Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:15 am 

Not sure about you guys, but I think Hush is one of the best Batman villains in the last decade or so. The original arc with Loeb, Lee, and Williams is masterful, methinks.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:25 am 

Agreed, I loved this arc and it will totally fit Chis Nolan's rendition of Batman. It's very psychological and not as cheesy as some of the other vilains. A shame it will end with The Dark Knight Rises.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:54 am 

I'm torn on Hush. My initial reaction to that story (and the character) was "I fucking love it," but looking back it was kinda predictable and entirely ridiculous, so it didn't really resonate with me very well. If you've read anything else by Loeb, you know he has a bad habit of trying to shove EVERY iconic character in a mythos (dead or not) into a single story, even if it means casting logic to the wind. Though, how much logic can one expect in the realm of comics? But I mean c'mon,
Spoiler: show
Harvey Dent back to looking sexy and working for Johnny Law, Jason Todd 'back from the grave', Superman succumbing to Poison Ivy, and the fucking Riddler is behind it all? I love the Riddler, he's one of my favorite villains, but you gotta do more than throw him in the last four pages to convince me he was able to orchestrate all of that.

That being said, Hush was very entertaining and absolutely gorgeous to look at. Say what you will about Jim Lee, he's the most popular artist in comics for a reason. The colors were incredible, too.

On the subject of Batman, is anyone reading the 'new 52!' Batman series? The one by Snyder and Capullo? I was skeptical at first, but this whole Court of the Owls thing has got me fucking hooked.

Also, for anyone who is a fan of horror comics, Clive Barker and H.R. Giger - check out the new IDW series Monocyte. It's basically a big blowjob to the Barker and Giger styles of writing and art, but it works. Gorgeous book. Pretty disturbing content. And the pages smell nice.

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:53 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Agreed, I loved this arc and it will totally fit Chis Nolan's rendition of Batman. It's very psychological and not as cheesy as some of the other vilains. A shame it will end with The Dark Knight Rises.

You know, I was really hoping for Hush in The Dark Knight Rises. He totally fits into the realism of Nolan's Batman, granted, he's not that big of a household name to most. Still....it's fucking Hush.

His role in Arkham City, however, is pretty cool. Glad they included him.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Schaus2
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:55 pm 

I agree that Hush is one of the more interesting and well thought Batman characters in recent history.
I must admit, after Riddler was revealed to be behind it all, I thought he had the potential to become a total bad-ass. Ive always seen riddler as the brains of most operations, but never really posed a serious threat to Batman. But after Hush he just kinda went back to being the same Riddler we've know for some time.

On a completely unrelated topic, do you guys listen to metal when u read? I find it kind of enhances the experience, even more so when the music really matches up with the panels.

One of my friends is a talented artist, so sometimes we will just hang out, listen to metal, and he'll draw whatever fan-fic. bullshit im thinking of. I especially find that listening to Amogh Symphony really brings out a comic "spirit" so to say.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:25 am 

Schaus maybe you should cover up that bit about the end of Hush with the spoiler function? If someone stumbles in here and hasn't read Hush but planned to it could be a bit of a bummer to find some spoilers.

But on the other subject, I only listen to metal if I'm reading certain books. Spawn: The Dark Ages, or any Spawn really, goes very well with metal. A lot of the space opera arcs are great with metal, too. Sometimes I'll nerd out and throw on an old Elfman Batman OST when I read Batman, but other than that I prefer silence.

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:23 pm 

Haha yea, definitely put a spoiler tag on that Schaus2.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Schaus2
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:45 pm 

oh shit! my bad, I just typed and ran to work.

btw, is anyone psyched for new Age of Apocalypse ongoing?

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:01 am 

Age of Apocalypse is awesome, which reminds me I outta pick up the collected issues sometime...

Obligatory Last FM Link

cweed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:12 am 

Morrigan wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:
The comic book superhero industry thrives now mostly off of merchandising and film and television rather than the conventional publishing of the latest issue.

FTFY.

John_Sunlight wrote:
NO MANGA

Why not? Not a fan of manga myself, but it's true that Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind > everything in this thread so far. :P

Anyway, my favourite comic series are Preacher, Transmetropolitan, and Y: The Last Man. As you all know I detest superhero stuff so if I were to ask for recommendations, it'd be along those lines, but then again, HellBlazer is a huge comic geek and already knows what to pass along to me, I'd say. :D Oh yeah, finished series only, too.

Quote:
If anyone gets the chance, pickup a hardcover called 'Blacksad'. Not sure who the writer and artist are right now - too lazy to look it up or go upstairs and look at my copy, but it's an incredible piece of art. Old school, engaging noir tales except with animals (a black panther is a private eye, his lawyer is a fox, etc.), and some incredible art by a former Disney animator.

That sounds... intriguing? Weirdly enough it probably has two strikes against it: noir and animals. Yet the two combined sounds... I dunno, could work somehow. :lol: I'm always iffy about "noir" stuff (I find most film noirs to be obnoxious and vapid). As for anthropomorphic animals are... well, I did enjoy Pride of Baghdad and Tailchaser's Song so obviously I know it can work, but I'm always wary about that somehow.

Holy shit!! Checking out Blacksad now, haha it's actually really good!! Thanks for the recommendation, I'm really enjoying it :)

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:51 pm 

Glad you're enjoying it. It's a very good series, propelled mostly by the fantastic artwork.

cweed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:08 am 

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah wrote:
Glad you're enjoying it. It's a very good series, propelled mostly by the fantastic artwork.

Yeah, the artwork is killer. I felt really weird at first reading it because although I consider myself pretty open-minded overall, I felt like I was reading a graphic novel for furries which kind of turned me off. However, after a few pages I got over it and have just finished the second issue, seriously good shit! Great characters, writing, art, and concept. Keep up the recommendations everyone! I'm fairly new to the whole graphic novel "scene" so I'm finding this thread to be pretty enlightening :)

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:01 am 

I've been reading the Dark Horse Conan series, which has been really awesome. Does anyone know of any other good Conan comics? The Marvel ones look gay.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:24 am 

There are no other good Conan series. Check out Warlord from DC. It's contemporary with the old Conan crap and it's actually good, provided you like the aggressively wordy style of those days and the stock pulp action and pacing...

Otherwise, just look up Darkhorse's other Howard stuff: Kull and Solomon Kane, both great

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:32 pm 

All that discussion we had about Hush prompted me to buy Heart of Hush. I definitely enjoyed it. Frank Miller's Batman:Year One is really interesting too, good stuff.

Obligatory Last FM Link

syx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:22 pm 

Not really a comic book guy but have the Johnny The Homicidal Maniac (Jhonen Vasquez) directors edition book which I love. I read the Lenore (Roman Dirge) comics a few years ago when in college quite enjoyed them. Very childish / goth but quite fun nonetheless.

I definately urge anyone with a dark sense of humour to read JTHM! And also Squee! (also by Jhonen Vasquez).

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:19 pm 

I blame Vasquez personally for the advent of horribly lazy character design and art in comics these days.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:22 pm 

So do I, John. I actually posted a little rant about Vasquez in the previous comic book thread we had in this forum. Seems like he really popularized barely being able to draw.

EDIT: Actually, it was in the last free-for-all thread that I posted my two cents on Vasquez. Here it is:

Quote:
I know this has been going on since long before, but I feel that Jhonen Vasquez and Slave Labor Grahpics have a lot to do with the large-scale acceptance and popularity of pitiful artwork. Don't get me wrong, Vasquez has his nifty Tim Burtonish style which is cool, and he certainly isn't an incapable artist (I've seen some nice work from him), but for the most part titles like Johnny the Homicidal Maniac and their simplistic, doodly style instilled in a lot of people a sense of "it's okay if you can't draw." And it is - but I feel like part of the comics medium is the stunning artwork, so if your a comic book artist and you can't draw, it is unacceptable. A lot of the SLG titles are pefect examples - My Monkey's Name Is Jennifer (or whatever the fuck), etc.

Give me Brian Bolland, Bernie Wrightson or Todd McFarlane in his heydey over these bozos any day.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:54 pm 

Todd McFarlane was part of the terrible 90's artists to arise in Marvel with the likes of Rob Liefeld, who's art was very much like McFalrane's and similarly shitty. He had very poor understanding of anatomy and his most-well known comic was largely a rip-off of Marvel's Ghost Rider, not that he was the only one ripping off of other comics in Image.
I'd much rather read anything drawn by Vasquez than McFarlane.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:58 pm 

McFarlane was nowhere near anatomically correct, but that's not what makes an artist great. If I want uber-realism, I'll just look at Alex Ross all day. It's possible to be an awesome artist. McFarlane was a great artist while still being kinda nuts. Not every amazing artist is super-realistic (Basil Wolverton), but not every surreal piece of loopy artwork is good (most of Vasquez's stuff). Todds drawings had a frantic energy to them that nobody else had.

I don't really see the Liefeld/McFarlane comparison. Liefield's stuff was always huge and bulky and veiny whereas McFarlane's was way more fluid. And he can draw circles around Vasquez, certainly. Vasquez basically took the Tim Burton style, made it a bit grittier, and that was all. Only a few steps above newspaper comics, in my opinion. I mean its cool and all, but for a medium that is as reliant on art as comics are, he just doesn't cut it. At least McFarlane can create a living story with his artwork.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:07 pm 

I actually mistook some Spawn comics for something Liefeld had shat out. It's pure 90's dreck. His art consisted of the same staples that Liefeld used: poor understanding of anatomy, terrible hatching over everything, and not an original thought in his head. Even that new comic he did was a cross between Spider-Man and Venom. Vasquez, unlike his copycats, understood that that he was a poor artist and started experimenting with lighting and composition, two words that McFarlane has probably never heard of.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:32 pm 

His 'experimenting with light and composition' never produced anything better than what McFarlane put out, just a bunch of shadowy stick figures. And as far as I can tell, what you call '90s dreck' was pretty much started by McFarlane, so I'd say he's an original, even if the trend he started was kinda lame.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:54 pm 

It was largely pioneered by Liefeld, which was really a gross exaggeration of existing trends in comic book art styles. McFarlane was a business man before an artist, and a successful one at that

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:08 am 

syx wrote:
Not really a comic book guy but have the Johnny The Homicidal Maniac (Jhonen Vasquez) directors edition book which I love. I read the Lenore (Roman Dirge) comics a few years ago when in college quite enjoyed them. Very childish / goth but quite fun nonetheless.

I definitely urge anyone with a dark sense of humour to read JTHM! And also Squee! (also by Jhonen Vasquez).

I haven't gotten around to reading any of Vasquez's works unless you want to count watching Invader Zim on occasion, but I do remember reading the first volume of Lenore in high school. I'd love to track that down again as it was quite entertaining and got me to think more about my own ideas for a comic series. Of course, I'd also be contributing to the "modern artists can't draw" trope so I may need to find someone else to work with on that...

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:25 pm 

I don't know if these people can draw or not. I honestly think most of them can, but they choose to suck because that's what's "cool" nowadays, which is worse...

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:42 pm 

I spotted Moore's Neonomicon in a book shop a while ago and couldn't resist picking up a mix of Moore+Lovecraft. It's next on my list, anyway, and I'll start it once I finish Zot!. Anyone familiar?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:07 am 

Lovecraft in comic form has never worked out well for whatever reason. Probably because the writers are always so in love with his writing that they include way too much of it. Never been a really good artist doing a Lovecraft comic either, for some reason.

The perfect Lovecraft comic would be almost silent with great art. Maybe traditional drawings for the earth and humans paired with photo-realistic digital art for the cosmic horrors?

Pratl1971
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:54 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Todd McFarlane was part of the terrible 90's artists to arise in Marvel with the likes of Rob Liefeld, who's art was very much like McFalrane's and similarly shitty. He had very poor understanding of anatomy and his most-well known comic was largely a rip-off of Marvel's Ghost Rider, not that he was the only one ripping off of other comics in Image.
I'd much rather read anything drawn by Vasquez than McFarlane.

Hands down, the most overrated comic artist in the history of the medium, even more than Frank Miller. He couldn't carry Infantino's, Romita's, Wood's, Gil Kane's or Kurt Schafffenberger's pencil cases with his full splash page swinging pieces that left Spider-Man pretty much visually impairing and certainly lacking in story.

Satans Mighty Penis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:52 am 

i got back into comics after a 15 year hiatus. I've been reading Goon and Elephantmen, buying graphic novels from both. Both series are amazing. I'm hoping Gwar comics come back.

Woodgod
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:24 am 

I've been reading James Robinson's 90s Starman books. His recent DC stuff has been terrible, but I'm enjoying this so far.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:40 pm 

Oh yeah? I've heard that Starman is good. What's up with it?

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:29 am 

Anyone read the Nikopol Trilogy? Definitely worth your time.

jerk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:24 am 

Well, I haven't really bothered to read anything from DC since Blackest Night, or anything from Marvel since around the time of Brand New Day. Should I bother getting back in? I'm a bit skeptical about the "New 52", they were doing some good stuff in the old one.

As for the Todd McFarlane discussion... well, I'm no fan of that 90's style of artwork, and of course, he can't write to save his ass (let me just say, Spawn got a lot better once he started to step away from it). Jim Lee, Erik Larsen and Marc Silvestri were all better artists. But he has at least gotten better (as have all the others I mentioned), whereas Rob Liefeld stayed the same, so that's a point in his favor. Plus he makes awesome action figures.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:02 am 

Silvestri is the man - the work he and Ennis did on The Darkness is fucking supreme.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:28 am 

One day in my life as a corporate raider I did a hostile takeover of Marvel Comics!

My first act as owner and editor was to make the issue of Spider-Man where Doctor Doom cries over the WTC canon permanently! I also added a rule to the corporate charter forbidding writers from making any alternate universes where Doom didn't cry!

My second act was to retcon One More Day in real life, by finding and destroying all copies of every Spider-Man comic where he's married to Mary Jane and deleting the info from Wikipedia!

My third and final act was to cash in all my stock immediately before selling every Marvel character and trademark to Image comics! Then I threw my tennis sweater around my neck and drove my golden Cadillac into the sunset!

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:40 am 

Putting down Todd McFarlane? I can understand not liking Frank Miller's blocky drawings, but Todd McFarlane?! For shame, FOR SHAME.

techthrasher324
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:36 pm 

I like Todd's early stuff when he drew the Amazing Spider-Man and when he wrote and drew adjectiveless Spider-Man and Spawn, but recently, haven't really been into the guy.

I like the new Ultimate Comics Spider-Man written by Brian Michael Bendis that's out right now, but they just changed artists and the new one is just okay. I haven't gotten into the New 52 as much as I should have though. I've heard some good things about that.

One thing I'm tired of these days is all of these pointless crossovers. It was okay at first, but House of M was dull, Civil War sucked, and the less I say about Countdown, the better. I wish Marvel and DC would just let their titles run on their own for a while. I would also like it if they fire Dan DiDio and Joe Quesada, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon.

kurtdarkholme
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:25 pm 

Not to derail, but I can't believe how bad this Uncanny X-Force arc has been. They went from the epic that was The Dark Angel Saga to this? The book is about mutants fighting mutant threats, preferably with pointy things, not fantasy battles and bad art. The only bright point has been AoA Nightcrawler, though Deadpool did get some good scenes in the last issue. It's sad to say this because I love Rick Remender but I can't wait until this is over.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:28 pm 

Supposedly the Hip Hop artist MF DOOM is releasing a comic book soon... starring himself. Can anyone confirm this?

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:21 am 

techthrasher324 wrote:
I like the new Ultimate Comics Spider-Man written by Brian Michael Bendis that's out right now, but they just changed artists and the new one is just okay. I haven't gotten into the New 52 as much as I should have though. I've heard some good things about that.

I can't get over the fact how much the man loves retconning really stupid stuff, introducing über-powered characters who are that only because of the rule of cool (and plot devices) as well as having such a hard-on for certain characters, a lot of them of his own making/re-imagining.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next