Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:36 pm 

I can't access JSTOR for some reason, a site where I can usually find a shitton of academic articles relevant to my course. Need to read one on it for the assignment I'm trying to finish and can't find it anywhere else. Pissing me off a fair bit.

On the plus side I'm listening to my copy of the new Ashes you leave album for the first time and it's great.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:53 pm 

You're really one of the people who only complains about everything. Pissing me off a fair bit.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

in_human_form
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:34 pm 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
I can't access JSTOR for some reason, a site where I can usually find a shitton of academic articles relevant to my course. Need to read one on it for the assignment I'm trying to finish and can't find it anywhere else. Pissing me off a fair bit.

On the plus side I'm listening to my copy of the new Ashes you leave album for the first time and it's great.

I don't know if it's up for you yet but I can access it fine. Along with America, History, and Life, JSTOR is a great site for academic articles.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:46 pm 

in_human_form wrote:

I don't know if it's up for you yet but I can access it fine. Along with America, History, and Life, JSTOR is a great site for academic articles.

Not been working since last night every time I've tried to log in through my university. Strange, because in the previous 2 and a half years I've been at uni I've not had a problem with it. Was talking to someone else who uses it and she couldn't figure out why I couldn't access it either. Managed to find it somewhere else now, so hopefully the article is worth reading for my essay! It was recommended by my lecturer with regards to what I had already planned out, so fingers crossed! Want to finish it completely by tomorrow as I start full time work again on Monday.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:53 pm 

Tyranny's great. Wormphlegm + keyboards = Cthulhu. :)

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:09 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
More discoveries today (some courtesy of CrushedRevelation) include Manipulator, Profetus, Swallowed, Krypts, and ZOM. It has been a very good day in metal. Any more of this rumbling evil and I may end up sterile or something.

Nice. I still need to get my hands on some Wormphlegm. I'm constantly looking for a copy of Tomb Of The Ancient King, the samples I have tasted on YT are deliriously wicked.

My collection

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:17 pm 

Wormphlegm's demo is 10 times better than their full length unfortunately. But what a demo it is.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:31 pm 

Is it a continuation of their gothic stuff, or have they returned to their doom roots

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:01 pm 

In light of the recent Dave Mustaine tarantula, I thought that this was really funny.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poecilotheria_metallica
There's already a Metallica tarantula and it looks way cooler.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:08 pm 

Nah, that spider is gay and a sellout.

:-P

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:09 pm 

Thashierthanthou wrote:
In light of the recent Dave Mustaine tarantula, I thought that this was really funny.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poecilotheria_metallica
There's already a Metallica tarantula and it looks way cooler.

It wasn't even directly named after Metallica though, it seems.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:34 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Wormphlegm's demo is 10 times better than their full length unfortunately. But what a demo it is.

:???: ... :nono: Nah, Tomb of the Ancient King is where it's at. Crushed, don't look into his eyes!

Working from home does have its advantages - to wit, being able to binge on metal while making money. On top of all that other stuff I gorged on Sulphur Aeon, Ignivomous, Evilfeast's Wintermoon Enchantment... it's been a good day. My brain is tired.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:39 pm 

Nah man, in an excrutiating way is almost perfect. With no throw away riffs, amazing build up and insane vocals. The album was a let down for me in almost every way and goes in one ear and out the other. I'd take Tyranny over it any day.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:50 pm 

Got a raise at work, and promoted to international ocean imports - which is a rather large step up from Domestico LTLolz. I have finally selected my course of professional action though, and am Actively Seizing The Opportunity. I am not known to Actively Seize anything, so naturally I'm a bit more 'amped up' than usual. Freight blows big flappys. Word to the Noteful: the Freight, Cartage, Expediting, etc. business is not hard to get into. If you can tolerate stress well and don't mind taking a Lot Of Shit From Truck Drivers, go see a truck company about getting a job as a dispatcher. I bet, if they are looking, you'll at least get an interview. And from there it's up to you.

Just figured I'd mention it in case anyone here is on a jobhunt. I know many are and ever shall be, world without end, Amen.

I've been going through a weird pseudo-intellectual, confusedly spiritual, vaguely existential conflict lately. It's more annoying than anything. I've buried myself in Alan Watts, Carl Jung, and a suspiciously high number of books all published by the same two or three publishers. I really want to get The Mummy (the one with Boris fucking Karloff) on DVD and watch it on a snowy winter morning, but I suppose Other Things Have To Get Done, and there is No More Snow. Blah.

My dog farted on my head twice today.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:56 pm 

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah wrote:

Do you wear your dog around like a hat or what?

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:59 pm 

I was laying there first. He came up there and sat next to my head. I didn't realize his ass was pointed at me until he fired one off. These things happen.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:00 am 

Yeah, but..... Twice?

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:07 am 

First time woke me up. I was too tired to move, and the odor wasn't too offensive. The second one was a Blatant Act of Terrorism, and I had to at least move to the chair to display my patriotism.

This is upsetting to you, isn't it?

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:20 am 

Not upsetting, just very odd. Then again, I lead an extremely boring life, so this kind of trivial yet particular happenings tend to puzzle me a fair bit.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:22 am 

I think these little parts of life are fascinating, and everyone should discuss them more!

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:46 am 

Yo Mizwa, ain't you from Michigan?

Obligatory Last FM Link

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:17 am 

Maybe he is trying to say something

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:24 am 

I had the pissant of a dog we keep here give me a golden shower.... I really thought about beating it to death.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:35 am 

So Excision's "metalstep" is really gay. But that's probably old news.

...Still, shit, adding in dubstep sections doesn't make your shitty scooped out chug riffs any more interesting.
Hehe, foreskins.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:02 am 

Anything involving dubstep instantly sucks. Anything trying to mix dubstep and "heavy" music sucks even more, especially when you are forced to see a musical failure of that sort live because the promoters decided to put them on the same show as you (and yes, that really happened to me back in April).

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:15 am 

Has anyone else checked out what Senmuth has been up to lately? I checked out his site and was surprised to see that he released 13 compilations on more or less the same day. Even I'm not sure if I should be surprised or unconcerned.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:45 am 

Veracs wrote:

Is it a continuation of their gothic stuff, or have they returned to their doom roots

It's a continuation of their gothic material, and more like songs of the lost than inheritance of sin and shame, but thats fine for me, it's still a good album. Obviously I'll need more than one play through to really judge it though, but it sounds really good. I wouldn't say that their new singer is an improvement on the previous though really.

Turns out that article was all I needed to get on and write the rest of my assignment. Bit of formatting today and I'll get it out of the way before starting work full time again tomorrow!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:35 am 

Marag wrote:

Maybe he is trying to say something

Only humans talk out of their asses.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:36 am 

Got a raise at work, and promoted to international ocean imports

I'd like to order an ocean. It would be really nice if you could install it so that the waves gently lap on the driveway, at roughly +34 m elevation, and if it could fill the unused farming field on the next property, it would be nice, because they are going to build on it, and they can't if there's an ocean. Also, plenty of molluscs, cephalopods, bony fish and maybe corals, but no cetaceans or sharks, and definitely no freezing in the winter. And no shipping lanes within 8 km, but a few lagoons would fit in just nicely right where the old golf course is now.

I await for your bid on this, I'm excited as hell here!

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:14 am 

@ Gunther:

Yes sir. I'm a Downriver Rat.

@ Napero:

I'll have to take it up with the Vatican. All of my orders come from them.

What I actually do is much less interesting. I get stuff picked up in other countries, loaded into an ocean container and on to a vessel, tracking as it sails the seas of cheese, and makes sure it gets delivered to the proper place here in the US.

I get a lot of calls from wonderfully enthusiastic plant managers telling me things like "SPEED THE FUCKING BOAT UP."

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:29 am 

Just realized Christmas is only 9 days away. Hell yeah online shopping; being sick and having car troubles are not conducive to going out and searching for things people will like. At least I can shop online while I'm at work, so I can make money while I spend money, thus maximizing my "I can't afford this" ratio with my "I need more overtime" index. There's a lot of calculunometry involved in this particular equation.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:38 am 

The world is ending in six days anyway. Don't worry about buying gifts. :-P

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:46 am 

I'm actually quite curious if there are going to be any riots on december 21st.

Aquarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:51 am 

Maybe there will be three successive days of darkness as some prophecies say, but probably nothing will happen at that day. At least nothing apparent.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:53 am 

Ofcourse, if anything is going to happen, it will be because of some crazy person shooting himself and or others. And even IF a polar shift happens, it will not fuck up the world by any means.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:36 am 

Yeah, if anything actually happens on the 21st it will be because people flip shit. Not that I think enough people will just go crazy to cause some sort of mass hysteria, but I wouldn't suprised to hear of some isolated incidents in the news. I mean, our end was already predicted twice last year...and as far as I know we're still alive.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:12 am 

Yeah, remember THE RAPTURE is coming. Whatever happened that guy, anyway? Made millions off of people and then disappeared into the shadows when rapture never came.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:13 am 

More than anything else it will be a glorious opportunity to party. It's a fucking friday too.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:27 am 

Tis indeed a Friday. We are doing a potluck at work that day. I suggested we have an Apoc-calypso theme, but it was shot down immediately. I did sign up to bring in cupcakes, though. They will indeed be Rapture themed. If for nothing more than a good chortle.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:08 pm 

They will indeed be Rapture themed. If for nothing more than a good chortle.

Cyanide flavor perhaps?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 718, 719, 720, 721, 722, 723, 724 ... 827  Next