* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:46 am 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Wanted to dig this up for a fairly specific (albeit noobish) question:

Using Sony MDR-V150 as a standard, how do they (or their ilk) compare to ones more specifically noise-canceling? I want to be able to use the same pair of headphones at home as well as take on the bus, subway, or airplane. Would these do, or do I need to actually get true noise canceling headphones?

thanks.

It depends on how much do you want to spend on them. I bought for a bit less than $200 a pair of Soundmagic HP100 which, while they don't cancel all noise, they are closed enough to listen music in detail no matter what you are.

See that open headphones usually have better soundstage (stereo mirroring and overall 'live' feel) but the Soundmagic are excellent in that department too.

Less than 100? You can find the Audiotechnica ATH-M50.Noise cancelling and great sound for the price. Less than that you'll waste money on poor headphones.

chaosphere_1994
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:18 pm 

I haven't tried the M50s yet, though I use the Ultimate Ears 4000 for my on-the-go listening. They're....not that great with metal, mainly cause the bass can be quite overwhelming (still not beats-level bass). For outdoor listening it's damn good - great sound isolation (when I'm on the train there was never really a need to go past 60% volume on my ipod). Its okay with slower paced songs, (just tried them with some Iron Maiden and Helloween; the bass definitely gives it some "oomph"), but I feel that it has some trouble keeping up with thrash. Soundstage is small though.

EDIT:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-982-0000 ... B0094S360U

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:25 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
a very helpful reply

Thanks for the help, man. That gave me much clearer parameters. Cheers.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:13 pm 

Hey guys, I'm looking for a good closed, circumaural headphone for metal. I'm willing to spend around $70-80 or so but if some good's available cheaper I'd be ok with that. I had a pair of Sennheiser HD201's (actually two pairs) but they always break on me - the little bit of plastic where the earphone attaches to the headphone snaps real easy on those. I thought they sounded pretty good though so I'm thinking about upgrading to HD449's, hoping that they're (a lot) more durable and way better sounding.

I've also read good things about the JVC HARX900's. These things look like they're built like tanks, which is good, and they're a lot cheaper than the Sennheisers. Worth a shot? God, they're ugly as hell, though.

EDIT: You slackers could not keep up with the power of this impulse buy, not even a little bit. I actually found a fucking monstrous 81-page thread on the JVC's on Head-Fi where basically all these audiophile nerds were drooling over how amazing this line sounds and were blown away by the tiny sticker price. They pointed out that the HARX900's are actually semi-open and have a rich soundstage, making them good for more sparse, airy stuff like jazz or IDM or something, but the (conveniently cheaper) HARX700's are fully closed, which means a) they'll isolate better against outside noise, b) will prevent my satanic hellhails from leaking out and terrifying the commuting public and c) are apparently better-suited to rock (and metal by extension, I guess).

My favorite thing about them is that they're comically large and have a nice 1940's submarine sonar operator chic thing going on that just screams "I look like a dickbag, but I like my music more than I like people" which I'm totally OK with:

Spoiler: show

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:43 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Hey guys, I'm looking for a good closed, circumaural headphone for metal. I'm willing to spend around $70-80 or so but if some good's available cheaper I'd be ok with that. I had a pair of Sennheiser HD201's (actually two pairs) but they always break on me - the little bit of plastic where the earphone attaches to the headphone snaps real easy on those. I thought they sounded pretty good though so I'm thinking about upgrading to HD449's, hoping that they're (a lot) more durable and way better sounding.

I've also read good things about the JVC HARX900's. These things look like they're built like tanks, which is good, and they're a lot cheaper than the Sennheisers. Worth a shot? God, they're ugly as hell, though.

EDIT: You slackers could not keep up with the power of this impulse buy, not even a little bit. I actually found a fucking monstrous 81-page thread on the JVC's on Head-Fi where basically all these audiophile nerds were drooling over how amazing this line sounds and were blown away by the tiny sticker price. They pointed out that the HARX900's are actually semi-open and have a rich soundstage, making them good for more sparse, airy stuff like jazz or IDM or something, but the (conveniently cheaper) HARX700's are fully closed, which means a) they'll isolate better against outside noise, b) will prevent my satanic hellhails from leaking out and terrifying the commuting public and c) are apparently better-suited to rock (and metal by extension, I guess).

My favorite thing about them is that they're comically large and have a nice 1940's submarine sonar operator chic thing going on that just screams "I look like a dickbag, but I like my music more than I like people" which I'm totally OK with:

Hey man

I've been looking for the perfect metal headphones for over three years. I've heard the Sennheisers, the Audio Technica's, the Roland's, the JVC's, the Sony's, the AEG's, you fucking name it. The best headphones, with a fairly flat response and great sound stage are by far the Shure SRH440's.

They are fairly unknown, but try them out if you can find a pair, and I'll be stumped if you don't find them instantly likeable. 80 hours in and you won't want to take them off your head. If you want you can order the pillows from the 880's later, they help with comfort and add some bass. Oh did I mention that they insulate and isolate better than any other headphones I tried without clamping my head in?

Seriously man, do yourself a favour and get these. I listen to jazz, classical, rock, electronic, noise, ambient, you name it. Mostly metal of course.

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/ ... headphones

DO IT!

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:46 am 

Oh and btw, my headphones before the Shure's were also Sennheiser 201's. They broke on me at EXACTLY the place you are talking about. One day I just decided I need to get something sturdier. I loved the sound on the Sennheiser's though, nice and clear, just a little lacking in bass.

You'll love the Shure's, seriously.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:54 am 

Well, I already bought the JVC's and I'm now not in a position to be spending yet more money on headphones, so these'll have to do for a good long while I imagine. Thanks for the info though - I may look into those if the JVC's break or if I find myself having some extra money laying around waiting to be spent.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:35 pm 

The best cheapo headphones are easily the JTS HP-535. Those are a pretty decent clone of Sennheiser HD 280. Semi closed with good soundstage. Not really bassy but it has nice trebles Imo. Around the price of the HD 201.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:58 pm 

Important update!

The JVC HARX700's came in and I really like 'em. Maybe a bit bassy and could be clearer with the mids and highs, but that should even out some over time. The build quality is great though and they're extremely comfortable. The only problem is that they're fucking cartoonishly gigantic. I thought they would be big, "that guy is an audiophile to the point where he doesn't give a fuck" headphones, but nah. They're more like, "ok, where is the hidden camera?" huge.

So, I broke down and bought a pair of Panasonic RPDJS400K's. They apparently sound pretty good, they look nice, and at $20 the best points of comparison I had were Sennheiser HD201's (which sound good but always break in the same spot) and those generic $20 Sony's that sound...ok, yet always have one or both ears eventually go out, so I figured I'd give the Panasonics a whirl. Plus, the Panasonic's look better than the Sony and Sennheiser phones, have metal bits where the cups attach to the headband, have squishy stuff on top for comfort, and fold flat, which should help them not get crushed in my bag.

Johnny82
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:23 pm 

Right now, I'm using some Sennheiser HD 203 headphones. The treble is nice and clear, and the bass is light, making the music sound evenly clear and bassy at high volumes. I really like these ones. I can blast my ears out without having to worry about blowing them.

$35 at Best Buy.

billreyes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:43 am 

Sony earphones are pretty expensive... I'm still trying to find the best model for me though..

nudecelebrities

Le Fossoyeur
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:00 pm 

I had the AKG K450 for a long time. Good headphones but the cable is shit, very fragile.

I don't listen to music in the street anymore, so I'm ok with the shitty iphone earphones for the 20 minutes/month use.

I use the AKG K272 HD at home, which are excellent headphones. They're neutral, no boosted basses (like the beats shit). It took me some time (not too long) to get used to them, but I can't listen to music with bass boosted equipment anymore. Still, these AKG headphones sound a bit flat on some stuff, they deserve a good headphone amp.

prisonerofourtime
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:15 pm 

I like headphones over the ear, more bass, punch and clear sound, tiny earphones never like me, I buy a lot and never satisfied me, so...
I had Steren headphones since 4 or 5 years, are cheap and good but I want try buy Sony Mdr-v700 one day, I think this two are great to metal.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:00 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I had a pair of Sennheiser HD201's (actually two pairs) but they always break on me - the little bit of plastic where the earphone attaches to the headphone snaps real easy on those.

EpicSceptic wrote:
Oh and btw, my headphones before the Shure's were also Sennheiser 201's. They broke on me at EXACTLY the place you are talking about.

Happened to me a few weeks ago too; while I was reading a guide to help me fix the cables on my HD228s!

One of those "just gotta laugh" moments. :grumble:

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:52 am 

If you want some high quality IEMs, try the Hifiman line. They aren't making the RE-252s anymore, but that's what I have and for earphones they're disgustingly good.

I use Senn 555s modded to be 595s for my main headphones. Eventually I'd like to get another pair of cans, maybe AT M50s, maybe some Grados...I dunno.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:12 am 

Hello all,

Recently my all-time favourite earphones died, the Sony Classic (aka Sony MDR E 819 V (http://ic.tweakimg.net/ext/i/1298465167.jpeg)) with volume control. Turns out they don't make these anymore and they have been replaced by a set I don't really like (complete in ear ones which is something I hate just like headphones).
Despite what a lot of people thought of them, they are very decent, well priced but definitely good metal earphones. I also like the volume control function since I listen a lot at work but when someones talking to me I can quickly put the volume down. Anyone had the same experience with these and found a suitable replacement for them or a general recommendation (or have some old ones laying around??? no problem if one side is dead, I can fix most stuff anyway... or have a non Russian website were they are still for sale (some last ones))

thanks.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:53 am 

Le Fossoyeur wrote:
I had the AKG K450 for a long time. Good headphones but the cable is shit, very fragile.
I don't listen to music in the street anymore, so I'm ok with the shitty iphone earphones for the 20 minutes/month use.
I use the AKG K272 HD at home, which are excellent headphones. They're neutral, no boosted basses (like the beats shit). It took me some time (not too long) to get used to them, but I can't listen to music with bass boosted equipment anymore. Still, these AKG headphones sound a bit flat on some stuff, they deserve a good headphone amp.

I use the AKG K-55s:
http://www.akg.com/K55-1289.html?pid=1864

Any opinion on those, please?

Le Fossoyeur
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:21 am 

I never tried the K55, but it seems to be very cheap (compared to AKG's high end headphones). Sound seems pretty good according to the tests I've read online though. That said, high-end headphone can be found around 100-150€ today, so it's worth investing, considering it will last several years. If you want new headphones, I'd recommend choosing ones without fake leather. There's velvet instead of that fake leather on the K272 HD and that's much more comfortable.

UltraLordExcalibur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:56 am 

I use sony mdr-v6 headphones. The design is extremely old but they're still trusted and i guess they're an industry standard. They're built like a god damn tank. Only drawback is they have a coiled cable. I wear them everywhere. I am curious to know what more expensive headphones sound like, but i doubt they're any more reliable to lug around with me (plus they fold up and it looks really cool).

I'm interested in the shure 840

— Charles Manson, 1988

"You all fucking smell"

— Sigmund Freud

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:10 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
I use the AKG K-55s:
http://www.akg.com/K55-1289.html?pid=1864

Any opinion on those, please?

I have those. The sound is pretty decent for the price. They barely cancel outside noise, but imo that's a matter of personal preference. Only drawback is that I find they get uncomfortable after an hour or so, but that might just be me.

Edit: Sorry, mine are actually K44s.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

levap
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:12 am 

Humble research on headphones/metal subgenres synergy. About 60 headphones. Black, Death, Doom. Goth, Grindcore, Heavy Metal, Industrial, Power, Progressive, Sludge/Stoner, Symphonic, Thrash subgenres.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headpho ... e-solution

Vuvuzela
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:34 am 

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/headphones

i've got a pair of the SRH840s at work, a pair of 940s at home (for reference when i work at the studio) and I love them both.

levap
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:37 am 

SRH840 - one of the best entry level headphones for metal, below my review on them, more reviews available on head-fi (http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headpho ... e-solution)

Shure SRH840
These cans have rather flat frequency response, but they are not too "flat". They have confident tight bass with good extention. Clean, slightly elevated treble. Nice natural mid-range. Soundstage is wide enough, especially for sealed headphones. The sound is airy, which, combined with a relatively flat frequency response and amount of bass perfect for metal, gives very interesting results.

Obvious advantages:
Doom: Sobriety and a lot of bass are better than just sobriety )) Smooth sound with slightly elevated highs, moderately rumbling bass. I expected on general technical assumptions that M50 should be better on Doom. But having parity at bass, 840 have more rich timbre, great midrange of 840 leaves no chance of M50.
Power: Speed, air. Well measured, evil drive. Deep bass. At their level - just fine
Symphonic: A little strange - but very good (for its level of course). Reasonable doses of openness (for closed cans) and lots of emotions.
Progressive: And again, great for the level (and closed cans) result. Wide soundstage, rich timbres, bass - all the way through.

Notable disadvantages:
Death: Bust of bright colors does not look serious.
Grindcore: Needlessly hysterically. Not prohibitive, but very, very unpleasant.
Industrial: Too lightweight for this genre. Balloons look inappropriate on the steel mills.
Thrash: Too hysterical, something more dark and easy (e.g. M50) seems more appropriate.

One of my favorite entry-level ears. For light and bright mood.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:02 pm 

I got this baby last week as a belated birthday gift from my elder cousin. Sounds as sick as it looks.

Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

High Gain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:23 pm 

This thread has given me g.a.s. I'm going to get some grado sr80e headphones and then run them through a schiit yes that's right schiit audio headphone amp. http://www.schiit.com

MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:26 pm 

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a new pair of headphones and I'm considering my options. I want to get ones with a closed cup (either over ear or on ear is fine) that perform well plugged into an iPhone and I have a budget of $150. I'm focusing on Sennheiser as I already have some experience of using one of their in-ear buds and would like to try some of their other lines. I've found three that might be suitable for my needs: the HD 205 II, PX 200-II and HD 449. I'm leaning towards the latter two at the moment with a slight preference for the 449s based on what I've read so far. If any has experience of using any of those or recommendations for alternatives, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

High Gain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:13 pm 

Do an internet search using whatever search engine you use for "Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution". A guy compares many headphones and has a chart that shows which headphones best suit particular genres of metal. The prices of the headphones are a little off, but you will see the models listed and what they are good for. Also if you search hard on that said thread, you'll see what albums were used in the testing of the said headphones. It's one person's opinion so keep that in mind.

MustaSkorpioni09
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:32 pm 

Pretty much any Sony cup headphones (not earbuds) will do the trick. Mine costs about $20.00+tx and it has the small microphone for cellphone use. Be sure to get a warranty for a replacement. The cost was about $3.00+tx. You should be fine and Enjoy Your Metal!

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:24 am 

Le Fossoyeur wrote:
I never tried the K55, but it seems to be very cheap (compared to AKG's high end headphones). Sound seems pretty good according to the tests I've read online though. That said, high-end headphone can be found around 100-150€ today, so it's worth investing, considering it will last several years. If you want new headphones, I'd recommend choosing ones without fake leather. There's velvet instead of that fake leather on the K272 HD and that's much more comfortable.

inhumanist wrote:
I have those. The sound is pretty decent for the price. They barely cancel outside noise, but imo that's a matter of personal preference. Only drawback is that I find they get uncomfortable after an hour or so, but that might just be me.
Edit: Sorry, mine are actually K44s.

I cut the cable on them recently and had to fix them soldering 3 tiny cables they use inside.
What a pain in the ass but they work perfectly again!

mornox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:17 pm 

So, a few months ago I bought the Motörhead phönes and I can wholeheartedly recommend them. While I had to do some fiddling with my realtek EQ settings to get the best sound, pretty much every black, death or thrash album I listen to sounds exquisite. Not only that, I can bump up the volume to a comfortable level without ever hurting my ears, which with my former Sony or Sennheiser in-ear buds wasn't always the case with rawer sounding albums.

The only problems are that they have a tendency to slowly slip out of my ears after a while but that's not a significant problem. A bigger initial problem is that the thin layer of gauze on the inside, due to the rubber covering getting smushed back when you put them in your ear so that the tip with the gauze layer scrapes along your ear-canal, tends to accumulate ear-wax which will significantly block the sound coming out of it. My solution was to just scrape the gauze off, not only solving that problem, but making the sound that bit clearer. I've read reviews of people complaining that the sound started lowering and then practically vanishing from these ear-buds after about a week and I'm pretty damn sure their gauze is just covered up. So, if you get these, just get rid of it.

Aside from these minor hick-ups, these are the best ear-buds I've ever bought.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:25 pm 

o_O

HE LIVES

mornox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:35 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
o_O

HE LIVES

Are you talking about me or the thread? O_O

I've actually posted a bunch of times in the past few months, so I've been back for a while now :p Not a ton, but I'm around after a few years of just lurking. I dunno, for quite a while I just didn't think I had anything to add to any discussions.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:56 pm 

mornox wrote:
So, a few months ago I bought the Motörhead phönes and I can wholeheartedly recommend them. While I had to do some fiddling with my realtek EQ settings to get the best sound, pretty much every black, death or thrash album I listen to sounds exquisite. Not only that, I can bump up the volume to a comfortable level without ever hurting my ears, which with my former Sony or Sennheiser in-ear buds wasn't always the case with rawer sounding albums.

The only problems are that they have a tendency to slowly slip out of my ears after a while but that's not a significant problem. A bigger initial problem is that the thin layer of gauze on the inside, due to the rubber covering getting smushed back when you put them in your ear so that the tip with the gauze layer scrapes along your ear-canal, tends to accumulate ear-wax which will significantly block the sound coming out of it. My solution was to just scrape the gauze off, not only solving that problem, but making the sound that bit clearer. I've read reviews of people complaining that the sound started lowering and then practically vanishing from these ear-buds after about a week and I'm pretty damn sure their gauze is just covered up. So, if you get these, just get rid of it.

The Trigger in-ears? Yeah I have those two. Excellent quality for the buck, the audio, the look, the material quality.... The earwax problem I had with every pair of in-ears I ever owned. What I found helps most is cleaning your ears once in a while, haha...

What sucks is that the gauze came off off the right bud, and I haven't yet figured out how to attach it back. Also I lost the awesome earphone bag that came with them, but that's my own damn fault.

mornox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:27 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
mornox wrote:

The Trigger in-ears? Yeah I have those two. Excellent quality for the buck, the audio, the look, the material quality.... The earwax problem I had with every pair of in-ears I ever owned. What I found helps most is cleaning your ears once in a while, haha...

What sucks is that the gauze came off off the right bud, and I haven't yet figured out how to attach it back. Also I lost the awesome earphone bag that came with them, but that's my own damn fault.

Yeah, it was actually your recommendation which spurred me on to get these when my previous crappy buds failed (sennheiser mx365, worst pair of buds I've ever owned, glad to be rid of them).

Well, with scraping off the gauze, I meant removing the gauze entirely from both earbuds, so you're halfway there :p I clean my ears plenty, so the speed with which these were blocked up was rather dismaying, I even thought I had a defective pair until I accidentally tore off the gauze of the left bud when i was trying to clean it with my fingernail. The sudden and extreme jump in soundquality immediately made me rip off the right bud's gauze as well. :lol: The sound's been amazing ever since.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:53 pm 

Ah you removed them entirely, I somehow didn't get that when I first read your post. Guess that's a way to deal with the problem, but I'd be worried that eventually dirt or earwax will clog up the inside. My left bud still sounds okay to me, so I'll leave it on for now. Gauzes that can be removed for cleaning and reattached would be optimal, maybe I can improvise something...

messer19
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:58 am 

Hi guys, just want to report that I'm using the Creative Aurvana Live! in work for listening. They are simply great for heavy metal (recommended also on head-fi.org as Entry level cans). Very clear sound, punchy bass (not much bass). A little discomfort for prolonged period of wearing but overally I'm very happy. I've bought also AudioTechnica ATH-T500 for home listening. Very comfortable pair and the sound is very similar to CALs! but more robust, and bit heavier bass. Very acceptable for heavy metal too. Highly recommend :) Later would like to check out the Shures SRH840.

Lowtide85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:37 pm 

Hello everyone,

I'm reviving this thread because I need advice on good headphones to listen to metal while traveling on public transportation (buses and subways mostly). I'm currently using a pretty shitty pair of Phillips over ear headphones, model SHP-1900 and I was thinking about buying these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRZX110-Ser ... B00NJ2M33I

I know I can't expect much from such cheap phones but I'd like to know if it's worth buying such models for traveling or if I should just stick to cheap in-ear phones.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:07 pm 

I've tried the Senn 555s (modded to be more like the 598s), M50s, and Beyerdynamic's DT 990 Pro. The Senns are great for music in general, open soundstage and pretty good clarity, balanced etc.

The M50s had too much bass and were WAY too tight on my head, not a fan, sent em back.

The 990s are awesome, what I currently use. Good bass (better than the Senns) without being boomy like the M50s. Pretty solid soundstage, not as balanced as the Senns but lots of clarity and detail. I like em a lot for metal.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Kerpak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:07 am 

Nahsil wrote:
I've tried the Senn 555s (modded to be more like the 598s), M50s, and Beyerdynamic's DT 990 Pro. The Senns are great for music in general, open soundstage and pretty good clarity, balanced etc.

The M50s had too much bass and were WAY too tight on my head, not a fan, sent em back.

The 990s are awesome, what I currently use. Good bass (better than the Senns) without being boomy like the M50s. Pretty solid soundstage, not as balanced as the Senns but lots of clarity and detail. I like em a lot for metal.

M50's are good for stuff like Godflesh and similar industrial (the little of it there is), chug heavy death metal, fear factory... but yeah.

wharton
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:18 am 

Klipsch status can work even outdoor. It also deliver good sound even in rock music.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next