Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:15 pm 

Anyone here frequent lesser known distros that have a massive stock, I don't mean the usual mentions of the guys we buy from all the time (NWN, The end, Hells headbangers) but distros like Elegy records, Deathgasm, Sentinel steel, Abyss records, and Regimental but get very few orders. Preferably in the US, I didn't think this was worth its own thread.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:50 pm 

Veracs wrote:
Anyone here frequent lesser known distros that have a massive stock, I don't mean the usual mentions of the guys we buy from all the time (NWN, The end, Hells headbangers) but distros like Elegy records, Deathgasm, Sentinel steel, Abyss records, and Regimental but get very few orders. Preferably in the US, I didn't think this was worth its own thread.

Ominous Domain has, in my opinion, a pretty large stock and is one of my favorite to order from.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:24 am 

^ Got them too, not a bad distro.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:51 am 

Dark Descent Records. They're probably better known as a label (mainly old school revival-type death metal, some black and doom; pretty decent stuff, overall), but they've also got a very good general stock section.

Starmere, I'm listening to 'Antithesis of Light' right now ('Atra Mors' will follow); on an doom kick, too. I was planning on comparing it to Quietus again, but my copy of the latter hasn't arrived yet... damn distros who ship every single thing you order separately. I mean, I'm glad that I don't have to wait forever because one item is out of stock, but getting a dozen separate tiny packages over a month isn't that great, either; the postman is starting to chuckle every time something new arrives. Not to speak of the amount of superfluous packaging.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:19 am 

Warlord Clothing have a great selection of shirts. I'm thinking of ordering one, but would rather save my money for traveling over winter break.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:33 am 

Calusari wrote:
damn distros who ship every single thing you order separately. ...Not to speak of the amount of superfluous packaging.

:scratch: The hell? Glad I've never come across that. "What we lack in efficiency we make up for in bubble wrap!"

Enjoying The Evokening... I'd say one of the biggest differences between Antithesis and Quietus is that on the latter they hadn't yet brought about that distinctive forefront single-note plucking guitar style that gives their later albums a more unique sound. Otherwise it's more or less just more of the same sort of goodness. Going to go over A Caress of the Void and Embrace the Emptiness in the next couple days. I don't recall the former being particularly strong in comparison to their other latter-day albums, but then again I was wrong in my estimation of Quietus, so we'll see. Casual listening can be dangerous in that sense; makes you pass over stuff that deserves more attention sometimes.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:39 am 

Veracs wrote:

Moribund Cult are worth noting.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:46 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Enjoying The Evokening... I'd say one of the biggest differences between Antithesis and Quietus is that on the latter they hadn't yet brought about that distinctive forefront single-note plucking guitar style that gives their later albums a more unique sound. Otherwise it's more or less just more of the same sort of goodness. Going to go over A Caress of the Void and Embrace the Emptiness in the next couple days. I don't recall the former being particularly strong in comparison to their other latter-day albums, but then again I was wrong in my estimation of Quietus, so we'll see. Casual listening can be dangerous in that sense; makes you pass over stuff that deserves more attention sometimes.

I listened to 'Embrace the Emptiness' yesterday; while I do love it, it doesn't quite grab me by the throat to the extent that 'Antithesis' or 'Quietus' do. Then again, I had just finished Mournful Congregation's 'The June Frost', so was in a slightly different funereal mood.

I hadn't noticed that difference re the single-note plucking before now, but you're right; that style is really quite prominent on 'Atra Mors', which I'm playing now. That was one album I'd really overlooked when I was going through Evoken's discography previously; it really is far, far better than I'd thought. One of these days - when all the albums have arrived; dammit! - I'll go through them in chronological order; should be interesting to see how the sound evolves from record to record.

Edit: 'An Extrinsic Divide'... wow. Just, wow. Has also led me to discover that I can windmill with headphones on.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:20 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Moribund Cult are worth noting.

They were doing open interviews for internships when I was living in Washington but I would have had to move to Port Orchard. Would've been cool working on the same label Drawn and Quartered is on though.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:35 am 

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is still incredible.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:14 am 

Jesus Christ I'm fed up with my ISP. Sometimes certain websites don't load while others do perfectly fine. More often than not I get kicked from video game servers for a high ping, and if I don't get kicked I suffer extreme lag regardless.

Man, if they weren't the only isp in town...

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:05 am 

Do you have any alternative ISPs? For example: in my area, it's CenturyLink or the highway. And not the digital kind.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:50 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Do you have any alternative ISPs? For example: in my area, it's CenturyLink or the highway. And not the digital kind.

Quote:
Man, if they weren't the only isp in town...

Like I said. Verizon is trying to get the fuck up outta here(and are no longer taking new customers in the area), and we've had qualms with At&t in the past and no longer trust them. That's what really sucks about living in a rural community, there aren't very many options for what you want :/

edit: after disconnecting my media server it seems to be running better, although online gaming is still pretty rough. I'm gonna have to figure that out later.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:01 am 

Apparently, I don't have eyes.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:48 am 

darkeningday wrote:

There's a custom title for you. "Doesn't have eyes"

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:07 am 

Wilytank wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

There's a custom title for you. "Doesn't have eyes"

I like "Chief No Eyes" better. Has a ring to it.

BottomFeeder1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:09 am 

Metentoine, locking threads based on what's offensive to your personal taste and leaving a snide comments with the wit of a dullard before immediately locking the thread will NOT contribute to you losing your virginity before the age of thirty. Those comments are cheap shots, like a coward sucker punching someone in their sleep and then running away before confrontation. Try rockabilly

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:50 am 

BottomFeeder1 wrote:
Metentoine, locking threads based on what's offensive to your personal taste and leaving a snide comments with the wit of a dullard before immediately locking the thread will NOT contribute to you losing your virginity before the age of thirty. Those comments are cheap shots, like a coward sucker punching someone in their sleep and then running away before confrontation. Try rockabilly

Source? I'm just curious as to the actual situation.

Antoine is just a mod, man. Sometimes he has to lock threads because the conversation doesn't work or because it doesn't fit the subforum it's posted in. He locked the Post-Hardcore thread that I posted the other day, but that was more or less out of necessity, as there was already a Hardcore thread in existence, and the Post Hardcore thread wasn't yielding lots of conversation. All in the name of efficiency, man.

So, what next album should I delve into? I feel as if my exploration into heavy metal has stagnated and I'm weening off of 60's Psychedelic Rock right now.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:52 am 

You just listened to Blasphemy right? What have you been listening to?

Just listen to Pink by Boris if you haven't yet.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:59 am 

I have yet to listen to Blasphemy, but I'm going to have a look at Fallen Angel of Doom tonight, I think. That and I'll go ahead and get some more Manila Road.

And I shall do so! I think perhaps I should give a listen to some more Eyehategod and High on Fire as well. Rush is a good idea as well I suppose. Crap, I think I need to make a list. I'm not sure why, but my interest in looking into albums has just wandered away. I can't say I'm too pleased about it, however, so perhaps it's time to fix it.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:01 pm 

Thanks for caring about my virginity, it's appreciated. Next time try to spell my name right though. Also instead of posting a confrontionnal comment in the FFA, you could PM me 'cause I don't even know what you're talking and I don't lock threads based on what I like or not and I don't ban people because I don't like them (example: you're not banned). Cool off.

Mark: you should check the occult rock scene (The Devil's Blood, Graveyard, Year of the Goat, Blood Ceremony). Also check Astra and Circle (Finland). If you're just discovering Rush, you're late, boy!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:04 pm 

I've found that whenever I'm unsure of what to spin next Don't Break the Oath is the correct choice.

It kind of sounds like you never listen to the same album twice though. Just pull out a few of your all-time favorites and sink into em!

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:10 pm 

ABHORRENCE. HAS. REUNITED. *gasps for breath*

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:19 pm 

You can wait on checking out Rush :p it's ok.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:25 pm 

Razakel wrote:

Going to see them at Tuska.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:28 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Mark: you should check the occult rock scene (The Devil's Blood, Graveyard, Year of the Goat, Blood Ceremony). Also check Astra and Circle (Finland). If you're just discovering Rush, you're late, boy!

All of this. Especially Devil's Blood and Blood Ceremony are fantastic. I'm upset I had to miss TBD when they were in my area, 'cause I heard they kick ass live. But yeah, Good recs, Metantoine. Listening to Blood Ceremony right now, actually.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:34 pm 

They're gonna be playing in Montréal with Royal Thunder in February, I thought it was a tour but apparently, it's not!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:51 pm 

Well, my furnace isn't working. It's not problem though because it isn't -15 outside and my landlord is very helpful. Oh wait...

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:56 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
Well, my furnace isn't working. It's not problem though because it isn't -15 outside and my landlord is very helpful. Oh wait...

That really sucks. It has happened to me and I learned how to fix it (though there's no landlord involved, so it's be my expense anyway). You would be amazed by how much information there is online and how easy it is to fix a lot of things.

Meanwhile, remember that you can heat your home with your oven, and a computer can heat a small room respectably if the door is closed. Perhaps it's not enough to counter -15, but it'll at least be more pleasant.

Aszfargoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:02 pm 

Razakel wrote:

I do hope that this means good news. Purtenance's comeback album was upsettingly worthless, and I would've preferred to have had more Purtenance goodness instead.

Last edited by Aszfargoth on Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:16 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
That really sucks. It has happened to me and I learned how to fix it (though there's no landlord involved, so it's be my expense anyway). You would be amazed by how much information there is online and how easy it is to fix a lot of things.

Meanwhile, remember that you can heat your home with your oven, and a computer can heat a small room respectably if the door is closed. Perhaps it's not enough to counter -15, but it'll at least be more pleasant.

It's not bad right now but I suspect as the day goes on and the house loses more heat I'll start to notice it. As for fixing the furnace, I'm crap with handy man stuff but I'm doing my best to learn since my landlord is useless. For now I've got a contractor friend coming by to take a look at it with me, we'll go from there.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:19 pm 

"Metal is extreme, and in many ways extremely ridiculous"

Just read a Fenriz Interview, and this line struck me as the sort of thing which sets Fenriz apart as a guy who knows really knows the score - sort of able to step outside being a fan of the music for a moment.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:01 pm 

iAm wrote:
Warlord Clothing have a great selection of shirts. I'm thinking of ordering one, but would rather save my money for traveling over winter break.

Don't buy from Warlord their shirts fade very fast. Not very good imo.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:06 pm 

Napero wrote:
Razakel wrote:

Going to see them at Tuska.

Fuck, man. I'm traveling around Europe next summer and I'm definitely hitting Finland but I don't think I'll be there until at least mid-July... Also hitting Brutal Assault and Wacken so a third festival just doesn't look in the cards. My fingers are tightly crossed that they'll announce more shows in the summer. God dammit I need to see them.

Tuska's line up is looking pretty sick eh, Napero?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:07 pm 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
iAm wrote:

Don't buy from Warlord their shirts fade very fast. Not very good imo.

The print, or the color of the shirts? What type of shirts do they use?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:16 pm 

I've got three shirts (Insect Warfare, Assuck, Unholy Grave) from Warlord...had 'em going on 3 or 4 years now I believe. Mine haven't even begun to fade, and I wear the Insect Warfare one weekly. I don't know if every shirt they sell comes from the same manufacturer though, so there may be huge gaps in quality from one to the next.

I've been spinning my entire Heavy/Speed/Power music folder at work on shuffle which is something I never used to do. It's pretty engrossing and definitely gives me a look at some stuff I've been neglecting. I just heard Motorhead's "Just Cos You Got The Power" for the first time...I have to stop ignoring bonus tracks, that would have been the best song on Rock n' Roll.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:24 pm 

It's actually ten times better live. They slow it down a bit and it becomes a MONSTER.

Instead of buying shirts from Warlord, you should just order releases from the band Warlord. On that note, does anyone know when Deliver Us is getting a CD release? It's supposed to be out soon.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:27 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
"Metal is extreme, and in many ways extremely ridiculous"

Just read a Fenriz Interview, and this line struck me as the sort of thing which sets Fenriz apart as a guy who knows really knows the score - sort of able to step outside being a fan of the music for a moment.

He isn't that far off the mark, really. The ridiculousness (or the "over the top" factor, to use a less insulting term) is a big part of the appeal though. I think metal would be really boring without all of its demons, sorcerers, blast beats, and absurdly high pitched singers, among other things.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:28 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
It's actually ten times better live. They slow it down a bit and it becomes a MONSTER.

Mmmmmm, I would love to hear that. I was just telling Jeremy I think this song may have the potential to "out swagger" the original version of Iron Horse/Born to Lose.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:38 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I've got three shirts (Insect Warfare, Assuck, Unholy Grave) from Warlord...had 'em going on 3 or 4 years now I believe. Mine haven't even begun to fade, and I wear the Insect Warfare one weekly. I don't know if every shirt they sell comes from the same manufacturer though, so there may be huge gaps in quality from one to the next.

I've been spinning my entire Heavy/Speed/Power music folder at work on shuffle which is something I never used to do. It's pretty engrossing and definitely gives me a look at some stuff I've been neglecting. I just heard Motorhead's "Just Cos You Got The Power" for the first time...I have to stop ignoring bonus tracks, that would have been the best song on Rock n' Roll.

I didnt even know they were active still. It looks like their site hasn't been updated in years.

Under_Starmere wrote:

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 703, 704, 705, 706, 707, 708, 709 ... 827  Next