Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:25 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Jugallos are stupid ya'll, they don't know how magnets work.

thanks for the timely and hilarious youtube video of a meme that certainly hasn't been totally ran into the ground :|

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:31 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Nope, he's not cool enough. His favorite genre is thrash!

Here ya go, the link for the new Suffocation. You're welcome!

I figured as much. Caspian being an asshole. What else is new?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:34 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Pffft, thrash is too metal for Tony! :-P

You know I'm 100 times more metal than you, bro. Also, considering a thrash album is my #1 favorite album of all time, it's funny :)

Damn, Aluk Todolo is awesome studying music, I should post that in the appropriated thread, maybe. Nah. Too lazy.

Also, perhaps Casp is an asshole, but fuck do we really need to talk about Juggalos? Damnit.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:35 pm 

caspian wrote:
shouvince wrote:
Jugallos are stupid ya'll, they don't know how magnets work.

thanks for the timely and hilarious youtube video of a meme that certainly hasn't been totally ran into the ground :|

Hey, have you seen this funny video gangnam style?

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

caspian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm 

Thashier: I've heard it about a million times but I have not actually seen the video! Wouldn't go out of my way to hear it but there's far worse pop out there.

Aluk's pretty epic tony.. Haven't gotten anything beyond some old 7" I bought as a curio a while back. I hear dudes talking about them, it's meant to sound krauty, I oughta check it out.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:50 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

You know I'm 100 times more metal than you, bro. Also, considering a thrash album is my #1 favorite album of all time, it's funny :)

What album?

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:54 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

You can't be more metal than me, man. I shit lead and piss mercury! :metal:

It hurts though.....

And yeah, what album are you talking about? I'd like to know. Knowing you, I would've expected a doom record.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:59 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Damn, Aluk Todolo is awesome studying music, I should post that in the appropriated thread, maybe. Nah. Too lazy.

Aye, quite the same. I posted something similar but in an inappropriate thread. And I was listening to 'Transcendence...' by diSEMBOWELMENT. Strangely, it was very gratifying. It kinda helped me concentrate while prepping for this job interview which I have tomorrow.

@Caspian: :grumble:

@Xlxlx: I can't remember Metantoine ever mentioning a thrash album in recent times. I checked his reviews, nope...no thrash there as well :)

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:00 pm 

Tony, Opeth isn't thrash.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:04 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83275&p=2168714&hilit=rust+in+peace#p2168714

I also posted a top 100 in the FFA a while ago, can't find it. It's still in mt FB's pics so here it is. The top 10 is in no particular order, RIP is probably #1 though.
Spoiler: show

@Shouvince, I review doom mostly and more unknown stuff. But I do like thrash, I just don't listen to it a lot, I like Vektor, Aura Noir, Hypnosia or Antichrist these days and I still listen to some early Slayer, but I'm rarely in the mood.

@U_S: you know if Mikael wanted to do thrash, he would be the best at it. Same thing applies to everything else in the world.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:08 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Tony, Opeth isn't thrash.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Some Opeth albums are cool, though. Still Life is badass (and The Moor must be the best song the band ever made), and Damnation is nice for those times when you just want to lay down and close your eyes. Orchid has also what must be their best riffs. I'm a bit on the fence about them, to be honest, as I think that they get both too much (irrational) praise and too much (also irrational) hate.

@Metantoine: Ah, I remember now. Rust in Peace fucking shreds, and Vektor is also infinitely badass :headbang:

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:10 pm 

You got distracted, we weren't talking about Opeth. Stay focused, you silly Argie!

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:18 pm 

Aye, aye.....

So, Rust in Peace. It used to be my favorite Megadeth album, but eventually Peace Sells took its place (if only by a hair). Probably wouldn't have happened if Dawn Patrol wasn't there.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:26 pm 

Killing is My Business... is where it's at for me. Killer from start to finish.

caspian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:08 pm 

feeling pretty triumphant; ripping a bunch of cds to my computer and I finally discover my super long lost, extremely rare Blue Deers CD. I given it up for lost maybe 5 years ago. Hopefully it's as good as I remember :)

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:48 pm 

Time for a captain obvious moment! Candlemass' Crystal Ball is one of the greatest songs ever.

On a related note, does anyone think the last 30 seconds or so of A Sorcerer's Pledge to be.. rushed feeling? It feels like they thought "Shit, we're running out of time, let's hurry and finish the song". It's not the first time I've heard a song that sounded like it needed a longer, drawn-out ending that was oddly short.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:07 pm 

I don't think I've listened to any Megadeth in years. What I heard from Thirteen was fucking horrible though...but RIP and Peace Sells are solid and I even like Youthanasia a bit.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:16 pm 

Thirteen indeed blows. It's lifeless, boring, and safe. The two albums before it are much better (though I'm pretty sure most people won't agree with me on this). And Youthanasia is solid. Not amazing, but catchy and memorable. Actually, everything from the debut to the aforementioned album is, as far as I'm concerned, worth its salt.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:19 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
The two albums before it are much better (though I'm pretty sure most people won't agree with me on this).

I can agree with Endgame being heaps better, but UA was an atrocity. Horrible album.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:20 pm 

What really keeps me from loving anything they do is Mustaine's awful vocals. I like a lot of shit with bizarre, hard-to-get-into vocals, but Megadeth is past my limits. He sounds like ass, plain and simple.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:22 pm 

Yeah, can't argue with that :lol:

I think that you never get to actually like him. You just get used to his vocals, and then again, not all people do.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:24 pm 

I certainly never have. I hate Megadeth even more than Metallica.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:27 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Yeah, can't argue with that :lol:

I think that you never get to actually like him. You just get used to his vocals, and then again, not all people do.

Nonsense. I love Mustaine's pissed-off nasal sneer on the first few albums, it fits his early fast, dirty, punk-influenced thrash perfectly. Yeah he sucks at singing in an objective sense but he's definitely my favorite vocalist out of the big four. I don't like him nearly as much after So Far So Good So What, though. His vocals don't fit Megadeth's sound nearly as well once they start getting really polished.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:31 pm 

Musically Megadeth suck as well, there songs just aren't as interesting as other tech thrash bands or even bands with complex songwriting like Realm and others. Peace sells was ok though, but his vocals are incredibly grating.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:31 pm 

Veracs being Veracs and shit.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:32 pm 

They in fact used to be a huge favorite of mine, but then I started to dig deeper into the underground..... I still listen to them rather often though. I'm just not a massively biased fanboy of them the way I used to be. Hell, I originally liked Risk! :durr:
failsafeman wrote:
I about Mustaine wrote:
think that you never get to actually like him. You just get used to his vocals, and then again, not all people do.

Nonsense. I love Mustaine's pissed-off nasal sneer on the first few albums, it fits his early fast, dirty, punk-influenced thrash perfectly. Yeah he sucks at singing in an objective sense but he's definitely my favorite vocalist out of the big four. I don't like him nearly as much after So Far So Good So What, though. His vocals don't fit Megadeth's sound nearly as well once they start getting really polished.

Wow, I wasn't expecting this. I guess you're right though. That Johnny Rottenesque sound he used to have (particularly on the debut) fits the songs like a glove. But then again, "it fits the music" and "I enjoy it" are two separate things. As for positives (or "negatives", come to think of it), I must say that I'm on the same camp as you regarding a deterioration, or more accurately, a loss of bite to his voice.
Veracs wrote:
Musically Megadeth suck as well, there songs just aren't as interesting as other tech thrash bands or even bands with complex songwriting like Realm and others. Peace sells was ok though, but his vocals are incredibly grating.

*cue mild doctor voice*

Yes Mr. Veracs, everything stinks.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:56 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Veracs being Veracs and shit.

Veracs should get a custom user title which says nothing but "nihilist."

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:16 am 

That's a terrible idea. At least nihilists have style. Veracs is just a relentless Debbie Downer.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:21 am 

I can live with Debbie downer, I love a lot of shit probably have quite a few favorite similar bands with most of you anyway.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:22 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
At least nihilists have style.

Yeah, the black sweater/slacks and combat boots the nihilists wore in The Big Lebowski were indeed quite fashionable. Meh, he wouldn't enjoy it anyways.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:24 am 

"Buncha crybabies! You call yourselves nihilists?!"

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:27 am 

Caspian - You should ditch that wife of yours and come and post here more. I miss your direct insulting posts that come out of nowhere. A lot of the time when I think of posting some retort to something (I was gonna post on that last page how gay Mantis' are) and find that you've already made some snide post.

:love:

caspian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:50 am 

I'll probably be fairly active here on the next few days; came back from europe-land and have not got a job. Snide posts have got to be made, the FFA's full of lameasses :(

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:15 am 

Put me down for the "Megadeth rocks except for the vocals" club, now that I've heard the songs so many times it's hard to imagine a different singer singing them but almost anyone would have been better. If I wasn't so dissatisfied with Tom Araya's vocals most of the time Mustaine would be an easy pick for worst of the Big 4, Belladonna is amazing and Hetfield in the 80's sounded fucking badass.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:35 am 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
Put me down for the "Megadeth rocks except for the vocals" club, now that I've heard the songs so many times it's hard to imagine a different singer singing them but almost anyone would have been better. If I wasn't so dissatisfied with Tom Araya's vocals most of the time Mustaine would be an easy pick for worst of the Big 4, Belladonna is amazing and Hetfield in the 80's sounded fucking badass.

How could anybody hate Araya on those first three albums?

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:18 am 

I don't hate them I'm just dissatisfied. The guitar work merits something more competent, the only times Araya shines is when he wails, for maybe a total of less than 1 minute out of a whole album. The verses he sings get monotonous real fast. I dunno Reign in Blood with like the Dark Angel dude or the guy from Protector would have been way better.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:38 am 

Araya rules you crazy. And both Dark Angel guys ultra sucked.

I'm not a huge Megadeth fan due to my general fondness for more uptempo thrash, but yeah the vocals are the biggest weakness. Rust in Peace is their best by a long, long distance.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:41 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
doomster999: Symphonic means, quite literally, symphony-esque. That would mean something that is reminiscent of orchestral western music. Keyboards have fuck all to do with it. Yes, keyboards produce synth sounds, and said sounds are most commonly used to create symphonic sounds in metal, but again, I refer to the electric guitar riff and metal analogy. Just because it has wheels doesn't mean it's a car.

Symphonic metal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKuWaM87_Ew

You need not educate me about that. I've grown up listening to Queen, Marillion, Journey, Van Der Graaf Generator and Van Halen. So I've a minimum knowledge of symphonic elements in rock music. Of course bands like Blind Guardian and Rhapsody of Fire make use of symphonic elements much precisely in their compositions. It may be borderline but I can hear symphonic elements in later Amorphis as well. They may not be classified as 'symphonic metal', but I haven't seen them labelled as 'modern rock' either anywhere but on MA. Labelling them as 'modern rock' is nothing but sheer stupidity.

godsonsafari wrote:
Shinedown doesn't sound anything like southern rock. C'mon, you really hear .38 Special or Molly Hatchet in that? They're not at all dissimilar to Chevelle, Breaking Benjamin, et al. They're a modern rock band that happened to be a metal band once and so people pretend it is somehow better than it is. Its like how you have a significant number of metal fans who would never buy a Brit-Pop record but own Anathema and Gathering CDs from after the point where they abandoned being metal acts and became cut rate versions of better alternative rock bands.

'Us and Them' is the only Shinedown album I've heard. And there was a light amount of southern rock influence on that record punched with watered down generic post-grunge-esque hard rock. That's why I've said watered down southern rock. Nowhere I've compared them to Molly Hatchet, Skynyrd, .38 Special or ZZ Top. Read carefully before posting.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:03 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
They in fact used to be a huge favorite of mine, but then I started to dig deeper into the underground..... I still listen to them rather often though. I'm just not a massively biased fanboy of them the way I used to be. Hell, I originally liked Risk! :durr:

I used to like 'Risk' as well in fact I still like it to some extent. :-P It has quite a few songs seem to fit Bon Jovi's 'Slippery When Wet' record. I like that album. So, I don't mind 'Risk'. My favourite Megadeth album is probably 'Peace Sells...' followed by 'Countdown to Extinction'.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:11 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
And both Dark Angel guys ultra sucked.

I just don't know how you can say that about Don Doty. He was evil as fuck, the other dude looked all buff and stuff but Doty was a better singer than him and better than a large majority of thrash vocalists.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 789, 790, 791, 792, 793, 794, 795 ... 827  Next