Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:16 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Kelvin's unit increment is based on Celsius and Celsius is based on the physical properties of water at 1 bar, so Celsius wins.

K makes everything look cooler. Try picturing 'cvlt'. Ergo, Kelvin wins.

Spoiler: show
:-D

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:49 pm 

That new Opus Eponymous review is terrible. The reviewer repeatedly refers to it as doom metal. :ugh:

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:56 pm 

After posting this in the wrong thread, I'll repost in the right thread. What the fuck is modern metal?

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:57 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
After posting this in the wrong thread, I'll repost in the right thread. What the fuck is modern metal?

Metallica is listed as it, as well. In a similar vein, later Amorphis is listed as "modern rock/melodic metal"... modern rock?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:59 pm 

What would you call later In Flames? It's a shitty name for a shitty genre.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:04 pm 

Adult Contemporary Metal? :|

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:19 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
What would you call later In Flames? It's a shitty name for a shitty genre.

Melodic groove metal. I brought it up a while ago as a descriptor for stuff like recent In Flames/Soilwork.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:23 pm 

the_raytownian wrote:
Adult Contemporary Metal? :|

More like teenager. What's with the capitalising, anyway?

In Flames (later) used to be modern rock/metal. It's not a genre name really, but in the context of Encyclopedia Metallum, it's descriptive enough.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:52 pm 

I think we should just start using "mallcore" as an official genre name. It's perfect for bands like them.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:53 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
I think we should just start using "mallcore" as an official genre name. It's perfect for bands like them.

"Modern metal" was always a euphemism for mallcore :)

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:11 pm 

inhumanist wrote:

I understood mallcore to be a synonym to nu-metal, which is noticeably different from modern In Flames. The latter doesn't even have the angsty modern hardcore aggression of pure unadultered jumpdafuckup.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:14 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
That new Opus Eponymous review is terrible. The reviewer repeatedly refers to it as doom metal. :ugh:

To be fair, their genre was tagged as heavy/doom at one point before being changed to just heavy metal. If someone is unfamiliar with genres, I could see the mix-up...

Of course, I just looked at the actual review and read the declarations of doom knowledge. Huh.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:01 pm 

Bluergh, opening with an entire paragraph dedicated to you repeating how much you know a genre, big boo boo. Album sucks, so I'm glad it's getting a low score, but that's a bad way to do so.

Edit: And he uses the "Metal aims to be more extreme than what came before" argument, gross.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:57 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Goatfangs wrote:
*talk about mantids that is too long to quote in its entirety*

You know something, Goatfangs? I think that you'll end up becoming a supervillain some day.

I'll be the Wicker Mantis, where I cover myself with a horde of mantises and turn into a gigantic mantis and use the power of mantises to take over the world! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:36 pm 

Phat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6mVz9qe_RM.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:38 pm 

I know E-40 has released like 5 million albums these past few years, but goddamn that was one of his best verses I've ever heard. I'm gonna have to get whatever album that appears on. Too much of my rap is old 90s stuff that isn't nearly as energetic as that was.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:51 pm 

It is on Tech 9's Everready. That whole album is great, man. I think you will dig it if you appreciated that crazy verse. Tech kills it, man. Reminds me of Busta Rhymes, ELE-era.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:43 pm 

Never got into Tech9, not really digging hip hop in general, but they came to Reading last year and there was a shitstorm with the DA trying to shut The Silo Nightclub down because of concerns over Tech9, because his name is taken from a name of an assault rifle and also probably because he is black. The local DA (John T. Adams for the record) is probably the whitest and fattest pig in the county.

The venue did get shut down through some very questionable (and probably illegal) means a few months later, but the owners are taking the DA and his cronies to court to seek damages. Or at least I hope they are. The DA deserves to get his ass kicked.

The Tech9 show went smoothly, filled the venue too. That was good. There was a petition to save the venue, and Tech9 signed it.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:58 pm 

Does anybody know if the new Suffocation leaked? I'm itching to get my hands on some grade-a death metal.

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:26 pm 

Damn I love Tech Nine. Everready was an excellent album.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:37 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
You know something, Goatfangs? I think that you'll end up becoming a supervillain some day.

I'll be the Wicker Mantis, where I cover myself with a horde of mantises and turn into a gigantic mantis and use the power of mantises to take over the world! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Lame. Come on Goat, you gotta be more imaginative than that! What are some of the defining characteristics of mantids? Let's see; extremely sharp vision, unbelievable reflexes and striking speed, powerful, barbed arms..... Go beyond 60's styled gimmicks!

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:04 pm 

I think the most defining characteristics of mantises is that they're small and really bloody boring.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:12 pm 

Metal genres are capitalized. It's just the way it is, whatever the mods say!

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:07 am 

Finally listening to that new MBV: The thing about it is this, and this has been true so many times in the past that I am disgusted by myself for not having it come across my mind before hitting play. You know how there's always bands out there that could reform and you'd like to know what they'd do now, and then like a lot of times if there is commercial value for it, they do and then you find out that they weren't together because they really didn't have new ideas or that because they end up sounding kinda dated? Like this MBV isn't bad. Its a better "comeback record" than a million others I can name. At the same time, I'm just sitting back going "oh hey, I guess I didn't really miss anything with them being gone 20 years." Its all been done and done to death by a million bands in the time since.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:11 am 

Man, Jens Carlsson always sounded like Hansi Kursch anyway, but listening to Savage Circus again for the first time in like five or six years just threw me for a loop. When he's in Persuader, he sounds like Hansi, but it's obviously Persuader. In Savage Circus, with music that sounds like it's from a lost Blind Guardian album between Imaginations and Nightfall, he sounds fucking identical. It's ludicrous, I could easily show this to somebody who'd never heard of the band and totally sell that it's a new Blind Guardian track. Even the guitar tone is a dead-on recreation of the mid-late 90s BG sound.

This really reminds me that I should probably re-review Evolution Purgatory, because I didn't even come close to doing that record justice when I wrote that five years ago.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:20 am 

Oh shit. That's eerie. :eek:

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:32 am 

I don't like Savage Circus precisely because of that. Identical, shameless clone bands are a big "fuck off" for me.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:34 am 

Savage Circus is crap. Their last album was not only derivative of Blind Guardian but had like, one good song amidst a lot, a lot, a LOT of really poor power metal.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:42 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
I don't like Savage Circus precisely because of that. Identical, shameless clone bands are a big "fuck off" for me.

Well when it was formed by the original drummer of Blind Guardian because he didn't like the new sound the band was going for and he wanted to go back to the sound he loved in the earlier days, you figure it'd be a little bit different.

And yeah I've definitely been told to look out for the second album, as apart from the title track it's pretty shit.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:51 am 

Hi world.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:53 am 

There's 8766 users with "666" in their nicknames on MA :ugh:

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:54 am 

And I thought my name was generic. :p

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:12 am 

There sure are a lot of people with aggressively bad taste and a severe lack of brain matter on Rate Your Music.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:14 am 

Haha that was exact. I liked it for what it was, sure it had zero originality, but it was thirty times better than anything the real thing has done in the last 15 years, and besides they have a member who specifically wanted to sound like md era Blind Guardian so I don't feel too inclined to rip on them for it.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:25 am 

I know I probably shouldn't be talking because I have a number in my username (something I kind of regret) but the whole "666, fuck yeah" thing was old ten years ago.

Just listened to a few tracks of Cult of Luna's latest. So far it seems like it will be better than The Eternal Kingdom.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:31 am 

Didn't John_Sunlight dump each of his old accounts once they hit 666 posts? :lol:
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:34 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
There sure are a lot of people with aggressively bad taste and a severe lack of brain matter on Rate Your Music.

Same with any other music site. Rateyourmusic is awesome, my favorite music site by far nowadays.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:44 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
I know I probably shouldn't be talking because I have a number in my username (something I kind of regret) but the whole "666, fuck yeah" thing was old ten years ago.

Just listened to a few tracks of Cult of Luna's latest. So far it seems like it will be better than The Eternal Kingdom.

The Eternal Kingdom was inconsistent, but it had those incredible crushing riffs like in Owlwood, and the ludicrously epic stuff like Ghost Trail and Following Betulas. From what I've read about Vertikal, I'm in no hurry to check it out. Somewhere Along was always my favourite, followed by debut and The Eternal Kingdom.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:33 am 

What do people on here think of Grooveshark?
I'm a bit too cheap to pay for Spotify, I can't stand those random ads after songs and from what I've seen, Grooveshark has a heap more of metal in it but it misses random bands like Strapping Young Lad, most likely because of licencing issues.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:40 am 

Against Such Things wrote:
Terri23 wrote:

Metallica is listed as it, as well. In a similar vein, later Amorphis is listed as "modern rock/melodic metal"... modern rock?

The modern rock labelling in Amorphis' page is a nightmare. Their albums with Joutsen sound absolutely nothing like Creed, Nickelback or Foo Fighters. I think classifying their later sound as 'progressive/symphonic metal' or 'progressive/melodic metal' would be appropriate. I don't care much for Metallica or In Flames though. I'd personally label post 'Black album' and pre-'Death Magnetic' Metallica as Nu metal/Hard rock.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 787, 788, 789, 790, 791, 792, 793 ... 827  Next