Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:13 am 

FIVE Canadian teams in the playoffs, fantastic :D But four of them play each other :nono:

Anyway, here's what I see happening.
Spoiler: show
Ottawa 4 Montreal 1 Sens have been very good everywhere, but appallingly good on the road. No situation intimidates them, plus we don't know how ready Pacioretty will be. I wouldn't be too surprised if the series came back to Ottawa at 2-0 Sens.

Detroit 4 Tampa 2 I'm not sure whether Detroit has lost back-to-back games all year. That's worth something. They won't get suckered into playing a run-and-gun that Tampa would like.

NY Rangers 4 Pittsburgh 0 The Pens have a terrible record against division opponents, and have really only made the playoffs because Boston crapped their pants.

Washington 4 NY Islanders 3 :( I wanted the Isles to give their fans an epic sendoff before moving to Brooklyn. But they've been slipping for months whereas Washington is on a roll.

Minnesota 4 St. Louis 2 Minne are the Sens of the Western Conference. And I've picked the Blues year after year and they've failed. Must be the shitty pizza.

Chicago 4 Nashville 1 Preds burned out and coasted into the playoffs. Easy pickins.

Anaheim 4 Winnipeg 3 Always liked Ondrej Pavelec, and he's been great lately. Winnipeg is an insane place to play in, and the Jets have also been tough on the road. This series was practically a coin flip for me.

Calgary 4 Vancouver 2 I would've picked the Canucks against almost anyone else. This will unfortunately be seen as another choke, though they deserve better. Calgary just has that special thing going on.

----

This leads to: Ottawa beats Detroit, then loses to the goddamn Rangers again. The Wild avenge themselves on Chicago, then stump the Flames. The New York Rangers smear their grubby paws on the Stanley Cup.

Metantoine
Prince of the Black Sun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:37 am 

LOL, Ottawa in 5? Riiiiiiiiiiiiight? Overconfident much? MaxPac is fine, he'll be ready to destroy Hammond next week. My predictions are done but I'll write some more analyses before I post them.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:38 pm 

LOL you say? Sure, it's not like a low-seeded Ottawa team has ever pulled a 5-game whoopass on the Habs before...

Brainded Binky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:16 pm 

Apparently the Wild made the playoffs a week ago. I have two friends that are diehard Wild fans, and they're just going nuts over it.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:24 pm 

The Wild are weird. They don't often make the playoffs, but when they do, they're usually good for passing the first round.

kluseba
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:25 pm 

I've made two podcasts about my predictions for the 2015 Stanley Cup playoffs.

Western Conference: http://kluseba.eklablog.com/predictions ... a117309646

Eastern Conference: http://kluseba.eklablog.com/second-part ... a117322308

To keep it short: I think that the New York Ranger will win the finals against the Anaheim Ducks. What else? Oh yeah, Senators in seven games!

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:57 pm 

Brainded Binky wrote:
Yeah, I'm not really into sports at all. I can honestly say the Wild aren't ever gonna get a Stanley Cup.

You're saying that after only fifteen years of the team existing? Nah, what else ya got...?

Quote:
The Twins haven't won a single World Series since the year the grunge revolution came into being. It's called "Minnesota Sports Syndrome"

Twenty-four years, I'm still not feeling sorry for y'all! Your town doesn't have a Sports Syndrome until failure becomes generational. I'm from Ottawa. Nuff said.

Metantoine
Prince of the Black Sun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:02 pm 

Brainded Binky's input on sport is as valuable as his reviews.
kluseba wrote:
To keep it short: I think that the New York Ranger will win the finals against the Anaheim Ducks. What else? Oh yeah, Senators in seven games!

:ugh: Well at least you're not saying they'll win in 5 haha. Sorry, but I'm not quite into podcasts, can you do a text version or something?

The Sens are so scared of Habs' fan, a bad move from the team in my opinion: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/senat ... ry-market/

Also, cool to see that the eliminated champions are having fun; http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=763290

My predictions:
East
MTL/OTT
Montréal in 6. Yeah, the Sens are hot but the playoffs are always a new season and apparently Karlsson is injured. It will be a tough series but if Max Pacioretty can come back soon, I think we got it. Montréal is a much more experienced team in the playoffs, just came back from a glorious season and they have the best player in the NHL (Price). We want to avenge our failure against Ottawa some years ago.
TB/DET
Tampa Bay in 6. I can't see the Wings winning this with their weak defense and goaltending (Howard sucks) against the best offensive team in the league. Datsyuk is getting old too.
NYR/PIT
New York in 5. the Pens currently have an AHL level defense, NY, the President's trophy winner will destroy them. Crosby will win a game by himself though.
NYI/WAS
Washington in 7. I want to believe that Ovechkin can lead a team towards the 2nd round. The Caps' offense isn't deep and it will be a tight series but I think Holtby will beat Halak.

West
STL/MIN
The Wild in 7. Dubnyk will stop the powerful attack of the Blues, it's gonna be a very tough and physical series and the winner will probably lose in the 2nd round.
NAS/CHI
Chicago in 6. Nashville had a great season but they don't have all the tools to beat the Hawks. Also, Patrick Kane who was the NHL leading scorer before his injury is ready to come back.
ANA/WPG
The Jets in 7. I really want the Jets to win and they can. They're big, fast and talented. The addition of Myers and Stafford were perhaps the best moves made by a team this season. They'll surprise the Ducks.
VAN/CGY
Calgary in 6. I think the Hudler/Monahan/Gaudreau line will win this series. Sort of sad to see this series so early though, would had been cool in the 2nd round.

Required Fields
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:49 pm 

EASTERN CONFERENCE

New York Rangers (1st in Metropolitan Division) vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (2nd wild card)
The New York Rangers won the Presidents' Trophy in the regular season for the first time since 1994, which was also the last time they won the Stanley Cup. This year, in the opening round of the playoffs, they face the Pittsburgh Penguins, who many expected to finish towards the top of the standings at the beginning of the regular season, but stumbled down the stretch, and were the last team to clinch a playoff spot. Despite the disappointing season as a whole, Penguins goaltender Marc-André Fleury was one of the best goaltenders during the regular season, leading the league in shutouts with 10. The Rangers won the regular season series with a 3-0-1 record. Last year, during the playoffs, the two teams met in the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals, in which the Rangers won in seven games.
Prediction: New York Rangers in six games.

Montréal Canadiens (1st in Atlantic Division) vs. Ottawa Senators (1st wild card)
The Ottawa Senators provided the league with one of its most captivating stories all season during the second half. Halfway through the season, the team was pretty much written off, but then the Senators called up goaltender Andrew Hammond from the minors, and caught fire, with Hammond's amazing play leading to Ottawa locking up a playoff spot on the last day of the season. Hammond was a phenomenal 20-1-2 with a superb .941 save percentage, a fantastic 1.79 GAA, and three shutouts. Montréal goaltender Carey Price led the league with 44 wins during the regular season.
Prediction: Montréal Canadiens in seven games.

Tampa Bay Lightning (2nd in Atlantic Division) vs. Detroit Red Wings (3rd in Atlantic Division)
The Detroit Red Wings qualified for the playoffs for the 24th straight season, which is the longest active streak in professional sports. They face the Tampa Bay Lightning in the playoffs for the first time in franchise history. The Lightning hope that the presence of goaltender Ben Bishop will help; last year, Bishop was injured down the stretch and the Lightning were swept in the opening round by the Montréal Canadiens. Detroit had a great first two thirds of the season, but began to falter a bit late in the season; they hope that they will find the form they had earlier in the season.
Prediction: Tampa Bay Lightning in six games.

Washington Capitals (2nd in Metropolitan Division) vs. New York Islanders (3rd in Metropolitan Division)
Both the Islanders and Capitals return to the post-season after missing out in 2014. This series marks the first time the two teams meet in the playoffs since 1993, a series best remembered for Washington forward Dale Hunter's dirty hit on Islanders forward Pierre Turgeon; the Islanders won the series in six games. That was also the last time the Islanders advanced beyond the opening round of the playoffs; they made it to the third round that season, where they lost to the eventual Stanley Cup champion, the Montréal Canadiens, in five games. Both teams have a player who is amongst the game's top offensive threats; the Capitals have Alexander Ovechkin, who led the league in goals with 53, and the Islanders have John Tavares, who finished second in the league in points during the regular season. The teams have met in the playoffs six times, with the Islanders winning five of them.
Prediction: New York Islanders in seven games.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Anaheim Ducks (1st in Pacific Division) vs. Winnipeg Jets (2nd wild card)
The Anaheim Ducks, who finished as the Western Conference's top team during the regular season for the second year in a row, face the Winnipeg Jets, who are in the playoffs for the first time since moving from Atlanta in 2011. This marks the first time these two franchises have met in the playoffs. The Ducks won all three games against the Jets during the regular season, although one of those wins came in overtime and another one of them was in a shootout.
Prediction: Anaheim Ducks in five games.

St. Louis Blues (1st in Central Division) vs. Minnesota Wild (1st wild card)
St. Louis and Minnesota played against each other on the last day of the regular season, and now they play each other in the opening round of the playoffs. After a disappointing first half of the season, Minnesota took off in the second half and qualified for the playoffs for the third season in a row, a franchise record. The Blues were one of the top teams in the regular season, but have not advanced beyond the opening round of the playoffs since 2012. This marks the first playoff meeting between the St. Louis Blues and Minnesota Wild so far.
Prediction: St. Louis Blues in six games.

Vancouver Canucks (2nd in Pacific Division) vs. Calgary Flames (3rd in Pacific Division)
This marks the sixth time that the Vancouver Canucks and Calgary Flames have met in the playoffs (Calgary has won four of the five meeting thus far). The past three times the two teams have met, the winner ended up making it all the way to the Stanley Cup Finals. Calgary defeated Vancouver in 1989 in the opening round and went on to win their only Stanley Cup ever. Five years later, in 1994, they met again; this time Vancouver was victorious and went all the way to the Stanley Cup Finals, where they lost to the New York Rangers. In 2004, Calgary defeated Vancouver in the opening round, and eventually made it to the Stanley Cup Finals, where they lost to the Tampa Bay Lightning. The regular season series was close, with each team winning two of the four games, one at home and one away from home; however, the Flames earned an extra point with an overtime loss in one game.
Prediction: Vancouver Canucks in six games.

Nashville Predators (2nd in Central Division) vs. Chicago Blackhawks (3rd in Central Division)
The Nashville Predators, predicted by most not to make it to the playoffs, shocked the hockey world by having the best record in the league as late as February. They started to slump a bit down the stretch, but still have home ice advantage during the opening round of the playoffs. They face the Chicago Blackhawks, who won the only previous meeting between the two teams in the playoffs, defeating the Predators in the opening round of the 2010 playoffs before winning the Stanley Cup. The Blackhawks won three of the four meetings between the two teams during the regular season.
Prediction: Nashville Predators in seven games.

Metantoine
Prince of the Black Sun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:56 pm 

Since Required Fields made a thread with his predictions, I transfered the NHL playoffs posts posted in the Sports Threads here and made a new thread.

PLAYOFFS!

Haha, our predictions for the West are totally the opposite, RequiredF, it will be fun!

Tomorrow:
MTL vs OTT
NYI vs WAS
CHI vs NAS
CGY vs VAN

The_Rampaging_Mortal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:07 pm 

JETS FOR THE WIN!!!

OK, not likely, but a man can dream, can't he?

dystopia4
Thumbman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:08 pm 

The Sens have played very well against the Habs lately and I could easily see them winning in 7.

ratedgdr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:35 pm 

I've been a Ducks fan since 1996. I believe in Anaheim.

Bede
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:08 am 

Even though a big part of me hopes that Blackhawks win it, so that Timonen can end his career in the appropriate fashion, the remaining part of me hopes that a new team takes the cup and not your Blackhawks, Rangers or Ducks. Because variety, spice, life and all that...

Having said that, I'm going out on a limb here and say that the Blues have a good chance of winning it this year. Their top 6 in offence is great in my opinion: there's a good variation of size, skill and speed and the bottom 6 can deliver the needed grittiness. Moreover, their defense is spectacular. The only apparent weakness is their goaltending; I'm not sure if Elliot/Allen quite cut it.

Then again, I also wouldn't mind if Capitals won it. I mean, I know people have strong opinions on him, but Ovechkin is one of those players that just should win the cup during his career. I'm just not quite convinced that their roster is able to go carry them to the end.

So, yeah, due to Selanne retiring, I don't have a real favourite team anymore, so I'm just hoping the see excellent, intensive games.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:17 am 

All y'all picking the Habs, here's the core lineup from Montreal in 2013 that lost to the Sens:
Price, Markov, Subban, Emelin, Pacioretty, Plekanec, Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Desharnais. What has changed?

Meanwhile, Hammond's save percentage is exactly the same as Anderson's was when he stole the 2013 series. Other things have changed, but I'd say improved. Ottawa has five 20-goal scorers vs. just three 10-goal scorers back in the half-lockout season. Long story short, it's the same Habs against a Sens team that's better than before.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:23 am 

CAPS KILL. WOOOO. Although I don't think we'll beat NY. But, hey who knows, even though we lost 5/6, we've had a solid enough of a season where I'm not entirely ready to submit yet.

https://bptst.bandcamp.com/- ambient
last.fm

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:30 am 

Howard is sucking lately. Hoping the Wings pull it off, but it was nice to see the playoff streak continued in any event.

Last.fm

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:31 am 

My team is out, so now I can take my rose-colored glasses off and actually enjoy the games for a change :lol: I have the Blackhawks and the Rangers in the final (Rangers in 7), but would love to see two Canadian teams playing in the big dance. For who I actually WANT to win it all? Nashville baby, because there's a solid chance I could get tickets to a game, haha.

As long as Detoilet loses, I'm good.

Spawning Vats - MS Death Metal

Metantoine
Prince of the Black Sun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:17 am 

Dragunov wrote:
My team is out, so now I can take my rose-colored glasses off and actually enjoy the games for a change.

Oh shit, Boston fired Chiarelli today... I'm actually surprised Claude Julien still has his job too but I guess Cam Neely likes him.

severzhavnost, yeah man it's weird that everyone is picking the Habs (50-22-10) instead of the Sens (43-26-13)! Maybe they're picking the better team out of the 2? Even though the Sens won the series 3-1 this year, it doesn't mean shit anymore! It starts tonight! :tongue:

RapeTheDead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:40 am 

Sitting on the sidelines again this year, but considering which team I root for it's not like that's really uncommon or anything. :( Nice to see that every other Canadian team made it, at least. I usually just end up siding with whichever one of them goes deepest. Unless it's Montreal, because nobody likes Montreal.

No Kings and no Bruins this year though...already I like the way this playoff is going. Hoping for both the Sens and the Flames to make deep runs and meet in the finals, that's my wild prediction and I'm sticking to it.

Metantoine
Prince of the Black Sun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:55 am 

If nobody likes Montréal, why do we see fans in arena across the league with Habs shirts? :) "Nobody likes Toronto" is a more accurate statement! You forgot the poor Oilers in your post though. 5 out 7 is really good for sure but too bad 4 of those are in series against eachothers in the first round.

I wonder why he's not a GM in the NHL anymore... Oh right, he's an idiot!

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:04 pm 

Milbury is an idiot, and if they were going to fire just ONE person out of Julien and Chiarelli, it should've been Julien...but that's a discussion for a different thread.

Anyways, I can't wait to drink beer and watch some killer hockey games tonight.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:27 pm 

I agree with firing Chiarelli before Julien. The GM didn't do jack to improve the team at the trade deadline. Apparently he thought it was safe to coast in riding a 14-point on Ottawa ;)

Metantoine, so the Sens winning the season series doesn't mean shit anymore, but Montreal having a better record against other teams does? :scratch:

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:44 pm 

RapeTheDead wrote:
:( Nice to see that every other Canadian team made it, at least. I usually just end up siding with whichever one of them goes deepest. Unless it's Montreal, because nobody likes Montreal.

How do you figure that? They're, like, one of the most beloved teams in the franchise. I usually end up rooting for the Habs once Vancouver shits the bed early, as they are wont to do. I didn't follow the season much at all this year, but fuck Calgary, I hope the Nucks/Flames series isn't total murder.

RapeTheDead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:05 pm 

See, I'm a Leafs fan. I assume that everybody hates Montreal and forget that the Oilers are a Canadian team, that's our logic in action right there.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:06 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
I agree with firing Chiarelli before Julien. The GM didn't do jack to improve the team at the trade deadline. Apparently he thought it was safe to coast in riding a 14-point on Ottawa ;)

Spoiler: show
There's arguments for both sides, but I feel Claude is stuck in his ways and he pretty much isn't adapting to the way the game is played now. Talbot is still a damn solid forechecking threat, and Connolly is top-two line player (sucks he broke his hand right off the bat). But...why wasn't Pastrnak playing on the power play? Why is Talbot sitting in the press box while Paille/Campbell/Kelly are pretty much skating around looking tired most of the time? Why are goal scorers getting less ice time than that fourth line? I feel Chiarelli did a good job landing solid prospects and at least drafting well the last few years to kind of lessen the blow from our cap issues. It's strange for me to say, but "Big Bad Bruins hockey" just isn't going to work all that well in years to come, and Claude just isn't seeing that.

Metantoine
Prince of the Black Sun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:12 pm 

RapeTheDead wrote:
See, I'm a Leafs fan.

Don't worry, everything else about you is pretty cool :)

What do you think Toronto will do during the summer? They already fired their GM and interim coach. They'll surely try to get Babcock out of Detroit but I think Kessel or Phaneuf (probably not both) will leave. If they're lucky, they'll get Eichel or another great prospect. They need to sign Bernier ASAP too.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:23 pm 

Ughhhhhh I need Eichel anywhere besides Toronto :lol:

Zodijackyl
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:30 pm 

Rangers defeat Pens in 5
Senators defeat Canadiens in 6
Lightning defeat Red Wings in 6
Islanders defeat Capitals in 6

Ducks defeat Jets in 5
Wild defeat Blues in 7
Blackhawks defeat Predators in 6
Canucks defeat Flames in 6

13 penalties for too many men on the ice
33 games go to overtime

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:00 pm 

Dragunov: Not saying that Claude Julien did a great job, just that he was less of a failure than Chiarelli! I totally agree that Gregory Campbell is one overrated little shit, but really, I doubt more ice time to Max Talbot would have made much difference. Julien did a half-ass job with half-ass personnel. Chiarelli stuck him with said half-ass personnel.

RapeTheDead: You're not alone! Ottawa's dumb-bastard mayor tweeted "isn't it great that all the Canadian teams made the playoffs". What a shrub. Also, if you guys jettison Phil Kessel, I'd welcome him. That may sound odd given the rivalry between y'all and my Senators. See, I like Kessel because he's unlikeable. So many players have the personality of a toaster oven. Their interviews, they just repeat the same programmed robotic lines. Kessel has an ass of a personality, but at least he's real.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:01 pm 

severzhavnost: That's a fair assessment. We'll see how things pan out.

kluseba
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:13 pm 

Ottawa Senators vs. Montreal Canadiens: 4:3

Hammond has been the best goalie of the league over the past two months. Price has been the best goalie all year long. Draw.

Erik Karlsson is one of the very best offensive defensemen. Overall, Ottawa's defense still lacks stability as they have blown incredible leads throughout the season. Markov and Subban are still among the strongest defensemen in the league and the team got more depth due to some smart transactions last month. Advantage for Montreal.

Ottawa has a high number of great offensive players where almost anybody can score: Hoffmann, Lazar, MacArthur, Pageau, Stone etc. The Montreal Canadiens aren't that strong in the offensive and too dependent on Pacioretty who will at least miss one game due to the consequences of an injury. Advantage for Ottawa.

One additional element one shouldn't forget in this duel is Ottawa's impressive momentum. They have been the hottest team in the league over the last thirty games and should be able to carry this element into the playoffs.

Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Detroit Red Wings: 4:2

Tampa Bay doesn't have the greatest goaltenders but Ben Bishop has been rather solid over the past few months while Detroit really struggled with Howard. Advantage for Tampa Bay.

Both teams don't have the best defense and that's why none of them is a serious candidate for a Stanley Cup win this year. Draw.

Offensively, Tampa Bay is probably the most diverisfied team in the league. I think that some players might even perform better in the playoffs than during the regular season. Their offensive skills are going to explode. Advantage for Tampa Bay.

New York Rangers vs. Pittsburgh Penguins: 4:1

King Lundqvist is one of the best goaltenders in the league. Fleury is still really solid but he's not as good as a few years back. Advantage for New York.

New York's defense is robust and stable. Pittsburgh's defense is of an average quality and unstable. Advantage for New York.

New York has a couple of great offensive players but so does Pittsburgh. The problem is that several players for Pittsburgh are injured right now. Malkin and Crosby are some of the best players in the league but New York's roster is more diversified. Advantage for New York.

Washington Capitals vs. New York Islanders: 4:3

Both teams have very good goaltenders. I always remember what Halak has accomplished in Montreal five years ago. He is a really underestimated goaltender who is able to perform under big pressure and who can even take weak teams very far. If he's able to reproduce what he has already proven in the past, he'll be tough to beat. Advantage for New York.

Washington's defense has been really solid this year, only the Canadiens and the Rangers were better. New York's defense lacks stability. Advantage for Washington.

New York has a handful of great and diversified scorers but so does Washington. The most outstanding offensive player in the league is though playing for the Capitals. Ovechkin has become better and better by the end of the season and looks hungry for more. He's the kind of player who may decide this series. Advantage for Washington.

I will explain my point of view concerning the Western Conference playoffs a little bit later...

kluseba
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:37 pm 

Goooaaal!

RapeTheDead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:54 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
What do you think Toronto will do during the summer? They already fired their GM and interim coach. They'll surely try to get Babcock out of Detroit but I think Kessel or Phaneuf (probably not both) will leave. If they're lucky, they'll get Eichel or another great prospect. They need to sign Bernier ASAP too.

I can see either Kessel or Phaneuf being shipped off to another team in a blockbuster trade, but honestly I don't think they're going to make too many major shake-ups since they already purged their entire management. The problem seems to be with the organization, not the team itself; lots of good, albeit undisciplined, young talent and whatnot. The team was pretty conservative at the trade deadline--their biggest move was just dumping the underachieving Clarkson's monster salary--and I think that signals they're going to try and tweak their core instead of blowing up and rebuilding. They just sorta finished doing that.

One thing I can see this boneheaded team I devoutly follow do is dump Bernier and roll with Reimer because they can probably get more for Bernier. There seems to be this persisting faith in Optimus Reim cause he got us in the playoffs once, but I still think the dude's kinda garbage with a hot streak every now and then. Bernier's the best goalie they've had since Cujo and by Leafs logic, he'll be traded soon.

severzhavnost wrote:
RapeTheDead: You're not alone! Ottawa's dumb-bastard mayor tweeted "isn't it great that all the Canadian teams made the playoffs". What a shrub. Also, if you guys jettison Phil Kessel, I'd welcome him. That may sound odd given the rivalry between y'all and my Senators. See, I like Kessel because he's unlikeable. So many players have the personality of a toaster oven. Their interviews, they just repeat the same programmed robotic lines. Kessel has an ass of a personality, but at least he's real.

See, I never understood the whole "Kessel is unlikeable/uncoachable" thing. He had his run-ins with the media but I think he just clashes with them because he's a soft-spoken kinda guy and Toronto just has this tendency of being a total media circus. Also he gets the brunt of the blame because he's the team's best player in a time when they're doing kinda shitty. He's not the entire team, all he was acquired to do was score goals and he's certainly delivered on that front. I really, really hope the drama and shenanigans don't run Kessel out of town, because he's a great player, pure snipes.

I do agree that professional sports interviews are some of the most bland and unnecessary conversations that ever take place. You can tell most guys are just restricting what they really think and just saying the obligatory stuff so that they won't get fined or put under a microscope by the media. That's why I love Ilya Bryzgalov, dude was a weird fuck and it carried through in his interviews. That's how goalies gotta be, man. If you're not Patrick Roy levels of neurotic you're not doing it right.

Metantoine
Prince of the Black Sun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:05 pm 

Great OTT/MTL game! Hammond is definitely not ready for playoff hockey and the intimidating Bell Centre. If you think he's been THAT great for the last 2 months, you're not a hockey connoisseur, the Sens have been great but he's not an elite goalie despite his stats.

GO HABS GO!

kluseba
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:18 pm 

Hammond stopped 35 out of 39 shots, that's not that bad. It's actually pretty much on the same level as Price with 30 stops on 33 shots. With the exception of Halak, the goalies from the other teams didn't have their best nights either so far tonight.

It was a really intense game full of emotions and with a couple of dirty hits but there's a reason why Subban is the most hated player in the league. I really like the Canadiens but I've never liked Subban's attitude. He's handing out loads of dirty hits but is whining and embellishing as soon as it goes the other way around. He's the stereotypical soccer player among the hockey players, always diving, complaining and overtly arrogant.

Anyway, I can't wait for the next game of the series!

Metantoine
Prince of the Black Sun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:52 pm 

You're just jealous that you don't have such a flamboyant player 'cause all the Sens players are like Ottawa, boring as fuck! Hammond allowed 1 or 2 weak goals while the Sens scored 2 on the powerplay, you just can't compare everything with the number of shots.

TheRagingChaos
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:18 am 

I didn't get to watch the games cause I have the curse of the evening worker, but from what I saw later, the Subban slashing was pretty dirty and deserved a penality. Maybe not a game misconduct, but it was definitly a cheap shot that should not be allowed (Edit: Good call!). It pisses me off when refs stop calling penalities in the playoffs.

Anyways, go habs go! Montreal in 5!

I placed my money in my playoff draft on Lightning VS Blues for the cup final. At work, I went Montreal VS Blues, just for the kicks!

Edit:
There is something that needs to be done about forwards charging goalies. We all remember when Kreider injured Price last year. I may be a Habs fan, but we DO have one of the worst goalie-charger... Gallagher. We're lucky he's that small...

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:08 am 

RapeTheDead: Yes, it's very possible that Phil Kessel comes across as a bit gruff because he's uncomfortable in the spotlight, more than being an actual ass by nature.

rest of y'all: Subban's slash sure looked like intent to injure imo. I guess that calls for a game misconduct, bt I can't see a suspension.

TheRagingChaos: Here I am defending the enemy, but Brendan Gallagher is nowhere near as dirty as that reckless jackass Chris Kreider. (kluseba, I'd vote him as "most hated player" over Subban any day.)

Metantoine: the 'burglar flubbed one game. Well, one period really. Had nothing to do with intimidation or not being ready, otherwise he wouldn't have got out of the first period at zero! That would be the time to show the nerves. He'll be fine.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:33 am 

As a Penguins fan, I can honestly say I'll need therapy after the merciless slaughter that's gonna happen this series. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers sweep em, to be honest.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next