Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:31 pm 

When I had chickenpox, that was GREAT... I got to miss the first week of school!

FUCK YEAH! Didn't feel that shitty either.

Even the worst bands that can possibly take the stage (and I've seen some really bad ones, as in people who could NOT play their instruments AT ALL) wouldn't cause me to have the worst day of my life. For the record, I would JIZZ at the chance to see Pallbearer, probably travel out of state to see them even.

The worst day of my life was when my dad died. That same year, I met a guy who survived the holocaust but lost 19 of his family members. I'm willing to bet there are people that probably had even shittier days than that.

So if you have a shitty day, just remember that someone else somewhere else on Earth is having a shittier day than you.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:49 pm 

I think KC meant that he was living his worst day of his life (for unrelated reasons) during the concert and not because of it.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:56 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I think KC meant that he was living his worst day of his life (for unrelated reasons) during the concert and not because of it.

This was my interpretation as well.

In other news, tonight I may go to what will be my first real house party. Let's see if I can break free from mybboring, insular shell.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:10 pm 

look metal archivres im gonna make ammends right now ok look you guys are so fucking cool and tought me a lot about the world ok and the deal is look even though you guys hate me i will always love you ok that's just the straight up truth

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:20 pm 

On the subject of Pallbearer, I don't get why so many people hate them so much. I think the demo was a bit overrated, but the album seems pretty solid. I understand a lot of people don't like the long drawn-out passages, but they don't really rub me the wrong way. On the other hand, i certainly don't think they're "as good as it gets" or whatever.

In some unrelated news that probably nobody cares about, I just got elected recruitment chairman in my fraternity. And yes, I know that being in a frat makes me just about the least metal person on the planet.

Last edited by Thumbman on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:45 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
On the subject of Pallbearer, I don't get why so many people hate them so much. I think the demo was a bit overrated, but the album seems pretty solid. I understand a lot of people don't like the long drawn-out passages, but they don't really rub me the wrong way. On the other hand, i certainly don't think they're "as good as it gets" or whatever.

The vocals are the real dealbreaker for me with these guys, and yeah, they can be rather mundane at times.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:47 pm 

I don't hate them, I simply think they're average borderline mediocre. The demo is way better than the album by the way.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:01 pm 

Maybe I'm just not listening to the right bands or something but I just don't get what the big deal with doom metal is. I find it kind of boring and lackluster and it would seem that I am in the minority around here, so am I just not listening to the right bands or what?

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:03 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
Maybe I'm just not listening to the right bands or something but I just don't get what the big deal with doom metal is. I find it kind of boring and lackluster and it would seem that I am in the minority around here, so am I just not listening to the right bands or what?

Doom is probably just not your thing...?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:27 pm 

Thashierthanthou wrote:
look metal archivres im gonna make ammends right now ok look you guys are so fucking cool and tought me a lot about the world ok and the deal is look even though you guys hate me i will always love you ok that's just the straight up truth

Poor little Thash fellow :( Don't say dumb shit and nobody will make fun of you!

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:32 pm 

Hm, so he didn't learn from my lecture to metaldiscussor666? Shame, shame.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:43 pm 

Thash is probably one of the coolest and laid-back dudes I've seen on this forum. Although that might not mean much to all of you, coming from me :P I get exactly what he's saying though. This place is invaluable to me, although my tastes/opinions may not obviously show it.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:23 pm 

IX Leviathan wrote:
The vocals are the real dealbreaker for me with these guys, and yeah, they can be rather mundane at times.

Just re-listened to them and I don't like it nearly as much as I did when it came out. The vocals kind of remind me of that whiny Warning/40 Watt Sun guy.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:36 pm 

The music sounds remarkably close to those bands as well. Original it certainly isn't.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:01 am 

Napero wrote:
Also, never had chickenpox?

Truth right there. I had it for like 5 days (when I was 17; i.e. I could have died from it if I was a year or two older maybe) and they were among the worst of my life...but I can't completely write em off as it was in those 5 days that I started reviewing movies!

Man, it's my birthday tomorrow. Celebrating with some Irish liquor and Thank You For Smoking right now, and a party tomorrow. And I'm treating myself to some new albums finally.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:08 am 

I've been vaccinated for Chickenpox; I've never suffered from its wrath.

I'll probably get some horrible disease down the road like Ebola or something. Shit happens.

Obligatory Last FM Link

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:28 am 

Doom is sexy pants, everyone should love it.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:11 am 

Speaking of which, I've been listening to lots of Mournful Congregation recently. Definitely been developing a greater appreciation for them. They've actually been inspiring me quite a bit to record some doom, albeit in a very specific mood and despite the fact that I barely know how to play guitar. Urrg, this is just what I need, another time-consuming artistic hobby with no prospect of financial gain ;)

Also, I happened across Desire(Por) at random the other day, and their Infinity...A Timeless Journey through an Emotional Dream is a pretty interesting slab of active doom with some colorful 'neo-classical' elements and Gorement-style vocals. Thought those who hadn't heard tell of this might enjoy a peek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvQgMDRhdzk

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:03 am 

Apparently Kerry King doesn't know what the hell Hanneman is doing.
http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode= ... mID=185694
I'm guessing he's gonna be kicked out.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:22 am 

Since a few people are making up this Pilgrim v Pallbearer thing, I've to say that, if you're a hardcore fan of generic trad doom then pick Pilgrim. And if you're looking for the sound which is mostly inclined towards trad doom but also melds sludge, psychedelia and drone in a quite balanced way then pick Pallbearer. As simple as that. I like both bands but I personally prefer Pallbearer over Pilgrim because they've got much to offer.

Metantoine wrote:
I don't hate them, I simply think they're average borderline mediocre. The demo is way better than the album by the way.

That's a bit retarded and impractical tbqh. What you get in demo are two preview samples of the full-length and an average Billie Holiday cover.

dystopia4 wrote:
Just re-listened to them and I don't like it nearly as much as I did when it came out. The vocals kind of remind me of that whiny Warning/40 Watt Sun guy.

Brett Campbell doesn't sound like Patrick Walker at all. His wails are much like early Ozzy but with reduced nasality and partly his own.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:16 am 

Pallbearer's cover of Gloomy Sunday is the only worthwhile thing they've done. And, as others have said, they're really not as unique as you seem to believe.

doomster999

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:36 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
And, as others have said, they're really not as unique as you seem to believe.

So, what am I supposed to do? Clap? Dance in joy? :scratch:
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:32 am 

Spoiler: show

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:17 am 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:

Am I the only one who is kinda weirded out every time Kerry King talks about his band members like they're just coworkers?
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Last edited by inhumanist on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
doomster999

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:21 am 

shouvince wrote:

lol :-D

Last.fm

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:06 am 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:

Urgh, Jeff writes all of Slayer's best stuff anyway.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

doomster999

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:00 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:

All Kerry King does is just crappy mindless shredding anyway. Hanneman is a far better player and a better person, moreover he has written 'Angel of Death'. Enough said.

Last.fm

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:57 pm 

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:34 pm 

Haha that's awesome, Tony. Necro, you should post yours.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:21 pm 

I cleaned my keyboard intensively for the first time since I bought it in 2008. Holy hell was it gross. Popped out all the keys and it looks like someone dropped soy sauce and crumbs from 200 different snacks in it. Not to mention the hairs. :puke:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:25 pm 

Quote:
And, as others have said, they're really not as unique as you seem to believe.

lololol uniqueness in metal in 2013. That's a good one.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:45 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
MrMcThrasher II wrote:

All Kerry King does is just crappy mindless shredding anyway. Hanneman is a far better player and a better person, moreover he has written 'Angel of Death'. Enough said.

Kerry King is a way better guitar player than Hanneman. Jeff is all arm. In fact, I have no clue how he can even play the stuff he does with such terrible technique. Kerry is absolutely a tighter player. Neither are great for solos, but for rhythm, Kerry wins out easily.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:57 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
I cleaned my keyboard intensively for the first time since I bought it in 2008. Holy hell was it gross. Popped out all the keys and it looks like someone dropped soy sauce and crumbs from 200 different snacks in it. Not to mention the hairs. :puke:

No pictures? Could be used as ammunition to troll the trolls.

I've just finished setting up my old laptop (got it in 2008). Reformatted. Stuff installed and now ready for use.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:00 pm 

I own 2 laptops but both their batteries are dead and I need them to use them plugged all the time, I need to fix that :(

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:04 pm 

White person problem par excellence.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:20 pm 

IT'S IMPORTANT!

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:29 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I own 2 laptops but both their batteries are dead and I need them to use them plugged all the time, I need to fix that :(

Why don't you just get a new battery for one. Get rid of the second laptop (but keep the hard disc) and use its HDD as an external drive to access your data or put new data there for your first laptop?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:35 pm 

Yeah, I know what to do, I'm just too broke to get them fixed. I'll probably fix both when I'll have the means and install windows on my old Toshiba. I already have an external HD but more space would definitely be cool.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:49 pm 

hey dudes, new Sunderland track! crazy different from the standard drone I've been doing. think of "atmospheric noise" if you care to label it. But, while you're there, check out my ambient stuff!

http://mapsofcrayon.bandcamp.com/track/pogrom

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:55 pm 

It has been ages since I listened to anything Anaal Nathrakh. Boy is their first album raw. And the vocals in "When Humanity is Cancer" .........sweet Jesus.

Oh hai everybody.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 784, 785, 786, 787, 788, 789, 790 ... 827  Next