Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:05 am 

T51b wrote:
The Smashing Pumpkins by far. I would be interested to see how many people here honestly cannot find some enjoyment or appreciation in at least one song they have done.

Siamese Dream is worth owning for the production alone.

Mellon Collie... was the first CD i ever bought.

psyote
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:11 pm 

The Radioactive Sago Project. Spoken word act whose influences range from John Coltrane to Black Sabbath to Napalm Death to Manila Sound to 80's Filipino Comedy. Lots of horns and really nasty words of social relevance and sarcasm. The frontman itself is famed for being a poet and a TV journalist via Word of The Lourd.

Enrique Iglesias + blast beats.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:36 am 

Without a doubt: Icehouse. One of their many hits http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gI-xngbtrE

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:02 pm 

For me, British rock is summed up with one band:

Queen!

Freddie Mercury's second solo album Barcelona is fantastic too.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:04 pm 

My favorite band/guy form my country (Norway) must be: Tønes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRm6Dox4 ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91qxPCq_7bE
Enjoy :D
Killer guy.

CoF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:27 pm 

There are only two candidates for me in this category. Number one would be Bohren & der Club of Gore, but I know and possess too little of their discography to vote this as a "favorite". So, my choice is Wumpscut (EBM, Industrial by infamous Rudolf Ratzinger), though I could enjoy his work until "Bone Peeler", from then onwards the stuff gets pretty forgettable - probably the result of putting an album out every year. But his early releases like "Bunkertor 7" and "Embryodead" are classic, and I love tracks like "Soylent Green" (samples work better with the German synchro) and "Die In Winter".

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:03 pm 

Here in Perú well there was this incredible rock band named Los Mojarras, they mixed rock with some peruvian rythms like cumbia or chicha or Musica Criolla... They used to make great riffs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QODdixVlVcg
Also ther is a punk-rock band called Los Chabelos : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOpq6PuwWu0, They also mixed their style with clasic rock, ska, ballads and their lyrics are hilarius, for example the song that I pos Its about a dude who got inlove of a Tranny

Exterus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:40 am 

The Hellacopters, without a doubt. A great rock'n'roll band who went from grimy kickass garage rock to fantastic, catchy retroish rock in their later albums.

NewVogueChild
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:09 pm 

Inkshooter wrote:
Anyone from the United Kingdom or United States is pretty much fucked trying to answer this question.

Not really as the UK has had some fantastic non-metal bands.

Having a hard choice between Siouxsie & The Banshees, David Bowie and Eurythmics as my favourite as I like them all pretty much equally.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:59 pm 

Horslips, for their album The Tain, a concept rock album based on one of the Celtic legends of Cuchulainn. Horslips was one of the earlier bands, though not the first, to combine folk elements and instruments with rock.

Some people might possibly be familiar with this song

A close second is Rory Gallagher, and his old band, Taste.

I would actually rate both of these higher than Thin Lizzy, good though they are.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:13 pm 

Exterus wrote:
The Hellacopters, without a doubt. A great rock'n'roll band who went from grimy kickass garage rock to fantastic, catchy retroish rock in their later albums.

With ties to the origins of Swedish death metal too!

Craggzy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:38 pm 

I know they are on the archives but they aren't metal, it has to be Discharge or Doom.

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:33 am 

As I consider Queen METAL AS FUCK, gonna go for The Wildhearts.

Dirty, poppy, punky, rocky, awesome, awesome, awesome band.
Essential albums - PHUQ and the sonic noise speaker destroying wonderment that is Endless Nameless.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:38 am 

NewVogueChild wrote:
Inkshooter wrote:
Anyone from the United Kingdom or United States is pretty much fucked trying to answer this question.

Not really as the UK has had some fantastic non-metal bands.

Having a hard choice between Siouxsie & The Banshees, David Bowie and Eurythmics as my favourite as I like them all pretty much equally.

I think he meant that theres too many from each to pick one

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:26 am 

It's really hard to tell, because although there are many really good non-metal bands/artists in Greece most of them have albums that I really enjoy and albums that I find quite mediocre.
As my favorite I would pick To Plokami Tou Karharia (The shark's tentacle). Their music could be describes as industrial rock and their lyrics are always comical and funny. But although most comical bands rely mostly on the funny lyrics and tend to neglect the music, these guys write really good songs that many of them could easily be very successful, had they "normal" or "well-thought" lyrics. Other than that their lyrics, though they often become vulgar and obscene, are very funny (for those who understand greek at least) and in many cases rise above the usual "immature" young boys fun and become genuinely comical.

And just to be fair (for picking a comedy band) I would like to mention two other really good non-metal albums from greek bands/artists:
1. Trypes (Holes) - Mesa sti nyhta ton allon (in other people's night): Unique and quite popular greek band. Their sound could be described as an evolution of the sound of Gang of Four, that means somewhere around punk, post punk and alternative. This album was their last before they broke up and in my opinion is one level above the rest of their discography.
2. Thanassis Papakonstantinou - Agrypnia (wake/vigil): Outstanding mixture of balkan jazz, avant-garde and elements of greek traditional music with modern greek acoustic music. I don't really like the rest of this artist's discography, which is deeply rooted in the greek traditional music, but I really loved this album as it's so beautiful and unique.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:47 am 

cKy. Theoretically hard rock, they get very close to metal at times, but nobody will definitively admit to it. Their frontman, Deron Miller was a huge Death fan growing up, and he has quite a mind for crafting awesome riffs.

kgerych1995
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:11 pm 

Extreme has to be my favorite non metal band. I even purchased a Washburn N4 (Nuno Bettencourt's signature model) a few weeks ago. Just an all around good band. Kevin

Temnozor13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:16 pm 

Rasputina is my favorite non metal band I love the cello

safarimunk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:51 am 

There is a lot of great non-metal bands from Sweden but my personal favorite is the hardcore band Undergång (doom in English). I have to warn you, if you listen your intestines might implode!

http://underganghc.bandcamp.com/

cjsnow1
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:59 pm 

Way too many to list.

If I has to choose I'd say:
[ROCK]
Metallica
Tool
Godsmack
Mad Season (RIP Layne!)
Pearl Jam
Aiice In Chains
Moby
Suicide Silence
Dog Fashion Disco (Avante-Garde Metal) Are these guys on here?
A couple Slipknot songs
Flyleaf
Red
Tenacious D
Psychostick

[HIP HOP]
Man Parrish
Afrika Bambaataa
Dr. Dre
Eminem
Snoop Dogg
Craig Mack
Biggie Smalls
Aesop Rock
The Dynospectrum
Deep Puddle Dynamics
Bus Driver

[OTHER]
Aphex Twin
Tom Waits
Moby
Flying Lotus
J Dilla
DJ Clarknova
Joe Boyd Vigil
Dieselboy
Soul Coughing

I absolutely love Portishead and Massive Attack but their from the UK sooo..... yeah.

Liberal Shimmering http://last.fm/music/Liberal%20Shimmering/ My Musical project. Finished composing & compiling "Antler Luggage" a few days ago.

cjsnow1
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:13 pm 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
T51b wrote:
The Smashing Pumpkins by far. I would be interested to see how many people here honestly cannot find some enjoyment or appreciation in at least one song they have done.

Siamese Dream is worth owning for the production alone.

Mellon Collie... was the first CD i ever bought.

The Smashing Pumpkins are one of the best bands to come out of the 90's.

Fpqxz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:35 am 

Let's see...so many good groups from the USA to choose from:

Bad Religion: arguably the greatest political punk band of all time (see also, the Dead Kennedys, except BR had greater longevity). Greg Graffin is one of the best lyricists in rock history.

Creedence Clearwater Revival: sure, they seem a bit dated now, but the Fogerty Brothers were incredible songwriters.

Failure: one of the better and more overlooked alternative acts of the 1990s. Personally, I think Ken Andrews and Greg Edwards were better songwriters than Cobain and Grohl ever were. Magnified and and Fantastic Planet were both amazing records (their debut, Comfort, less so).

Faith No More: if you don't know who these guys are, you probably don't belong here. Angel Dust and Album of the Year are my two favorite records from them.

The Mars Volta: the band that resuscitated real, complex, inaccessible, brilliant progressive rock for the 21st century. All their albums are worth getting.

Steel Pole Bath Tub: These guys are the missing link between grunge and noise rock. Their influence extends to the post-metal scene as well; they toured with Neurosis on several occasions. All their stuff is great.

Swans: arguably the most important group of the No-Wave scene, Michael Gira & company reformed in 2010 and came back with a bang.

Television: Probably the first truly great post-punk act to come out of New York City.

Honorable mention to: The Ramones, Slint, Jane's Addiction, Soundgarden

I also like some of the old Motown/Philadelphia soul stuff, like Smokey Robinson & the Temptations, Al Green, etc.

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:44 am 

They're aren't alot of non-metal bands I like from Ireland. But I do like Thin Lizzy and Mick Flannery, though he's more a folk acoustic guy. Can't stand U2. Fuck Bono!

Gompidge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:28 pm 

The Prodigy..

I'm sure you know a few of their songs but they have a great catalogue covering quite a few styles. They're the closest band I get to being fanatical about or being a 'collector'.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:15 pm 

plasticpope wrote:
I love it how when the thread is "favourite non metal band" related, everyone scrambles to name hard rock bands because that's the closest thing possible to metal outside of metal, I mean cmon guys, be creative.

What, do you want me to profess a love for boybands? Because that's all this country has produced in the last 20 years.

Exterus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:08 am 

Another of my favourite swedish (well, mostly swedish, anyway. Scott Morgan is american) bands is The Solution. Wonderful blue-eyed soul music.

The Solution - My Mojo Ain't Workin No More
The Solution - You Gotta Come Down
The Solution - I Have to Quit You

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:44 pm 

Feindflug - Weird Industrial chaos that is close to techno but uses instruments. A lot of techno people are into this band, but they are sort of fringe musicians.

They have been accused of Right wing political ideals,because they used dubbed in speeches of notorious German historical figues (I'll leave it at that). But also recently they have incorporated speeches and symbolism of Marxist and Soviet history. Alot of the album covers look to be straight out of NSBM.

They truly have balls as any type of NS sympathy is highly looked down upon in Germany and they are a pretty public group.

The motto regarding accusations of this are "use your mind and think about it".

Check them out http://feindflug.info/

edit: idiot typo :)

Last edited by Delta_Wing on Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:58 pm 

cjsnow1 wrote:
Aphex Twin

I absolutely love Portishead and Massive Attack but their from the UK sooo..... yeah.

So are Aphex Twin.

kgerych1995
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:13 am 

Heresy is real good. They are hadrcore punk, similar to Discharge. sections of their 1988 demo are available on www.motorcityrock.com. Kevin :beer:

GUMMIBAHNHOF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:17 am 

Lunikoff..hhaha.

NocturnalHolocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:33 pm 

I have a few favorites, but topping that list is The Doors. Do I even need to explain this one?

At the Drive-In is another band. They really had everything. I think that if they didn't break up, they would be something big today.

I'd also throw Bad Religion, Queens of the Stone Age, The White Stripes, and The Black Keys in there as well.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:42 pm 

Jeff Buckley.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:31 pm 

Inkshooter wrote:
Anyone from the United Kingdom or United States is pretty much fucked trying to answer this question. So, I'm going to go with favorite non-metal band from my state.

Nirvana?

Such a cop out. Canada has just as many good bands. And obviously a lot of Americans, and Englishmen have posted in this thread.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

flykawaii
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:29 pm 

Ive always liked the band O.A.R. for some reason. Pretty well written songs and they are catchy as hell.
My Morning Jacket is pretty good also. I think they're from Kentucky or some shit. They have really good instrumentals and their song writing is, at times, superb.
A rapper that I like is Immortal Technique (Diabolic, Loucipher, DJ Green Lantern) cuz he's brutally honest in his lyrics. Good stuff. Of course, theres only so many times I can hear the "N" word and not throw up....so rap usually sucks a lot of ass. Cretins...

Edit: also, Cop Shoot Cop is fricking awesome too although I think they're from Canada, not the US.
When it is time we will see what we'll see...
I guarantee."

PeachPit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:51 pm 

Augh man, haha, this is the thread where i want all the guys from North America and the UK to shut up :P I am not sure if the effect is opposite for people from different parts of the globe though.

Everyone else is throwing out so many cool bands I've never heard of, this thread is awesome!

As for my Canadian vote, I've got to say The Barenaked Ladies, although the Hip have a special place in my canuck heart.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:19 pm 

Monster fucking Magnet. That is all.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:24 pm 

HAHA, Frog laughs at your Canadian band, laughs from his mountain.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:33 pm 

PeachPit wrote:

Barenaked Ladies

LOL

Rush, at least man.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:37 pm 

Ugh. Rush blow. I honestly see no appeal in their music.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:23 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Ugh. Rush blow. I honestly see no appeal in their music.

Then again, you're wrong.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next