Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:21 am 

We need more shit like this. Modern times is too boring without daily stories of horrible shit.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:25 pm 

Did anyone else originally think Dave Chandler from Saint Vitus was a black guy because of this album cover? That was the first material I ever heard from them, on some internet radio station. I remember being like "Daaaamn that's awesome, he's like doom's Hendrix!". So goofy.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:33 pm 

Googled Dave chandler. Got this:
Spoiler: show

:o
I'm not worthy of this picture...
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:43 pm 

He's one of the best characters in heavy metal, in my opinion. Really down to earth dude too, he was just hanging out at the bar with the rest of us unaware squares after I saw them in Lexington. One thing that DID catch me off guard is how high pitch and almost surfer sounding his normal speaking voice is. He hopped on the mic after their show and I was like "Hold on...what's all this?"

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:13 pm 

So I just saw that SMH invaded the SW thread.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:11 pm 

I'll be going to the Skeletonwitch/Havok show tonight. If you're there, look for a dude in an Iced Earth cutoff. It's probably me. Say hi or shank me, or something.

Obligatory Last FM Link

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:23 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
He's one of the best characters in heavy metal, in my opinion. Really down to earth dude too, he was just hanging out at the bar with the rest of us unaware squares after I saw them in Lexington. One thing that DID catch me off guard is how high pitch and almost surfer sounding his normal speaking voice is. He hopped on the mic after their show and I was like "Hold on...what's all this?"

Yeah you kind of expect everyone in Saint Vitus to have super deep bass croaks as speaking voices, don't you? It'd be like finding out everyone other than Lemmy in Motorhead spoke with an effeminate lisp.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:33 pm 

Exactly! I just assumed that years of drug and alcohol abuse had turned him into a leather throated demon like Wino. Then he jumps on the microphone to thank everyone and it sounded exactly like some surfer dude. I guess he is from California...

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:43 pm 

So..... Soundgarden are back?

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:23 pm 

So I never realized until last week that The Osmonds had effectively written a song for Electric Six thirty years before Electric Six were even a band. That's right, Electric Six is covering Crazy Horses. Why? Because they're Electric Fucking Six and will do what they damn well please, that's why.

Basically, Electric Six is the best rock band of the new millennium, and if you disagree, you must hate fun and happiness. You would probably also kick puppies if given the chance. ORPHAN puppies.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:24 pm 

I hate being sick and having to miss class. Ugh. And I really shouldn't miss any now as we're nearing the end of the semester; but I think projectile vomiting is enough a reason to skip. I still have to register for next semester too; first thing tomorrow.

This shit is cutting into my weekend forcing me to do productive shit on a Friday. Dammit. :annoyed:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:31 pm 

iAm wrote:
I hate being sick and having to miss class. Ugh. And I really shouldn't miss any now as we're nearing the end of the semester; but I think projectile vomiting is enough a reason to skip. I still have to register for next semester too; first thing tomorrow.

This shit is cutting into my weekend forcing me to do productive shit on a Friday. Dammit. :annoyed:

Get better! I got an A+ for a paper (the preparation of a bigger paper), the prof liked the subject, it's about marijuana tourism in Amsterdam and its influence on geography and social/economic issues! I'm probably skipping all my classes next week though! This week was the mid term so it's gonna be relax, I have some homeworks to send online, that's it. I'll prepare myself for Messe des Morts (3 intense days of bm). John Sun and another friend are staying at my place, we're gonna do some pillow fights, paint our toe nails and do shrooms...

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:33 pm 

Just saying that if you guys did do a shirtless pillow fight, you'd have at least one interested viewer.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:47 pm 

Thashierthanthou wrote:
Just saying that if you guys did do a shirtless pillow fight, you'd have at least one interested viewer.

The internet is weird like that.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:09 am 

Metantoine wrote:
we're gonna do some pillow fights, paint our toe nails and do shrooms...

Now I regret not going to Queen's :(

Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:32 am 

Metantoine wrote:
(3 intense days of bm)

That's a long shit.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:32 am 

inhumanist wrote:
Googled Dave chandler. Got this:
Spoiler: show

:o
I'm not worthy of this picture...

:lol: Serendipitously, I was listening to Saint Vitus when this popped up; made my day.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Would agree with that. Antithesis of Light has a really timeless feeling, a quintessential darkness that's seamless and grandiose, all-consuming...

I finally got into Evoken a couple of days ago; for some reason, I'd never given them enough of a chance before, probably because they were too obvious a choice - I always passed over listening to them in favour of going for something more novel or obscure... Naturally, I love the sound; while my opinion is only based on very limited experience, I'd say that "Quietus" was the record that stood out most for me - I felt it offered a darkness that exceeded even "Antithesis of Light". On the subject of doom (and musicians who don't look like you'd expect them to) - has anyone else heard of Reclusiam? Rather impressive one-man funeral project, made by a guy who - I think - doesn't look in the least like you'd expect him to (looks being irrelevant, generally, of course). Anyway, I was rather glad to find his music; there's something about it that I really enjoy.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:14 am 

I'd have to give Quietus another listen. It's a good album as I recall, definitely worthy of attention, but Antithesis always felt like it had slightly better songwriting/riffs and a more favorable percentage of strong to weak points (to wit, no weak moments at all), and so tended to overshadow all their other releases. It's one of those albums I just can't find hardly any fault in.

Speaking of obvious choices, have you been avoiding Esoteric too? :P

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:56 am 

Haha, fortunately I haven't - I was just speaking about them with a friend, actually, who also turns out to be a fan. I'm not too fond of their earlier material, but "The Maniacal Vale" especially is always on high rotation. Don't know if it's just me, but I feel sometimes that they're almost 'upbeat' in their atmosphere - or, at least, more contemplative than unrelentingly bleak; I was alternating their stuff with Abstract Spirit's, and it just struck me that they have completely different atmospheres.

Of course, I could be imagining things; spending most of a day listening to songs that average around the 9 minute mark will do that.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:35 am 

excited about seeing dark fortress tomorrow. Taking my vinyl sleeve for stab wounds, it's my favourite album of all time, and I would be absolutely over the moon if I could get that signed. The venue is a pub too, so it shouldn't be too difficult, I've met the guitarist V Santura twice before, once with DF and once with Tom G Warrior after a triptykon gig. Tom got annoyed because I was more interested in talking to V Santura than him, and walked off.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:07 pm 

Evoken's Quietus is a pretty nifty album, I really like it. Can't say I care for the Esoteric album I heard (Subconscious Dissolution..., though, maybe it's just more typically dull funeral doom stuff.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:15 pm 

You heard their weakest and most panned album :lol: Esoteric is easily the best funeral doom band and you shouldn't dismiss them because of that.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:34 pm 

You're all wrong. The best Funeral Doom band out there is Worship.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:49 pm 

Worship are heavy but aren't varied in the least, its a pain in the ass to listen to them they're just dull as hell. Evoken are perfect because they can be heavy, atmospheric, and still have variation in their songs as on Quietus.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:17 pm 

That's a very dumb statement. It's Funeral Doom, not "variational doom". I hope you go around in life making smarter comments.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:19 pm 

Surely you jest...

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:21 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Did anyone else originally think Dave Chandler from Saint Vitus was a black guy because of this album cover? That was the first material I ever heard from them, on some internet radio station. I remember being like "Daaaamn that's awesome, he's like doom's Hendrix!". So goofy.

Wino looks a bit too much like Jon Schaffer on that picture, if you ask me.....

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:35 pm 

Yeah, ANA, you picked the only standard sounding Esoteric album, which is still very good, but it isn't mind blowing. Try literally anything else with the Esoteric name on it.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:15 pm 

Yeah, Subconscious Dissolution is really dull, kind of shockingly so, given who it came from. So many awesome albums from Esoteric. Calusari, I'd definitely suggest giving Metamorphogenesis another listen. It's....um....really good.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:36 pm 

Hostess company is going out of business. No more twinkies. Just found that out this morning. I can't say i'm really sorry about that except for the jobs that were lost; that is if the jobs weren't lost because of labor unions making their fault. Although perhaps the company would have gone under anyways. Who knows.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:03 pm 

In an odd twist, Hostess products are produced by another company here in Canada so we will still have Twinkies and Wonderbread, two products I've always considered quintessentially American.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:16 pm 

Man, I skipped out on the skeletonwitch show that's less than 30 minutes from my house. I dunno, I think I just never really felt like going alone, never got around to ordering tickets, wouldn't have any way to get there anyways, wouldn't know what to expect. I dunno. I could think of reasons that I didn't go, but whatever. I think it might be cool to see a metal concert eventually.

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:22 pm 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
Man, I skipped out on the skeletonwitch show that's less than 30 minutes from my house. I dunno, I think I just never really felt like going alone, never got around to ordering tickets, wouldn't have any way to get there anyways, wouldn't know what to expect. I dunno. I could think of reasons that I didn't go, but whatever. I think it might be cool to see a metal concert eventually.

You passed Skeletonwitch? I'd have gone to a show just for them. I usually don't mind going alone, as long as I can enjoy the show, that's all I care.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:26 pm 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
Hostess company is going out of business. No more twinkies. Just found that out this morning. I can't say i'm really sorry about that except for the jobs that were lost; that is if the jobs weren't lost because of labor unions making their fault. Although perhaps the company would have gone under anyways. Who knows.

If your truck drivers are treated poorly with shitty hours and a tight schedule, then they have every reason to strike. In order to run a business properly it's employees should be treated fairly, and Hostess has had plenty of time to review their business plan and neglected to make changes.

At least from what I know. I haven't been keeping up on this one.

CorpseFister wrote:
In an odd twist, Hostess products are produced by another company here in Canada so we will still have Twinkies and Wonderbread, two products I've always considered quintessentially American.

CANADIANS ARE SCABS! get em! :lol:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:16 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
It's not called variation doom.

You say dumb things. Anyways, the new Worship is my funeral doom favourite of the year so far, it's crushing yet incredible epic. Though I haven't heard Monolithe's release yet.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:28 pm 

I think I could still get tickets for the skeletonwitch concert. I only have a temporary driver's license, so really it just depends on if I can get a ride. I have to make a quick decision and if i do, I don't know if I can make it work out. I don't see any bands i'd even be interested in seeing on the beabody's venue for months, or at all. This may be my one opportunity to see a band live for a while.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:19 am 

Right now I'm way more pissed off than I should be :lol: So I was driving on the main stretch through town, and there's an old bitch driving fifteen fucking miles an hour. So, like any reasonable person would do in this situation, I creep up real close to her. after a couple blocks of that she still doesn't get it and I flash my brights at her. Then she flips me off.

The elderly shouldn't be allowed to drive. This sort of thing happens way too much in this town.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:26 am 

I recently got a second job delivering pizzas. Tonight, I made 2/3 of what I would normally make in a full week at my other job (a full week's worth if it's the week the union decides to take their "share"). Yeah, I may quit that first one.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:46 am 

At the Earth concert right now... they atarted by playing a new song called Badger which was pretty cool, but more minimalist than they've been doing up to now, and right this second, they're jamming out Old Black. Apparently it is about a cat. And a tour bus. Who knew?

BTW, I love the post-reunion albums, so this concert is so far making me a happy camper.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:54 am 

BastardHead wrote:
I recently got a second job delivering pizzas. Tonight, I made 2/3 of what I would normally make in a full week at my other job (a full week's worth if it's the week the union decides to take their "share"). Yeah, I may quit that first one.

I've considered getting a job at Dominoes doing that, they hire practically anyone with a car and relatively clean record. Only thing is though they deliver out to two neighboring, even more rural towns than this one. In the long run I'd just end up spending more on gas than what I'd make with minimum wage.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 682, 683, 684, 685, 686, 687, 688 ... 827  Next