* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kveldulfr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:46 am 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Wanted to dig this up for a fairly specific (albeit noobish) question:

Using Sony MDR-V150 as a standard, how do they (or their ilk) compare to ones more specifically noise-canceling? I want to be able to use the same pair of headphones at home as well as take on the bus, subway, or airplane. Would these do, or do I need to actually get true noise canceling headphones?

thanks.

It depends on how much do you want to spend on them. I bought for a bit less than $200 a pair of Soundmagic HP100 which, while they don't cancel all noise, they are closed enough to listen music in detail no matter what you are.

See that open headphones usually have better soundstage (stereo mirroring and overall 'live' feel) but the Soundmagic are excellent in that department too.

Less than 100? You can find the Audiotechnica ATH-M50.Noise cancelling and great sound for the price. Less than that you'll waste money on poor headphones.
Vahşet in ReverbNation - Death metal

chaosphere_1994
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:18 pm 

I haven't tried the M50s yet, though I use the Ultimate Ears 4000 for my on-the-go listening. They're....not that great with metal, mainly cause the bass can be quite overwhelming (still not beats-level bass). For outdoor listening it's damn good - great sound isolation (when I'm on the train there was never really a need to go past 60% volume on my ipod). Its okay with slower paced songs, (just tried them with some Iron Maiden and Helloween; the bass definitely gives it some "oomph"), but I feel that it has some trouble keeping up with thrash. Soundstage is small though.

EDIT:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-982-0000 ... B0094S360U

Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:25 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
a very helpful reply

Thanks for the help, man. That gave me much clearer parameters. Cheers.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:13 pm 

Hey guys, I'm looking for a good closed, circumaural headphone for metal. I'm willing to spend around $70-80 or so but if some good's available cheaper I'd be ok with that. I had a pair of Sennheiser HD201's (actually two pairs) but they always break on me - the little bit of plastic where the earphone attaches to the headphone snaps real easy on those. I thought they sounded pretty good though so I'm thinking about upgrading to HD449's, hoping that they're (a lot) more durable and way better sounding.

I've also read good things about the JVC HARX900's. These things look like they're built like tanks, which is good, and they're a lot cheaper than the Sennheisers. Worth a shot? God, they're ugly as hell, though.

EDIT: You slackers could not keep up with the power of this impulse buy, not even a little bit. I actually found a fucking monstrous 81-page thread on the JVC's on Head-Fi where basically all these audiophile nerds were drooling over how amazing this line sounds and were blown away by the tiny sticker price. They pointed out that the HARX900's are actually semi-open and have a rich soundstage, making them good for more sparse, airy stuff like jazz or IDM or something, but the (conveniently cheaper) HARX700's are fully closed, which means a) they'll isolate better against outside noise, b) will prevent my satanic hellhails from leaking out and terrifying the commuting public and c) are apparently better-suited to rock (and metal by extension, I guess).

My favorite thing about them is that they're comically large and have a nice 1940's submarine sonar operator chic thing going on that just screams "I look like a dickbag, but I like my music more than I like people" which I'm totally OK with:

Spoiler: show

COMA VOID | GLOAMING | FAUSTIAN ORBS

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:43 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Hey guys, I'm looking for a good closed, circumaural headphone for metal. I'm willing to spend around $70-80 or so but if some good's available cheaper I'd be ok with that. I had a pair of Sennheiser HD201's (actually two pairs) but they always break on me - the little bit of plastic where the earphone attaches to the headphone snaps real easy on those. I thought they sounded pretty good though so I'm thinking about upgrading to HD449's, hoping that they're (a lot) more durable and way better sounding.

I've also read good things about the JVC HARX900's. These things look like they're built like tanks, which is good, and they're a lot cheaper than the Sennheisers. Worth a shot? God, they're ugly as hell, though.

EDIT: You slackers could not keep up with the power of this impulse buy, not even a little bit. I actually found a fucking monstrous 81-page thread on the JVC's on Head-Fi where basically all these audiophile nerds were drooling over how amazing this line sounds and were blown away by the tiny sticker price. They pointed out that the HARX900's are actually semi-open and have a rich soundstage, making them good for more sparse, airy stuff like jazz or IDM or something, but the (conveniently cheaper) HARX700's are fully closed, which means a) they'll isolate better against outside noise, b) will prevent my satanic hellhails from leaking out and terrifying the commuting public and c) are apparently better-suited to rock (and metal by extension, I guess).

My favorite thing about them is that they're comically large and have a nice 1940's submarine sonar operator chic thing going on that just screams "I look like a dickbag, but I like my music more than I like people" which I'm totally OK with:

Spoiler: show

Hey man

I've been looking for the perfect metal headphones for over three years. I've heard the Sennheisers, the Audio Technica's, the Roland's, the JVC's, the Sony's, the AEG's, you fucking name it. The best headphones, with a fairly flat response and great sound stage are by far the Shure SRH440's.

They are fairly unknown, but try them out if you can find a pair, and I'll be stumped if you don't find them instantly likeable. 80 hours in and you won't want to take them off your head. If you want you can order the pillows from the 880's later, they help with comfort and add some bass. Oh did I mention that they insulate and isolate better than any other headphones I tried without clamping my head in?

Seriously man, do yourself a favour and get these. I listen to jazz, classical, rock, electronic, noise, ambient, you name it. Mostly metal of course.

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/ ... headphones

DO IT!

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:46 am 

Oh and btw, my headphones before the Shure's were also Sennheiser 201's. They broke on me at EXACTLY the place you are talking about. One day I just decided I need to get something sturdier. I loved the sound on the Sennheiser's though, nice and clear, just a little lacking in bass.

You'll love the Shure's, seriously.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:54 am 

Well, I already bought the JVC's and I'm now not in a position to be spending yet more money on headphones, so these'll have to do for a good long while I imagine. Thanks for the info though - I may look into those if the JVC's break or if I find myself having some extra money laying around waiting to be spent.

Kveldulfr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:35 pm 

The best cheapo headphones are easily the JTS HP-535. Those are a pretty decent clone of Sennheiser HD 280. Semi closed with good soundstage. Not really bassy but it has nice trebles Imo. Around the price of the HD 201.
Vahşet in ReverbNation - Death metal

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:58 pm 

Important update!

The JVC HARX700's came in and I really like 'em. Maybe a bit bassy and could be clearer with the mids and highs, but that should even out some over time. The build quality is great though and they're extremely comfortable. The only problem is that they're fucking cartoonishly gigantic. I thought they would be big, "that guy is an audiophile to the point where he doesn't give a fuck" headphones, but nah. They're more like, "ok, where is the hidden camera?" huge.

So, I broke down and bought a pair of Panasonic RPDJS400K's. They apparently sound pretty good, they look nice, and at $20 the best points of comparison I had were Sennheiser HD201's (which sound good but always break in the same spot) and those generic $20 Sony's that sound...ok, yet always have one or both ears eventually go out, so I figured I'd give the Panasonics a whirl. Plus, the Panasonic's look better than the Sony and Sennheiser phones, have metal bits where the cups attach to the headband, have squishy stuff on top for comfort, and fold flat, which should help them not get crushed in my bag.

Johnny82
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:23 pm 

Right now, I'm using some Sennheiser HD 203 headphones. The treble is nice and clear, and the bass is light, making the music sound evenly clear and bassy at high volumes. I really like these ones. I can blast my ears out without having to worry about blowing them.

$35 at Best Buy.

billreyes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:43 am 

Sony earphones are pretty expensive... I'm still trying to find the best model for me though..

nudecelebrities

Le Fossoyeur
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:00 pm 

I had the AKG K450 for a long time. Good headphones but the cable is shit, very fragile.

I don't listen to music in the street anymore, so I'm ok with the shitty iphone earphones for the 20 minutes/month use.

I use the AKG K272 HD at home, which are excellent headphones. They're neutral, no boosted basses (like the beats shit). It took me some time (not too long) to get used to them, but I can't listen to music with bass boosted equipment anymore. Still, these AKG headphones sound a bit flat on some stuff, they deserve a good headphone amp.

prisonerofourtime
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:15 pm 

I like headphones over the ear, more bass, punch and clear sound, tiny earphones never like me, I buy a lot and never satisfied me, so...
I had Steren headphones since 4 or 5 years, are cheap and good but I want try buy Sony Mdr-v700 one day, I think this two are great to metal.

Foulchrist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:00 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I had a pair of Sennheiser HD201's (actually two pairs) but they always break on me - the little bit of plastic where the earphone attaches to the headphone snaps real easy on those.

EpicSceptic wrote:
Oh and btw, my headphones before the Shure's were also Sennheiser 201's. They broke on me at EXACTLY the place you are talking about.

Happened to me a few weeks ago too; while I was reading a guide to help me fix the cables on my HD228s!

One of those "just gotta laugh" moments. :grumble:

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:52 am 

If you want some high quality IEMs, try the Hifiman line. They aren't making the RE-252s anymore, but that's what I have and for earphones they're disgustingly good.

I use Senn 555s modded to be 595s for my main headphones. Eventually I'd like to get another pair of cans, maybe AT M50s, maybe some Grados...I dunno.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3