Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:39 pm 

All lies. John_Sunlight couldn't loom over a field mouse.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:45 pm 

Det_Morkettall wrote:
I don't understand why people don't just revolt against the government; they're slowly taking away your ability to thrive and do what you wish under the constraints of law by catering to big business. It's pretty evil how they're crushing small trade like distros, pressing plants, printing centers, etc.

Dude it totally makes me want to kill people and beat up children when I think of how Big Government is conspiring against Small Distros but it's a fact of life that we, as peeps, are just too powerless to do anything about.

At least the next time you bump into a random Congolese refugee you can look forward to the fact that once you both start bitching about your respective governments you'll share a common bond that will most likely last a lifetime. A friend made is a friend kept after all.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:46 pm 

Ouch, sick burn <3

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:04 am 

Talking about revolting against the government? That is so 1776.

Obligatory Last FM Link

MikaelBayusik
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:21 am 

@Veracs - you may have had 2 good dealings with Throne_of_Ahaz as a SELLER, but try dealing with him as a BUYER! He scammed me! I aswered you here because Metantoine locked the topic from further discussion.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:22 am 

MikaelBayusik wrote:
@Veracs - you may have had 2 good dealings with Throne_of_Ahaz as a SELLER, but try dealing with him as a BUYER! He scammed me! I aswered you here because Metantoine locked the topic from further discussion.

Remember you can send a private message for stuff like this, if you want.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:25 am 

Yeah, Yeah, I'm a meanie. I locked the thread because you made physical threats to a person over $200. Send Veracs a PM if you care, don't spread this subject everywhere.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:35 am 

waiguoren wrote:
Det_Morkettall wrote:
I don't understand why people don't just revolt against the government; they're slowly taking away your ability to thrive and do what you wish under the constraints of law by catering to big business. It's pretty evil how they're crushing small trade like distros, pressing plants, printing centers, etc.

Dude it totally makes me want to kill people and beat up children when I think of how Big Government is conspiring against Small Distros but it's a fact of life that we, as peeps, are just too powerless to do anything about.

At least the next time you bump into a random Congolese refugee you can look forward to the fact that once you both start bitching about your respective governments you'll share a common bond that will most likely last a lifetime. A friend made is a friend kept after all.

Brilliant reply! Man, that damn near made my day. :bow:

Late to the subject of gigs, but I'll be seeing Marduk/Portal/Ignivomous/Order of Orias on Friday. :hyper: That's pretty much the only gig locked in for me so far, though; I went to a hell of a lot last year, and am thinking of cutting back. I got into the habit of seeing bands that I don't actually really like (or about which I feel indifferent, at any rate) purely because they're immensely respected within their sub-genre or haven't toured here before... it just detracts from gigs that I do actually attend because I love the band playing.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:38 am 

Scorntyrant will be happy, he likes Warhammer too, it's a good conversation starter :) I just got a die hard LP of the latest Ignivomous album with an awesome backpatch for my 2nd vest.

Sorry for the many comments, I'm procrastinating hard!

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:46 am 

Haha, as am I, actually.

'Contragenesis' is just awesome. I'm really glad they're playing this gig - they were kinda a surprise addition; I'm hoping to finally get a shirt. And see Portal - should be an interesting experience.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:48 am 

That's why I said that, after all, I made this board game thread :)

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:48 am 

The_Orphanizer wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA

I saw Robin Shou at McDonald's today. I wanted to point at him and yell, "YOUR SOUL IS MIIIINE!" from across the dining room, but I chickened out 'cause I didn't want to get bicycle kicked into the deep fryer.

This post is full of so much fucking win, and I never describe things as such. Shame on you all for not praising it!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:59 am 

Damnit, I've had this rash on my face for the last three days that simply doesn't want to go and I look like motherfucking Freddy Krueger right now. I don't even want to leave the house due to how bloody bad it looks. Fuck.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:56 am 

BastardHead, it was so fucking sweet. It was like suddenly forgetting the past 17 years or so of my life and being ship backed to my childhood. I had to do a double-take, but I used to live off of a steady diet of MK, MK:A, and Beverly Hills Ninja, so I was pretty sure it was him. I got home and did some e-sleuthing based on the city I was in; either it was him, or someone else with the exact same age, name, and physical appearance is in the same area.

I didn't want to go up and bug him because I don't know how he'd feel about it, but now I wish I had. :(

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:36 am 

Well, my friend's little three year-old nephew likes Decapitated. I pulled out my phone and played the beginning of "The Fury" for him and he started beating on a plastic box. I asked him if he liked the music and he just grinned and shook his head "yes". Cute.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:49 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Damnit, I've had this rash on my face for the last three days that simply doesn't want to go and I look like motherfucking Freddy Krueger right now. I don't even want to leave the house due to how bloody bad it looks. Fuck.

Is it just on one side of your face? I guess it could be the laundry detergent you washed your pillow case with.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:52 am 

Calusari wrote:
Haha, as am I, actually.

'Contragenesis' is just awesome. I'm really glad they're playing this gig - they were kinda a surprise addition; I'm hoping to finally get a shirt. And see Portal - should be an interesting experience.

Awwww, shucks. Say hello after we play - a bunch of from Ignivomous and OOA are or were big 40k fans as well haha.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:07 am 

Haha, thanks; will do. :beer:

Xlxlx wrote:

Dude, just go to a doctor; it's not worth dragging it out.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:24 am 

Abyssal has pretty much rendered Portal obsolete in my eyes. I wonder if Portal will be able to regain at least some ground with their new one.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:34 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Abyssal has pretty much rendered Portal obsolete in my eyes. I wonder if Portal will be able to regain at least some ground with their new one.

I'm listening to Abyssal based on your post and I'm not impressed so far. Decent, sure, but not nearly weird enough to compete with Portal.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:46 am 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

I'm listening to Abyssal based on your post and I'm not impressed so far. Decent, sure, but not nearly weird enough to compete with Portal.

Different strokes for ...

They're two different entities I'd say. But yeah, IMO Portal are slightly weirder, if that's what you want to call it.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:50 am 

MalignantThrone wrote:

:nono:

Granted, I don't think they replace Portal - they differ too much for that - but... Man, Abyssal just blow me away every single time I listen to them. I think I know what to expect, but the music gets better every damn time. Honestly, I enjoy them more than Portal - the latter's dissonant weirdness is more of an intellectual pleasure for me, whereas Abyssal work on every level: there's sophisticated, dark strangeness, but it comes in such a dynamic, visceral, immediate form.

Each to their own, of course. For me, Abyssal hit the spot - they satisfy something Portal never quite could, but that's just me.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:53 am 

Fuck Portal, hail Prajna!

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:32 am 

Hey, have you guys heard of this new band called Compressorhead? They really embody industrial metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RBSkq-_St8

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:00 am 

The_Orphanizer wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA

I saw Robin Shou at McDonald's today. I wanted to point at him and yell, "YOUR SOUL IS MIIIINE!" from across the dining room, but I chickened out 'cause I didn't want to get bicycle kicked into the deep fryer.

:lol: :thumbsup:

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:14 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
Hey, have you guys heard of this new band called Compressorhead? They really embody industrial metal.

I posted that few pages ago >_> But yes, prepare for...Skynet soon.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:26 am 

henkkjelle wrote:

Someone should write original songs for them and let them tour. Or write a program that generates original songs. Shouldn't be too hard to make algorithms that are better than 85% of metal songwriters nowadays. And for a vocalist they'll just let Cleverbot chat with itself into a text to speech program and distort that.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:56 am 

Someone I know just called Children of Bodom a tech-death band... I think I'm off to have a quick laughy-cry.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:13 am 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
Someone I know just called Children of Bodom a tech-death band... I think I'm off to have a quick laughy-cry.

That's not too far-fetched, considering that they're a death metal band and they're known for technical guitar solos, I can see an inexperienced person making that mistake. Ten years ago it wasn't uncommon to hear them called a black metal band because of the high-pitched vocals (I was also a teenager than, so I wasn't surrounded by metal veterans either). Someone's just putting together some basic cues for genres together wrong, you could always contrast the rhythm section of CoB with Martyr or Confessor.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:18 am 

I dunno - I just found it jarringly odd because he's very much in the genuine tech-death demographic. I guess everyone sees such things and has a fairly violent moment of "What??" before reasoning it through.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:43 am 

The_Orphanizer wrote:

What did he look like? Was he still rocking those long, flowing eighties-style locks of his?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:39 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
I dunno - I just found it jarringly odd because he's very much in the genuine tech-death demographic. I guess everyone sees such things and has a fairly violent moment of "What??" before reasoning it through.

"tech death demographic" loves guitar wankery and cares about little that isn't wankery. There's plenty of wanking in Children of Bodom's music.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:42 pm 

^ Surely you're trolling. Are you? :oh shit:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:43 pm 

Is calling CoB a tech death band really an insult to either CoB or tech death? Not like either one is the picture of artistic integrity...

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:06 pm 

Isn't Origin technical death metal?

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:17 pm 

Quote:

I think so - It's not really my genre to be honest, I'm still at the stage where it all sounds like notes falling down a spiral staircase.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:23 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:

Now THAT is band I can't stand. I even have a hard time understanding where all of the praise comes from.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:37 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
I even have a hard time understanding where all of the praise comes from.

Not everybody can have a good taste in metal, so tell me what that's like?

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:11 pm 

I used to be pretty "meh" about Origin. Then I saw them live.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:13 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
There are also unconfirmed rumblings of a Saint Vitus nature.

Just been confirmed. They're playing the Cathouse in March!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 751, 752, 753, 754, 755, 756, 757 ... 827  Next