Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
AltarsInGore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:15 pm 

Being Canadian and I would to definitely say Loreena McKennitt! But there are a few psychobilly bands I quite like as well (The Brains, Matadors, Gutter Demons, Alley Dukes, Ray Condo) as well as Industrial like Frontline Assembly/Delerium and Skinny Puppy. Loreena McKennitt stands out the most though.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:40 pm 

The US is home to some of the best music (and an unlimited source of more to come) in my opinion and here are some favorites (no order):

The Olivia Tremor Control
Grouper
of Montreal
Panda Bear
Animal Collective
The Allman Brothers
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Beck
Outkast
Pantha Du Prince
Prince

O.K. I had to stop here after realizing that there is just no way to keep going without making an absurd list, but there's a few.
Oh, and to you Aussies, no Tame Impala??? Ya'll Must be crazy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F2e9fmYL7Y

omniwang
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:49 pm 

Rush for sure.

~Guest 296186
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:08 am 

Hmmmm, I heard a few songs from Shining (the Blackjazz album) and Gåte, and I thought they were pretty cool. I actually don't listen to a whole lot of non-metal bands from Norway, so I might need to start exploring a bit again.

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:32 pm 

Кар-Мэн

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:40 pm 

Last edited by Midnightwards666 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:09 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
That would be Knorkator. I wouldn't call them a metal band though many of their songs use metallic elements. Basically they combine electronic, industrial, metal, rock and countless other things to ridiculously exaggerated, dramatic music, satirizing more or less everyone and everything. The lyrics, normally bordering on the absurd, really play an important role in this, so the concept is mostly lost to anyone who doesn't speak german.

Their concerts are pretty insane too.

whow man, that's cool stuff.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:55 pm 

Glad someone else here likes it :-D
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:57 pm 

Knorkator.... :ugh:

that might've been the worst music ever. Not even exaggerating, that was fucking awful and a waste of time. I feel sorry for you when that's one of your favorites...

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:08 pm 

You are neither entitled to judge this diverse, conceptual band by a single song nor if you don't speak german... :fuck:
But why would I even care about the opinion of the guy who doesn't like thrash metal :-P

But since those are both forms of industrial music in the broadest sense, I'm not surprised.
Speaking of industrial, Einstürzende Neubauten is another german band I'm very fond of.

Last edited by inhumanist on Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:54 pm 

Musically...it was awful. It was like knock-off Rammstein with knock-off played out imagery and the most boring structure ever :(

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:59 pm 

Would it help if I told you that the cliché is actually part of the concept?

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:05 pm 

Honestly? Makes it worse....I've never been a huge of bands that require gnosis or an ironic veil. The longer you have to explain to a pretty damn open minded musical lover how good the band is...the less interested I become. It's nothing against you personally, I just can't ever see myself enjoying it and viewing it as anything other than a waste of time. I just can't get into bands that write intentionally bad songs....unless it's pure noise.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:27 pm 

Nah, it's not intentionally writing bad songs like Anal Cunt or something. It's a caricaturist's approach to music, and there is certainly something cathartic to their clownish industrial pop if nothing else, but I can understand if that's not everyone's beer. Most pop music is offensive to intelligent people because it sells itself as serious art and consequently takes the listener for an idiot.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:38 am 

The_Erlking wrote:

Old Finnish hardcore punk, the best! I am sure you also know Uutuus, Pohjasakka and Destrucktions - my faves.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:00 pm 

I am from Czech Republic but from some reason I always preferred to look outside for foreign bands. But I have some favourites of course. I'd select probably Už jsme Doma, band which plays something like "art punk ska rock"
http://youtu.be/xdJg1P0nI4U
http://youtu.be/5s1gulnQGj4

Alexr1129
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:27 pm 

There's not many that aren't from the UK that I like...

I listen to Muse a lot, and Aphex Twin.
Aphex Twin might not be able to get any further away from metal, and I listen to loads of his stuff.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:24 pm 

Ebba Grön
Imperiet
Eddie Meduza

csehszlovakze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:00 pm 

I don't really listen to neither non-metal bands nor Hungarian music in general but P. Mobil would be the winner for me.

Links to my online presence

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:23 am 

Every Pakistani who grew up in the 90's would agree with me, metal fan or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdjCCnnClJI

Miss that era, happier times.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:12 pm 

Myte wrote:
Hmmmm, I heard a few songs from Shining (the Blackjazz album) and Gåte, and I thought they were pretty cool. I actually don't listen to a whole lot of non-metal bands from Norway, so I might need to start exploring a bit again.

Most younger Norwegians I say it to hate it, but I absolutely love Ole Ivars. Also, Röyksopp are pretty cool.

Logitech225
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:15 pm 

(Portugal)

Ohhh i have one awesome band.
Deolinda, a cross between Folk and Fado

The music is "Um contra o outro" (One against the other)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxv9s3PTIzY
It talks about how kids nowadays spend their time on the bedroom in front of the Pc. The lyrics are delicious, something like this (abstracting) "Hey, get out of this life, leave the races, the wars you win on the games, and come come outside with me because this life you have, no matter how lives you win (in games), it's your who will lose" (i'm not translating xD)

~Guest 295685
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:14 pm 

Misfits, Agnostic Front, Outkast, Alkaline Trio. Joy Division is my favorite non Metal band, but they're from the UK

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:29 pm 

Wet Pussy wrote:
Every Pakistani who grew up in the 90's would agree with me, metal fan or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdjCCnnClJI

Miss that era, happier times.

Thanks for posting this, I checked out several songs by them, I like their music a lot.

I like the 1990s folk rock from Romania which protested against the former communists which came to power. Neither of the main artists, Valeriu Sterian and Cristian Paturca is with us anymore, R.I.P., but their message is still actual.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfxiLxgU8q8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESm-IUKRaB4&feature=channel&list=UL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX-gCMi9iNQ

Caj1
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:38 am 

Off the top of my head, I can think of:
OSI
Tool
Mother Love Bone
Neil Young (yes, he's Canadian, but I'm claiming him. He's lived here long enough, anyway.)

Wellbone
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:43 pm 

The only good band from South Africa would be...Seether.

ravagingthemassacred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:21 pm 

I listen to very little American music compared to how much comes from overseas. on top of that there are even fewer non-metal acts I listen to from here. That said I choose Slipknot, Evanescence, Nine Inch Nails, Misfits, Samhain, 30 Seconds To Mars, Emmy Rossum and Eminem as what I hold dearest from the US. I realize how severely that string of names distorts the impression of my overall musical leanings xD

Eminem was the first music obsession I ever had, so his stuff is largely nostalgia. I strongly dislike a few songs from each album, but my favorite is probably the Marshall Mathers LP. What I like the most is the Slim Shady, insane, comedic stuff. Songs like Kill You, Kim (I don't find this one comedic but believe it to be Eminem's crowning glory), Bad Influence, Who Knew. But I like all his personas/sides. His best most recent song is "my darling" imo.

Emmy Rossum portrayed Christine in the 2004 Phantom of the Opera movie. Her voice is sweet and somewhat charmingly amateur sounding. Her own project is a lovely slightly ambient, honest pop. And of course I love her on the Phantom of the Opera st.

30 Seconds To Mars are a rock band and the second music obsession I ever had. They are huge trend hoppers image wise which is why most people remember them as affiliated with the "emo" craze of the mid 00's. They are also extremely gimmicky with their fanbase marketed as a cult with some unspoken cause, named the Echelon. This gimmick has worked amazingly well haha. Also their use of symbols is pretty pretentious. Musically, they are excellent for what they do (catchy, non generic pop rock). I think if most people gave the first album a listen they would be a little taken aback, it's almost Prog.

Misfits need no intro. Punk isn't my thing but somehow this band just gets me. I chalk it up to everything Glenn touches is absolutely golden. Samhain is of course Danzig before the name change. I would include Danzig as a non metal American favorite but MA considers it metal.

Nine inch Nails also needs no intro. However I do think he's underappreciated. The darkness and emotional realness of his music is so intimate, relatable, genuine. My favorite album is the live album Still (and all that could have been).

As for Evanescence, they too are a bit misunderstood imo; defined by "Bring me to life" which does not capture their spirit well at all. Give "lacrymosa" a listen for a better representative. Amy Lee's voice is beautiful and convincing and their songs often give me shivers down my spine heh. Overall I find them to be unique, undeservedly looked down upon (mostly due to the perception of their fanbase it seems) and emotionally dramatic without being histrionic. Somewhat surprisingly they are not a nostalgic thing for me; only have been a proper fan for a few months in fact.

Lastly, Slipknot, my main gateway to metal. personally I consider Slipknot MA-worthy by their second album Iowa, but as I'm going by the site's qualifications I include them here. They're just some great vicious, energetic, unabashedly angsty music. On the first two albums at least. I don't care for them much thus after.

Last edited by ravagingthemassacred on Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ravagingthemassacred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:39 pm 

Accidental post.

PostMetalActivist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:46 am 

The post above me is fucking awful. Slipknot and Evanescnse?(don't care how it's spelled) Your taste couldn't be worse...

Favorite non metal band is probably Mars Volta, Swans, Tool, and probably hundreds more considering I like all genres of music, so long as the music itself is good.

WWLD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:05 am 

KoRn and Deftones

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:23 am 

Have to mention Mana Mana as well. Great post-punk-ish hard rock about depression, insanity, taking pills and happy stuff like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T53w3H0aiSA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYmYmtaEm5Q&feature=related
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6