Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:18 am 

Ok, there was some buzz generated in the Metal Discussion forum that could be expanded upon quite easily. I happen to be a huge fan myself, thanks to my dad who got me into these movies when I was about 8 years old, and have been basically hooked ever since. I've read tons of the books, including most of the reference books they've made, and played a lot of the games as well. Anyone one else really into Star Wars?

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:19 am 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
Anyone one else really into Star Wars?

Yeah, me.

I've seen most of the movies and series, except for the two Ewoks movies, and the Ewoks animated show. I've seen two episodes of the latter and it was unbearable.

I've seen the Droids animated show and it was pretty dumb, but pretty funny at that, good entertainment. Of course I've seen the Star Wars Holiday Special, and it was atrocious, but as a Star Wars fan you just gotta have seen it, it's a must, a cult classic simply for how terrible it is.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:28 am 

Of course! Plus, that's where Boba Fett made his debut. I have two actual animation cells from the Ewoks TV show. Apparently I was in some excluse fan club i never joined and received it in the mail, then they sent me [i]another{/i] about a month later. it must have been one hell of a club!

Anyone pissed over how they've edited the OSWT (original star wars trilogy)? Like Adding Hayden Christensen into RTOTJ and dubbing over Boba Fett's voice? That stuff pissed me off.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:26 am 

Why was this thread not started by Wedge_Antilles? :nono:

I can't categorize myself as a Star Wars fanboy, as I kind of despise all the material that's come out since the 80s, but when I was a little kid I was really obsessed with the original trilogy, and experienced a whole sort of rediscovery of it when I was in my late teens/early twenties. That rediscovery was pretty awesome, actually. I feel like I appreciated the films even more as an older lad than when I was little. Coming at them from a more understanding point of view, as well as a perspective that could take in the full magnitude of how well they were executed on an artistic level, I couldn't really help but be blown away all over again. George Lucas has been a complete retard since around 1978 or so, and I have very little respect for the man himself, but I can only give thanks that he surrounded himself with people that actually DID know what they were doing in the 70s and 80s, people that could actually bring what was good about his vision to life.

Not sure exactly how to proceed from here without devolving into babbling, but suffice it to say that the original trilogy is an amazing and timeless piece of work that I'll always love. What few foibles it has are completely overshadowed by the sheer enjoyment and endless moviemaking wonder it holds, as well as the classic mythic themes it embodies. It's just damn good stuff. Along with Blade Runner and Alien, one of the finest products of an era that will probably never be recaptured.

Oh, and to Gelseth's last comment, yes, fuck everything they've done since the 80s. All the changes, all the updates, it's all garbage. Unnecessary at best, completely damaging at worst. Lucas is an idiot.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:43 am 

I agree with you there. Although the Clone wars TV shows weren't awful. But yeah, he ruined the new trilogy, he ruined the original trilogy with bullshit "updates." Seriously Lucas, you're going to impose Hayden Christensen over Sebastian Shaw was retarded. Especially since they used Anakin from ROTS, in which he's EVIL STILL. And he was in his fifties when he died, so why would he magically turn younger? The only reason Anakin even had a ghost is because he renounced the dark side and embraced the light, becoming a good Jedi Master. So, to recap, it makes no damn sense that they'd use an image that's younger then Anakin’s time of death, and use an image of him from when he was fucking evil! He was wearing his youngling killin' clothes for fuck's sake!

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:49 am 

Yup, big fan. I even named my cat Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Been into SW since I was a wee-un, I’ve got a shit ton of books, pc games, card games, all that jazz. My fanboydom kinda crashed around Attack of the Clones though. It’s mostly unmitigated crap, and even the passable action scenes didn’t really feel like what I loved about Star Wars. Since then I’ve gone back to being an original trilogy purist.

Oh, I did get a super sweet record last month – The Music From Star Wars performed by The Moog Electric Orchestra. It’s amazing. Like, the Imperial March, The Cantina Song, Leia’s Theme performed on moog synths? Fuck yeah!

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:50 am 

Where did you get this? i must own one!

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:52 am 

Red Letter Media reviews of the New Trilogy > the actual movies.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:02 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Red Letter Media reviews of the New Trilogy > the actual movies.

Wow. That's utterly ridiculous. Is it cause of the z0mg speshul ufex?!?

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:07 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
Where did you get this? i must own one!

A friend got it for me at a second hand store, but I think they are pretty cheap on the interwebs.

http://www.discogs.com/Electric-Moog-Or ... ase/476287

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:12 pm 

I'ms definitely getting one of these, thanks. Anyone ever play the d20 RPG? That was some fun times!

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:27 pm 

I've been a fan all my life, although not die hard (I reserve that for Godzilla), I actually enjoy the prequel trilogy and defend them. I'll fully admit they're not classics like the orriginal trilogy and wonder who the fuck thought Hayden Christansen was doing a good job as Anakin (oddly enough I've heard he's done good acting jobs in other films). My view on them though is that if you put them back to back to back and watch the whole story unfold in one long run, it works. That and if you watch the History Channel Special "Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed", it shows a lot of the myth, philosphy and lore the orriginal and prequel trilogy explored and what was meant to represent what, for me it made me respect the films more.

Also, not sure if you guys have heard, but the guy who did Captain America has stated that he wants to do a spin off film of Bobba Fett. I wouldn't mind if the Star Wars Series went this direction, instead of special editions and all that (plus, we'll never get that sequel trilogy), some individual films focusing on characters during certain points in the time line. Bobba Fett, Han Solo, Darth Maul, hell even Vader.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:30 pm 

Those could be neat if lucas kept his greasy green screen fingers out of them. Boba Fett is my favorite character.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:03 pm 

Best thread ever!!!!! Gelsith_alderann
i'm a SW fan too, i still do marathons with my friends at least once a year (basically only the original trilogy). I have loads of SW toys too, unfortunately i used to play with them so they don't worth much today, but hey i had lots of fun.
I had the ewoks figurines, i gave the chief one to my best friend and kept Wicket, that was a nice nerdy gift but it was sentimental to us.

I have a Boba Fett lego figurine on my keychain :)

btw, who loves lego SW?

oh and yeah, those who are on #metal, have seen my Princess Leia white robe costume, it was hilarious. I accept paypal donations to post it here.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:12 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Best thread ever!!!!! Gelsith_alderann
i'm a SW fan too, i still do marathons with my friends at least once a year (basically only the original trilogy). I have loads of SW toys too, unfortunately i used to play with them so they don't worth much today, but hey i had lots of fun.
I had the ewoks figurines, i gave the chief one to my best friend and kept Wicket, that was a nice nerdy gift but it was sentimental to us.

I have a Boba Fett lego figurine on my keychain :)

btw, who loves lego SW?

oh and yeah, those who are on #metal, have seen my Princess Leia white robe costume, it was hilarious. I accept paypal donations to post it here.

Oh, I sure have seen it Metantooine, and I'l love for everyone here to as well ;)

Does anyone else here think Tusken Raiders are one of the coolest aspects about Star Wars? There's almost no info about them at all. No pictures of the without their gear on, no lore even. I once had a book at my library that was full of concept art; they had some really awesome stuff in there, like they had planned for sand people to be a lot more than they were. They're shrouded in total mystery, and I love it.

P.S. Does anyone know when they're planning on releasing deleted scenes from the old movies?

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:22 pm 

I'm a huge fan of the original movies, and some video games, and lore in general I suppose. Naturally I don't give two shits about the new trilogy and consider Episode II literally one of the most unwatchable movies I've ever seen. My favourite is Episode V which is my second favourite movie behind The Big Lebowski. My friend and I actually recently came up with our top 5 Star Wars characters. Here's mine:

1. Darth Vader
2. Han Solo
3. Lando Calrissian
4. (old) Obi Wan-Kenobi
5. Boba Fett

Also, this is a really good, interesting movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1325014/

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:40 pm 

^Good list!
lol "They told me they fixed it....the told me they FIXED it! I TRUSTED THEM!" {chewie growls} "IT'S NOT MY FAULT!"
Yeah, Empire in general is just full of epic stuff, and my favorite lightsaber battle for sure. I have a hard time picking my favorite movie, because to me they all have certian elements that just make it so hard to pick!

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:52 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
Seriously Lucas, you're going to impose Hayden Christensen over Sebastian Shaw was retarded. Especially since they used Anakin from ROTS, in which he's EVIL STILL. And he was in his fifties when he died, so why would he magically turn younger?

Yeah. How are you going to take the time and expense to retcon something in a way that makes it actually make less sense? Again, Lucas is an idiot.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:04 pm 

George Lucas: "I think i'l gain 80lbs and then go destroy my Legacey!"

Anyone ever seen Fanboys?

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:39 pm 

I love the original trilogy to death, but the digital remakes are godawful abominations. Has anyone else heard rumors about a 3-D edition coming out soon? No doubt, it will be horrible.

AppleQueso wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:
I refuse to listen to a genre using an onamatapoeiac descriptor.

Motion to change "Death Metal" to "EEURRRGHHH"

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:42 pm 

KingVold wrote:
I love the original trilogy to death, but the digital remakes are godawful abominations. Has anyone else heard rumors about a 3-D edition coming out soon? No doubt, it will be horrible.

yes, I heard about this last year. I'll PROBABLY go see them anyway, because it's Star Wars, and I have to...:ugh:

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:03 pm 

Nah, fuck 3D movies. I haven't seen one and I never will!

*shakes fist while muttering about 'damn punk kids'*

2conan4u
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:08 pm 

sigh, star wars. love/hate all the way.

great concept with such potential, terrible delivery with too many forehead slapping embarrassing moments to mention in one thread.
the star wars universe itself could be monumental given into the hands of respectful fans with a agenda to make it mind blowingly excellent (lord of the rings delivery)

as i have mentioned before, look at those short video clips from the computer/console games, now that is something else, if 'those' people re-made the movies, i think they could be epic. take the story line and remake the entire film the way they did those short film segments from the games. haha, now that could be so epic.

instead we got jarjar and piss poor light sabre fights that made no sense, like how the emperor is so powerful and awesome with his blade, yet when he fought the group of jedi come to arrest him it was the most sad segment of light sabre fighting on film ever produced. no epic at all, except in the fail department.
han shot first as well !!!
he was a smuggler, a villain of sorts, besides greedo was no lil nice greeny guy either, i mean, his character is expanded on more in the books so people would know that he was a evil little bastard, but just cause movies have to appear a certain way greedo shoots first all of a sudden ??? so terrible the way it looks too, like hans head shifts over like a canadian off south park with the flappy heads while the body remains still aagggghhh

the whole series needs to be redone in a style like beowulf, however given a darker edge and with acutal kinda realistic overtones as if the events are real. and make the light sabre fights appear the way they should appear from such dark lords of power like the computer game people do/did.

/end rant.
who brought this topic up anyways, i feel heated now. haha

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:49 pm 

I love the original trilogy, but the new ones suck. KOTOR is a fun game.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:39 pm 

The original trilogy and KotOR2 are good.

I really don't care about anything else the franchise has produced, except perhaps The Backstroke of the West.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:54 pm 

Probably one of the biggest obsessions of my life, ever since I first saw the 1997 SE Original Trilogy when I was four or five. Grew up watching the prequels in theaters- as much as most fans rag on them, all three films have a place in my heart, although I will say that Attack of the Clones is by far the weakest of the three. Too much of Anakin's hamfisted attempts at love and too much galactic C-SPAN.

The Original Trilogy remains the most consistently flawless trilogy in film history. From the sense of wonder-filled hero's journey of A New Hope, the sheer darkness and lows of Empire, to the epic and emotional (Luke's duel with Vader on the second Death Star anyone?) heights of Return of the Jedi, each film works both by itself and as part of the larger story.

Very big into much of the Expanded Universe. Proud to say that I've seen not only the infamous Holiday Special, but also both Ewok TV movies. Read scores of paperbacks and graphic novels, collected the action figures (I have two bookshelves worth of such and other collectables), and spent innumerable hours playing both KOTOR games.

I'm very interested to see what the future holds for the franchise. I would love to see a live action series (I watched the first Cartoon Network series religously, but aside from the movie, haven't seen much of the more recent series), but would feel a bit more hesitant if a new trilogy was announced. I think the KOTOR games have shown that a epic, engaging original story can work without any Lucas involvement, so I would like to see Lucas take a smaller role, at least as far as writing, with any new films.

I also have to note, as many others have, the sheer iconic, jaw-dropping excellence of John William's score. The fact that he pretty much ushered in the resurgence of quality film scores in Hollywood at the time speaks volumes of it's quality. Pure unabated brilliance.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:17 am 

Oblarg wrote:
I really don't care about anything else the franchise has produced, except perhaps The Backstroke of the West.

Star War The Third Gathers - The Backstroke of the West is amazing. I love how the Jedi Council gets translated to "The Presbyterian Church". :lol:

For those who haven't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpJvBuz6ySs

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:31 am 

Here's the original blog in which Backstroke of the West first appeared. It explains the origin of the mistranslated subtitles and will have you incapacitated with laughter within a few minutes.

http://winterson.com/2009/01/episode-ii ... redux.html

The entirety of the bootleg is up on youtube if anyone wants to watch it. It's truly the best thing the prequel trilogy ever gave us.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:23 am 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Oblarg wrote:

Star War The Third Gathers - The Backstroke of the West is amazing. I love how the Jedi Council gets translated to "The Presbyterian Church". :lol:

For those who haven't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpJvBuz6ySs

Holy shit that was hilarious! :lol:

"DO NOT WANT!!"

My collection

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:26 am 

I watched the three prequel films for the first time just last month. For the most part, I enjoyed them more than I expected I would. If nothing else, they inspired me to watch the original trilogy again (which I have not seen in many years). Even that Jar-Jar creature made me laugh a few times ... partly in disbelief that they would seriously put such a ridiculous character in these films. One of the things that bothered me the most was the casting of that Hayden Christensen guy. He didn't seem to fit at all. I thought Ewan McGregor wasn't bad. I also often enjoyed just looking at the scenery and revisiting old characters like Yoda.

I saw the first Star Wars movies when they were initially released in theaters, and I remember when I was a kid in elementary school how it was a big deal to collect the action figures and accessories. I can tell you those toys were extra expensive too (at least for my family, apparently :grumble: ). Finally, after it wasn't such a craze and some toys were discounted, I scored a "droid factory" for xmas one year, and that was pretty much it ... oh, and before that, I did have a cheesy C3PO Halloween costume; the kind with a printed vinyl smock and flimsy plastic mask. It was an official one though. Might be nice to still have it along with the box.

This isn't saying much, but I picked up "The Ewok Adventure" at a thrift store and watched it last year and I can safely say that it was much harder to sit through than all of the prequels combined :lol:

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:07 pm 

Reid, you're one swell guy.

I remember being like 9 or 10 years old when they released Star Wars legos, and my dad taking me to Wal-Mart at midnight for the unveiling. I had like 90 bucks that I’d saved form birthdays and Christmas, and went to town. Basically the only good way for a 10 to drop 90 bucks of his own money. I bought a Y wing, X wing, and the mock scene where Qui-Gon first meets Darth Maul. Damn good haul.

Wibble23
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:33 pm 

I remember my dad taking me to our local cinema when I was 10 and leaving me there on my own to watch it when it first came out. This reveals two things:-

1) There was a time when you leave small children on their own without worrying if there was a paedophile lurking behind every corner,

and

2) I'm old :old:

Rotten kids!

OldManMetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:56 pm 

Nice thread!

Been a fan since seeing the first of the trilogy as a 5th grader when it came out. Imagine this, just weeks after the film premired, already discussions were going on around school that Vader was burned in a volcano and was possibly Luke's father!

I would love to be able to edit the original trilogy so as to get something that is updated with a more modern look and scenes, but cuts out bullshit like Greedo shooting first. I have (had) a lot of novels, sourcebooks from the RPG as well as a computer file filled with all kinds of stuff i thought was neat to collect.

My favorite character is Darth Bane. The trilogy about him was awesome stuff and made me collect a lot of material on the Sith as i've always identified with their philosophy over that of the Jedi.

Napero wrote:
We can't possibly know. Genetics is my guess, or possibly drinking water that lacks minerals essential to the brain.

2conan4u
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:44 pm 

i feel like dissing the star wars right now mulling it all over. yeesh, what be lucas thinking ?

then i went and read some old sith history and partially lightened up my moods. so han and leia have a kid that turns to the sith side hey ? interesting stuff. did great uncle grandpa luke have to fix that up ?

if someone were to manage finding all the sith holocrons through the ages of sith, you would be a sith god. why has this not happened yet ?

DrFunkenstein
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:52 pm 

I've forgotten far more about Star Wars than any sane person should. Other than the original trilogy, my favourite was KoToR 1 (gave me a similar feeling to the "I am your father" revelation), and the Legacy comic series

2conan4u
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:54 pm 

didn't lucas have any true fan friends when he made the prequels ? some one that would be like 'whoa man, what are you doing ?'

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:28 pm 

KOTOR and the sequal are awesome games and for me, the plot easily trumps anything else in the SW universe barring the original trilogy. One of the reasons is that the writers were able to use the Old Republic as a framework, so there was no need to write a story around a destroyed Death Star or a frozen smuggler. KOTOR 2 is especially epic, and with an extremely dark atmosphere/theme as well, I always listen to Emperor or Anorexia Nervosa while playing it. Character development is the main strength I feel, it has so much more depth than the movies since there is a lot more time to expand on it.

HeWhoIsInTheWater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:33 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
I'ms definitely getting one of these, thanks. Anyone ever play the d20 RPG? That was some fun times!

Still playing that shit. Too bad they stopped printing the saga edition books. Those are fucking awesome. Better than the original Dungeon and Dragons, and all subsequent versions.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:32 am 

Man, I wish I hadn't loaned my KOTOR games to friends and then forgotten who I loaned them to. I played the first one 5+ times but only played the second one 2 or 3 and I can't remember it as well as I'd like to. An Old Republic movie trilogy or something might be pretty awesome as long as George Lucas wasn't allowed anywhere near it. Now I'm enraged that he's gone on to ruin the Indiana Jones series. I'd seriously take Hayden Christensen over Shia LaBeouf any day of the week, and that's saying a LOT!

EDIT: Holy motherfucking shit, I just read that Leonardo DiCaprio auditioned for the role of Anakin but Lucas picked Christensen over him. Lucas' idiocy never ceases to completely baffle me.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:43 am 

Lucas' script still would have destroyed him nonetheless. lol

I really need to play KOTOR, only played 2 ... oddly enough, loved it though.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next