Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:10 am 

iAm wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
I recently got a second job delivering pizzas. Tonight, I made 2/3 of what I would normally make in a full week at my other job (a full week's worth if it's the week the union decides to take their "share"). Yeah, I may quit that first one.

I've considered getting a job at Dominoes doing that, they hire practically anyone with a car and relatively clean record. Only thing is though they deliver out to two neighboring, even more rural towns than this one. In the long run I'd just end up spending more on gas than what I'd make with minimum wage.

Herein lies my problem. I deliver for Giordano's (Pizza Hut and Domino's both decided to not hire me), and they way they do it is they don't class me as a regular employee. I'm technically an "independent contractor", so they don't pay me an hourly wage, I get paid purely by delivery charge and tips. It sucks in that regard, but my other job (meat department at Jewel) only pays like 85 bucks a week, and at the beginning of the month I get 30 taken out by the union (which is bullshit in its own right, they mandate that nobody can work more than 12 hours a week otherwise they get all in a tizzy, so they have six people paying 30 bucks every month but they never have to give benefits because nobody is full time). Either way I'm getting screwed, but I'm getting screwed slightly less with delivering the pizzas.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:28 am 

BastardHead wrote:
It sucks in that regard, but my other job (meat department at Jewel) only pays like 85 bucks a week, and at the beginning of the month I get 30 taken out by the union (which is bullshit in its own right, they mandate that nobody can work more than 12 hours a week otherwise they get all in a tizzy, so they have six people paying 30 bucks every month but they never have to give benefits because nobody is full time). Either way I'm getting screwed, but I'm getting screwed slightly less with delivering the pizzas.
That's what happens when unions get too much power... Workers are abused and the money that gets taken from your paycheck goes into some teamsters wallet. Take that up with your local union rep or the store manager, it sounds like you have a valid enough case to fight this.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:51 am 

$85 a week for one job :wtf:

I can see that lots of you are still studying to create better employment opportunities (and money) for the future, but earning that little would drive me crazy in the meantime. Patience is not a virtue I am wonderful at :lol:

My collection

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:53 am 

I'm actually not in school and can't afford to go for obvious reasons. DON'T DICK AROUND IN HIGH SCHOOL, KIDS. IT REALLY DOES COME BACK TO BITE YOU.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:10 am 

problem solved.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Last edited by Veracs on Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:15 am 

Had a pretty interesting day today, walked around 7 hours with my pledge brothers, had cigars along the way. Pretty much the only exercise I've gotten all week. We went out on the golf course and hooligans tried to shoot us with paintball guns. One of them also plays guitar had a pretty good jam session, although we did pretty obvious tunes like House of the Rising Sun. Whatever, I have my Norwegian friend who likes to play black metal, we might actually start a band.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:25 am 

Fuck Libertarianism. Take it away, Connor.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:02 am 

There is enough strawmen in that article to build an army of scarecrows, have you been having sleepover's at John's house? Gotta love the mention of evil unknowable ghouls like"Elites" and "ruling class", its like an Alex Jones article except written by some politically isolated far left douche.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Last edited by Veracs on Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:06 am 

Have you been gassing pinkos again?

God that felt good.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:13 am 

I dunno dude that was just a weak article, I'm all for good critiques of libertarianism but if the guy is just bitching about current political trends as opposed to a good debate on economics which he knows he can't win then its just a nauseating read.

Under_Starmere wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:22 am 

Are you a pro-Keynes libertarian or anti-Keynes? As I understand it (which admittedly isn't well), there's a pretty big disconnect from both sides of (what would seem to be) the same coin; a bit comparable to Black Metal and Melodic Black Metal aficionados.

While I don't really agree with anything fiscally libertarian, I do read a lot of Thomas Sowell. He's unquestionably a very smart man, if not a very compassionate one.

Last edited by darkeningday on Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:27 am 

I take bits from the Austrian school of economics, we're witnessing the death of central planning as we speak. But I would say I'm open to the idea of welfarism being viable on a state level not a national one, we could literally go into this for hours and to be honest I'm not up for it because I don't want to make this thread shit. Anti Keynes I guess.

Under_Starmere wrote:

Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:54 am 

I got up at 4:30 and moved beer kegs from 5:30am til 8pm, then went and watched Roky Erickson live, my life is needless hard labor with barely adequate pay. I make more money than any I know that graduated college, most cannot find jobs. The only ones I know with a future went into the medical field. I think of murdering people all day long, it gets my adrenaline up to move faster at work, I grind my teeth and think of breaking fuckheads necks I don't like, smashing in faces with irons (for clothes). Me and a friend started lifting weights recently, he is more advanced than I, but we're making progress. I love the thought of beating someone to death with my bare hands, I know the legal system will impede your moving around outside progress but there is steady weight lifting there. You can never express these thoughts without some dumbass pointing this out to you, probably because they have ugly kids and a fat wife, and tear up thinking of harm coming near their loved ones. There comes a point it's difficult to feel much when you're assaulted by copious amounts of utter fucking dumbass bullshit which is the order of the land at this point. Humanity seems a wasted effort and failure.

Like an awful bulimia secret a cheerleader keeps, I find every human effort pointless. Everything I see seems hollow and, yep, pointless. Anyones desires and hopes seem minute compared to the ever hungry cavernous gut of the infinite. I'd suck on a shotgun shell, but I want to see how the world will be when all the old world people die off and there's nothing left but worthless Gen-Xers and beyond, hilarious I'd imagine.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:06 am 

Well alright, then.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:01 am 

Varth wrote:
Like an awful bulimia secret a cheerleader keeps, I find every human effort pointless. Everything I see seems hollow and, yep, pointless. Anyones desires and hopes seem minute compared to the ever hungry cavernous gut of the infinite. I'd suck on a shotgun shell, but I want to see how the world will be when all the old world people die off and there's nothing left but worthless Gen-Xers and beyond, hilarious I'd imagine.

...This confession has meant nothing

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:30 am 

Varth wrote:
boohoo I'm a depressed teenager

And then you realize all emotions, desires, and everything which can be physically perceived is nothing more than chemical reactions based on entirely random stimuli. There is no omnipotent being called "God," time is an illusion, there is no "meaning of life," human existence as a whole is utterly futile and doomed to extinction, and the universe doesn't care if you succeed or fail.

If you truly hate humanity that much go live in the fucking woods.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:35 am 

...or become a libertarian.

Just kidding.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:43 am 

inhumanist wrote:
...or become a libertarian.

Just kidding.

Libertarian? Nah. I can imagine him being close friends with Richard Nixon and Spiro Agnew though. Or within the inner circle of some third world country in Africa.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:57 am 

iAm wrote:
Or within the inner circle of some third world country in Africa.

You mean the inner circle of some stereotypical dictatorship as seen in "Lord Of War"?
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:59 am 

inhumanist wrote:
iAm wrote:
Or within the inner circle of some third world country in Africa.

You mean the inner circle of some stereotypical dictatorship as seen in "Lord Of War"?

Exactly. I don't know how close to reality that movie is, but you get my point. I think.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:01 am 

Or maybe the inner circle of Inner Circle.

deathsane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:09 am 

There was nothing childish about Varth's post. Or at least certainly no more than in the standard knee-jerk "boohoo depressed teenager, go live in the woods" retort that everyone, who'll ever express a sentiment even a little bit similar to his, is bound to receive.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:24 am 

deathsane wrote:
There was nothing childish about Varth's post. Or at least certainly no more than in the standard knee-jerk "boohoo depressed teenager, go live in the woods" retort that everyone, who'll ever express a sentiment even a little bit similar to his, is bound to receive.

Misanthropy in itself is quite a childish behavior, I think it was Freud who went on how this behavior is a means of garnering attention. Believe it or not I actually agree with what he's saying- only I've taken a different approach than "lol let's watch the world fuck itself in the ass." If there's one thing I learned from reading the likes of Nietzsche is to better yourself and generally not give a fuck about the world around you.

offtopic edit:
Damn. The name for a band I wanted to use is already taken... And play similar music to what I want to do. Oh how gloriously offensive it would be to have a band called "Love and Terror" from the town they found the Manson family :(

deathsane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:30 am 

So, he's a depressed teenager for coming to a different conclusion on a subject you basically agree with him on. Nice. Just because the matter is of greater importance hardly makes the conclusion stupider than you two disagreeing on an album or some shit.

I'm in your corner when it comes to the conclusion as well, but there's not much wrong with disagreeing with it either, in my mind.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:37 am 

It's whatever. I find it hard to respect someone with that mentality.

deathsane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:39 am 

I find it hard to respect somebody who hates the music that I like. I'm not going around calling them idiots because of it.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:55 am 

Are you really attempting to draw parallels between a music disagreement and a guy airing out his casual murder fantasies?

deathsane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:03 am 

Yes. You're quite observant, you are. As I said, I don't think the graveness of the matter affects how stupid or intelligent the conclusion is.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:14 am 

But there isn't any gravity to the matter, the matter is beyond simple. Every semi-rational observant adult has had or will have the epiphany that on a macroscopic scale nothing matters. Most of us do not use it as excuse to churn out weird murder fantasies and then share them with anonymous strangers.

If you genuinely read the full length of his little venting session and don't find any aspect of it "childish" then I guess we're done here.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:22 am 

Jonpo wrote:
I guess we're done here.

Indeed. I've been on this forum long enough to know this type of argument turns into an assault of ad hominem-esque shit throwing and posters being banned. Anyone else remember The Symposium subforum?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:27 am 

Go hug yourself you adorable piece of cuddly peace monger!

...Am I doing ad-homs right?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:28 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Go hug yourself you adorable piece of cuddly peace monger!

...Am I doing ad-homs right?

Yup. I'm quite far from adorable and cuddly :lol:

deathsane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:28 am 

Jonpo wrote:
But there isn't any gravity to the matter, the matter is beyond simple.

Guess I'm a bit thick then. I don't see it being this simple at all.
Jonpo wrote:
Every semi-rational observant adult has had or will have the epiphany that on a macroscopic scale nothing matters. Most of us do not use it as excuse to churn out weird murder fantasies and then share them with anonymous strangers.

Which has nothing to do with how stupid/childish the conduct itself is.
Jonpo wrote:
If you genuinely read the full length of his little venting session and don't find any aspect of it "childish" then I guess we're done here.

I didn't see him come in conflict with any facts in his posts; it's all a question of morality. It's not objective. That the overwhelming majority (including me, btw) would find his thoughts rather heinous has nothing to do with how valid they are.
iAm wrote:
Jonpo wrote:
I guess we're done here.

Indeed. I've been on this forum long enough to know this type of argument turns into an assault of ad hominem-esque shit throwing and posters being banned. Anyone else remember The Symposium subforum?

Unless, of course, everyone can keep their calm and stay rational, which I'm sure we're all capable of.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:36 am 

All calm here Sir, no sign of panicking, we're British :-D

http://www.youtube.com/v/ZR6wok7g7do

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:44 am 

deathsane wrote:
Unless, of course, everyone can keep their calm and stay rational, which I'm sure we're all capable of.

That was quite impossible only a few years ago when the Symposium was here. You and iAm are probably capable of debating in a sensible, matter-of-fact fashion though.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:03 am 

iAm wrote:
(...) all emotions, desires, and everything which can be physically perceived is nothing more than chemical reactions based on entirely random stimuli. There is no omnipotent being called "God," time is an illusion, there is no "meaning of life," human existence as a whole is utterly futile and doomed to extinction, and the universe doesn't care if you succeed or fail.

Funny thing is, all of this is perfectly accurate, yet unimportant in the end. We don't matter, the Earth doesn't matter, and the goddamn universe itself doesn't matter. It's all a big coincidence, but I think anyone with a certain level of intelligence (and not even a particularly high one) can live happily knowing that. Not trying to sound like some kind of "illuminated" individual spewing pseudo-intellectual bullshit here either. Just saying what I think amounts to the truth.

So, the other day I mentioned that Soundgarden have returned. What do you guys think of it?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:14 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
So, the other day I mentioned that Soundgarden have returned. What do you guys think of it?

You know, I've met Ben Shepard on multiple occasions and this is my first time listening to them since middle school. It isn't bad, but I don't see it getting regular plays from me.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:19 am 

Same here. I kind of feel weird about it in all honesty, because I had no expectations for the record on the first place, and it certainly ended up being better than I would've imagined, but still, I'd much rather crank up Badmotorfinger than this new album. I can also hear quite a bit of deterioration in Cornell's vocals. His voice isn't ruined, by any means, but I simply cannot hear that raw fire he had during the earlier days of the band, not to mention that his higher notes on this record sound more like hoarse screaming than the glorious wailing of days prior.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:23 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Same here. I kind of feel weird about it in all honesty, because I had no expectations for the record on the first place, and it certainly ended up being better than I would've imagined, but still, I'd much rather crank up Badmotorfinger than this new album. I can also hear quite a bit of deterioration in Cornell's vocals. His voice isn't ruined, by any means, but I simply cannot hear that raw fire he had during the earlier days of the band, not to mention that his higher notes on this record sound more like hoarse screaming than the glorious wailing of days prior.

True that. It almost reminded me of Black Label Society, or something. Ben is kind of a funny guy too. I used to see him all the time at the coffee shop I frequented in Seattle and had no idea it was him until someone told me :lol:

He always declined my offer to smoke him out though :grumble:

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:30 am 

Man, that must have been awkward. Did someone come and tell you "Hey, eeeeeeh..... Dude, that's Ben Shepard you've been talking to"? Whatever the case, would've loved to be there :lol:

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 683, 684, 685, 686, 687, 688, 689 ... 827  Next