Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:12 pm 

Good for you. Asphyx is awesome and should have more fans.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:19 pm 

Yeah, it's just that the other day I caught this guy from my English class who I barely paid attention to before (and we've been classmates for a couple of years, so yeah.....) listening to Sodom. I asked him if he was into metal, and he answered that yes, he had gotten into the style some time ago and that he was already getting into heavier stuff. I offered him my headphones to listen to what I had been playing the whole way there (Asphyx's Deathhammer), and he liked it, but then we had to get into the classroom, so the conversation ended there.....

Now, fast forward to a few minutes ago, and he sends me a message asking for the name of "that awesome album you made me listen to the other day". Gosh, I know it sounds dumb and childish, but it feels cool to see someone evolve in the ways of metal :metal:

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:29 pm 

I've only listened to Last One on Earth by Asphyx and it's pretty rad. Wouldn't call myself a big fan of them, though.

Now I'm just curious, but has anyone here listened to The Avalanche's Since I Left You? I recently just picked it up and I can't stop listening to it. The band took 3500 different vinyl samples and made a whole album out of all of that. It's cool as shit.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:47 am 

Nice work, Xlxlx. 'Deathhammer' is definitely one of my favourite albums of the year, though the first of Asphyx's music that I heard as well; once I get the time, I'll be working my way through that Asphyx 'best of' list that mysognisticfeminist posted in this thread.

Just ordered a Mournful Congregation 'The June Frost' shirt; here's hoping it makes it safely home to me... :hyper:

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:41 am 

I feel so happy because i can listen now to music in my computer since...2 weeks.
Is really a magic experience to listen to music at this hour of the night.

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:56 am 

Erisgaroth wrote:
I feel so happy because i can listen now to music in my computer since...2 weeks.

I wish I could say the same :lol:
I mean, I can listen to music in my computer, just not after 10pm...

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:00 am 

What... why?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:21 am 

No head/earphones I suppose >_>

I usually leave music on my laptop and go off to sleep...of late, it's been the GSBC album.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:19 am 

Calusari wrote:
Just ordered a Mournful Congregation 'The June Frost' shirt; here's hoping it makes it safely home to me... :hyper:

I have one of these. Cool choice.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:39 am 

I didn't find Deathammer all that interesting to be honest, I was more entertained by Death the Brutal way.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:54 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Yeah, it's just that the other day I caught this guy from my English class who I barely paid attention to before (and we've been classmates for a couple of years, so yeah.....) listening to Sodom. I asked him if he was into metal, and he answered that yes, he had gotten into the style some time ago and that he was already getting into heavier stuff. I offered him my headphones to listen to what I had been playing the whole way there (Asphyx's Deathhammer), and he liked it, but then we had to get into the classroom, so the conversation ended there.....

Now, fast forward to a few minutes ago, and he sends me a message asking for the name of "that awesome album you made me listen to the other day". Gosh, I know it sounds dumb and childish, but it feels cool to see someone evolve in the ways of metal :metal:

It really does. I got my friend back when I was in school and sixth form into bands like iron maiden, judas priest and black sabbath after he started listening to disturbed and linkin park. He got into some black metal as well, mainly mayhem and dark fortress IIRC. He went to see dark fortress and satyricon a few years back, was hoping to meet up with him at the weekend to see dark fortress again, but he was busy. He missed out on a really great set.

My brother listened to bands like iron maiden, judas priest etc, as well as classic rock like Queen, and pink floyd who he got me into, for years but never touched any extreme metal at all, he got into Slayer a bit, but only show no mercy. And then at some point last year I think, he just suddenly got into black, death and thrash metal completely out of the blue. Me and my Dad were taking it in turns to put songs on at some point and he just came downstairs and was saying how awesome it was, and asked me to put lots of good extreme metal on his ipod. He really likes Entombed now. I guess if you listen to NWOBHM and live with avid metalheads for years it was always going to rub off on him.

Erisgaroth wrote:

Here at uni our neighbours don't seem to give a shit about sound (seriously, we had a fire alarm going off for 45 minutes and all 6 of us were outside, and they didn't once come to see what was up or anything) so playing music any time of the day is an option, just depends on my housemates for the volume. Normally late at night I don't want to listen to it too loudly anyway, and the guy in the room next door will sleep through WWIII, so can play stuff at a decent level at 3am with no complaints. Usually ambient/drone stuff.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:15 am 

My neighbors are the opposite. I can't play my guitar without headphones plugged into the amplifier. :grumble:

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:54 am 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
Here at uni our neighbours don't seem to give a shit about sound (seriously, we had a fire alarm going off for 45 minutes and all 6 of us were outside, and they didn't once come to see what was up or anything) so playing music any time of the day is an option, just depends on my housemates for the volume. Normally late at night I don't want to listen to it too loudly anyway, and the guy in the room next door will sleep through WWIII, so can play stuff at a decent level at 3am with no complaints. Usually ambient/drone stuff.

Maybe they just choose not to say anything. My neighbors play their horrid hip-hop so loud that my windows vibrate, but I haven't the courage to confront them about it so I just silently listen to Bolt Thrower and have have revenge fantasies instead. :-D

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:00 am 

VoidApostle wrote:

Maybe they just choose not to say anything. My neighbors play their horrid hip-hop so loud that my windows vibrate, but I haven't the courage to confront them about it so I just silently listen to Bolt Thrower and have have revenge fantasies instead. :-D

It's rare that I play music LOUD to be fair, but maybe they do just not say anything. My housemates tell me if I do, and vice versa. At nighttime it's usually at the volume I could drift to sleep at if I wanted to, so not loud, but couldn't do that at home. At home my neighbour came round and shouted at me at one in the afternoon for listening to music loudly. As for guitar I only really play either acoustically or with headphones on, so don't really bother anyone with that.

First thing my housmate did today when leaving his room was go for a cigarette and then cough away for minutes. Always makes me feel superior when I hear smokers coughing away.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:08 am 

I'm never sure whether people who unreasonably complain about quiet amounts of noise, or people who make a lot of noise, are more annoying. I was living above the latter and below the former last year, which meant being kept awake at night to the sound of drinking games, while at the same time literally having security called around once because we were watching a DVD.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:20 am 

Fuck neighbors. I'll do my best to find a house that's fairly isolated from other people when I have the chance. Really, I dislike the mere concept of neighbors, although then again, we had quite a few shitty ones in the past, so I might be biased. I remember that, when I was like seven years old or so, we had this crazy policeman guy who lived just next door, and you could hear through the freakin' walls how he slapped his wife and kid. My parents never denounced him though, mostly out of fear. Dude was nuts.

EDIT: Yesterday I bought Mayhem's Ordo ad Chao. Don't know why, as I don't even like Mayhem. I just felt compelled to buy the album..... What should I be expecting, guys?

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:49 am 

Quote:
EDIT: Yesterday I bought Mayhem's Ordo ad Chao. Don't know why, as I don't even like Mayhem. I just felt compelled to buy the album..... What should I be expecting, guys?

It sounds like a vaguely well thought out collection of rumbles.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:02 am 

Xlxlx wrote:

Some hints of Ordo, but mostly just Chao.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:03 am 

So, it's a messy album, eh?

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:03 am 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
Quote:

It sounds like a vaguely well thought out collection of rumbles.

please submit that as a review.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:34 am 

That really is a perfect description of it :lol:

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:38 am 

It's a special album. Not riff-based, but damn awesome.
It's certainly something.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:49 am 

I would probably call it my favourite mayhem release, my huge backpatch on my Kutte is a Ordo ad chao one. I just have really gone off of Mayhem after seeing them live in 2010 when they were pretty abysmal.

OceanOfViolence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:56 am 

Holy shit, Liege Lord reunited?!?!?! Looks like it's only for Keep it True next year, but I'm really hoping they play some shows in the U.S.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:02 pm 

I would probably call it my favourite mayhem release, my huge backpatch on my Kutte is a Ordo ad chao one. I just have really gone off of Mayhem after seeing them live in 2010 when they were pretty abysmal.

That's your favourite? I'm fond of stuff after DMDS. Deathcrush though; hooooooly fuck that album is insane.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:10 pm 

There isn't anything they've done I dislike really. DMDS is the only one I have on CD so probably at least on a par, but then my dad has Ordo ad chao on CD, so never felt the need to buy it when I still lived at home, and haven't gotten around to getting it since.

Whore from Chimera is fucking awesome too.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:17 pm 

While the Chimera title track is probably my favourite post-Euronymous Mayhem song, I have to say I really enjoy Grand Declaration of War... sometimes. It's not something I listen to much, and it could be a lot better than it is, but the clean vocals and general tinfoil-and-Teflon sound of the album is refreshing - it's as if NASA spent a few months preparing black-metal for space, which obviously involved making it shiny and white.

I often feel Mayhem would probably feel, and indeed be perceived, as a lot more solid if they'd stopped after DMDS, but at the same time I like most of what they've done.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:02 pm 

Going through Ordo ad Chaos' fifth track right now, and you know what? I actually find this thing kind of catchy, if only in a massively fucked up way. Attila's vocals make my hair bristle though. Dude's creepy.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:10 pm 

To be completely honest Mayhem should have broken up after Dead's suicide. Attilla should have continued with Tormentor and allowed Mayhem to disolve into obscurity.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:26 pm 

Eh, all of the drama sorrounding the band is of little concern to me. Besides, I don't get what's so sacred about Dead. Yeah, sucks that he killed himself, but the guy was also a notably disturbed individual, not to mention that there was nothing special about his vocals. I much prefer Attila's multi-faceted, unorthodox delivery to Dead's monotone rasps (and I've just started listening to Mayhem). Mmmmm, wonder if I should give DMDS another shot.....

Also, the laughter in Key to the Storms = o_O

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:59 pm 

Yeah, Attila's delivery on Ordo is genuinely creepy. That album is a maelstrom of wtf-ery.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:59 pm 

I'm looking forward to the new Mayhem album. If there is one thing we can induce from their other records, it's that it's gonna be uncompromising and will not give half a shit about trends - and that alone will make it interesting if nothing else will. Chimera is great, and I respect GDOW and Ordo Ad Chao. They are not visionary like DMDS and Deathcrush, but they keep the mind awake.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:09 pm 

Dead was lame. Dude's vocals sucked. As for Ordo Ad Chao, I enjoy that album but the extremely weird and muffled production job and no fucks given songwriting on certain songs make it something I put on very rarely.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:12 pm 

One can argue endlessly about Dead's vocals, but his lyrics were pretty cool.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:53 pm 

It's not his vocals that I could care about. But the guitar tone. They were a complete different band prior to DMDS.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:03 pm 

iAm wrote:
To be completely honest Mayhem should have broken up after Dead's suicide. Attilla should have continued with Tormentor and allowed Mayhem to disolve into obscurity.

Are you out of your mind? Their only two worthwhile releases besides Deathcrush were released in the mid 90s.

Actually, I haven't heard Out from the Dark, so I can't say if it's any good.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:23 pm 

Out From The Dark rules. Get on that yo.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:35 pm 

Yeah Out from the Dark is probably the best recording with Dead on it. I say this as a Mayhem fanboy.

Also Eyehategod tonight woooooooooo!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:47 pm 

Today, I spread my buttcheeks at a 150 year old Eastern European man.

No, I will not provide context for that statement.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:32 pm 

I just pulled an all nighter, have work in two and a half hours and am listening to Insect Warfare at 7:30 in the morning because fuck the world, I need some grindcore.

EDIT: Should probably specify that was a "can't sleep" all-nighter not a "went out and get on the piss" one. But yeah, Insect Warfare - awesome band. Shame only one full-length came out.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 689, 690, 691, 692, 693, 694, 695 ... 827  Next