Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:12 pm 

When I first started, it was slow times. It took me roughly three months to learn to play a song that consisted strictly of power chords. Once I got that down, the learning came much quicker. I was BIG time into bands like Lamb of God and The Black Dahlia Murder at the time and was easily playing their stuff about a year into my playing. Nothing crazy, but still pretty cool and moderately intensive.

After you break that first big barrier, playing is fucking awesome. And yeah, I love to tremolo pick. Fun stuff.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:33 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
OpsiusCato wrote:
Lol, Bastardhead's line with the waitress was pretty stupid. It almost beats that kid who claimed that his favourite Running Wild song was "Nancy the Tavern Wench".

Blasphemy. Everyone knows that the best Running Wild song is Black Hand Inn's titletrack.

Fun Fact: The resident Running Wild Fanboy's (me) favorite RW song is actually "White Masque".
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:36 pm 

I haven't really listened to Blazon Stone, now that I think about it. That song tells me that I should, though.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:55 pm 

The more I listen to Blazon Stone, the more I realize it might be my favorite mid-era album. It's got such a great blend of all the melodic metal styles they dabbled in, and has a couple of their catchiest tracks to boot (the aforementioned White Masque, Blazon Stone, Little Big Horn, Slavery, Straight to Hell, and if you get the version with the bonus track, Billy the Kid is awesome too).
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:17 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Fun Fact: The resident Running Wild Fanboy's (me) favorite RW song is actually "White Masque".

Wrong, because I'm the resident Running Wild fanboy, and I say "The Battle of Waterloo".
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:30 pm 

I'm afraid BastardHead and OzzyApu will have to fight till death to solve this issue. I'm sorry, guys, it's in the Pirate code or something.

1, 2, 3 GO!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:56 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
I'm the resident Running Wild fanboy

WAT

You realize we have no choice but to throw down. Three o clock. Flag poles.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:13 am 

:lol: Let the pirate-pun battle commence! Though the only time I actually listen to them is while arguing with some ignorant fool who loudly proclaims that Alestorm are the original metal/rock pirates; happened again just the other week - the dolt hadn't even heard of Running Wild.

failsafeman wrote:
Is it just me or is leaving someone your number (especially on a receipt) a really, REALLY passive-aggressive way of trying to score a date? Like, you're right there, she's right there, why not just ASK her? Maybe she has a boyfriend already, maybe she just lets you down gently, but as long as you're not a boor about it she won't mind. Instead you write the number on your receipt (which she might not even bother looking at the back of) and have to wait around to see if she was impressed enough by your 30 whole seconds of conversation to actually go through the effort of calling YOU and asking YOU out. Plus, if you went as a group, how does she even know for sure whose number it is?? You are literally going out of your way to make it more difficult and impersonal for both of you. It's not some horrible humiliation to politely ask someone out in public and get politely declined; in fact I'd say it makes you look rather more classy if you can be gracious in defeat.

:nods: Very late to the conversation here, but I've just gotta say that I agree with this 100%.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:23 am 

Anyone from here heading to CES or interested about the stuff at CES? http://www.cesweb.org/

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:03 am 

I would put it forward that I'm a bigger Running Wild than Ozzy or BastardHead, but truth be told I'm just happy if they fight one another to the death.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:12 am 

The secret to becoming the biggest Running Wild fan is removal of the competition.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Last edited by inhumanist on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:12 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
I would put it forward that I'm a bigger Running Wild than Ozzy or BastardHead, but truth be told I'm just happy if they fight one another to the death.

I'm no fan of Running Wild, but I'm in agreement with the Scotsman about the fact that no bad can come out of Ozzy and BH fighting each other to the death.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:28 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:

That won't be necessary. Let's just get a tape measure and we'll really see who's the biggest Running Wild fan among you fat fucks. :-P

DeathForBlitzkrieg
A Dead Man's Robe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:46 pm 

I was fed up by all the stuff I currently have to do and so I noted down some concerts I'm likely to attend in the next couple of months. The result really cheered me up!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:50 pm 

Primordial, Angel Witch, Agrypnie? :( Way to make me feel sad! At least, I'm gonna see Enslaved!

DeathForBlitzkrieg
A Dead Man's Robe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:03 pm 

Hah, I'm looking forward to Primordial and Angel Witch the most, so weep a little more. I'm also on an Elder binge right now, gotta love their take on psychedelic doom.

Aszfargoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:05 pm 

DeathForBlitzkrieg wrote:
[Long list of concerts likely to be attended]

Damn it, where do you get all the money for tickets from?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:10 pm 

Bah. The only concert I have to look forward to is some band called Motherboy. But more so because an acquaintance of mine's band, Doomtrooper, is opening. Essentially, they're Reno Nevada's answer to Iskra.

DeathForBlitzkrieg
A Dead Man's Robe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:26 pm 

Aszfargoth wrote:

March won't be easy to afford, but I'll probably skip Arkona and Solstafir, as I've seen both before. I don't buy a lot of merch, usually, mostly just a shirt or one album so I can buy another ticket instead. Where do you get your money from? I do from working part-time besides being a university student. That's the exactly the reason why I'm fed up, by the way, it's all learning, working, learning, no drugs and no girls. So all I have left to cheer for are gigs. :p

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:41 pm 

Haha, Der Weg einer Freiheit is such a dumb band name. Funny everytime I see it. Nice list, though. And quite the busy schedule! Relatively speaking, at least; not even in my concert-going "heydays" did I attend more than one gig in, say, 2-3 months.

DeathForBlitzkrieg
A Dead Man's Robe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:21 pm 

Well, it's not a fixed schedule by any means. I wrote the list, because the search for upcoming gigs yielded more interesting results than I could possibly keep in my head. It's not like there's such a series of amazing bands playing in Vienna each and every month. I can only remember watching two shows in 2012, Ereb Altor and Arkona.

Aszfargoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:25 pm 

DeathForBlitzkrieg wrote:
Aszfargoth wrote:

March won't be easy to afford, but I'll probably skip Arkona and Solstafir, as I've seen both before. I don't buy a lot of merch, usually, mostly just a shirt or one album so I can buy another ticket instead. Where do you get your money from? I do from working part-time besides being a university student. That's the exactly the reason why I'm fed up, by the way, it's all learning, working, learning, no drugs and no girls. So all I have left to cheer for are gigs. :p

I have a part-time employment besides university, too, and even though my general expenses are very low (I hardly buy any luxury goods at all, be it books, records, whathaveyou), I could never even imagine to attend even a third of as many concerts in such a short span of time. Admittedly, I don't get payed much and regular travelling costs drain my budget immensely.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:33 pm 

The only concert I'm excited about currently is also in March, two days before my b-day. Doug Fucking Stanhope! Probably my favorite working comedian, never got to see him live. And our "nice" comedy club closed down recently so he has to perform at the ratty fucked up one which is PERFECT for his material.

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:03 pm 

So not only is Canadian Postage going up in the next month or so, but USPS postage is going up to a RIDICULOUS amount as well. Goddammit lobbyists, just stop.
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35237

Lol

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:05 pm 

Canadian postage too? Canadian postage is already ridiculous...

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:10 pm 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
Canadian postage too? Canadian postage is already ridiculous...

I know, but my change in residency to the US was giving me some hope of more lenient postage costs. That's gone now. Well crud.

I don't understand why people don't just revolt against the government; they're slowly taking away your ability to thrive and do what you wish under the constraints of law by catering to big business. It's pretty evil how they're crushing small trade like distros, pressing plants, printing centers, etc.

Lol

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:21 pm 

I don't think anyone sees inconveniencing black metal distros as a reason to "revolt against the government". :P

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:24 pm 

Kill the system!

That's what you get for being a turncloak, Morket.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:54 pm 

I've been going back and listening to a bunch of stuff I liked in high school - The Chasm, Agent Steel's Alienigma and After Forever's Remagine. My conclusion is that I had good taste in high school...this stuff hits the spot. I've been feeling really burnt out on new discoveries at the moment, so some old stuff is nice again.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:19 pm 

https://www.facebook.com/Blasphegram

New band. Go like it. No music up yet as it's still being written, but go like the page regardless for all that latest update stuff.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:52 pm 

I found this annoyingly addictive. I'm gonna play this a third time now. :aww:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTwGUhr-uKM

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:54 pm 

Just had a look at the gigs I'm likely to go to early this year myself - The only definite so far is Vader. There are also unconfirmed rumblings of a Saint Vitus nature.

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:08 pm 

The new David Bowie single sounds sort of sad. It's almost like Bowie has some sort of terminal illness and he's sending us a message right now.

So instead I'm just listening to Space Oddity.

Lol

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:54 pm 

I could tell my day was going to suck when my client this morning (8 years old by the way), had to be dragged into the courtroom, kicking and screaming, by three Sheriff's deputies.

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:02 pm 

What could an 8 year old do to be in there anyway? Steal candy?

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:21 pm 

Breaking stuff at school then punching and kicking the police officers who respond to the incident.

EDIT: Not saying it's right, just that that's what happened.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:29 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Haha, Der Weg einer Freiheit is such a dumb band name.

In that respect it fits their music perfectly, so eh, I have no problem with it. :)

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:58 pm 

Late to this discussion, but my picks for the best Running Wild songs go to Treasure Island, The Battle of Waterloo, Blazon Stone, and Freewind Rider. Whenever I decide to listen to the band (which is pretty regularly), I usually listen to those four songs before I settle on a full album to play through.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:22 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA

I saw Robin Shou at McDonald's today. I wanted to point at him and yell, "YOUR SOUL IS MIIIINE!" from across the dining room, but I chickened out 'cause I didn't want to get bicycle kicked into the deep fryer.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:29 pm 

One day I was at my McJob at Chuck-E-Cheese silently thanking the gods of capitalism for my $6.25 an hour and paper name-tag when I brought a pizza out for some kids who had saved up their allowance and come for a night of hard partying at the Mouse's house! When the pizza arrived I dropped it on the table and their faces were filled with sadness and anger! "Musta changed the recipe! Ha ha ha!" I said while I walked away, licking my fingers as the kids saw that all the sauce, cheese and toppings had been picked off and eaten leaving nothing but wet bread! One of the kids came up to me and started acting tough because he was the biggest of the group and he tried to act gangsta but attended a christian middle school (props for trying). My face darkened and I loomed over him. "Fuck you gonna do about it punk ass bitch?" Then I rolled up my sleeves, revealing my gang tats! He was shocked because nobody had ever behaved like this to him back in the suburbs! Then I looked up and saw the manager walking by. "Bouncy castle is over that way, kiddos!" Then I skedaddled off into the sunset!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 750, 751, 752, 753, 754, 755, 756 ... 827  Next