Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:34 am 

inhumanist wrote:
As a teen I think I was pretty much the opposite of that, but not in a good way. Fuck though, teenagers have it hard. Adolescence is like childhood and adulthood having a nasty hormonal car crash. And somehow you are supposed to be a functioning adult at the end of it, in a society devoid of values and obsessed with bullshit. Fuck.

Great way of describing adolescence. I, for instance, found out that being a teenager becomes much easier when you begin to understand that nothing that you do will ever amount to anything and that the world doesn't care about you (plus are able to live happily with that thought, of course), but then again, I know other people who would go insane if they started to think about that, so eh, different strokes for different folks, I guess.

PS: Not trying to sound like a hardass or anything here. Just stating what I think based on personal experience.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:51 am 

Married at 16, hah...hell, I'm 22 in two months and I haven't even had a serious enough relationship to even consider getting married yet. But sadly kids like that are the norm nowadays. Not as bad as 16, but plenty of my 20 year old classmates and acquaintances are getting married and they're not even through with college yet. If you ever wonder why there are so many divorces in the US now, well kids like these? Not exactly lowering the numbers.

I am now about to embark on the magical adventure of online traffic school...joyous.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:59 am 

Det_Morkettall wrote:
Hahahaha, Antoine isn't scary, but he's pretty cool and it's fun to watch him ban people/lock threads.

I remember Nightgaunt. That guy meant business for sure, as he banned me once for posting more than twice a day. Thankfully, he's no longer around, it seems.

Well, let's not put ALL the blame on him; as I recall you were posting things like "Hey guys, how do I make a Molotov Cocktail! My friend wants to know." :lol:

Empyreal wrote:
Married at 16, hah...hell, I'm 22 in two months and I haven't even had a serious enough relationship to even consider getting married yet. But sadly kids like that are the norm nowadays. Not as bad as 16, but plenty of my 20 year old classmates and acquaintances are getting married and they're not even through with college yet. If you ever wonder why there are so many divorces in the US now, well kids like these? Not exactly lowering the numbers.

I am now about to embark on the magical adventure of online traffic school...joyous.

I'm also surprised at the number of my peers getting engaged/married, and not even the "short-sighted/irresponsible" types; there are quite a few well-off couples who got engaged toward the end of college and married at the end. Even if you're set in terms of money/academics, marrying in the 20-22 range just seems too early since there's still so much that could change in terms of life plans, jobs, etc...I broke up with a long-term gf (who had been hinting she'd be interested in getting married after college) my senior year because she was dead-set on moving close to her family in the ass-end of the state after graduating, which would have been utter shite for me in terms of finding a job in my field.

Last edited by Smoking_Gnu on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:59 am 

You must have a serious misunderstanding of marriage to even consider it a possibility at that age, me thinks.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:25 pm 

And people say that gay people marrying is ruining marriage's "sanctity".

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:34 pm 

There was never anything particularly sacred about marriage, as far as I'm concerned, especially considering that many cultures used to arrange them without either the bride's or the groom's consent. Well, some still do it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:35 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
I'm also surprised at the number of my peers getting engaged/married, and not even the "short-sighted/irresponsible" types; there are quite a few well-off couples who got engaged toward the end of college and married at the end. Even if you're set in terms of money/academics, marrying in the 20-22 range just seems too early since there's still so much that could change in terms of life plans, jobs, etc...I broke up with a long-term gf (who had been hinting she'd be interested in getting married after college) my senior year because she was dead-set on moving close to her family in the ass-end of the state after graduating, which would have been utter shite for me in terms of finding a job in my field.

This one girl I know just got to college two semesters ago and is marrying her boyfriend now, this winter, in the middle of her college career. I doubt most of these types of kids won't be married to the same people in 10 years. They're just asking for a divorce down the line.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:39 pm 

Historically about social status or about societal acceptance of your relationship, nowadays about a financial benefit. Marriage never had much to do with love but in our time it's supposedly all about it, although if two people (or more, I don't give a shit) love each other whatever does marriage even prove? Rituals that have completely lost all basis for their symbolic charge become a farce. A teenager without an income has exactly zero reason to do it (other than religious retardation, that is).
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:54 pm 

I have a friend (it's true!) who got married a couple weeks after she turned 18 and to nobody's surprise got divorced about six months later. My father always tells me to never get married and never have kids. Seems like wise advice.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Last edited by Thashierthanthou on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:54 pm 

BH's story reminds me of an ex from high school. She was a senior when we dated, and I was a sophomore. She had this "friend," who lived in Alabama, while we dated. I break up with her because she was pretty goddamn crazy (story of my life). Not long after this the kid runs away from home to come up here (Pittsburgh) and proposes. She accepts. The kid goes home after his parents find out where he was, and gets a hell of a grounding for being an idiot. Anyway, not more than a month later she completely calls it off and gives the kid a bunch of shit via Facebook, whom I actually felt bad for at this point.

Finally checked out Merciless. The Awakening fucking rules so hard.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:03 pm 

So I could take acid for the first time tonight, and probably will, wanted to try it for years. Good idea?

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:12 pm 

Yes, it is a good idea. A very good one, in fact.

Thashierthanthou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:18 pm 

Listen to Portal and tell us what it tastes like.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:30 pm 

Thashierthanthou wrote:
I have a friend (it's true!) who got married a couple weeks after she turned 18 and to nobody's surprise got divorced about six months later. My father always tells me to never get married and never have kids. Seems like wise advice.

I had a classmate who got pregnant and married when she was 15 years old. Her "husband" disappeared after some months and she had to quit school to care of the kid.
She ruined her life because she couldn't control her lust for dicks

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:55 pm 

Almost got read for marriage once...ring shopping and shit. Fell apart, as things do. Mostly my fault...ALAS, POOR YORRICK!

Also, Marag, that's an odd way of saying someone had unprotected sex...patriarchal and bizarre.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:05 pm 

My mom got married to my dad when she was 18, and had me when she was 20 (my dad is three years older, so 21 and 23 respectively). Granted they did divorce seven years and two kids after me, so I realize they aren't the best example, but the middle brother and myself turned out okay, while the youngest brother has run ins with the law, been expelled from school, caught with drugs, et cetera. We all still see our dad plenty though, so it isn't like we grew up without a father figure (we see him more frequently when we get old enough to have the freedom to drive ourselves wherever). So basically my point is that young marriage and children doesn't always lead to doom, but also my parents weren't 16 and my brother who wasn't even a year old when my parents split turned out to be a problem child so interpret that how you will.

EDIT: I should also point out that my parents had been dating for about four years before they got married, which gives them a total of 13 years together before it failed, considerably better than my cousin here who got engaged after three weeks and has never had a relationship last longer than four months.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:18 pm 

My parents started to date when dad was 19 and mum was 17. They even knew eachother before that time. Now, 29 years later they're still together. Pretty sick when I think about it.

EDIT: I know, no negative story here. But hey, let's talk about the good things instead! :beer:

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:07 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
That story was pretty worthy of a facepalm or two. The worst part is that if a girl hasn't matured by her late teens, she never will.

Not necessarily true, and 16 isn't really late teens anyway. My mindset at that age makes me cringe now; I though I was the coolest just because I smoked weed, I believed in extreme left-wing politics and I hung out with street trash types. I know a lot of people who were idiots at that age but now are completely different, but then again I know quite a few people like that who are still idiots.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:25 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

Also, Marag, that's an odd way of saying someone had unprotected sex...patriarchal and bizarre.

It was not a way to say she had unprotected sex, it was a way to say she was a dumb slut because that's what she was

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:26 pm 

Quote:
Not necessarily true, and 16 isn't really late teens anyway. My mindset at that age makes me cringe now; I though I was the coolest just because I smoked weed, I believed in extreme left-wing politics and I hung out with street trash types. I know a lot of people who were idiots at that age but now are completely different, but then again I know quite a few people like that who are still idiots.

I cringe at some of the things I thought months ago, let alone years. Every time I find out something fundamental I didn't previously know about the world, and how its wheels turn, I find it extremely odd looking back to a time when I didn't know that.

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:35 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
You could sharpen daggers on those pecs. I know this because I do it with my own.

I bet he puts his chewing tobacco snugly underneath his eyelids.

Lol

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:38 pm 

Marag wrote:
PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

It was not a way to say she had unprotected sex, it was a way to say she was a dumb slut because that's what she was

Cool down on the machismo, babe.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:54 pm 

Marag wrote:
it was a way to say she was a dumb slut because that's what she was

Rule no. 4134: Never call a woman a slut or whore and be serious; >95% of the possible sane interpretations of such a statement contain the word sexism.

Thashierthanthou wrote:
My father always tells me to never get married and never have kids.

Your father might also be trying to tell you something else with that. :|

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:01 pm 

Marag wrote:
She ruined her life because she couldn't control her lust for dicks

She had a penis addiction.

Somehow I think the Internet has a penis addiction. Or at least the animators Oney and Psychicpebbles. There's a penis in almost every cartoon they draw. Like in Dragonzball P the door to Vegeta's spaceship is a penis shape, and one of the Dragonballs in the beginning has penises instead of stars. Then there is that kid in Superbad that admits to having an uncontrollable desire to draw penises. It got so bad that he wasn't allowed to eat penis shaped foods, which, according to him, were "the best kinds".

Some guys have boob addictions.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Last edited by Goatfangs on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:02 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:

it's been about 3/4 of an hour and nothing's happened >:(

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:07 pm 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

it's been about 3/4 of an hour and nothing's happened >:(

Just wait until your bedsheet jumps off the bed and ties itself in a knot.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Thashierthanthou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:15 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Thashierthanthou wrote:
My father always tells me to never get married and never have kids.

Your father might also be trying to tell you something else with that. :|

He resents my older brother, not me.
More importantly, more people need to jam Angelus Apatrida.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zce36m40yg

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:28 pm 

BastardHead wrote:

would welcome that over the nothing which has happened.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:30 pm 

Take a few more tabs then. It's the only logical solution.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:34 pm 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

would welcome that over the nothing which has happened.

Got bunk shit maybe? Or maybe you got a research chemical sold as "lsd". Most "lsd" nowadays is just research chemicals like 25i-nbome. 25i-nbome doesn't work if you swallow it, you have to put it under your tongue for like 30 minutes or snort it.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:46 pm 

just something my friend gave me, some tissue ive had under my tongue for over an hour now. He said he hasn't got more, though not sure I'd buy more at £5 a pop for nothing to happen. Fuck this, I'll get a beer, before this argument between me and my housemate about the music we're taking it in turns to put on gets even more heated. Fuck in flames and their faggotty ass solos. But at least it sounds like music rather than "the weird shit you put on!" (the 3rd and the mortal - sophisticated vampires)

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:04 pm 

WOOO! Someone bought a tape! For some reason promotion on this site is never too fruitful, though.

Lol

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:09 pm 

LSD!

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:12 pm 

them being topless went on for too long for me to have gotten to the point of that

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:23 pm 

I'm wondering about the decrease of capitalisation and punctuation in your posts. :lol:

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:16 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Det_Morkettall wrote:
Hahahaha, Antoine isn't scary, but he's pretty cool and it's fun to watch him ban people/lock threads.

I remember Nightgaunt. That guy meant business for sure, as he banned me once for posting more than twice a day. Thankfully, he's no longer around, it seems.

Well, let's not put ALL the blame on him; as I recall you were posting things like "Hey guys, how do I make a Molotov Cocktail! My friend wants to know." :lol:

I think that was the breaking point for Nightgaunt... :oh shit:

Lol

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:20 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Cool down on the machismo, babe.

Sure whatever, just don't let the white knight complex make you all forget that the privilege of being pieces of shit are not only reserved for males

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:27 pm 

The ''White Knight Complex'' :lol: That's so spot on.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:31 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
I'm wondering about the decrease of capitalisation and punctuation in your posts. :lol:

this seems to be the only effect that acid has had on my system oh what an enjoyable and mind altering experience

to be fair, I started drinking, and started feeling really fucking awesome. Like better than normal drinking. So yeah, maybe this wasn't complete shite, even if I didn't get to see a dragon or hallucinate weird shit.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:35 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
It's amazing how you know exactly how she was feeling based off those two sentences. Really, you should be a detective or work for the government or something.

If you weren't being sarcastic, that would be good. There are a lot of common feelings an unfulfilled needs of teens who run away, and there are simple but effective ways for someone can be a mentor to them by reaching out and understanding, even if it is a fairly distant and infrequent involvement. She's your family, however distant, and if you're in contact with her, please try to lend an ear and make sure she knows that there's someone other than her grandmother who knows she has problems but doesn't just think she's dumb. A lot of helping is by listening, understanding, and not directly telling someone, and it doesn't even need to be very often, maybe every week or two check in via facebook/email. It would be much better to write as much as you wrote to her, over two or three weeks, than to tell us how dumb she is.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 710, 711, 712, 713, 714, 715, 716 ... 827  Next