Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:00 pm 

It's common for people to have pets, which, if you think about it, is an interesting social phenomenon. What motivates us to invite animals into our home? And what further motivates us to choose the type of animal we want as our pets? It's common for people to have cats and dogs so we'll start there, but if anyone has any exotic or unusual pets feel free to talk about that too!

One topic I wanted to discuss though is: are you a dog person or a cat person and why?
I'll start by saying I'm a cat person. I think the motivation for that is largely that I'm more like a cat than a dog. I have thought before that dogs represent a more extroverted personality and cats are like introverts (which doesn't necessarily mean you can't be an extroverted cat person or introverted dog person it's just something I've observed). But I like that cats are independent, they can take care of themselves and don't need a lot of attention; and they will come around when they want attention or stay away when they don't. They also don't blindly accept you as their guardian, their trust has to be earned. I also appreciate their general playfulness and curiosity about their environment, as well as their mischievous demeanor. I don't mind dogs, but my problem with them is that they can be over-bearing, needy, and sometimes overly aggressive (towards both humans and other dogs).

So I would like to hear about your preference/thoughts on pets and whether you prefer dogs or cats (or both) and why. Pictures and funny stories are welcome. :)

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:04 pm 

I've never had a pet or much direct contact with animals throughout my life, but I guess I prefer cats. Why? I just think I'd find it easier to raise a cat due to not having to walk them everyday and not being a very energetic person overall.

Btw, no idea if this is very accurate but here's a map showing people's preference when it comes to having cats or dogs as pets around the world:
Spoiler: show

I expected Japan to be dark green. Interesting how in most of Europe and in the USA and Canada people tend to have cats over dogs.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:32 pm 

Dogs all the way. Last saturday we had to put down our 13 year old yellow lab, saddest day of my life.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:41 pm 

Festivus wrote:
I've never had a pet or much direct contact with animals throughout my life, but I guess I prefer cats. Why? I just think I'd find it easier to raise a cat due to not having to walk them everyday and not being a very energetic person overall.

Btw, no idea if this is very accurate but here's a map showing people's preference when it comes to having cats or dogs as pets around the world:
Spoiler: show

I expected Japan to be dark green. Interesting how in most of Europe and in the USA and Canada people tend to have cats over dogs.

That is a really interesting map, I also would have expected most people in Europe and the USA to prefer dogs. Also interesting how all of the countries in South America and Asia that have data prefer only dogs, I also would have thought it to be the other way around.

metroplex wrote:
Dogs all the way. Last saturday we had to put down our 13 year old yellow lab, saddest day of my life.

Sorry to hear that, my family has a dog that is about that old and he's not doing the best either. They're basically like a family member after you've had them for that long though.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:56 pm 

No idea about South America, but I definitely expected cats to be more popular pets than dogs in the eastern and south-eastern regions of Asia.

It seems my country prefers dogs. I only got anecdotal evidence but I believe I know more dog lovers than cat lovers. Or maybe it's the dog lovers who are more vocal. Lots of people keep fairly big dog in small apartments.

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:29 pm 

Most people in rural areas of the US prefer dogs. They have more room to roam around, which they need, and are better companions for hunting, hiking, etc- plus they can be protectors, or put to other uses such as livestock management. And they just bond better with people. Cats are more aloof and independent. You never hear about people taking their cat for a walk, or going places with a cat- they tend to freak out inside of moving vehicles. But the preference is, cats are cleaner, are less likely to poop in the wrong places, are less likely to smell bad, and tend to be lower maintenance. They are more of a city folks pet. Plus they appeal more to people who like "cute and fuzzy" type of pets.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:18 pm 

For some reason, people have a hard time believing that I actually like both cats and dogs equally. Unfortunately, I have never had the privilege of having a pet, but I have been exposed to them. The reason why I like cats so much is because they're just so charming, cuddly, and independent. However, they can be very distant, and I think that's one of the reasons why people don't really like them. Also, cats don't express the same amount of love to their owners as much as dogs do because they value their freedom.

Basically, everything you've mentioned about both cats and dogs is spot on. Yes, dogs are incredibly friendly and loyal, but the fact that they are needy, clingy, and rely on you for handling their droppings gets very annoying.

There are pros and cons for each of those pets. But, if I were to get a pet (and I will once I move out from my parents house and get my life started), I'd probably go for a cat.

rexxz, to Deathwish77 wrote:
If I gave you a penny for your thoughts, I'd get change.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:26 pm 

I've tried to like dogs but I can only assume I don't get along with them because I'm not a dog person. I don't know what to do with them. With a cat, when you bend down to pat it, it bends its head up and closes its eyes and purrs and you can see it is responding and enjoying the interaction. When I meet a dog it just bounds up to me and wags its tail and patting it makes no visible difference that I can tell. People say cats are independent but that is true only materially - emotionally dogs are the more aloof and distant creature and that is the deal-breaker for me. I also hate the barking, it's unbearable and seemingly unstoppable even for the best owners. They aren't necessarily easier to train. I take my cat for walks at night (he follows me) and he obeys and responds to me more than many dogs I've seen being walked in the park ignoring their owners who yell at them constantly.

AboveTheThrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:03 pm 

I grew up with both in the house, and I like both equally. Most people who say they "hate cats" simply don't understand how they communicate affection; they are just as loving as their canine counterparts. There's a sense that you have to "earn" a cat's respect, which makes it kind of flattering when they choose to cuddle with you by their own free will. As already mentioned, their quiet and inoffensive presence is a plus.

Dogs are cool, as well. The only time I would tell someone to not get one would be if they don't have a large yard for them to run around. I guess the selling point for dogs is that they're much more outgoing -- you can live like a nomad and your pup would be perfectly happy to tag along. Cats? Lol no. Cats are a bit more anxious, obviously due to their smaller size. I used to feel bad about playing music a bit loud with my parents' cat around. Dogs generally don't give a shit.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:21 pm 

"Cat people run, run like the wind. Cat people screw, screw like the wind. Even old moldy Noahhhh....wouldn't even let 'em in. C-c-cat people, w-w-w-win."

Dog person myself, but I mainly attribute that to the fact that the family cat we had growing up was a really shitty cat. Mostly terrified of people and would run away if you looked at it funny or made any sudden movements. It definitely gave me the impression that it was not at all a remotely domesticated animal. Also it pissed everywhere. I like dumb, loyal, lovable dogs.

I'd give a cat a shot again for sure, but I think I'd wanna get to know it first.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:25 pm 

I got two cats in 2004 that were strays. One stayed outside a couple of months longer than the other and was super finicky, always hiding and running whenever there was a noise. For some reason once I laid down to go to sleep she would come around me and lay on the bed. THAT cat pissed everywhere, but her sister (the other one I still have) had no problems like that and it totally domesticated despite spending her first few months outside.

I'm a cat person obviously, but not necessarily by choice. Dogs fucking HATE me, and always have. It's something about my awkward body language and height, but they are always barking at me.

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:35 pm 

There's not really much difference between cat and dog people in the end. They're both just as likely to starve their pets or let them loose to starve outside once they tire of them.

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
like a prehistoric cabbage with a whale boner

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:12 pm 

I would like to hae a cat, but they tend to aggravate my allergies worse than dogs. I mean, I can visit a house with cats, but might struggle living there. So I grew up always having a dog.

metroplex wrote:

Sorry to hear that. After my old Sheltie/Cocker Spaniel had a stroke, carrying him in to get put down was the hardest thing I'd ever done. Getting a new pet soon might seem disrespectful to his memory, but it really feels good to have doggish sounds in the house again. And you never forget your old dog either.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:55 pm 

Both. Currently with two cats and one dog.

Diamhea wrote:
I got two cats in 2004 that were strays. One stayed outside a couple of months longer than the other and was super finicky, always hiding and running whenever there was a noise. For some reason once I laid down to go to sleep she would come around me and lay on the bed.

Seems like mine. I found him starving in the woods when he was a few months old, and he always seemed to be barely domesticated, specially compared to my other one, which lived indoors her whole life. As he got older he mellowed out, but he's still finicky and gets into alert-mode at the slightest of noises or brusque movements. Even though he lived the great majority of his life with me, what little time he spent alone in the wild seems to have a big influence on him.

Earthcubed wrote:
There's not really much difference between cat and dog people in the end. They're both just as likely to starve their pets or let them loose to starve outside once they tire of them.

People are arrogant. Or stupid, I don't know. They think animals are toys or accessories to their little egotistical stroll through life and don't have a shred of guilty in disposing of them once they don't feel like keeping their pets anymore. Makes me puke.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:37 am 

I have two cats, Mr Mokoma and Mr Horna. Both used to be boys, but now they are consultants. I like them a lot, especially Horna. He's a fat and stupid glutton, but extremely social and occasionally acts like a dog. He knows his name, and seems to understand quite a bit of spoken words, especially anything that has something to do with food, sauna, or getting to explore the basement. Mokoma, less than half the size of Horna, seems a bit autistic, and fails to get any kind of social hints whatsoever. He either avoids you when you would like to pet him, or keeps pushing when he's not welcome. On the other hand, he's the one smart enough to open doors and occasionally open escape routes from the house. Or loot the fridge.

I like dogs, too, and used to have one until the divorce. That particular animal, however, almost killed my will to socialize with dogs, as his favourite pastimes were digging through the rubbish bin in the kitchen and then eating whatever he found on my bed, and then puking/shitting all over the house afterwards. The ex-wife sometimes asks me and the kids to babysit the damn thing, and I have so far let the thing stay in my house occasionally, as long as the kids take care of him. That's not necessarily the case in the future, after the stupid animal mined the living room with enormous piles of semi-liquid shit last time he was there.

Cats are nice things to have around, and their maintenance is really easy. Dogs, on the other hand, have their social skills and human-like intelligence on a wholly different level, and a well-behaving dog might work in my life, except for the occasional extensive work travels and the necessity to stuff even more routines into my already fully packed days. So, that's not going to happen.

I must also admit that a part of my dislike towards the dog stems from the divorce and the issues surrounding that. He became a symbol for a lot of things in that respect, and I have little warmth towards the animal as a result. I'm happy he's mostly gone. Just like the ex-wife, actually.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:52 am 

The thread's title could have been a horribly campy momster movie from the '50s.

acid_bukkake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:02 am 

I have both. I love both. I've only met one cat (not counting feral) in my entire life that didn't like me and the only dogs who didn't like me were severely abused prior to being rescued.

Given the choice if I were completely 100% on my own, though, I'd choose a cat over a dog. I can trust their behavior better. You know a cat just wants to sleep, eat, shit, and occasionally play, but it will entertain itself if need be. Dogs need focus and energy to train them to not piss and shit wherever they're standing, they'll eat pretty much anything, and being woken up by barking at 1 in the morning is never pleasant (even less when it's because a car down the street backfires).

Plus? Cats are just so much more fun to cuddle, with their stupid little kitty paws and fluffy tails.

Nolan_B wrote:
Always a bad idea to get black out drunk while hanging around bearded Russian mystics.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:51 am 

My cat is the only one I have ever seen who fetches. It all started because I would be playing video games, and she would want to play next to me with one of her toys. I didn't have a problem with this, except sometimes she would get to violent and scratch or bite me if she got too close. So I would just toss the toy a few feet away and she would run after it. Eventually she started bringing it back to me and it became a little game! She was obsessed with fetching for a while but that was a few years ago, she'll still do it once in a while.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:05 am 

aww, I like a cat who fetches!

super dog person here. I grew up with three massive dogs of various mutt varieties, and I have a beagle who I walk about an hour a day. keeps me active in addition to working out and gives me some time to unwind after work. I don't dislike cats as much as I used to, but I definitely prefer dogs overall. my main thing is that I like my cat, but not other people's cats. whereas I'm interested in everyone's dogs.

ambient
drone
noise for your girlfriend
last.fm

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:41 am 

I grew up with cats. The two I have now are probably the best duo I could imagine. One's more skittish and one's a total diva who always needs to be on someone's lap and together they make an extremely fun, entertaining pair.

My girlfriend has completely turned me on to dogs though. I never really cared much but she's just a super animal-lover and I guess it rubbed off and now I follow like 75+ dog accounts of all types of breeds on Instagram. When we move in together at some point I'm sure we'll end up rescuing a pit bull or something.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:13 pm 

Would be cool if this thread had a poll.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:31 pm 

Dogs should live mostly outside. I suppose American houses usually aren't walled, fences mostly, right? Or am I falling for a stereotype?
Well, the fact is here in Brazil every house is walled, like, 2-3 meters high walls, so people let their dogs live in their yard because they can't escape, and cleaning their mess becomes easier.

Said that, I'm most of the time around cats, don't own any myself. I don't really like how some dogs like to play gently biting your hands or ankles. Not that I mind it much, but some people near me are really afraid of dogs and when they start doing that shit they freak out.
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:58 pm 

Why should dogs live outside?

Dog person here. I don't trust cats that I don't know, I can't tell how they will react as good as with dogs. Dogs are usually very clear about that and warn you. Cat's are more unpredictable to me.

About the introvert/extrovert thing. I don't think that goes up. I think it's pretty 50/50. In my experience the extroverts own cats. Maybe so they can be their extrovert self and don't have to care a lot about a pet that needs a lot of attention. But that's based on nothing.
Megadeth Cyber Army member #14126
http://cyberarmy.megadeth.com

DeadspeakNL OSDM
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Deadspeak/1380704462220853

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:03 pm 

I don't trust strange animals, period. I see people petting strange dogs on the street at times, but I'm not taking that risk. And I won't trust an animal just because their owner reassures me that "he doesn't hurt a fly".

Never been attacked by an animal. Sometimes dogs will try to smell my jeans and shoes. As for cats, stray ones avoid me or look at me suspiciously while domestic ones tend to smell my jeans and shoes and then purr on my leg for a few seconds. I'm guessing that's how they leave their scent on you.

One thing I find annoying is how dogs will start barking loud whenever someone knocks on the door or enters the building. I'm glad none of my current neighbours own dogs atm. Although dogs can be useful if someone suspicious enters the apartment building in the middle of the night.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:17 pm 

Jasper92 wrote:

A lot of breeds enjoy having the free space and open air, they don't deal well with confined spaces. Just a 30min walk through the neighbourhood isn't enough to keep them happy. Small ones like Poodles or whatever can be kept inside without problem but it's not the ideal for a Collie or Husky

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:22 pm 

I have a cat. Never really been into dogs - they drool, they fart, they stink, and can sometimes be a bit annoying. I also had three hamsters and three goldfish when I was a kid, btw.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:26 pm 

FWIW, I read in the newspaper a few months ago that many metalheads seem to be cat people. The explanation was that metalheads can relate to the independent nature of cats.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:55 pm 

Marag wrote:
Jasper92 wrote:

A lot of breeds enjoy having the free space and open air, they don't deal well with confined spaces. Just a 30min walk through the neighbourhood isn't enough to keep them happy. Small ones like Poodles or whatever can be kept inside without problem but it's not the ideal for a Collie or Husky

Poodles ain't small bro! Unless they are toy breeds. But, yeah, I have a beagle and he's small as hell, but he's a hunting dog, so you gotta do around an hour. Having a small backyard helps, but the walks are really everything.

ambient
drone
noise for your girlfriend
last.fm

AboveTheThrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:06 pm 

Am I losing my shit, or did there used to be a thread designated entirely for pets? I know this is a different subject; I'm just curious since my parents have issues with their two cats that I need some opinions on.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:17 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Poodles ain't small bro! Unless they are toy breeds. But, yeah, I have a beagle and he's small as hell, but he's a hunting dog, so you gotta do around an hour. Having a small backyard helps, but the walks are really everything.

By "small" I meant toy breeds. Malteses, Shi Tzus, etc. I don't ever see poodles that aren't toys, so I forget other kinds exist. I rarely ever see breeds that aren't toys or Labs anyway.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:54 pm 

Cats all the way.

I've worked on animal rescue for years and over time I was more specialized on cats rescue, temporary home and relocating them into new homes. Since Cats are smaller and easier to treat, I could 'store' and help more of them. This made me adopt 11 cats in total (4 are gone by now).

I prefer Cats for a number of reasons but the most important to me are the fact that they have way more developed personalities than dogs. Each cat is different from the other and they have quite distinguishable personalities. Just as an example, my cats are/were like this (all neutered btw):

-Ren. I bet he was a mix of Maine Coon, with his +10kg and HUGE size, all white and blue eyes. He had the 'king' personality where he was the boss, always showing 'pride', he knew he was pretty and loved to nap. He was very affectionate and liked I was with him. He had plenty of 'human' gestures as well. Oh, if you visited my house you HAD to greet Ren. If not, he would get angry.

-Ari. He's Ren's little brother, also white with green eyes. He's the 'teenager' of the clan. He's an hyperactive cat who's always running/jumping/playing and making funny faces when you talk to him. He likes to be petted but he's usually quite busy playing. He likes to sleep with other cats.

-Ambar. She's a tortoiseshell girl with a pretty calm character. She's usually always near, loves to be petted and he's always looking for the other cats. She has a 'mother-like' personality where she's always cleaning the rest and she makes sure everyone is near - when it's lunch time for them, if someone is not there she goes on the search and comes back with the rest to have everyone eating together. She's also a quite efficient alarm and loves to sleep on my chest.

-Jade. She's a calico with a weird color fur (grey/blue, white and peach), with emerald eyes. She's a total diva who knows how pretty she is. She avoids most of human contact and only allows people looking at her, only when she's being praised. She's really narcissistic to the point she even look herself at the mirror (at difference with other cats, she doesn't fight her reflection but keep looking at herself for a while).

-Max. Jade's blood brother - also with emerald eyes but with black/white coat. He's totally in love with his sister and he acts like the big brother, protecting her from people and other cats. He's her shadow and is there all the time. Besides that, he's quite affectionate but he doesn't allow people to take him, especially if her sister is present. He avoids strangers unless he's presented by me. He is also an active player. When Jade is sleeping he sleeps with her or plays with other cats but he keeps a distance where he can saw her.

-Anya. She looked totally like Sylvester the Cat. She was easily the most affectionate cat I've met. She loved to be petted not only by people, but from cats as well. She was the 'caretaker' of all cats, mine and the rescued ones (I kept rescued cats in separate rooms but Anya got along with any cat just well, all the time, making all things easier since she also took care of those cats cleaning them and stuff like that. Her scent on those cats helped to keep calm the others). She got along with just everyone and was also the one who received the visitors.

-Miska. She's a calico who hates people She looks like the common Japanese 'lucky cat'. She's in love with Ari and she's with him all the time. Both sleep always together. She's quite pretty but she doesn't care; she's like the 'tomboy' of the group. She plays/fights with the males all the time and acts totally 'ungirly'. She's like the opposite of Jade. She was Anya's best friend as well, since both were always cleaning themselves and played together moreso than the rest (besides Ari).

-Adele. She was already 8 yrs old when I found her. She was white feral cat with skin cancer that was about to be euthanized by her former owners. I thought of giving her a chance and she underwent surgery, with great results where the cancer was removed at 95%. She lived in a farm and was quite wild so it took a bit of time to me to earn her trust. She liked to climb things and always slept at my side, had quite the strong character and often she fought with the rest but over time she mellowed her character to the point of being able to stay with the rest in the same room without fighting. She was very close to me and was the one who chatted the most. I talked with her like I talked to a person and she always gave me answers combined with different gestures. After some years of good health a part of her cancer beneath an eye appeared and started to grow; over a year after that I had to make her sleep forever. She gave me a huge lesson of life and I'm always grateful for having her with me. She was cremated and I have her urn at my apartment.

-Oliver (Oli). He's Ambar's son, white with almond colored eyes. He's a total baby in character. Very playful, cheerful cat that loves to play with everyone and loves to be petted. He's always attracting attention and everything and everyone is a toy for him. As I describe him, 'life is a game' for him. He also likes to play with visitors and loves to sleep over black clothes. He also loves to watch movies/anime, when I do it he sits near me and don't move from there until the show is done. He purrs very loudly and he can't stop doing it while I pet him.

-Lucky. He was a very ill cat that was found hear my ex-wife's job. He was in pretty bad shape and looked ugly but he had a lot of energy to fight his diseases and won over the cats, so he eventually stayed home. He became Oli's best friend and partner in crime. Both destroyed many things at home but looking at them playing made me forget about it. He always was delicate in the food thing and I did the best to keep him healthy; he got better, even totally healthy for some years until a sudden liver failure took him down. He was just as cheerful as Oli.

-Florence (Flo). She's a tortoiseshell that looks really similar to Ambar. The youngest of all (1 yr) she's a very affectionate cat that is as lazy as Ren. She loves sleeping and always is near taking a nap. Flo also loves to watch TV/Movies and to drink water from the water's faucet directly. She hates to be alone and she meows even if I'm on the bathroom. She's also quite good to purr! she's always purring and showing the tip of her tongue.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:03 pm 

Marag wrote:
Jasper92 wrote:

That's why people should walk and exercise their dogs. Even small ones get frustrated when kept indoor all the time. We go out for 1,5 hour walks on a daily base, but after that our dog loves to be inside, get up on the couch and roll up against us.
I don't think you're a good owner if you keep your dog inside all day long, but if they get their exercise I will let them in to be part of the 'pack'.

Ours is a Border Collie/Boxer, so it needs it's exercise. She will tell you if you forget her haha.

Edit: I re-read your first post and I think I read it wrong at first. I guess we are on the same wavelenght.
Megadeth Cyber Army member #14126
http://cyberarmy.megadeth.com

DeadspeakNL OSDM
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Deadspeak/1380704462220853

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:48 pm 

Festivus wrote:

Can I add one after it has already been created?

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:53 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Cats all the way.

I've worked on animal rescue for years and over time I was more specialized on cats rescue, temporary home and relocating them into new homes. Since Cats are smaller and easier to treat, I could 'store' and help more of them. This made me adopt 11 cats in total (4 are gone by now).

Wow that's really cool how well you can describe all of their different personalities. And it really is true, not just cats, but all animals have distinct personalities just like humans. All living things experience everything differently, and animals especially have a completely different take on things than we do. Even though they can't speak they can definitely still teach us things, not only about nature but about ourselves as well.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:57 pm 

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
Festivus wrote:

Can I add one after it has already been created?

No idea since I've never created a thread on these forums. If you can't, maybe you can ask a mod to add a poll for you?

ThanatosUK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:03 pm 

I'm a dog lover (I have no beef with cats) but I think it's because I grew up with them. I don't buy the personality stuff since I'm relatively shy and a big introvert despite walking my dog twice a day.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:21 pm 

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
Kveldulfr wrote:
Cats all the way.

Wow that's really cool how well you can describe all of their different personalities. And it really is true, not just cats, but all animals have distinct personalities just like humans. All living things experience everything differently, and animals especially have a completely different take on things than we do. Even though they can't speak they can definitely still teach us things, not only about nature but about ourselves as well.

Working on rescue is a quite bittersweet experience. I've saved many cats and dogs from dying and found them new parents but sometimes you have to deal with really painful and enraging situations.

At my work a dog was cut with a knife on his neck. When we saw him I gave him first aid care and I was able to stop the bleeding. Animals know when people is used to them and when people has good intentions on such situations.

A couple of months ago someone dumped 5 baby cats on my job's garden. Since people knew I have cats they brought them to me and I took care of them for a week until I could find sustitute mothers for them. They had aroun 10 days and needed to eat at least within 3 hours, so I slept near nothing, had to prepare special milk, give it to them with a syringe, stimutate the piss and poop of each (they can't do it on their own until 4-5 weeks) and to keep them warm. I had to put them in a box and carry them to my job all that week so I could keep feeding them and doing all the other shit. It was tired as hell, but they survived!

I would love to make that my main occupation but it doesn't pay the bills.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:03 pm 

I've grown up with cats so I suppose I'm a cat person. My last cat (Katie) was awesome. She lived 21 years and absolutely adored me, and would sleep on my bed when I listened to metal. She was fantastic.

Our current cat (Sage) is younger and doesn't like me as much, but her personality is very different. She has a lot of skin issues so that's a bit of a downer but I still love her. :)

I'm not against dogs and might even get one when I move out, but overall I think I'm a cat person.

Rompestromper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:23 pm 

a real dog person here. I own Border Collies with whom I train for Sheepdog trials and that is extremely awesome.
They are incredibly smart and sometimes out smart me and other dogs in the walking areas we come, very funny but sometimes tiresome haha!
honestly a dog doesn't need to live outside or inside but it needs both. It needs a good walk off leash for at least 1,5 hour a day and 3 rounds on leash for like 20 minutes besides that you can do a lot of mind games in and out the house. since you work a lot together you bond quite strongly (especially with sheep dog training) so I will never be at that level with any cat. When the trial season starts again we will be out a lot and that is great, if that is your thing (and it is mine) and a great addition to my work in the laboratory, lets me stretch my legs (I have my lunch with the dogs).

stories from dogs play biting humans or barking a lot, never experienced that with a dog older than 1 year, pups need to be goofs and explore life with the teeth and sound.
some people who are extremely scared of dogs love my dogs because they tent to feel that and respect that, they are not in your face unless you invite them but I think that is part character and part education, but there are a lot of dogs who are well, scary (untrained, mistreated etc., I always feel sorry for those dogs cus it isn't because of them but misunderstanding and Cesar Milan stuff that they are treated worse). I love and respect my dogs and they really love me which you can see after a good days of work with a big flock or a trial, even if we didn't finish, I just thank them for all their effort.

I am also playing a litter with my wee bitch in the future if I can find the right working qualities in a male to combine with mine.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:02 pm 

Rompestromper wrote:
stories from dogs play biting humans or barking a lot, never experienced that with a dog older than 1 year, pups need to be goofs and explore life with the teeth and sound.

Spot on, I was specifically referring to a 4 month old fila/rottweiler (which was quite large at the time already). She loved to bark at people and tried to pull them to play with her, but people who aren't accustomed to dogs simply didn't get it and thought it was an attack or something like that.
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next