Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:01 am 

It is going to be seventy degrees for the next three days. I cannot wait for sunshine, and warmth. It's been shitty weather the last couple weeks.

Hey did anyone get a look at Jerry Cantrell's new haircut?

It makes him look like an old ass man. And on another subject, why is he hanging out with Buffalo Bill?

My Ebay Store

pbsisbad
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:06 am 

Metal_Detector wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:
You must relinquish your 522 posts and start anew!

I have over 70 reviews, too.... :(

Post #1...
I
Post #2...
am
Post #3...
very
Post #4...
very
Post #521...
very
Post #522...
bored.
So you go to a show, and you can't mosh... who cares. Are you there to run into people or to listen to the music? If you want to run into people go to the mall and run through groups of mall goths or something for fun.

TIMJ Profile

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:51 am 

Unifying_Disorder wrote:
Quite frankly, I think people make too big of a deal out of it. Myself, I'm waiting till marriage.

:ah-ha:

Vlachos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:55 am 

americanholocaust wrote:
Hey did anyone get a look at Jerry Cantrell's new haircut?

It makes him look like an old ass man.

Huh?

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
Unifying_Disorder wrote:
Quite frankly, I think people make too big of a deal out of it. Myself, I'm waiting till marriage.

:ah-ha:

Yup, bad idea. What happens when you marry the broad and you inevitably want to shag someone else?

Besides, to wait until marriage IS making a big deal out of it.
I took advantage of being in 8 feet of ocean water by taking an enormous dump in the water. I had goggles on so I watched it sink to the sand on the ocean floor. It was the most awe-inspiring thing I have ever seen.

Playing online like a true boller right here

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:35 am 

Waiting for marriage is a terrible idea. Getting to know your sexual compatability with a partner is an important part of knowing how much chemistry the relationship has.

At the risk of sounding crass; you've got to try before you buy.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:41 am 

Unifying_Disorder wrote:
[/quote]

Maybe if you're very religious you would, otherwise I really doubt you will. :P

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:50 am 

colin040 wrote:
Unifying_Disorder wrote:

Maybe if you're very religious you would, otherwise I really doubt you will. :P

I can count on one hand how many "really religious" people saved themselves for marriage.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:24 am 

Razakel wrote:
Yes, everyone has heard of them, but still the average person can hardly name any of their songs besides Tom Sawyer and maybe Closer to the Heart and one or two other hits. They're famous but they're still underrated because (in my opinion) they deserve to be mentioned alongside Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and the like, which they usually aren't. Then again, I can see why. Their lyrics alone place them in a very strange ballpark that basically attracts a cult following, not to mention everything else that's bizarre about the band.

No, really, I like Rush... I definitely prefer them over Pink Floyd's big albums (Shite Side of the Moon, The Shite). I don't quite like 'em as much as Rush fans (ie: the kid who used to spend the whole of maths lessons playing drum solos with his pencils) but yeah, they're still very good.

jerk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:54 am 

I prefer Rush's 80's and 90's work to their 70's prog-rock stuff.

:oh shit: <---Me, the Untrue Prog Fan.

halberd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:33 am 

Unifying_Disorder wrote:

Don't be an idiot and Carpe Diem with the person you like and be glad you're not depressed and impotent as a result as me.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:34 am 

From Ahab's website:
"We can gladly announce that the guitar and vocal recordings are finished, too. Also, mix and mastering has been completed and it sounds great! We can hardly wait to share our new baby with you. We will surely post some small teasers in the next weeks."

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:35 am 

Saving yourself until marriage is a recipe for disaster. You know, finding out there's sexual incompatibility between the two of you... like, two instead of the expected lower number of penises, the fact that you find out you're utterly repulsed by certain details of the main course, or that the ancient "joke" about the wedding cake being the only food capable of lowering a woman's libido by 98% is actually true.

In other, way more positive news, I am now the happyhappyhappy owner of both of the A.R.G. full-length re-releases, available since this morning. Envy me, and despair, you loser!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:50 am 

Besides which, it's pretty hard to know exactly what you like, without having tried different stuff beforehand. It'd be like trying to figure out which sport you're best at and enjoy playing most just from watching TV. Sometimes things seem a lot better (or worse) in your head.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:55 am 

Those saving themselves for the marriage are not supposed to watch that stuff on the TV either...

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:14 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Oh man I have no idea, I was just messing around. It just seems like there's been a subtle shift from people being "elitist" about their music choices to being "elitist" about how they're so willing to accept...anything.

We've had a lot of people yammering and crying about "open-mindness" over the years. Can't remember any usernames, but I seem to remember a pattern frequently establishing itself. THey stick around, make a bunch of generic but reasonable posts, then see a lot of hate for something they enjoy, and something in their heads just explodes...they go on a huge, delerious rant about how everyone here is so hateful and negative and how they're ashamed to be called metalheads and how only their trendy college friends understand true art, etc, etc. Then they get banned.

I missed some Yes talk. Relayer is a cool album but Brewford should have been on it!!! Fragile is my favourite I think..the perfect compromise between accessible, driving songs (oh god that bass!!!) and mindbending complexity.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:22 am 

No way, Bruford was too busy being awesome in King Crimson. ;)

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:37 am 

I saved myself for a really hot chick, that was worth it.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:43 am 

Wow! Should we applaud or have a round of high fives?

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:51 am 

failsafeman wrote:
No way, Bruford was too busy being awesome in King Crimson. ;)

Good point man, and Red is one of my favourite albums of all time.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:53 am 

CorpseFister wrote:
Wow! Should we applaud or have a round of high fives?

Depends on what Sokaris thinks is hot, some people are into animals you know.....

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:20 pm 

I've heard two Yes albums - Relayer and Fragile - the former is pretty boring and the later is pretty good. But they're not a band I'd ever listen to, anyway. I can't really give a concrete reason for this, but let's just say they're a little too prog.

I find the idea of teenage boys wanting to "save themselves" a little odd, given how most raging male hormones are. "Moderately attractive? No four o' clock shadow? Err, okay!" (all said in a voice that veers between abnormally bassy and extra squeeky).

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:20 pm 

Who remembers webrings? :(

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:26 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
I've heard two Yes albums - Relayer and Fragile - the former is pretty boring and the later is pretty good. But they're not a band I'd ever listen to, anyway. I can't really give a concrete reason for this, but let's just say they're a little too prog.

You should give Close to the Edge a try before you completely write them off! Its only 38 minutes so its not like giving it one spin would be too detrimental. I think its probably their most concise and well balanced album, even if its not my personal favorite.

I love Red and listen to it quite a bit at work, but for some reason when I'm home and trying to decide which Crimson album to throw on I never choose it. I just keep coming back to the ones I mentioned before (Lark's, Lizard, Poseidon). I really love The Devil's Triangle, the way they can be so god damned heavy without relying on colossal riffage.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:34 pm 

I could never get into Red aside from the amazing track Starless. Elsewise, I seem stuck on the debut and Discipline, though maybe it's because I regard the debut as one of the best albums of all time...

Vlachos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:51 pm 

Sokaris wrote:
I saved myself for a really hot chick, that was worth it.

No, what you did was either not get to have sex beforehand or you passed up the opportunity to be with some slobs. I see the latter as a neutral, if slightly negative, decision.

I don't know where guys got this idea that they were ever in a position to save themselves. Most girls are granted this because they can decide the precise moment they give it up. It's not like in our awkward adolescence we were walking around looking like Chris Cornell. It must all be a symptom of this gender equality thing, with men being patronized by women.
I took advantage of being in 8 feet of ocean water by taking an enormous dump in the water. I had goggles on so I watched it sink to the sand on the ocean floor. It was the most awe-inspiring thing I have ever seen.

Playing online like a true boller right here

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:57 pm 

Long ago, I decided to never listen to advice given by Metal Archives forum users in regards to the opposite sex. It has worked incredibly, incredibly well.

Obligatory Last FM Link

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:06 pm 

Same, except replace "Metal Archives forum users" with "anonymous people on the internet". It's so rarely a good plan! Better to talk to people who know and understand your unique situation, and who actually care about what happens to you.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:18 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Who remembers webrings? :(

Sure. They still exist, especially in the tenebrous continuum of SF/horror fandom. Probably elsewhere, too. There used to be a huge metal webring. There was also a Finnish website that I visited regularly where the guy put up links to pretty much every metal resource available online in the mid-90s, and had them all organised by category...

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:10 pm 

bronxeel wrote:
From Ahab's website:
"We can gladly announce that the guitar and vocal recordings are finished, too. Also, mix and mastering has been completed and it sounds great! We can hardly wait to share our new baby with you. We will surely post some small teasers in the next weeks."

Whhaaaaaa, I didn't even know they had a new one on the way.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:25 pm 

I am the best advice giver in the universe when it comes to women. Several dozen unhappy customers can't be wrong! Saving yourself for marriage is silly and implies that sex is only for procreation, which is like saying that water is only for toilets.

The correct answer is let's everybody shut up and listen to the best song of 1982. FUCK I love it so much. Sometimes classics are called classics for a reason, there's just nothing at all wrong with this tune.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:35 pm 

That song is so fucking killer, and honestly the whole album is just as good. The rest may not be as heavy-footed on the pedal, but they were cranking out some chunky riffing pretty early on. The title track and Flash Rockin' Man are both just classic trad. metal goodness.

edit: I love my job, but working for a company that only employs 3 other people is a real hassle when you're feeling sick. I keep getting hit with this aggressive waves of nausea out of no where. Can't go home though, because I'm holding down the shop solo, taking care of customers, answering all phone calls and fixing 3 computers. Pink Floyd and Amon Duul II are saving my life right now.

Last edited by Jonpo on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:40 pm 

Accept during that beloved era is some of the best meat and potatoes heavy metal ever written. Restless and Wild is such a beast of an album. And yeah, "Flash Rockin' Man" earns distinction for being one of the oodles of early 80s metal tracks to use "that riff". You know, the "Welcome to Hell/2 Minutes to Midnight/Warfare/Curse of the Pharaohs" riff. No matter how many times I hear it, in how many songs, it's always awesome.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:41 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
The correct answer is let's everybody shut up and listen to the best song of 1982.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:43 pm 

Didn't know the song had a video for it. Great song indeed.

Been listening to a lot of thrash metal lately. Sepultura's Schizophrenia is finally growing on me. The raw production suits pretty well, Max's barks are cool (way better than his BTR performence) and the riffing is scary fast.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:45 pm 

Yeah, that riff got recycled so much for a damn good reason. Honestly all of those songs sound incredibly different to me, just because of what they did with the riff in each circumstance. I got a copy of Balls to the Wall a few months ago but I've only listened to it once or twice. There are still some really good songs on there but it didn't strike me as nearly as powerful or consistent as Restless and Wild. I guess I need to work my way backwards from that one and see what's up...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:47 pm 

When it comes to Balls to the Wall, the title track is earth shatteringly awesome and probably the most headbangable song ever written, but the rest of the album kinda pales in comparison. I definitely prefer Restless and Wild.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:47 pm 

I still think Blood of The Nations is hands down their best record.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:50 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Phlip Glass is a beast.

I saw him live in 2005, playing "Orion". It was absolutely awesome.

Also, BastardHead, you forgot to mention "Heavy Metal Breakdown" on the "that riff" list.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:50 pm 

It's really good, but hands down the best? Nah, I wouldn't say so. It's too bloated, if it were three tracks shorter or so it would have been top 10 of 2010, easy. "Beat the Bastards" is an awesome song.

Anybody else notice my favorite track off each album is the first one? That might actually be a bad thing.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:52 pm 

I haven't given Blood of the Nations a shot, and you pretty much nailed my suspicions to the floor. The tracklist/runtime just looked like bad news. I don't know why it is that older bands feel they should just jam pack an album full of as many songs as possible with no thoughts towards pacing, flow, or shit even listener stamina.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270 ... 827  Next