Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:29 am 

What ORTAB said. Violence is terrible, of course, but murders and attacks happen in every big city every day that go unreported. While the Martin case might be going overreported (there are always going to be hundreds more potential stories to tell, all the time), it has seemed to cause a particular social outcry and it's probably a good thing that it's being focused on.

Last edited by Under_Starmere on Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:40 am 

Crick wrote:
Don't remind me that Man Vs Wild has been cancelled. :grumble:

:violin: To me, that cancellation was the pleasantly-surprising proof that humanity isn't doomed yet.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:44 am 

Apparently, Wild won.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:49 am 

Hell, yes! :thumbsup: And all 'Bear' got in return was an enema on a raft.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:21 am 

I'll believe humanity isn't doomed when both Alaskan Gold Rush and Cake Boss get cancelled.
Hehe, foreskins.

Vlachos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:32 am 

Just don't cancel Hoarders. Fantastic.
I took advantage of being in 8 feet of ocean water by taking an enormous dump in the water. I had goggles on so I watched it sink to the sand on the ocean floor. It was the most awe-inspiring thing I have ever seen.

Playing online like a true boller right here

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:56 am 

Terrible news. Now who's gonna tell me that, pound for pound, certain insects have more protein than beef or fish?

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:35 am 

As the Akha are exposed to the modern world the changes they are facing are sometimes beneficial but other times threatening to their survival.

Homogeneity

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:53 am 

Ahhhhhhhhhh, I must be as emo as possible on as many forums as possible! Fuck human beings, fuck trust, fuck love!

Misanthropy and destruction for life.

Not really, but that's how I feel currently.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:09 am 

...any particular events that precipitated this tirade, or did you just take bad acid again?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:18 am 

Acid helped teach me how to endure this kind of shit; no.

Never really trusted anyone in my life except my mom, and she was always emotionally distant. I trusted this girl. We dated for 3 years. She betrayed the fuck outta me. I should be returning to misanthropy more than I am. Damn it, being more enlightened as the years go by! Psychologically and evolutionarily understanding human behavior and consequently not being *AS* devastated by its failure in the realm of idealism. Bah. Alcohol helps.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:31 am 

Apologies. I was completely joking, as I thought you were. I wasn't aware of the gravity of your situation.

That sucks. Completely and utterly. I genuinely know how it feels, for what little good commiseration does; I lost my girlfriend of two years to my best friend of ten after a threesome of my devising. The following week after the break-up, I had to take a test in Social Psych on relationships. Lowest. Score. Ever.

Best of luck. And I'd personally suggest benzos over alcohol.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:35 am 

Or a good smack or two across the face.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:38 am 

Thanks

I have klonopin but I'm determined not to use it very often. I'm okay with pain right now, so yeah, smacking works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfNSaNFDXj4

Intestinal is doing it for me.

Vlachos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:40 am 

darkeningday wrote:
I lost my girlfriend of two years to my best friend of ten after a threesome of my devising.

What?

Quote:
my girlfriend

What?

Okay, the last one was a cheapshot.
I took advantage of being in 8 feet of ocean water by taking an enormous dump in the water. I had goggles on so I watched it sink to the sand on the ocean floor. It was the most awe-inspiring thing I have ever seen.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:46 am 

It would have been funnier if you'd left the mollifying sentence out. :-P

But yes and yes.

Moral of the story: group sex can be fun, but not when someone is harboring genuine emotions.

Vlachos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:53 am 

Before you pulled a train with your bud, did you have a threesome with her that actually involved another girl?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:58 am 

I'd love to say yes--really. Really. REALLY.

Sadly, I cannot. She was just too straight :-/.

Vlachos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:01 am 

Damn.

If women were men, they'd be pimps.

fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:44 am 

Fetalfeast requesting One(1) subject change.

Swedish death metal is finally clicking with me, I can actually enjoy Left Hand Path now. I always had a soft spot for a few acts, namely Authorize and Nirvana 2002, but for some reason I never liked the movement as a whole.

Also I rediscovered Coldworld, and goddamn I have been depriving myself these last couple years.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:47 am 

What's so great about Coldworld?

fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:53 am 

It's simple, no-frills melancholic black metal with a fantastic symphonic element. I love it.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:45 am 

Dammit. Why do Oreos always drop filling side down?

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:02 am 

mindshadow wrote:
As the Akha are exposed to the modern world the changes they are facing are sometimes beneficial but other times threatening to their survival.

Homogeneity

I'm legitimately starting to think this guy is schizophrenic or something. The "massive block of text with designer shoe links unceremoniously shoved in random places" spambots have a better batting average than this dude when it comes to making any sense.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:17 am 

Good. So I'm not the only one who had absolutely no idea what that post was referring to? I thought it was a pop culture reference I didn't get.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:39 am 

darkeningday wrote:
That sucks. Completely and utterly. I genuinely know how it feels, for what little good commiseration does; I lost my girlfriend of two years to my best friend of ten after a threesome of my devising.

I'm speechless.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:18 am 

It seems impossible to get corned beef at a good price other than right before St.P's day. My local grocery store only carries one brand of it fresh, and it's quite expensive and not very good. The cheap stuff they brought in for the holiday was really good, but I only bought one and it's all gone now.

How does canned corned beef compare to fresh? Is anyone able to find it at a reasonable price year-round?

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:30 am 

Boris always makes me smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... lcV_XF09qA

Someone said it was a Japan only Nintendo game

Last edited by bronxeel on Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:36 am 

Calusari wrote:
Good. So I'm not the only one who had absolutely no idea what that post was referring to? I thought it was a pop culture reference I didn't get.

His FFA posts tend to seem completely irrelevant and preposterous with more or less obscure references and complete failure to cite them and to indicate the context.

mindshadow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:11 am 

Calusari wrote:

:roll:

Ilwhyan wrote:
His FFA posts tend to seem completely irrelevant and preposterous with more or less obscure references and complete failure to cite them and to indicate the context.

It was a quote from a webpage about how the mountain people of Thailand and Burma (Myanmar) are finding it increasingly difficult to survive and face increasing outside interferance from groups of people who are trying to impose their views on them.

Recently I've been reading about the Musqueam a First Nation government in Canada B.C and I see creeping homogenity steadily assimilating cultures who have lived a unique way of life (sometimes since the last ice age) who hardly impact on their surroundings.

I believe one day all these bands will cease to be, or in such a diminished non functioning state as to offer no clue as to how their ancestors lived and survived. Sprawling ghettos are all that will be left and when people realise we can learn much from these cultures and should be preserving them, instead of ridiculing and shunning them it will be too late and their ages old knowledge will be lost forever. They are being assimilated into a mainstream uniformity stripped of any distinct identity, expected to live in mass high rises paying taxes watching television drinking beer and having children all so they can the pleasure of repeating the cycle. A small percentage of people however will continue to be very wealthy and have holiday homes where once people gazed up at the stars with wonder and fished in rivers or planted crops laughing and singing.

Please excuse me if I continue to sound preposterous and irrelevant.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:23 am 

Mindshadow should create a thread in which he posts obscure references and clues, and we would have to find out what he means. A sort of online treasure hunt..

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:31 am 

Now, mindshadow, was that really so difficult?

While I seem to be able to understand the relevance of your posts in almost 50% of the cases without googling (if I'm exceptionally lucky on a given month), the younger ones on the board are probably not as loaded with completely useless trivia as I am. If you attach some sort of explanation and/or link to your musings, they might turn from "I'm just throwing this here, 'cause I'm, like, aware" to something that might become a discussion. Actually, I believe you're the kind of dude who notices a minor news item on the US shoving a bunch of marines into some obscure corner of the world somewhere off the map, and immediately spend 17 hours on Wikipedia and Google, just to be able to tell your friends in a matter-of-factly manner something along the lines of "yeah, it's a good idea to get rid of Moshda Butula, the brutal dictator of Bananistan, but we should not forget that the Gorgyfagyest people on the plains hold the areas with oil, and have an ancient goat ownership based feud with the Tschingahunghu mountain people, and taking into account the big picture and the fact that the bad guy on the throne represents the highland Bobotonama hunter-gatherer minority, there's a danger of an escalating cultural conflict, unless we remember that no fighting should take place on Tuesdays after 4 pm, since they observe their kiwi fruit feast in honour of their ancestors, and don't like to be disturbed with loud noises while they ingest the holy cactus", and do your darnest to make it look like you assume it's common knowledge. We all know such a fellow, don't we?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:31 am 

That clarifies a great deal; you're trying to raise awareness here.

The way you do it wrong, and FFA is more or less the wrong place anyways. FFA is for more casual-oriented encounters. IF you do feel the need to advertise your agenda, you could at least phrase your posts sensibly.

"Hey, I found an article about this dying culture here, blah blah".
Not some odd quote from an article (to which you provide no link), and a seemingly pointless comment of your own to go with it. Not everyone automatically gives a fuck and looks it all up. Your posting model might be borderline sensible if this was a thread about tribes and minor cultures struggling with modern conventions, but since stuff ranging from metal discussion to personal affairs to an average internet joke gets posted here, how can you assume anyone knows what the fuck you're talking about, and knowing most don't, can you really expect anyone to care?

If that last line is an attempt to make a martyr of yourself, fuck off. Your agenda is alright and not irrelevant I suppose, but to call your posts that would be an understatement.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:44 am 

Yeah...mindshadow, it's pointless to post the sort of stuff you do without any context to accompany it. You have to remember that people outside of your own brain probably haven't been reading over your shoulder during the last two hours of your internet searches and haven't been privy to your mental monologue. At least make the subject accessible, else your posts will remain so much ignored poetry on the proverbial urinal wall.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:14 pm 

Did you know that "nonsense" is, approximately, spelled "mindshaadyw" in no less than fourteen endemic languages on Papua-New Guinea? The world is filled with marvelous facts!

mindshadow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:17 pm 

Napero wrote:
was that really so difficult?

While I seem to be able to understand the relevance of your posts in almost 50% of the cases without googling (if I'm exceptionally lucky on a given month), the younger ones on the board are probably not as loaded with completely useless trivia as I am. If you attach ...

very good :lol:

I know what your saying, but it's not how I mean to sound. The world seems to be changing too fast, accelerating change, and I wonder where its all going to end and I wonder who drives it.
I know you must recieve many a pm but pretentious or otherwise is not how I want to sound.

I post a few words because its embaressing and to write and "blah blah" is not what the FFA is about, the worst thing rather than sound pretentious is realising there's absolutley fuck all I can do about anything, from inclusion in the eu super state to some poor Asian tribe having "sympathisers" come and dictate (and worse) to them.

Ilwhyan wrote:
That clarifies a great deal; you're trying to raise awareness here.
The way you do it wrong, and FFA is more or less the wrong place anyways. FFA is for more casual-oriented encounters. IF you do feel the need to advertise your agenda, you could at least phrase your posts sensibly.
can you really expect anyone to care?

If that last line is an attempt to make a martyr of yourself, fuck off. Your agenda is alright and not irrelevant I suppose, but to call your posts that would be an understatement.

Can I expect anyone to care? Not really, what can any of us do? Everyone's struggling with their own concerns.

If you think that then it's my fault with the possible (unmeaningly) sensationalism of some of my posts
I don't gain anything by it and it's not my intent, just simply wonder what's going on, do others notice or are many here 15 ish and its normal to them?

Last edited by mindshadow on Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:20 pm 

You know....Sunlight has been doing the same sort of thing for awhile now :p

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:24 pm 

mindshadow wrote:
If you think that then it's my fault with the possible (unmeaningly) sensationalism of some of my posts
I don't gain anything by it and it's not my intent, just simply wonder what's going on.

No, the underlying substance of your posts is not the greatest problem. Your assumption that everyone, or even someone, knows about these cultures of a hundred people - or disregard of the fact that nobody does - is what makes your posts rather pointless. I think we can all get used to that one guy always posting about those things and nothing else, but only provided that we know what the fuck he's saying, if you catch my drift.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:48 pm 

mindshadow wrote:
The world seems to be changing too fast, accelerating change, and I wonder where its all going to end and I wonder who drives it.

That is not a good excuse to be deliberately vague in anything. if you don't want to go through the effort of explaining your posts, don't post. Go hug trees instead.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:19 pm 

The problem with Trayvon's death is just how unbelievable it is that law enforcement didn't investigate Zimmerman's actions. There were no witnesses so all they had was Zimmerman's word and for someone to claim they shot someone in self-defense there needs to be an investigation. It should not have taken such a backlash from the black community to get the ball rolling on an investigation, and now with it underway the cell phone conversation that the teen had at the time has been released and clearly shows Zimmerman was not telling the truth. It's remarkable that we can put our trust in law enforcement officials when they can behave in this manner and almost get away with it.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 328, 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334 ... 827  Next