Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:13 am 

Got Zap #16! Yep, the previously unpublished issue. Not high on Robert Crumb's later work, but it still has some strong contributions from Clay Wilson, Spain Rodriguez and Moscoso.
Also, sold the two issues of Al Columbia's Biologic Show several days ago. I was quite addicted to Columbia's work at one point in my existence, but it went away. I got enough dough to buy me Kaz's Underworld: From Hoboken To Hollywood. I just love old gags, folks browsing their asses off on 9GAG and other stuff just don't know jack shit about gags.
As for the rest... good news for persons like me: Fantagraphics will be publishing Peter Bagge's collected Neat Stuff stories! Can hardly wait for that one. I got my room pretty stuffed with what I consider to be the best underground comix of the seventies, the complete Segar's Popeye (that one is damn heavy!), some coffee table books on Feldstein, Wood and Toth, Gary Panter's Dal Tokyo, Jerry Moriarty's Jack survives (aht comics, but I dig them anyway), Robert Williams' excellent Hysteria In Remission and several volumes of the Complete Crumb series. Ah, and Maakies! All of them.
Ah, yes, and Herbie. You should definitely get acquainted with Herbie. It's deliriously great.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:03 pm 

had no idea it was even in production... http://www.dailydot.com/geek/joseph-gor ... man-movie/

american gods gets the series treatment, too. (ok, it's not a comic, but still)

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:04 pm 

TripeOverload wrote:
Got Zap #16! Yep, the previously unpublished issue. Not high on Robert Crumb's later work, but it still has some strong contributions from Clay Wilson, Spain Rodriguez and Moscoso.
Also, sold the two issues of Al Columbia's Biologic Show several days ago. I was quite addicted to Columbia's work at one point in my existence, but it went away. I got enough dough to buy me Kaz's Underworld: From Hoboken To Hollywood. I just love old gags, folks browsing their asses off on 9GAG and other stuff just don't know jack shit about gags.
As for the rest... good news for persons like me: Fantagraphics will be publishing Peter Bagge's collected Neat Stuff stories! Can hardly wait for that one. I got my room pretty stuffed with what I consider to be the best underground comix of the seventies, the complete Segar's Popeye (that one is damn heavy!), some coffee table books on Feldstein, Wood and Toth, Gary Panter's Dal Tokyo, Jerry Moriarty's Jack survives (aht comics, but I dig them anyway), Robert Williams' excellent Hysteria In Remission and several volumes of the Complete Crumb series. Ah, and Maakies! All of them.
Ah, yes, and Herbie. You should definitely get acquainted with Herbie. It's deliriously great.

I still have the 2 biologic show issues, and the sketchbook thing he did later. A shame it wasn't more prolific but by all accounts he's quite mentally ill and unstable.

Started on Poison Elves. It's silly and quite juvenile but I like it.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:02 pm 

I have come to like Pim & Francie more than the Biologic Show. Cleaner drawing style, more melancholic and paranoid.
But some of the bestest stories in the horror genre (and not only!) are to be found in Dr. Wirtham's Comix and Stories. Those pages are oozing with craziness.

twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:28 pm 

Has anyone here read anything from Glenn Danzig's comic book company Verotik?

Was it any good? What would you recommend?

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:52 am 

Hey guys. Need a little help here - I don't know much about graphic novels or comics, though I read a lot of random shit in my teenage years. Anyways I am looking for some "cool" stuff I can appreciate as an art book or sneak peaks into immersive worlds or something. Can anyone recommend graphic novels with beautiful, trippy, psychedelic, rad, out there, alternative etc art and cool story lines? Could be sci fi, fantasy, horror or basically anything out there really. Preferably single issue novels or something that's easy to get in a few compilations. Not much for long running series that might overstay their welcome or simply get too expensive to collect. Thanks!

Here's some stuff I have already just to show a few examples of what I like

Spoilers for size

Moebius - the airtight garage

Spoiler: show

Monocyte

Zigerlig - Lovecraft's Call of Cthulhu

And I just ordered a bunch of stuff I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on

Space Riders

Descender

Divinity

Ody-C

Bone

Emmanuelle+Valentina (NSFW)

And I have a bit on a to buy-list: Uzumaki, Locke and Key, Neonomicon, Lone Sloane, Zero, more Moebius. I am not much for super heroes but I read a lot of good stuff about Moon Knight #4 (just that one issue, as it's supposed to be a mindfuck -and- a stand alone piece)

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:12 am 

Make sure you grab the Moebius art books Chaos, The Art of Moebius, and Metallic Memories.

That Emmanuelle looks good.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:23 pm 

andersbang wrote:
blah blah blah

those examples are not really helpful, being all over the place :p try Sandman (the prequel, "Overture", has the best art), and new-ish Saga.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sandm ... AQ_AUIBigB

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=saga+ ... wQ_AUIBigB

twistedknife wrote:
Has anyone here read anything from Glenn Danzig's comic book company Verotik?

Was it any good? What would you recommend?

I got some from grab bags, did not like. pedestrian, lowest-common-denominator writing with the emphasis (naturally) on the sexualized drawings... if you liked Danzig's latest video for the Sabbath cover, give them a go :p

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:19 am 

aloof wrote:
andersbang wrote:
blah blah blah

those examples are not really helpful, being all over the place :p

That was kinda the point :)

Your recs on the other hand weren't super helpful either, as both Saga and The Sandman apparently are very long running series, though the art of Sandman looks cool enough.

andersbang wrote:
Preferably single issue novels or something that's easy to get in a few compilations.

Anything out there with art like this?? http://www.cvltnation.com/the-mind-of-a ... shi-ohrai/

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:14 pm 

That graphic novel about young Jeffrey Dahmer is awesome, I recommend it. Dunno the English title.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:43 pm 

droneriot wrote:
That graphic novel about young Jeffrey Dahmer is awesome, I recommend it. Dunno the English title.

My Friend Dahmer, by Derf?

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:57 am 

Is there any other comic book on that matter...? That's gotta be the one.
Got Walking The Dog by David Hughes a week ago. Quite a fat graphic novel. Whole lotta neurosis going on.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:40 pm 

I just blazed through Locke and Key, holy shit

wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:13 pm 

I collect 2000AD progs every week, and have a stack I inherited from the late 80s/early 90s. I love Rogue Trooper, Slaine, Strontium Dog, ABC Warriors etc. There's so much more to it than Judge Dredd. Age of the Wolf literally had my jaw drop as I read the ending.
I like a lot of classic Marvel but have given up on their stuff from the last decade or so. The Punisher, X-Men, Spider-Man being amongst my favourites.
I love DC's New 52, and a good chunk of their classic stuff. (So for those picking sides and keeping scores, I prefer classic Marvel but recent DC). I think my favourite New 52 series are probably Justice League, JLA, Justice League Dark and Batwoman.
I love Neil Gaiman's Sandman, a lot of Alan Moore's stuff. I recently read a graphic novel of The Ring of the Nebellung that I highly recommend to anyone into fantasy/mythology/Tolkien.
I've got a copy of Maus I keep meaning to get around to.
I read the first Locke&Key book recently and I was sceptical but it was decent, not enough for me to go racing for another copy.
My all time favourite comic/graphic novel, and (film) is The Crow.
I've read a good amount of Star Wars comics too and I like almost everything Star Wars.
Read Asterix a lot growing up, and still collect those.
Read the first The Walking Dead and it put me off the tv show, it's so much better but I still am put off by all the hype.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:09 pm 

andersbang wrote:

Eh. That was my overall ending feeling after finishing Locke and Key. It started out really strong, but as with many things, the "epic conflict" they hinted at having taken place before the beginning of the comic ended up being way less epic than it seemed. It was just a bunch of kids fucking around in the basement and OH MAN the younger brother tags along and fucks everything up! Then the final epic conflict at the end got wrapped up in a bow way too neatly. Like obviously in this sort of comic the main characters were going to triumph just when it seemed they couldn't possibly win, but it just didn't seem earned. Plus when they started having the cosmic horror actually speak directly to the characters about its plans, it demystified it a TON (but it was still edgy and scary because it threatened everyone with rape 5000 times!!!). Plus the sentimental ending bit where HEAVEN IS REAL and even all the dead people live happily ever after. I dunno, I just hate it when stuff that's explicitly imitating Lovecraft pulls its punches like that. Heaven and eternal rest and all that shit has absolutely no place in a Lovecraftian universe.

Basically, the setup promised a much bigger payoff than we got.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:18 am 

Gonna start reading Krazy Kat. Haven't done so before as a kid on account of my father believing I wouldn't get the somewhat sexual undertones of the whole thing, which is odd since I could have just read it as a child would, and, re-reading it later on, I could notice the subtleties. Sounds like a far more satisfying experience, as I've already done so with Tintin, but whatevs.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:57 am 

failsafeman wrote:
andersbang wrote:

Eh. That was my overall ending feeling after finishing Locke and Key. It started out really strong, but as with many things, the "epic conflict" they hinted at having taken place before the beginning of the comic ended up being way less epic than it seemed. It was just a bunch of kids fucking around in the basement and OH MAN the younger brother tags along and fucks everything up! Then the final epic conflict at the end got wrapped up in a bow way too neatly. Like obviously in this sort of comic the main characters were going to triumph just when it seemed they couldn't possibly win, but it just didn't seem earned. Plus when they started having the cosmic horror actually speak directly to the characters about its plans, it demystified it a TON (but it was still edgy and scary because it threatened everyone with rape 5000 times!!!). Plus the sentimental ending bit where HEAVEN IS REAL and even all the dead people live happily ever after. I dunno, I just hate it when stuff that's explicitly imitating Lovecraft pulls its punches like that. Heaven and eternal rest and all that shit has absolutely no place in a Lovecraftian universe.

Basically, the setup promised a much bigger payoff than we got.

I don't agree with you here on many points, though you're right about the ending itself which was way too happy. Putting some stuff in spoilers here:

I never saw the demon's entrance into our world portrayed as an epic conflict, so I didn't feel let down by the realization that it was just these kids messing around and fucking up. I didn't really think that it was a problem when the horror told em about it's plan, since the reader has known that it want to open the door for a long, long time, and to me it was just cool that it wanted to open the door for a different reason than just "lets open the gates between worlds so your world can be consumed muahaha"-cliche. As said, I agree that the series ended way too happy or light, but I loved it anyway because it was pretty brutal throughout, with a great sense of suspense or dread or "how the hell do they get out of this", really good characters and a cool take on magic.

I'm reading Space Riders now. If Locke and Key made me go holy shit, this is just screaming FUCK YES right into your fucking eyeball

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5