Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
toto_death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:00 am 

Tattoo enthusiast artist feel free to post pictures.
Been searching constantly for designs that would complete my backpiece,,,inspired or similar to Moyen and Riddick artworks or dark concept,,mine is greywash..so if any of you have any recommendations,,it is very much appreciated...thanks all the same

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:34 pm 

I plan on getting my first soon but I've been having trouble getting feedback on the design

Opinions?

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:41 pm 

I like the eye design, why not make it part of a big ass demon face? Also it would look way better in color I imagine. I only have the one tattoo you can see it on my FB link. Don't know who Moyen or Riddick are so can't really offer any suggestions to the OP.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:40 pm 

i honestly didn't know it was an eye till i read KC's post about it being an eye. I thought it was some logo based off Spitfire/Diablo paintballs.

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:24 pm 

Yeah I guess there's more that could be done with it, thanks for the feedback.

OP: might I suggest Gustave Dore or Daniel Van Nes?

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:42 pm 

It looks like an eye bro. Don't worry about it. If people are curious, they'll ask you about it. Also, no no demon face, it looks retarded.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:28 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
It looks like an eye bro. Don't worry about it. If people are curious, they'll ask you about it. Also, no no demon face, it looks retarded.

But honestly, not much more retarded as it looks right now. which is kinda like a less curvy tribal thing.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:36 pm 

Is there a partner eye to complete the collection? I think it would appear more ocular that way. Plus that is a hell of a lot of random shading detail. A lot of which doesn't seem natural to a normal eye, so that's where I think the 2nd eye would be critical to have. To create a consistency in the artwork, so that a norm is created.. or something like that. Idk- if you like it, then by all means. But that's my two cents.

Same here, OP. Sorry I can't really help out there.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:36 pm 

Ehh...debatable. I don't think it looks terrible now, no, I wouldn't get it or want it, but if it's his design then it's got more meaning to him than looking cool. But demon faces and shit? lame. It's like getting wizard tattoos.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:51 pm 

Yes, looking cool isn't everything. And wizard tats are definitely not cool. haha But if the artwork isn't 100% appeasing to oneself, then there is room for improvement I feel. I mean where is he planing on getting it? The right pectoral, so he can constantly have an angry eye glaring into his heart? Cool enough concept (with some meaningful backround put behind it), but just one eye feels incomplete without it's eternal compatriot. In this case the left eye. If the eyeball was focused right in the middle, then I think it would be more feasible to be by itself.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:02 pm 

I don't think most of you understand that also whether it is for personal reasons or connections to why he want's a particular tattoo... many artists will try to improve upon a design they think is weak or poorly done because they don't want their name associated with it. I'm talking about actual artists and not some jacklegs with a gun mutilating people's arms on the downlow.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:04 pm 

I'd like an ouroboros eventually.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

imthatguy666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:10 pm 

Debating getting the Black Flag logo on the inside of my left wrist Comments?
"Metal is a means by which to contemplate and momentarily transcend the blind cruelty, oppressive tedium, and tragic absurdity of existence."

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:15 pm 

imthatguy666 wrote:
Debating getting the Black Flag logo on the inside of my left wrist Comments?
ImageThis one? I think that'd look neat. It'll hurt, though, the closer you get to your hand (fyi).

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:17 pm 

Tattoos as works of art are kinda lame. Tattoos should just be something you put there to bind yourself to a political/religious/etc philosophy. Like a symbol of satan to represent your solidarity with the dark one! Just a reminder so you don't grow up to be a born again christian or whatever the case may be.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:30 pm 

Meh, I mostly agree. But I can understand where people are coming from. Those who use their body as a canvas, so to speak. Either way, it's all on them, so it is non of my business to decree one way or the other.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:19 pm 

There is no need to have a specific reason or statement for someone to get a tattoo.

All i have actually do have personal reasons for me to get them that I don't share because that's my choice, but I don't look down on people who get shit just because they like it.

The only people i look down upon who get tattoos as fashion statement with no thought in them. You know, the people that look at the wall of flash for 20mins and decide to pick the anchor/tribal/skull whatever because they think it's cool and in to get one to show how different they are.

and to imthatguy666, If you love black flag that much go on and get it.
The only thing I can add to that is that it's one of the most overused tattoo in the punk/hardcore scene since the misfits skull. So you'll be getting a lot of 'oh shit dude you like black flag? I do too!" *shows you their black flag bars*

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:00 pm 

MortalScum, if you really feel strongly about the tattoo you could go ahead and get it. You could always get it covered up with something else down the line if you changed your mind.

But my 2¢: You can come up with something better. The first time I saw it I didn't even know it was an eye...it just sort of confused me initially, then looked like a rasty sperm. Then someone mentioned it was an eye. :)

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:19 pm 

I want a Blind Guardian related tattoo but havent thought of anything for the top of my arm i could use

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:31 pm 

First thing that came to mind with that eye tattoo was St Anger. Must be the way the lines are drawn.

DrFunkenstein
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:17 am 

I'm not particularly against the idea of a tattoo, but I just really can't think of anything that I'd want to look at forever. I dunno, I get bored of stuff and want to move on to something new after a few years usually

GarageMetal468
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:06 am 

Folkemon_ wrote:
I want a Blind Guardian related tattoo but havent thought of anything for the top of my arm i could use

That thing on the brown mat/whatever in the middle of the people could work.

I really do want tattoos but the one thing preventing me from getting them is money. What with paying for school and other shows to go to, I can't really come up with $250+ to spend on tattoos at the time. I am contemplating getting a burning meteor on my left arm, though. Starts from the top by the shoulder and the flames go on and stop right before my elbow/forearm. Just an idea, though.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:46 am 

I have a few designs and I agree with SLK for the most part, if you really like something or really want it, then go for it, I've seen so many lame ass tattoos and you can tell they just picked them out of a book at the studio.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:38 am 

^On that note, I would always suggest either designing your own (you don't need to be a great artist, just convey the idea and if the tattooist is good at their craft, they'll make it work on you...) or getting someone who can draw to help you design it. You may as well put some effort into something which will cause you pain and be with you forever.

I have several tattoo's; the one which was impulsive and looks shit is a really small DMT molecule on my inner forearm. Why oh why...:|

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:01 pm 

got some myself and I can't stress enough how impoertant the choice of an artist is. Even if better artists often could cost more moeny, they mostly (my exp.) have a longer time of waiting for a session (6-8 months with my tattoo artist) you can see it that way that you have more time to save money ;-). Some of his customers even take holidays and come along from italy or france (we're in germany).
It's def. worth the waiting. Much better than getting it done to quick by someone who has plenty of free sessions (think about why he has so much time... noone wants tats done by him).

As for the design itself - I always had ideas and sketches by myself, took them to my artist and each time was stunned what he made out of that. I mean - he's an artist so it's mostly a good idea to let him get creative and artistic as long as he sticks to your ideas. Of course that doesn't count when wanting a band tattoo or sth with a fixed design...

@ Folkemon: not a fan of band tattoos (still happy I didn't get Eddie on my arm when I was 18) but the perfect BG tattoo for an arm is def this dragon lute/guitar:
http://www.apochs.net/CDs/BlindGuardian ... erSide.jpg

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:57 pm 

I'd like to get this on my back, just haven't found anyone cheap enough but with the skills to take on the task.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:02 pm 

If you ever do please post some pictures cause that would be awesome.

FroMagnum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:10 pm 

Gonna get that winged demon with heptagram for my first tat on my right inner-forearm. I had a different tattoo that I was planning to get but I think this would make a better first tattoo because of its simple design and size. Hellhammer is the band that turned me onto black metal and musically changed my life. They are also a monumental influence on my playing style, no matter the genre. And because the band is long and forever split up, I never have to be worried about being disappointed or losing interest. I will be perfectly content to bear this tattoo for the rest of my life.

T51b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:52 am 

I have every intention of getting some variation of the Die Die my darling artwork on my body at some point. While I primiliary listen to metal, the Misfits of all incarnations mean more to me as a band than any particular metal band I can think of.

That has been my favorite variation so far. I dig the Marilyn spin that guy put on it. The ones of just the comical cover version all look pretty crappy.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:55 pm 

I just got this about a month or two ago. It's the best picture I could get of it at the moment.
I drew up the design myself, and just really wanted it, so I got it. I plan on get many many more.
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g346/gelseth_andrano/Picture24.jpg

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

Last edited by Gelseth_Andrano on Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:52 am 

Get the Hellhammer/Darkthrone logos or Emperor's 'E'

SheerTerror
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:16 am 

I have a goat skull on my arm, got it a few years back.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:40 am 

I've got a few ideas, one of which being some Alchemical symbols for various metals - Mercury being the main one. Don't think I'd ever get a band related tattoo, however. I won't be getting tattoos until I'm good and rich though, haha. I know far too many people who are covered in tattoos and complain about not having much money. I want to hurt them. A lot.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

toto_death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:50 pm 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
I like the eye design, why not make it part of a big ass demon face? Also it would look way better in color I imagine. I only have the one tattoo you can see it on my FB link. Don't know who Moyen or Riddick are so can't really offer any suggestions to the OP.

too bad, you don't know those artist

John_Sunlight wrote:
Tattoos as works of art are kinda lame. Tattoos should just be something you put there to bind yourself to a political/religious/etc philosophy. Like a symbol of satan to represent your solidarity with the dark one! Just a reminder so you don't grow up to be a born again christian or whatever the case may be.
really?lame? but i think you're quoting the bible when you said that tattoos are there so you can affiliate yourself with some religious groups or mark of the beast so to speak...

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
If you ever do please post some pictures cause that would be awesome.

here are some of my tattoos
this is from Riddick the centerpiece

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

the second design is from Moyen but I changed the head with a metal beak crow,,its supposed to be a pig or something

this is the latest of the three-piece
uploaded it from my tattoo artist's page,,its still fresh and healing so I did not take a more recent picture

I was hoping to see some of your tattoos,,,and artist's designs oh well

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:13 pm 

Thanks for reminding me. Gotta get my mark of the beast.

toto_death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:23 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Thanks for reminding me. Gotta get my mark of the beast.

i think you're on the wrong thread bro

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:27 pm 

Toto, he's obviously joking.

toto_death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:28 pm 

MortalScum wrote:
Yeah I guess there's more that could be done with it, thanks for the feedback.

OP: might I suggest Gustave Dore or Daniel Van Nes?

nice,very nice

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:12 am 

I really like all 3 of those Toto. Especially the evil wizard crow that looks like the guy from The Dark Crystal, that's bitchin. I don't quite understand where the third one will fit in however. To compare/discuss seriously mine's on my link, I can imagine it's poor etiquette to post a big ass picture every time a tattoo thread comes up.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:16 am 

toto_death I like your tats also. And that's saying a lot - I normally hate most tattoos.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next