Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 9787
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:23 am 
 

But are they asking themselves the most important question of them all... what were his favourite music bands and video games??
_________________
Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
you can debate the actual date that metal began, but a fairly agreed upon date is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old
Extreme_violence wrote:
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

Top
 Profile  
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:46 pm
Posts: 4995
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:32 am 
 

I already made that comment on the last page :p Too slow, Morri!
_________________
lord_ghengis about Vomitory splitting up wrote:
They were a band who understood music needed more explosions.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheEndTimeRiff
http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Top
 Profile  
Veracs
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:56 pm
Posts: 1893
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:39 am 
 

Morrigan wrote:
But are they asking themselves the most important question of them all... what were his favourite music bands and video games??


Manowar makes all violent crime happen.
_________________
Malignanthrone wrote:

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Magic Mike

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 5463
Location: Oswego, Illinois
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:51 am 
 

Not to puff up my peacock feathers or anything, but I made a 6'3", 280lbs, 34 year old man cry at work today. The reason I'm sharing this even though without context it makes me look like a giant douche (believe me I was in the right to call him on his bullshit, it's too long a story to type out on my phone but management was on my side) is because this is probably the first time in history that an employee somewhere screamed that a coworker was "a parasitic cunt who should choke on a peanut butter cup" in front of customers and somehow end with the person who was being yelled at be the one punished by management.

I'll probably be in trouble tomorrow, but man was it worth it today. Fuck that guy.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Job for a Cowboy - Sun Eater

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 2238
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:13 am 
 

Veracs wrote:
TheStormIRide wrote:

As far as handguns... I've noticed that most of the handguns that the criminals have are stolen from normal people. I tend to think that the less people that own guns, the less they will be stolen. Nappy's right when he says that it would take at least twenty years for this to start working, but by making guns more difficult to get for normal citizens, it would make it more difficult for the criminals to get guns. I can't imagine all of the idiots I deal with on a daily basis traveling to a major city, tracking down an arms dealer and then driving back to central PA to have a Highpoint 9 with a scratched off serial number stuffed in their waistband.


The twenty year figure was a number Napero threw out and thats in the face of statistics that prove contrary to his premise of bans implemented on just local levels in Chicago and Dc that show these types of bans at least on higher powered rifles which are the minority in terms overall firearm owned in this country. There are 310 registered firearms in this country at least in someway legally purchased whether buy traditional fire arms manufactures, gun shows, or by private sellers, that isn't even including the illegally trafficked guns, stockpiles that exist, and guns that are coming in from criminal syndicates like the Cartels and other crime organizations. It has never been easier to buy a gun and even if a federal ban was implemented how exactly are you going to to prosecute the tens of millions who will undoubtedly refuse to give up their guns? More importantly, if you disarm them then how are you going to prevent these law abiding citizens from defending themselves in the face of criminals who utilize vast amounts of ill-gotten dollars who may use this gun ban (assuming its not just automatic weapons your banning) as an impetus to perpetrate more crimes?

Sorry, but science disagrees with you: Via the WP
_________________
I will, I will, I will, I will never fuck a non-man ass nigga

Top
 Profile  
Veracs
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:56 pm
Posts: 1893
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:24 am 
 

I am genuinely not interested in pursuing this ipso facto bs argument further, Napero feel free to smack me with a Hevisaurus cd. This citing one source thing is literally pointless case in point:

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-201_162-576422.html

http://www.thecommunityguide.org/violen ... ms-law.pdf

http://people.duke.edu/~gnsmith/articles/myths.htm

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/opinion/ ... 225361.php

Apparently Science doesn't agree with any of us. Not to mention I didn't even bother posting the graphs for the Chicago weapons ban, and the British weapons ban that show that violent crime went up. But you know, these damned statistics. So how are you all tonighe.
_________________
Malignanthrone wrote:

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 2238
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:41 am 
 

You did sort of leave out that the British weapons ban also significantly decreased national HOMICIDE rates, which seems fairly notable but I guess contradicts your deeply entrenched worldview, (which could probably only be changed with electroshock).
_________________
I will, I will, I will, I will never fuck a non-man ass nigga

Top
 Profile  
Veracs
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:56 pm
Posts: 1893
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:46 am 
 

They went over that too.

Image

I guess is a pure spike means electroshock therapy for homicide rates for the stricter 97 gun ban than I guess so.

* Not counting the above-listed anomalies, the homicide rate in England and Wales has averaged 52% higher since the outset of the 1968 gun control law and 15% higher since the outset of the 1997 handgun ban

http://m.politics.co.uk/reference/gun-crime

(40% increase in violent crime)

Can we please end this, since my flawed worldview is insulting your Marxist sensibilities so much (ironic since Stalin banned guns in 1929, and look at how well that turned out)
_________________
Malignanthrone wrote:

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 2238
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:55 am 
 

Why do all of these "sources" stem from batshit fringey right-wang websites?

And since when is Stalin Marxist?

Everything is curious.
_________________
I will, I will, I will, I will never fuck a non-man ass nigga

Top
 Profile  
Veracs
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:56 pm
Posts: 1893
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:59 am 
 

I don't know check the four links I had posted prior to the graphs from Justfacts, instead of coming across as a sarcastic tool like you usually do when we get into these spatters as usual. Nice strawman argument though,, I'm still waiting on getting smacked by a very detailed post by Napero in which I'll undoubtedly benefit from learning more. He stated something about Finland having more guns per capita which didn't come out when I did a simple Wiki search.
_________________
Malignanthrone wrote:

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Top
 Profile  
Adriankat
Veteran

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:54 pm
Posts: 2653
Location: San Jose, California
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:14 am 
 

Morrigan wrote:
But are they asking themselves the most important question of them all... what were his favourite music bands and video games??

The falsely accused shooter liked Mass Effect on his Facebook page which resulted in Mass Effect's page was spammed by god fearing middle aged women.
http://mashable.com/2012/12/14/mass-eff ... -shooting/
They should make logic and critical thinking classes a prerequisite for acquiring a high school degree or even a GED... just a thought.

Edit
Thought about it for a moment and I realized that teaching high school students must be a philosophy professor's worst nightmare. :lol:
_________________
Let's be friends on Steam|Last.FM!

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 2238
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:09 am 
 

Veracs wrote:
I don't know check the four links I had posted prior to the graphs from Justfacts

Oh, I did. A study by the CDC (that proved nothing?) and an article published at Duke that unironically concluded with the line "Join the NRA. Support ILA. Work with us. We need your help." The other two sources seemed legit, however, and I'll need more time to analyze them properly.

Now did you manage to check all of the sources in the WP article I posted, especially this one?
_________________
I will, I will, I will, I will never fuck a non-man ass nigga

Top
 Profile  
inhumanist
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:09 pm
Posts: 4621
Location: 50 Forts Along the Rhine
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:18 am 
 

Can someone tell me if there are any posts that are not gun law discussion on the last two half pages? I'd like to check those out, but not so much the other ones.
_________________
Metantoine wrote:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?
CorpseFister wrote:
Personally, I prefer to know nothing of the esoteric hierarchy of MA and the profane rituals required to attain rank.

Top
 Profile  
Byrain
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:45 pm
Posts: 1237
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:21 am 
 

darkeningday, I hope you're joking about electro shocking people that disagree with gun bans....

Gun prohibition would make a lot more sense if it affected police and military first, though, I hope no one expects such a thing to prevent such incidents from happening again.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/14/world/asi ... index.html
Hardly an isolated incident...

Top
 Profile  
Napero
GedankenPanzer

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:16 pm
Posts: 8558
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:25 am 
 

I'm not going to make a detailed post about anything, just a rant. Sorry for the mistaken idea about firearms per capita... I'm pretty certain that there are at least some weapon classes, probably shotguns, or maybe some demographic vs gun ownership statistics that we lead, but the overall picture seems indeed to be that you have more guns.

In any case, the immediate answer everybody seems to throw around immediately upon questioning firearm ownership is the 2nd amendment. And that's another piece of faulty reasoning most people outside the USA have righteous difficulty understanding: the constitution of any country should never be regarded as rigid, unchanging, bible-like document that can't be rewritten. That's insanity. However revered the piece of parchment and its amendments are, they are just popularly accepted rules that could and should be changed if the situation calls for it. Yes, I know that's not going to happen in the USA, but then again, that's not the only part of the USA that has already stagnated. And the argument is similar to the extremely annoying abortion "discussion" you have over there: it's polarized, with little middle ground audible to the outside world. On one side, there's the lobby that says that a fertilized egg should have a belt-fed machinegun that fires WWII antitank rifle rounds, to help it protect the sanctity of life, and on the other side there are equally bigoted people who think that all the guns should be melted to make dreamcatchers and plowshares and that unless the fetus is completely outside the womb, including the hair on top of its head, it can be killed with a scalpel/suction hose/baseball bat, because it's not a human being. You people need more varied opinions, more credible political parties, and a dose of common sense for those who stand in the middle ground of things; they could enact a change every now and then, weren't it for the extreme ends of the spectrum yelling with flying spittle and red faces. It's not about completely abolishing every gun in existence, it's about changing the way people think, and instituting some sense and controls in the rules.

As far as gun control goes, I can't for the life of me imagine any sensible reason to allow any automatic weapons, or even handguns, really. I would not mind a complete pistol ban, because they do not serve any real purpose here. None. But I'm happy with the system that, say, takes away the guns from felons, insane people, and those with obvious problems with their mental stability. And I'm happy that there are strict rules on locking up the guns, extensive and slowish permit system, and extra checks whenever the weapon is not something by default meant for hunting, the only sensible real world use for a gun. Because what we have here is shotguns and mostly bolt-action rifles, not Uzis, semi-automatic versions of assault rifles, or 9mm Glocks with capacity for 7634 rounds. The guns here are generally used to hunt, not for home defense.

And as far as the argument that people would start a violent protest upon any attempt to take away the guns... give me a break. Just try to get the average overweight, lazy, lethargic Westerner to take up arms and actually go on a campaign that would obviously last for years, and you'll see that with the exception of a few thousand survivalist loonies on the Canadian border, most people simply could not be arsed to really do anything about it. Complain and whine, yes, but to take up arms? For two days in the privacy of their homes, sure.

But in the end, it's your own business, and I don't care. I just wonder how long it will take for you people to really understand that the only way to reduce deaths by firearms is to reduce the number of firearms; at the same time I do also understand that you people see some civilian shooting a criminal as a positive thing, and as long as the actions of private citizens are somehow preferred or even equal to the work of the police in fighting crime, nothing is going to change.

Just don't try to import that way of thinking across the Atlantic, OK?
_________________
Chest wounds suck (when properly inflicted).
-Butch-

Top
 Profile  
Byrain
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:45 pm
Posts: 1237
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:43 am 
 

Napero, I agree generally with your second paragraph, you especially hit the nail on the head with, "it's about changing the way people think", however I am lost after that. You have to remember that here in the US and many other places in the world (Maybe not in Finland?) the people who abuses guns most commonly are those with authority who gun control would not affect and those who never purchased their guns through the legal market. The media focuses on incidents like this though, it gets viewers...

Though, say gun control is enacted, what is to stop this from becoming like the war on drugs or piracy, futile? Or to stop non-gun related incidents like those that are happening in China (Which I believe the western media largely ignored?). I think it comes down to what i quoted from your second paragraph, "it's about changing the way people think", I'm doubtful prohibition and new regulations will bring this about.

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 2238
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:56 am 
 

Byrain wrote:
Though, say gun control is enacted, what is to stop this from becoming like the war on drugs or piracy, futile?

Drugs are fun; piracy gets you stuff. What the fuck does a gun do outside of doling out injury and compensating for small dicks? People who collect guns for their historical or aesthetic value would still be permitted to do so--it isn't hard to make firearms completely inoperable without harming their appearance.

I just don't see that as a reasonable comparison. The only use of a firearm is to shoot it. And discharging it would be a punishable offense. End of.
_________________
I will, I will, I will, I will never fuck a non-man ass nigga

Top
 Profile  
Byrain
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:45 pm
Posts: 1237
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:13 am 
 

darkeningday wrote:
Byrain wrote:
Though, say gun control is enacted, what is to stop this from becoming like the war on drugs or piracy, futile?

Drugs are fun; piracy gets you stuff. What the fuck does a gun do outside of doling out injury and compensating for small dicks? People who collect guns for their historical or aesthetic value would still be permitted to do so--it isn't hard to make firearms completely inoperable without harming their appearance.

I just don't see that as a reasonable comparison. The only use of a firearm is to shoot it. And discharging it would be a punishable offense. End of.


Uhh, you're so missing the point...

Forget it, you're not worth it, you should go sit in a corner and feel bad about making such terrible arguments. Come back when you're willing to try to understand both sides of the issue.

Top
 Profile  
MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:17 pm
Posts: 2013
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:21 am 
 

Byrain wrote:
Though, say gun control is enacted, what is to stop this from becoming like the war on drugs or piracy, futile? Or to stop non-gun related incidents like those that are happening in China (Which I believe the western media largely ignored?). I think it comes down to what i quoted from your second paragraph, "it's about changing the way people think", I'm doubtful prohibition and new regulations will bring this about.


The thing is, you can't compare guns to drugs or piracy. First off, piracy is a digital crime so it's a completely different thing and not in anyway comparable to this. Second, drugs are consumable goods. Someone buys ten doses of drug x from you. After he consumes those ten doses, he's gonna come back to you for more, perhaps even more than that ten he bought the last time because drugs are also addictive and you build tolerance as you use them. Guns on the other hand are durable goods. Someone buys a gun off of you, he's probably not going to come back for another one next weekend. He might come back for one at some point, sure, but it's very hard to predict when that would be. So you don't really have a good base for dealing illegal weapons, at least not in a western country that enjoys (relative) peace. It's simple economics. As well as logistics: Drugs are much easier to smuggle in bulk. You bring in a kilo of pure stuff, you can spread that out to... Well, I wouldn't really know, but going by what tv and film tells me, five kilos, give or take one, by watering it down. That sells for - again I have no clue, but I imagine in tens or hundreds of thousands. While a kilo of guns will net you... Hell, I don't know about this stuff either, but it's around one pistol at most. So you can sell that piece for a couple of hundred dollars or something. And producing that pistol probably costs about as much as producing the needed raw materials for that kilo of drugs.

As for knife-related assaults. I can't say I'm an expert in psychology, but I would imagine it takes a special kind of psyche to go for a physical assault with a knife (or other instrument) as it does to go shoot people. These assaults in China aren't really that comparable to the gun-related incidents as undertaken by teenagers and young adults in the western countries. It's got more to do with the oppressive government and lack of possibilities in the lives of the people there rather than being bullied in school. And it's much easier for a group of people to gang up on someone with a knife than on someone with a gun. Hell, even a single person who isn't taken by surprise, stands a chance against a knife-wielding assaulter while if someone comes at you with a gun, the last thing in your mind is to charge him.

Of course it all comes down to changing how people think, but that's a difficult thing to do and takes a whole lot of time. Gun control is an easier, short road solution, that might or might not work. Also, it's a part of changing how people think. Just like banning cigarette advertising while not banning smoking completely.

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 2238
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:29 am 
 

Byrain wrote:
darkeningday wrote:
Drugs are fun; piracy gets you stuff. What the fuck does a gun do outside of doling out injury and compensating for small dicks? People who collect guns for their historical or aesthetic value would still be permitted to do so--it isn't hard to make firearms completely inoperable without harming their appearance.

I just don't see that as a reasonable comparison. The only use of a firearm is to shoot it. And discharging it would be a punishable offense. End of.


Uhh, you're so missing the point...

Forget it, you're not worth it, you should go sit in a corner and feel bad about making such terrible arguments. Come back when you're willing to try to understand both sides of the issue.


...the point being?

I don't disagree that harsher gun legislation is simply an ill-fitted band-aid to a festering wound that shows no signs of healing (at least in this country) any time soon. But it's the absolute best option we have. Faith that we can somehow Change The Hearts and Minds of Everyone™ through "better" (whatever that means) education is even more Utopian than the most pipe-dreamy dogmatic view of Anarcho-capitalism or Communism. People who tow that line are almost always closeted gun nuts who are either completely out of touch with reality or simply grasping at any platitude they can get their hands on to further stall this nation's inevitable gun-control legislation. Usually, it's both.

Remember: guns don't kill people; bullets do. <3
_________________
I will, I will, I will, I will never fuck a non-man ass nigga

Top
 Profile  
Scorntyrant
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:55 am
Posts: 1117
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:47 am 
 

none of you have actually answered the question of why do so many of you feel the need to own guns? Why is, to steal a phrase from Hofstater, "the paranoid style in american politics" such a motivating factor? All everyone is doing is saying "you're living in la-la land, this is how it is". Which might be an acceptable argument WITHIN America (although god knows why), but it says NOTHING to us elsewhere in the world who think its utterly bizarre.

http://studyplace.ccnmtl.columbia.edu/f ... -to-40.pdf
_________________
[quote="Mike_Tyson"]

"I think the average person thinks I'm a fucking nut and I deserve whatever happens to me."

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 5611
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:09 am 
 

BastardHead wrote:
Not to puff up my peacock feathers or anything, but I made a 6'3", 280lbs, 34 year old man cry at work today. The reason I'm sharing this even though without context it makes me look like a giant douche (believe me I was in the right to call him on his bullshit, it's too long a story to type out on my phone but management was on my side) is because this is probably the first time in history that an employee somewhere screamed that a coworker was "a parasitic cunt who should choke on a peanut butter cup" in front of customers and somehow end with the person who was being yelled at be the one punished by management.

I'll probably be in trouble tomorrow, but man was it worth it today. Fuck that guy.

I say good for you, BH. Just like you say, sometimes it feels mandatory to tell someone to fuck off with all of the right words. Care to explain the entire story when you have time?
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
Fun fact: if you put a baby on a vegan diet, it dies. Vegans are babykillers.

Top
 Profile  
TheStormIRide
Jesuscop

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:45 pm
Posts: 1026
Location: Altoona, PA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:21 am 
 

I can't speak for anyone else, but I feel compelled to own guns because of my line of work. Because of the fact that I'm required to live in the city I work, all it would take is one person to follow me home after leaving work. If I wasn't in the line of work I'm in, I would probably only have my hunting rifle and a shotgun, again for hunting.
_________________
Quote:
DON'T GO TO BRAZINDONESIA!!!!!! THEY LIE WITH CLAIM OF BANDS COME TO THERE!!!!!!!!
INDONESIA IS ALWAYS THE YES DECISION!!!!!!! NO TO BRAZIL, INDONESIAN VERY FUCKING YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! \M\\//\

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Magic Mike

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 5463
Location: Oswego, Illinois
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:29 am 
 

It really doesn't make sense unless you've worked pizza delivery. Basically he snipes orders, steals them from the other drivers if he thinks he will make more off it than what he would have. We don't get paid hourly, we get paid a small charge per delivery plus whatever our tips are. Because of him, I've been screwed out of at least $60 over the last two Fridays. He makes shit late on purpose for the customers to either fuck over other drivers or make some stupid point. Nobody ever calls him on his shit because he's been working there longer than most of us and I just exploded because I'm not going to let him walk all over me week in and week without consequence. There's more to it that explains why I went from disagreeing with him to exploding on him and the managers who let him have his run of the place, but the bottom line is that management took me aside when I was the only driver left and told me I was right and they've been noticing his manipulative bullshit too and they'll probably take him off of Friday nights, which is the busiest night, because there are arguments every week and they all revolve around him. Management says they work with me on other days and I never have problems, and they know I'm non confrontational so my explosion was entirely uncharacteristic.

It was the second time in my life that I've blown up on a coworker. Both times it was in earshot/view of customers and I really should have been in huge trouble, but both times it ended with the recipient of my anger being in trouble. Proof I only really lose it when I know I'm being unfairly screwed by a selfish asshole.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Job for a Cowboy - Sun Eater

Top
 Profile  
Poisonfume
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:26 pm
Posts: 1129
Location: Greece
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:36 am 
 

I can't stand it, it takes a LOT to blow my top off and FedEx has done it.
FUCK FEDEX. FUCK THEM.
Their lines are down for the weekend so I can't even call to swear at them.
'TIS THE SEASON TO BE FUCK YOU FEDEX
/enraged rant
_________________
LegendMaker on pointless genre dissection wrote:
Will you in turn help me classify the shemale/ladyboy, tranny/ladyboy, ladyboy-shemale/tranny, and tranny-ladyboy/shemale sub-folders of my shemale/ladyboy/tranny collection?

Top
 Profile  
CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:47 am
Posts: 5070
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:38 am 
 

I think the biggest problem here Mr BH, and probably a large contributor to his bursting into tears is the fact that at thirty five (?), he still works as a pizza delivery boy/man. Might be a tad harsh and he may have other things on his plate, but I'm just sayin' (from an outsiders perspective).
_________________
Not for mercy does the evolution of I progress...

My collection

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Magic Mike

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 5463
Location: Oswego, Illinois
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:52 am 
 

This is his secondary job, he has another full time job. Another reason he infuriates me so much is because of that. I am one of two people there who doesn't have another job, and yet he still finds it necessary to screw me like he does, knowing full well I need that job more than he does.

I've worked with people I despised on a personal level, I've worked with a GM who would make up rules in order to find reasons to write me up or impose his dominance over me, I have NEVER worked with somebody who actively tries to prevent me from making money before.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Job for a Cowboy - Sun Eater

Top
 Profile  
CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:47 am
Posts: 5070
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:59 am 
 

Working alongside people you despise is a problem, especially when they can resort to these kind of games. Very infuriating. My workplace actually kind of thrives on a sort of aggressive tone on a daily basis, which is half tongue-in-cheek and sometimes more serious, but mostly jibing. I personally like to be upfront, to the point of outright bluntness when called for - no point in backing down. Get that shit sorted. Especially in a circumstance like yours.
_________________
Not for mercy does the evolution of I progress...

My collection

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 9787
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:05 pm 
 

Byrain wrote:
Gun prohibition would make a lot more sense if it affected police and military first, though,

Uh, what?

Quote:
I hope no one expects such a thing to prevent such incidents from happening again.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/14/world/asi ... index.html
Hardly an isolated incident...

Are you... oh my, you're seriously using the China attack as incident? Even the headline alone should tell you what a terrible analogy this is: "Knife attack at Chinese school wounds 22 children". But yeah, keep thinking the shooter would have done the same amount of damage with a knife, because, uh... cognitive dissonance I guess.

Also, it is an isolated incident. All these attacks are. China has 1.3 billion people for crying out loud.

Quote:
you should go sit in a corner and feel bad about making such terrible arguments

Irony alert
_________________
Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
you can debate the actual date that metal began, but a fairly agreed upon date is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old
Extreme_violence wrote:
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Magic Mike

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 5463
Location: Oswego, Illinois
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:12 pm 
 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Working alongside people you despise is a problem, especially when they can resort to these kind of games. Very infuriating. My workplace actually kind of thrives on a sort of aggressive tone on a daily basis, which is half tongue-in-cheek and sometimes more serious, but mostly jibing. I personally like to be upfront, to the point of outright bluntness when called for - no point in backing down. Get that shit sorted. Especially in a circumstance like yours.


The only driver to have been there longer speaks fondly of the old "driver wars", where he and the asshole would compete and see who could screw the other dude out of more orders. Sorry man, maybe if he'd been cool with me before, I would be cool with a friendly competition. But when you keep doing shit like that to me right out of the gate simply because you're an asshole, I'm not gonna play that game.

One negative is that now I probably have a reputation in the restaurant. The new guy blew up on [that dude]? Man keep clear of him, he's psycho.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Job for a Cowboy - Sun Eater

Top
 Profile  
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:45 am
Posts: 9725
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:55 pm 
 

Really I don't see any reason not to implement some kind of standardized "gun owner's license" like we have for driver's licenses over here, which would include various safety tests and such. There might also be a record-keeping system and a yearly checkup, again like with cars in many states, and hefty fines for losing/illegally selling your guns. There are fines already for selling your guns illegally, but I don't think they keep very close track of individual owners' guns and such crimes only come to light if, say, the police find their gun in a criminal's hands. Also I think a handgun ban goes too far but there's nothing wrong with banning assault weapons and such. Nobody needs assault weapons for anything practical. They're already not allowed in hunting in many states and they're awkward at best for self-defense, unless you're defending yourself against the fucking army or something.

Also, I agree that the whole "Second Amendment" argument is ridiculous; it was written in a time when basic rifles and such were about as advanced as military equipment got, so a whole bunch of farmers armed with hunting rifles would be armed comparably to a professional army (minus cannons and such, of course). These days the idea that a civilian with a pistol or rifle or semi-automatic "assault weapon" would be in any way comparable to a professional army is absurd (unless people are going to start arguing that the Second Amendment covers tanks, too), so the whole spirit of the Second Amendment, i.e. that the citizens should have military power comparable to the state, is just not at all feasible anymore.
_________________
antonthereaper wrote:
Seriously, why ban me??????? That topic had nothing wrong with it! Theres something wrong with you i can tell you! You're immoral banning of my account! Anyways, i'm creating my own metal arcives.

http://extrememetalencyclopedia.webs.com/

Top
 Profile  
TheStormIRide
Jesuscop

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:45 pm
Posts: 1026
Location: Altoona, PA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:00 pm 
 

Most states do have some form of "gun owner's license". The only problem is that it only covers concealed weapons, and even then only eligible weapons. Hunting rifles and shotguns have no standardized regulations. Handgun and assault rifle sales usually entail a background check through a state agency (PICS in PA for instance).

On the other hand, if you own an assault rifle and want to sell it someone else, there are no laws regulating private sales. The only laws regulating private sales of firearms include handguns (post 1900 I think), which are the same type of weapons that require a background check to begin with.

I, for one, see no problem with stiffening regulation to having checks extended to include the firearms that are not covered, including hunting weapons, as no matter how you look at it, it's still a firearm, even if you can't entirely conceal it.
_________________
Quote:
DON'T GO TO BRAZINDONESIA!!!!!! THEY LIE WITH CLAIM OF BANDS COME TO THERE!!!!!!!!
INDONESIA IS ALWAYS THE YES DECISION!!!!!!! NO TO BRAZIL, INDONESIAN VERY FUCKING YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! \M\\//\

Top
 Profile  
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:45 am
Posts: 9725
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:22 pm 
 

TheStormIRide wrote:
Most states do have some form of "gun owner's license". The only problem is that it only covers concealed weapons, and even then only eligible weapons. Hunting rifles and shotguns have no standardized regulations. Handgun and assault rifle sales usually entail a background check through a state agency (PICS in PA for instance).

I realize most states do have gun licenses, but at least in PA they only require filling out and submitting a form (even for concealed carry, in my county). I'm talking like a driver's license, where you have to take a written test, demonstrate proficiency, and maybe attend classes (more like what you have to do to get a youth hunting license).
_________________
antonthereaper wrote:
Seriously, why ban me??????? That topic had nothing wrong with it! Theres something wrong with you i can tell you! You're immoral banning of my account! Anyways, i'm creating my own metal arcives.

http://extrememetalencyclopedia.webs.com/

Top
 Profile  
henkkjelle
Veteran

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Posts: 3223
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:24 pm 
 

Gun related homicides in 2006:

United States: 10,225
Japan: 2

I know that these two countries couldn't be more different from eachother, but still.
_________________
It creeps along in shadows on the hill.

Top
 Profile  
iAm
Wastelander

Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:18 am
Posts: 5630
Location: West of the Duwamish due South of the Sound
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:40 pm 
 

Wasn't there another shooting in Las Vegas this morning? I'm all for guns and what not but it's far too easy for people to get them on the street or otherwise. Regulations must be tightened.

On another note I got to see Gaza last night. IT. WAS. LOUD. Unfortunately I had to leave after their set due to a family emergency. All is well, but my brother will be going to rehab for alcohol abuse. He tried to drive through a car wash in the snow, somehow fucked it up and blew a 3.5. Yup. There's my family for ya.
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
If the U.N. flew a bunch of C130's over Syria and rained down boxes of Thin Mints, they'd be standing in a giant circle hand-in-hand singing like goddamn Whoville residents within an hour.

I hate music

Top
 Profile  
Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 6402
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:18 pm 
 

henkkjelle wrote:
Gun related homicides in 2006:

United States: 10,225
Japan: 2

I know that these two countries couldn't be more different from eachother, but still.


The biggest downsides to living in Japan are massive amounts of radiation, racism, an extremely difficult language, high cost of living, and large amounts of natural disasters. And the fact that they still use fax machines and manual labor for things that are highly automated elsewhere.

...But fuck, it's still really nice there.
_________________
The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
Hehe, foreskins.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Hehe, hole.

Top
 Profile  
TheStormIRide
Jesuscop

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:45 pm
Posts: 1026
Location: Altoona, PA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:36 pm 
 

Failsafe, I agree completely. It's like that in my county too, file paperwork at the Sheriff's office and here you go, you're very own permit to carry concealed. The Sheriff is supposed to run a criminal background check, but that's as far as it goes.

You need to show proficiency and pass a test to drive a car. You should be required to complete a mandatory firearm safety course, especially one that shows the cardinal rules of safety: treat every gun like it's loaded, only point at what you want to shoot at, etc, etc.

Unfortunately, without the regulations spreading to hunting rifles as well, there will always be access at your local Central PA Wal-Mart or Dick's Sporting Goods, or wherever you feel like buying your new piece at.
_________________
Quote:
DON'T GO TO BRAZINDONESIA!!!!!! THEY LIE WITH CLAIM OF BANDS COME TO THERE!!!!!!!!
INDONESIA IS ALWAYS THE YES DECISION!!!!!!! NO TO BRAZIL, INDONESIAN VERY FUCKING YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! \M\\//\

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 9787
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:39 pm 
 

Crick wrote:
The biggest downsides to living in Japan are massive amounts of radiation, racism, an extremely difficult language, high cost of living, and large amounts of natural disasters. And the fact that they still use fax machines and manual labor for things that are highly automated elsewhere.

...But fuck, it's still really nice there.

You forgot the rampant sexism. ;)
_________________
Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
you can debate the actual date that metal began, but a fairly agreed upon date is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old
Extreme_violence wrote:
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

Top
 Profile  
oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 6:25 pm
Posts: 5347
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:56 pm 
 

http://freemusicarchive.org/member/woktherock/blog/Zoo_Indonesia_released_their_long-awaited_new_album_Prasasti
Image
Quote:
The packaging of "Prasasti" is made out of 1.7 kg granite, with the band name and album title carved on a stainless steel plate. Inside the packaging is also a sheet of recycled paper containing screen-printed lyrics and song credits. This packaging is only available for 200 copies, hand-numbered on the sleeve. The digital format was released for free download by Yes No Wave Music.


Heavy music ... but still not heavy enough for the MA.
_________________

I write for these magazines:
http://swirlsofnoise.com/
http://againstmagazine.com/

Analysis of band names:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103987

Top
 Profile  
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:00 pm
Posts: 4419
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:03 pm 
 

Speaking of heavy.... fucking Desecresy. After sampling Arches of Entropy and being pretty underwhelmed, I was slow to check out The Doom Skeptron. But this fucking destroys. So glad they were able to regain their footing and create something on par with Slugathor's masterful Echoes from Beneath. They really, badly need a better logo, though. :nono:

More discoveries today (some courtesy of CrushedRevelation) include Manipulator, Profetus, Swallowed, Krypts, and ZOM. It has been a very good day in metal. Any more of this rumbling evil and I may end up sterile or something.
_________________
Visual Art: The Illuminated Night
Drone: IA
Shop: House of the Black Wolf

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 717, 718, 719, 720, 721, 722, 723 ... 827  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Empyreal, inhumanist, MutantClannfear, Smoking_Gnu and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group