Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:02 pm 

Anyone curious? It will come out in January and it's called "The Pale Emperor". Here's more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pale_Emperor

IMHO it's the best album title and cover in several years. There's one song available already, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRKsF17wY30

Quite frankly, I'm unimpressed. It sounds uninspired and like it could have been on the last album. I really hope that the rest of the songs are better.

Xlxlx
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:16 pm 

.....MM is still a thing? Colour me surprised.

Oh, I stopped following Gandhi's career since he left Gorgoroth.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:25 pm 

This was actually vaguely interesting? Kind of sounded like one of the more low-key recent Queens of the Stone Age songs mixed with a bit of post-punk and Bowie or something. Not really that great but I expected something far worse!

GLOAMING - Debut album out now! | COMA VOID | FAUSTIAN ORBS

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:02 pm 

Related: Any of you know that Marilyn Manson melted recently? Check it out; he's like a goth Kim Jong Il!

EDIT: Also, yeah, I actually rather like this song. Way better than the awful metal tracks on the previous (?) album. Quite brooding and moody.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Hehe, hole.

Last edited by Crick on Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:16 pm 

Yeah what the fuck, that was actually somewhat respectable. At times it resembled the more anthemic Nick Cave songs.

NoKnownName
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:26 pm 

Even as a MM fan, I laughed as soon as I saw the title and the cover. Still, I hope that the album turns out to be pretty good.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:32 pm 

Can't believe I'm saying this, but... that was actually nice. Still sounds like something Depeche Mode could have synthed the into godliness.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

CorpseFister
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:16 am 

Crick wrote:
Related: Any of you know that Marilyn Manson melted recently?

Some people age gracefully, some people get leathery, and others just melt like ice cream in the sun.

And yeah, that song is alright. I have no context for his music other than knowing his early era when he was popular/controversial in the mainstream but this is better than what I expected.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:33 am 

Wow, reminded me of QOTSA like batman said. Think I'd rather listen to that but it wasn't a bad song.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:33 pm 

lmao the Qotsa comparisons are so apt it's painful. Not sure if it's because he's lost his heavy edge or it's an attempt to be trendy.

volutetheswarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:46 pm 

Eh, sounds like the usual Marilyn Manson b-side, could have been on Eat Me Drink Me. Certainly no 'Long Hard Road Out of Hell'. My honest opinion is it's the equivalent of elevator music.

the_raytownian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:13 pm 

Not at all curious (EDIT: Well, no... I did open this thread. A tiny bit curious).

I do feel it's important to add that I think Portrait of an American Family is a really good and unique album. So many layers of sound. It's a hook-filled smorgasbord of thick, prominent basslines, processed guitars and loads of gritty cassette samples. In terms of sound, it's an awesome, one-of-a-kind album. Anyone who says otherwise is a posturing douche who thinks they're too cool for the refrigerator.

The lyrics aren't so great (The post-adolescent holdover angst of "Lunchbox" is particularly excruciating), but the music and production generally makes up for what the lyrics lack. In a decade saturated with skronky, groovy, midrange-y alternative sameness, PoaAF shines. It's hardly aged a bit next to many of its contemporaries.

Other than that, I remember liking Antichrist Superstar when I was younger, but I have not heard it in years, and I haven't really cared about anything he's done since, save for a few tracks on Mechanical Animals.

He pretty much ceased to exist for me beyond that.

PS: I don't listen to QotSA, and what I know of them, I recall being awfully dull, so maybe this does sound like QotSA, but I am not really qualified to say.

RealmsOfDeath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:23 pm 

I am a fan of Spooky Kids, and Portrait. I am such a huge fan of that stuff, that every new album that he comes out with, I listen to it, and always end up disappointed (although I do like a song here or there like Angel with Scabbed Wings). Each album after portrait it just seems to get worse, and worse.

This is just utter crap.
The wind kissed him, goodbye and then he died

_Jace_
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:21 am 

Crick wrote:
Related: Any of you know that Marilyn Manson melted recently? Check it out; he's like a goth Kim Jong Il!

That's why his face is blurred out on the cover.

Abbath is much too grim and frostbitten for such mortal telephone technology.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:25 am 

I really liked that....which isn't too surprising - he had some hella strong tracks on Eat Me, Drink Me. But, this was really good. So, I'm all for it!

https://bptst.bandcamp.com/- ambient
last.fm

InnesI
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:32 pm 

I used to listen to Manson for a little bit in the era spanning Antichrist Superstar to Holy Wood. Never a huge fan but I liked some of their stuff. After that I could not have cared less really. I thought their thing was done and done again. I'm not sure this is true because I haven't actually listened to any MM record since Holy Wood I don't think. For no specific reason I stumbled across the new single (Third Day Of A Seven Day Binge) and I was surprised at how much I liked it. I don't know how MM has developed musically the past decade or so but this felt more fresh. I really like the going away from hard rock and into a more industrial/pop/electronical sound. And they must have gotten loads of inspiration from Live In Fear by Mark Crozer (Bray Wyatt's WWE theme). The songs have a very similar feeling to them even if the genres are different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9psDkhyh28A

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:24 pm 

Maybe this time it will be death metal *for real*... Or maybe not!
"Since that time, I have received highest level confirmations that such organizations not only exist but are rooted in satanic ritual murder and extend across America’s political landscape into nearly every community."

Secular Prayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:58 pm 

Never really got a chance to take a look at his work. I just saw that he`s playing at a venue 10 minutes from where I live, so a part of me wants to see what he`s all about. Has anyone seen him in recent years? If so, how was it?

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:49 pm 

Secular Prayer wrote:
Never really got a chance to take a look at his work. I just saw that he`s playing at a venue 10 minutes from where I live, so a part of me wants to see what he`s all about. Has anyone seen him in recent years? If so, how was it?

Well, I've seen them live four times, and I enjoyed them all. They have always been a good live band, even though Manson's vocals aren't as good these days. I say go anyway, just don't expect to see him sucking himself off or killing puppies... :p

REQUIEM
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:15 pm 

not bad at all. also reminds me of nick cave, in a good way.

i hope the rest of the album will sound like this.

i used to be a fan, but with the exception of 'eat me drink me' (cool pop rock album), i categorically hated everything after 'holy wood'.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:39 pm 

Another new song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9YJS4nTNsM

I personally like this one more.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:15 pm 

Wow, that was lame. Clearly Third Day was an exception.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Crick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:28 pm 

I actually liked that one as well. Some surprisingly passionate sounding vocals from Manson for once. A big improvement over the garbage performance on the previous release, at least.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Hehe, hole.

Exigence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:58 pm 

Whole album is pretty cool and I've never listened to MM before. The final quarter has been pretty lame in 2014 so I've been checking out everything. "Third Day" is a fucking great song to walk into a bar to.

Primate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:25 am 

Wasn't his last album meant to be "suicide death metal"?

NoKnownName
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:41 pm 

He claimed something along those lines. His bassist, Jeordie White, was in a prog metal band that had some death metal elements in it though.

putrenista2
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:11 am 

So, anyone heard the new album in full yet? I listened to it when it was still streaming like a week ago. I was pleasantly surprised. It's really good, and most of the material is closer to "Third Day of a Seven Day Binge," and "Cupid Carries a Gun," rather than "Deep Six."

Speaking of Manson, I just picked up a used copy of Antichrist Superstar.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:53 pm 

Does anyone know why Twiggy didn't participate?

baconboom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:01 am 

I have just finished listening to the full album and I'm impressed. There's definitely a very strong blues influence on most of the tracks. If anyone is thinking of getting the album I would highly recommend you get the deluxe edition, it has three acoustic songs which are probably my favourite tracks on the album.

InnesI
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:48 pm 

I feel drawn to this album over and over. I love the production. All the instruments sound amazing and the effects are used with great care and it usually enhances the songs. But I have come to realize that I generally have a hard time liking Marilyn Mansons vocals. Sometimes, if the track is good enough, they can slip by but in general It turns me off. This is also in relation to the lyrics aesthetics of his lyrics. Its just not something I feel drawn to and I feel it is, in many ways, a little to simple minded. How often can we hear him sing about guns, television sets, drugs or using buzz words to bug the christian right (666, eros, sin, sex). It feels so desperate, out of touch and so 90's.

So basically I'm torn...

Crick

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:51 pm 

I dunno, I was specifically drawn to the album -because- it evoked a lot of memories of the 90s and early 2000s for me. I'm not really listening to the thing to spawn deep thoughts or anything anyway.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Hehe, hole.

InnesI
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:16 am 

Crick wrote:
I dunno, I was specifically drawn to the album -because- it evoked a lot of memories of the 90s and early 2000s for me. I'm not really listening to the thing to spawn deep thoughts or anything anyway.

I guess it (the vocals and lyrics), for me, feels more outdated rather than nostalgic which is never good. But then again I was never a big MM fan to begin with so maybe there is little in the way of nostalgia which I can feel for their music.

Crick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:38 am 

Eh, I was never really a fan of his. But he did have a handful of songs that I liked when I was a kid, so yeah, I guess thats where the nostalgia comes from.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Hehe, hole.

Thrashageddon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:19 pm 

To this day I am still a fan of the first album. Other than that, I like a song here or there. After the last few terrible albums, I don't have interest in anything that he does these days.

Thrashageddon on Facebook Thrashageddon

aloof
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:27 pm 

Spoiler: show

Crick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:47 pm 

I like how that review spent one sentence on the music.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Hehe, hole.

the_raytownian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:30 pm 

Yeah. You know, as apathetic as I am about MM, it's kind of stupid to have someone who's clearly got some prior bias against the artist review them ("MM is so 1997, and I am too cool to even try to review his work objectively"). Why even review it at all, then?

Moron.

That said, I am positive the album wouldn't appeal to me, with or without this smug-yet-worthless "review"/snark piece. I just hate BS reviews like this so much.

InnesI
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:35 am 

I also hate when reviewers clearly won't give an album a chance. Its not like he doesnt have a point however. MM, and many other for that matter, feels overdone and feels childish in the continous attempts to be the rebel to anything the religious south in the US might dislike. THat is also one reason why I was surprised that The Pale Emperor actually works. Its not a bad album at all. I have even started to melt to the tired "guns, god and government" lyrics because the music works so well.

I know I mentioned it in another thread but thought I'd do so here again. Go listen to the three acoustic tracks on the deluxe version of the album. Pretty great stuff. In many ways I prefer them over the electronic versions :)

NoKnownName
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:46 pm 

Personally, I don't think he's writing to shock anymore and simply just likes writing in that style. He seems to be somewhat aware that he's not relevant, as evidenced by the second verse of "Odds of Even". That's just IMO though.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:19 am 

I just took a listen and the person who said Nick Cave pretty much hit the nail on the head for me.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next