Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
travisvid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:52 am 

I want buy a steren tool to repair, clean or polish some of my collection rare CDs to survive over the years in most perfect condition as is possible, there lot of scratches and other things, I try each process in a example CD and this works good!, but I don't know... what is your suggestions guys?

Is the second time I want to get another one, because my friend stole me the other one...

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:26 am 

All those machines do is cover your discs in little scratches. All you need to keep CDs clean is a lint-free cloth - the type used for cleaning eyeglasses or TV screens are perfect for this - and some isopropyl alcohol. Spray with isopropyl, wipe centre-to-edge across whatever muck is on the disc, and that's it. Seriously, don't bother with cleaning machines, they're just a scam designed purely to make some asshole money.

wrathchild_88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:18 am 

If you want it your CDs to look better, I guess one of those things would help in the illusion of the CD looking new(ish) if there's some quite big scratches. But if they're scratched to the point of skipping or not working properly, then they are unlikely to be able to fix that. But if they're just dirty then take chaossphere's advice.

I mean I haven't read up on these machines, but presumably all they do is grind down the plastic to the level of the scratches so that it's smooth again. That'll only work so many times or with scratches so deep. I've had a couple of PS2 games that I took to some game shop to try and fix the scratches and they still didn't work.

the_raytownian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:36 am 

Resurfacing a CD is something I'd only do as a last resort... they look awful. Really bad in terms of aesthetics. Not something you should just do for the hell of it... blowing on the CD is all it usually takes to get dust of... Keeping them clean and protected is as simple as only handling the edges and always keeping them either in the case or in the CD player tray.

You should only buff (scuff) the surface with one of those if the CD is too scratched to read.

Also, I'd suggest just using Brasso and a lint-free cloth to resurface a CD if you're intent on doing it... It works just as well, and the results are just as ugly, but it's also cheaper than buying some kit to spin the disc around for you.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:20 am 

The resurfacing machines I've used make the discs come out like mirrors - brand new looking
All scratches gone = well worth the $5 paid per disc

You can wash CDs safely in warm soapy water if the dirt is really gnarly

I've actually used my orbital sander with a sock over the base + jif scouring liquid!
I'll get a polishing bonnet and a buffer one day, it's cheaper than any other option... :thumbsup:

Sell/swap viewtopic.php?p=2040422
Wanted viewtopic.php?p=2343125
Feedback viewtopic.php?p=2470301

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:54 pm 

i was kinda hoping that the youtube user howtobasic had a "how to clean CDs" video, but he doesn't :(

the_raytownian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:03 pm 

IDK how anyone would ever manage to get a CD so dirty they would even need to "wash" it unless they were eating Cheetos or picking their noses before smearing their fingers all over the disc.

WTF, people?! You should all just wear gloves for everything like I do.
TURN THE PAGE, WASH YEH HANDS.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:18 pm 

Sometimes I get lax and accidentally leave a fingerprint on a disc. It happens. Ideally, I should pretend I'm in a library reading an illuminated manuscript whenever I handle my CDs, but that doesn't always happen. Then there are those rare occasions when, God forbid, I leave a disc outside its case or drop one. Even rarer is when I lend a CD to a friend. I shudder thinking of it...

To clean smudges I usually go for my eyeglass cleaner kit. The fluid seems harmless, but most of the time all I require is the cloth. I used to have a couple of those CD repair kits and I used them on a few DVDs and video games, though they hardly every worked. One of them was electric and the other was hand cranked, and I preferred the latter.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:19 pm 

Obviously some people just throw them on the floor and step all over them or something. Sometimes accidents happen though. I've got a Lamb of God CD that was given to me by someone who's child thought a gap in the dashboard above their badly installed car stereo was the CD slot and proceeded to drop that and another half a dozen CDs into it :lol: It looks like an absolute mess but plays with no trouble on my DVD/BD players, but does the ol' kangaroo shuffle in the car one.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:26 am 

chaossphere wrote:
Obviously some people just throw them on the floor and step all over them or something. Sometimes accidents happen though. I've got a Lamb of God CD that was given to me by someone who's child thought a gap in the dashboard above their badly installed car stereo was the CD slot and proceeded to drop that and another half a dozen CDs into it :lol: It looks like an absolute mess but plays with no trouble on my DVD/BD players, but does the ol' kangaroo shuffle in the car one.

haha, my copy of images and words fell victim to a similar gap in my first car.

FasterDisaster
OMG WAT DOES THIS CAPS LOCK KEY DO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:53 am 

the_raytownian wrote:
TURN THE PAGE, WASH YEH HANDS.

I'M TRYING, BUT THEY'RE ALL STUCK TOGETHER. WHAT.

Yeah, I've never really had a problem with dirty discs, and ones that I have, they've essentially been unsalvageable. Digital libraries all the way, for me.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:20 am 

Latex gloves while handling your rare and or valuable media is a pretty cool idea, I might get a box just for this.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:07 pm 

Actually, when I was transferring my CDs to protective sleeves I kept a box of latex gloves nearby. It was during the summer and I was working on it for an hour at a time or more. Definitely a good idea if you want to be extra careful or will be handling your music collection for an extended period of time.

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:49 pm 

Fuck resurfacing cds that don't skip, don't resurface your cds unless they skip, they usually look worse afterwards and if it doesn't skip there is no reason to buff it. They almost always have these annoying swirly marks that you can see under a light when tilted. Some people say they will look new after being buffed but they just aren't looking correctly at the disc, if you tilt it at a certain angle under a bright light you can 99% of the time see tiny swirls from the buffing machine, even with the more expensive ones, though on the really good machines it can be extremely hard to spot the buffing marks, one time it took me over 10 minutes to see the buffing marks on a disc since you have to angle it exactly at a certain angle under a light with the really good machines.

If you want to clean your dirty cds just use a high quality eyeglasses cleaning cloth with some isopropyl alcohol to get the smudges off the bottom of the disc. I wouldn't put anything on the top of the disc, as sometimes the ink can get damaged, especially the old cds made at Pallas (P+O in the matrix) and Nimbus (R.i.p. original messiah force cd and my 2nd pressing Cancer death shall rise disc had the ink come off the top just from putting water on the top)

Also if you just have say fingerprints on the disc, most of the times they can be easily removed just by breathing on the disc and wiping with a cloth.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:35 pm 

I'll only resurface discs that skip, I did get one done that looked a bit rough that I wanted to sell though.
Monstrosity - Millennium :nods:

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:40 pm 

yea only resurface if they skip. otherwise I don't bother with that.

Also a soft cloth. if I need to put anything on it I'd use some rubbing alcohol but that's rarely ever.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:17 pm 

For CDs that skip, I've had pretty good luck going mp3 with them. For some reason converting them with a computer's CD player seems to allow the skipping part to come through. I've even been able to recover a CD that had a full-on crack.

Other than that, I second the idea of going to an eyeglass store and grabbing a few of those micro-cloth wipes. The work for glasses, so it makes sense that they work for CDs as well.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:22 pm 

Computer CD/DVD optical drives are totally different beasts compared to your standard CD player, play grading using a computer bothers me no end, they are so much more forgiving :(
You're dead right though, I've ripped totally rooted CDs to the computer and they play with 100% success/accuracy

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:27 pm 

On the flipside, I had a damaged Savatage CD that would play perfectly in my car's old CD player, would skip in my CD player at work, and completely seized up in my computer's optical drive. It can work both ways. So if your CD is skipping or freezes on certain songs, it's worth trying it in multiple devices.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:36 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
Computer CD/DVD optical drives are totally different beasts compared to your standard CD player, play grading using a computer bothers me no end, they are so much more forgiving :(
You're dead right though, I've ripped totally rooted CDs to the computer and they play with 100% success/accuracy

Blu Ray players are even better at playing fucked CDs. The laser being so small allows it to ignore scratches that would result in a completely bungled rip.

heavymetalbanger1989
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:34 pm 

If a cd looks smudgy or dusty to me I wipe it on my pant leg. The cd equivalent of blowing on the cartridge.

the_raytownian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:39 am 

heavymetalbanger1989 wrote:
If a cd looks smudgy or dusty to me I wipe it on my pant leg. The cd equivalent of blowing on the cartridge.

hehe, yeah, I do the same thing if blowing on it doesn't get noticeably large dust motes off the play side.

That said, I am a failure at life, so 90% of the time, I am wearing pants made of cotton or some slick, synthetic fiber. Oftentimes, it's pajama pants. I certainly don't wipe them on jeans.

Anyway, it still boggles me how people hold CD's sometimes... Even when I was kid, I understood you should only hold it at the edges/center, just like you would (should) with a record.

Reply to topic