Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
tehfoks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:06 pm 

americanholocaust wrote:
Except for christian black metal. Fuck that.

Amen brother. :wink:

Smalley wrote:
If I wanted a better version of something, I certainly wouldn't want it to start smoking crack, it'd get all fucked up and gross.

in_human_form
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:59 pm 

I seem to remember a thread a while back addressing this issue, but refresh my memory. Why would a metalhead listen to a band with lyrics he disagrees with (i.e. Nazism) but not Christian black metal? Is there a clear musical difference there, metalhead prejudice, or what? I haven't listened to any Christian metal, so I don't know too much about it. I'm just curious.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:13 pm 

From what I've gathered most metalheads that listen to that particualr kind of music are either racist themselves, or rather apathetic on the subject.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:52 pm 

Generally it's to do with the idea of Christian black metal being antithesis to what black metal "stands for."

You know, Satan and stuff.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:01 pm 

Yeah, it's both of these ^

I don't care what they say, if you listen to racist music....how can you deny you're racist? At least somewhat? It's not like an intellectual endeavor, you're listening to it for entertainment.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:03 pm 

I take it Nokturnal Mortum doesn't count? I love me some Goat Horns and Voice of Steel but when it comes to the blantantly racist stuff like NeShit then I'm done. It's lyrics and intent over music, correct?
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:06 pm 

Been watching Six Feet Under lately. Pretty enjoyable show.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:06 pm 

Well, yeah essentially, I just can't see someone listening to Slave Whipping Blasphemy actually not being racist.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:08 pm 

I can just imagine a band doing for racism what Ghost did for satanism coming along. Kill all the black people la la la la in this house of hattteeee.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:10 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

I don't care what they say, if you listen to racist music....how can you deny you're racist? At least somewhat? It's not like an intellectual endeavor, you're listening to it for entertainment.

Uhh, listening to ideological music does not mean you support that ideology, for example listening to Trouble does not make me a christian...

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:11 pm 

Pretty much every Christian metal band I've heard was insanely shitty, with a few exceptions being mediocre at best.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:13 pm 

Cage, Vengeance Rising, and Deliverance are the first to come to mind as quality Christian bands.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:14 pm 

By the way of NeChrist, what does that say on the cover? Hexpucmb? or something? Or is that "NeChrist" is another language?
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:15 pm 

Seventh Angel is a horribly underrated Christian thrash band.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21VM61kN ... re=related

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:18 pm 

Oh yeah I forgot about Seventh Angel. Good stuff.

Unifying_Disorder
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:21 pm 

Numerator_41 wrote:
Pretty much every Christian metal band I've heard was insanely shitty, with a few exceptions being mediocre at best.

I guess you've never heard Trouble then.

Thashierthanthou wrote:
Seventh Angel is a horribly underrated Christian thrash band.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21VM61kN ... re=related

Also a good band, that name didn't cross my mind.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:27 pm 

Numerator_41 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1vM-w8z6D0 Clearly you've never heard The Jesus Metal Explosion!

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:32 pm 

Byrain wrote:
PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

Uhh, listening to ideological music does not mean you support that ideology, for example listening to Trouble does not make me a christian...

No, listening to music that has an ideology does not entail you are part of said ideology, listening to an ideological music is different. I'm not saying listening to Jars of Clay instantly makes you a Christian, but it does show that you have a tacit agreement or at least no problem with their message. Trouble is not a "Christian" band, they are a band with Christian themes, whereas Jars of Clay is a Christian band. Same can be said for like Nokturnal Mortum vs Slave Whipping Blasphemy.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:44 pm 

I disagree. What if a band wrote a song called "Niggers Are Fucking Stupid" and it had an insanely catchy, mean riff? What if I really like that riff? Should I not listen to it just because I dont agree with it? Fuck it, I want my riffs, I dont care about lyrics nearly as much as everything else anyway!
Hehe, foreskins.

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:55 pm 

I just don't turn to musicians' and artists' political and spiritual opinions as concrete serious suggestions. Their opinion is no different nor more valid than anyone else's. And I believe a person is entitled as a human being to be vocal about their thoughts and ideals, that doesn't mean I have to agree with it all. So why take it seriously?

My Ebay Store

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:58 pm 

Pretty much. Dave Mustaine being an insane religious bigot does not make early Megadeth less awesome to me.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:13 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Does anyone else find themselves getting emotionally sad as certain albums end? I have no idea why, but Devourment's Molesting the Decapitated makes me feel really, really bummed whenever I'm listening to the whole thing and the closing track is near its end.

Heh, sometimes. If it's a good album it sucks that it has to end. Good thing is that I can always start it again if I want to.

americanholocaust wrote:
Except for christian black metal. Fuck that.

Antestor's The Forsaken is pretty cool, though.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

PeachPit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:23 pm 

Crick wrote:
I disagree. What if a band wrote a song called "Niggers Are Fucking Stupid" and it had an insanely catchy, mean riff? What if I really like that riff? Should I not listen to it just because I dont agree with it? Fuck it, I want my riffs, I dont care about lyrics nearly as much as everything else anyway!

If I found out tomorrow that my favourite album had lyrics pertaining to hardcore racism and stuff, I am not sure I could enjoy the album anymore. Call me a poseur, but I generally subscribe to a band's total product, and the lyrics are a part of that for me.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:25 pm 

I have concluded that I like slow, massive riffs or really fast palm muted riffs because I just like the sound of a distorted guitar. The more you can milk a really nice, visceral sound from one the better. I could probably listen to someone hit two notes over and over if they had a nasty enough guitar tone. Really textural songs are awesome as well.

Quote:
If I found out tomorrow that my favourite album had lyrics pertaining to hardcore racism and stuff, I am not sure I could enjoy the album anymore. Call me a poseur, but I generally subscribe to a band's total product, and the lyrics are a part of that for me.

It's different if it's your favorite album. But if its just some band I randomly found that didnt hide their racist agenda and just had enjoyable musicianship, I'm prepared to just ignore their cause for the riffs. Again, if anything, ignoring the cause the band is singing about is probably a bigger fuck you than just not listening anyway.
Hehe, foreskins.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:32 pm 

"Niggers Are Fucking Stupid" sounds like an Anal Cunt track.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:34 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
No, listening to music that has an ideology does not entail you are part of said ideology, listening to an ideological music is different. I'm not saying listening to Jars of Clay instantly makes you a Christian, but it does show that you have a tacit agreement or at least no problem with their message. Trouble is not a "Christian" band, they are a band with Christian themes, whereas Jars of Clay is a Christian band. Same can be said for like Nokturnal Mortum vs Slave Whipping Blasphemy.

Yeah, agreed.

I listened to Slave Whipping Blasphemy a few years back after realizing that I had exhausted the shock value in metal, aside from blatant racism. I was a bit relieved to find that Slave Whipping Blasphemy fucking sucks. :lol:

Last edited by newp on Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:37 pm 

There really aren't too many NS/racist bands that are particularly decent either.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:46 pm 

I like Slave Whipping Blasphemy quite a bit, actually. One of the first obscure bands I got into as a youngster.

gradymayhem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:51 pm 

Numerator_41 wrote:
There really aren't too many NS/racist bands that are particularly decent either.

Are you kidding? NSBM has so many great bands. The genre practically has it's own sound.
We'll bathe tonight
Post metal on my facebook! http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/prof ... 1698891497 I'm formerly defyexistance btw

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:54 pm 

A sound that I'm really not a fan of, then.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:56 pm 

Anybody watch the Republican Debates earlier in the week? Man, I do not want Rick Santorum to be President. That guy doesn't look the least bit capable of making a good decision. Ron Paul I enjoy and he is pretty much just the entertainment act to give those events some color and I love his takes but he is not President material at all. I'll be voting for Mitt all the way. His business approach to government leadership and his almost Nixon-ian demeanor may cost him the nod but the man is a great problem solver and I hope he takes Michigan on Tuesday. I'm not sure it matters who wins the GOP since I think President Obama will almost certainly be re-elected.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:15 pm 

Numerator_41 wrote:
"Niggers Are Fucking Stupid" sounds like an Anal Cunt track.

Haha. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:17 pm 

If the lyrics are blatantly racist, and you have no qualms about it, then you are agreeing with their ideology. As for myself, if the racism is subtle or hidden I can look past it, granted the music is good. The same can be said for Christian bands.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:26 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
If the lyrics are blatantly racist, and you have no qualms about it, then you are agreeing with their ideology.

Would you argue that the same can be said for bands like Cannibal Corpse? If you like them, you're agreeing to their ideology of murder, rape, mutilation, etc.?

ZarathustraHead wrote:

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:33 pm 

^^ That's a pretty concrete view you've got there, I don't know about the rest of you, but I've always been about the music. Lyrics, ideology, these things I barely pay attention to.

Also, I've been teaching myself how to use IRC, so for amusement I set up a channel on "server irc.esper.net" called #Thepub. I'm pretty new to this, so I'd be gratified if anybody who feels like it would see if they can connect to it.

last.fm

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:36 pm 

gradymayhem wrote:
Are you kidding? NSBM has so many great bands. The genre practically has it's own sound.

If by "the genre practically has its own sound", you mean "The genre usually sucks to an extent unseen before because it's more often than not simply a cheap musical vessel for neo-Nazis to use to spread their message, and as a result usually ends up being little more than very shoddy, half-assed songs that were composed overnight so as to get the message of ARYAN SUPERIORITY out as soon as possible", then yeah, it has a really unique sound.
volutetheswarth wrote:
If the lyrics are blatantly racist, and you have no qualms about it, then you are agreeing with their ideology.

I'm not following this. If I'm able to listen to music that ideologically clashes with my beliefs because I don't see it possibly influencing me, I'm suddenly supporting their cause? I think you're confusing agreement with apathy.

Last edited by MalignantThrone on Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:36 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Just because someone listens to I.N.F.A.N.T.R.Y. or something doesn't mean they go out coon bashin' every night.

DemonHellSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:43 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:

That's a lot like how religious folks will tell you not to listen to non religious music, because it automatically corrupts you. I.E. dogma.

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:48 pm 

Listening to national socialist metal makes a person no more nazi than listening to gangster rap makes them a gangster. Debate that.

My Ebay Store

Unifying_Disorder
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:50 pm 

americanholocaust wrote:
Listening to national socialist metal makes a person no more nazi than listening to gangster rap makes them a gangster. Debate that.

I'm totally making assumptions, but I think gangsta rap is supposed to be more of a musical memoir, of the experiences that the rapper has had living in the ghetto. Nazi bands however, are more of a "You should do this, you should do that", and as far as I know, they're entirely serious about it.

Last edited by Unifying_Disorder on Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277 ... 827  Next