care of but it's easily understandable and not quite complex. Highly recommended.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/136888/bruges

We also played Spyrium, kinda cool but it took me a while to grasp everything. It's set in Victorian England but there's a new element which changed everything and the game is about that spyrium thing. It reminds me of a mix of Powergrid and Dominion, you have money (which is always tight) to improve your industries and get more points than your opponents. Pretty interesting, it's about 1 hour (like Bruges) too and not very long to prepare. The art is sort of steampunk too so that's cool.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/137269/spyrium

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:23 am 

I had the good fortune to be introduced to Rebel Assault before Ep VII came out. Looking forward to playing that again. Also played Zombicide, which has a similar game mechanic, but is swords, magic, and zombies. That was really fun, and made a lot easier by having experinced Rebel Assault.

I borrowed Elder Sign, by the same pair as Eldritch Horror and all those, and that's really fun. Having people over tomorrow to play it in a group. I'm really into these games that you can play in a big group, but can also be played one player as a solo puzzle game.

Games rule.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:00 am 

Elder Sign :durr: this is the one I got for my other half for Xmas, not Eldritch Horror as I stated in the FFA... Anyway that is a cool game, we've played it a few times since then, and it's quite good fun indeed.

My first Arkham Horror experience tonight ended in complete and utter soul devouring disaster :lol: Destroyed by the monster. My character had a rather unfortunate and uneventful game, with not a lot of clues, or anything really happening, which in turn didn't help us close any gates or damage Glaaki one bit. Madness for all! Great game though, and I need to play it more.

My collection

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 30  Next