Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:08 am 

I ordered a pare of http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMAN-HE-400-Planar-Efficiency-Headphones/dp/B007ZG32I4 these a day ago. My second option was a grado, except it seems that one supposedly causes discomfort over prolonged periods of listening. I'm lucky. I know a guy through my brother who supposedly has tested many headphones through the 20 day return policy through amazon. My headphones didn't come cheap obviously. Listening to metal has got to be more important that owning metal though, which is what I probably would have spent the money on anyways :-P

Oiras
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:10 am 

I highly recommend this guide here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootou ... d-12-02-12

Thorough reviews of various headphones, complete with pictures and specs, arranged by price range, rated on build quality, comfort, isolation, sound (of course) and overall value for the money. The fellow who put this together appears to be a fan of metal, prog rock and such based on his profile and so makes him all the more relevant a source.

For the record I'm using these, the AKG K518 LE's, which have very good sound and isolation (I got mine for ten dollars less than the current Amazon price) but for me are too snug a fit and can be uncomfortable wearing them after an hour or so. Not enough to be a deal breaker but just be warned (this is a complaint I've seen from other people too, including that very head-fi link above). Supposedly you can stretch the headband out a bit by resting some books or other heavy objects on it for a while but I haven't tried that yet.

LanceCriminal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:15 am 

I've been looking into V-Moda's Crossfade line for general everyday use...they seem pretty tough and more versatile sound wise than Beats or whatever. Anybody here ever tried them?

UnrealReality
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:41 am 

Sennheisers are VERY bad for metal. Metal records usually is recorded with emphasis on the higher-pitched sounds, and therefore you will need some bass-heavy headphones to balance it out.
Sennheisers are, whether you like it or not, quite highpitched. They are technically made for electronic music, bass-heavy orchestral music, and maybe jazz if you have the higher-end ones.

I would suggest Denon for listening to metal. I personally own the Denon AH-D2000's with a Creek OBH-21SE amp, and it sounds great for metal, because they are bass-heavy, with a soft treble and a huge soundstage (they sound almost like a real stereo).

That setup costs 2000 USD with a good CD-player, so it might be too much for some.
The AH-D510's are perfect for the price. They cost only around 100 bucks, and they are 100x better than any consumergrade computer-headset, trust me.

Just keep away from Beasts by Dr. Dredge, and Böse. They are severely overpriced - even the top-end from those brands can't compare with 200-300 dollar headphones from other brands.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:02 am 

I just picked up a set of AKG K44s at Guitar Center for $44.99. Not the loudest, but they sound great. Nice sound field, good bass, good high end. Well worth the $.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/AKG-K-44-He ... 1469833.gc

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:22 pm 

So, hifiman he-400 are the headphones I ordered, and the DAC I ordered arrived today. I was trying them out for the first time today. I was expecting a sort of dramatic difference in sound compared to the Logitech G35 headphones (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-7-1-Chan ... gitech+g35). However, It was difficult to notice a difference. And at the price of 400 dollars, plus 100 dollars for a DAC for the hifiman he-40, I'm not sure if it's really worth it. I'm totally on the edge about if I should keep these headphones or not.

What kind of difference do people notice in their headphones when they have upgraded to higher quality equipment? Apparently it's all preference. Can anyone testify to the purposefulness of high end gear, such as the stuff I just invested in?

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:17 pm 

I was thinking, maybe high end headphones aren't for me. I discovered that perhaps with metal the music isn't made with quality sounding production. Headphones like these he400s I just got could actually make the music sound worse than my old beater headphones because they make flaws in production stand out. That being said, I'm questioning whether or not high end headphones are for me in the first place.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:14 pm 

Has anyone in Europe gotten the chance to use Lemmy's Motörheadphönes? Are they actually good for metal or are we bettter off sticking to our Grados and Shures?

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:16 am 

The best from the cheap ones are the JTS HP-535. They're basically a clone of the Sennheiser HD-280 (I like plain response in headphones, that shit of ultra bass and stuff is for gangstas who like to hear only the beats).

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:48 am 

I returned my hifiman he-400 headphones, DAC and amp for a refund. I realized that the headphones make low quality music sound worse, because it makes faults in the recording stand out. It actually hurt my ears when there were high pitch frequencies.

I also learned from visiting headfi.com that so called 'audiophiles' care more about production and sound quality than they do about music. That, and the fact that the headphones I bought sounded worse than my old ones was my incentive for my decision.

I feel like I couldn't have made a better decision. My old headphones never sounded so good, and that's the last time I fuck around with new headphones. The difference in quality past 100 dollars is more than likely a placebo.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:33 pm 

Reviving this thread for a more specific question:

My left in-ear just stopped working so I need new ones. I'll pay up to maybe 60 € (or $ 80) because I figure I can expect them to break after a few years of keeping them in my pocket. I listen to all kinds of metal, hardcore punk, classic rock, ambient and classical music.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Last edited by inhumanist on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don Karlos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:18 pm 

Klipsch S4. Balanced sound for ear-buds, great fitting and isolation, after using many Sony, Sennheiser and AKG
models found these and been using them for about 2 years(third pair going). Only bad thing is that sound quality is degrading over time, maybe because of crap getting inside or something like that.

For home listening/gaming i have AKG K 272 HD, good price/quality, i can wear these for whole day without any discomfort, very natural sound without usual pronounced loudness. Much better than Beyerdynamics DT880's i used to have, which my buddy broke by sitting on them while we were drinking and listening metal.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:22 pm 

Those AKG's look amazing. I currently have a different model of AKG's that has sound leakage and doesn't exactly isolate sound very well but damn the sound quality is great.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:23 am 

I use Zebronics Brio with both my cellphone and laptop. I have the one in military blue. Surprisingly good for 10$. Powerful bass and it has active noise cancellation, so great for outdoors.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Mrtvovina
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:57 am 

AKH K121

Are great haedphones, I am using them in my studio and For the price I am imprest

http://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_k121_studio.htm
But they are 85 $

If the price is to much then check ot some other headphones on their website

Just dont go with T-bone they are great for drumers for recording but for just listening or recording uitar/vocals/ bass they hurt your head

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:56 am 

2nd try: Can anyone recommend some good in-ear-phones up to $80 ?

I really need them for public transit.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:02 am 

^ Sennheiser MX470

sehr gut

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:36 am 

They look not like the usual in-ears. Are they comfortable?

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:14 pm 

When the larger rubber pads supplied are used they're very comfortable.
I don't use the usual foam ones as they make the sound very poor, and don't sit in the ear so well.

I have tried many brands, and for me these are unbeatable.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:56 am 

I ordered Denon AH-C360 because they were only 20 bucks :|
If the sound sucks I'll just return them, but reviews are pretty positive and if they break after the warranty runs out it's no big loss.

Pidgeon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:19 am 

I found a pair of Panasonics that have monitor quality but with more kick than my sennhiesers had. We've been soul mates ever since.

UnholyBlasphemerAgainstGod
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:52 pm 

I'm looking for a pare of headphones for metal. I made a thread on headfi, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me which one of these suggestions is best http://www.head-fi.org/t/661676/portabl ... headphones

Please and thanks.

Don Karlos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:54 am 

Look no further and get the 550's, you won't regret it

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:29 pm 

Marshall Major is highly compatible with heavy metal. My first taste was listening to it with Asphyx's "Last One On Earth".
The Motorhead headphones may seem gimmick, but it actually sound good, not better than Marshall imo, but it sure creates quite a "live performance" atmosphere.

LanceCriminal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:35 am 

InfernoxDeath wrote:
Marshall Major is highly compatible with heavy metal. My first taste was listening to it with Asphyx's "Last One On Earth".
The Motorhead headphones may seem gimmick, but it actually sound good, not better than Marshall imo, but it sure creates quite a "live performance" atmosphere.

I just looked into the Marshall headphones, had no idea that such a thing existed but those are bad ass! I've got a boner for the Monitor ones, I think I might have to buy em...

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:06 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
Has anyone in Europe gotten the chance to use Lemmy's Motörheadphönes? Are they actually good for metal or are we bettter off sticking to our Grados and Shures?

I just got a pair of "Trigger" In-Ears. They were only 30 bucks. To me they seem like a quality product in every regard, and the sound is pretty good too. It's hard to find earphones these days that have qualities other than "bass", but these were obviously made with metal/hard rock sensibilities in mind. Big recommendation.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:48 am 

The earphones I use when I workout have pretty much crapped out. The jack is an L shape and the smallest movement messes up. Looking for something with at least good bass, preferrably around $20.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:20 am 

Think you got it bad? I have a pair that I got at a dollar store, they popped out of my ears once and the left earbud cracked open and that was the end of that. So I only have the right ear when I listen to music right now. I tried going under volume control and panning everything to the right but there are still songs where the rhythm or lead cuts out during certain parts. FUCK
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:31 am 

My two cents: There can be no good headphones for metal because metal is not headphone music, it needs to breathe in an open room to fully unfold its flavour so to speak. Headphones should only be used out of necessity, such as living in an apartment block with thin walls and anal neighbours, but it should never be the medium of choice.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

RainbowPrius19
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:11 pm 

I have Grado SR 80is and they are the best headphones I have used. That being said if you listen to music around other people or in noisy enviroments they might not be good for you since they are open eared. That means that they let a lot of sound in and out. They are priced at around $99, they are probably the best headphones you are going to get in this pricerange. FYI they do not have a lot of bass but I don't think you will notice it that much.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:03 pm 

UnrealReality wrote:
Sennheisers are VERY bad for metal. Metal records usually is recorded with emphasis on the higher-pitched sounds, and therefore you will need some bass-heavy headphones to balance it out.
Sennheisers are, whether you like it or not, quite highpitched. They are technically made for electronic music, bass-heavy orchestral music, and maybe jazz if you have the higher-end ones.

I disagree, I've had very good experiences with the HD-595 and HD-598 (especially the 598). My only complaint is that the plastic frame is quite weak and will start to look really bad after a few years of use. They're not that bright at all, not compared to a couple of the (very expensive) stereos I've heard.

Also if you use any sort of "product" in your hair the pleather pad that rests on your scalp that the 598 has is a beige color, it will pick up the product and any oils in your hair, AND said product, being sticky by nature, will pick up dirt from the environment, with the results eventually being unsightly black gunk. They chose the beige color because it was inspired by "European luxury cars". The HD 595's black pad is better, believe me.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

InvalidPacket
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:23 pm 

For earbuds I have a pair of Klipsch S4 and they work well enough for me. There's a new model of them coming out so they were on clearance for $20 at my local Radioshack and they usually sell for around $60-80.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:54 pm 

I'm just gonna go ahead and recommend those Motörheadphönes again because they cost <30 bucks, sound pretty good, are made from metal instead of plastic/have fabric-shrouded cords making them seem like a 300€ product instead of a 30€ one and did I mention they are ass cheap and are shaped like bullets?

Seriously, get them if you like your money but still want a high quality product.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:29 pm 

I bought
Spoiler: show
for $10. My old pair wasn't even a pair anymore, one earbud broke open and i just tore it off.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:14 am 

I've got Sony 5.1 surround headphones and these things are beastly especially for metal.

What I love about these is that because they are 5.1, you can hear the music all around your head so bands that use a whole drum kit, it sounds mint.

I can understand they aren't for everyone because they have to be used with a USB input on only PS3 and PC but if you're looking for headphones to use through your computer (or even a PS3), I'd recommend them highly for the $100 price.

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:50 am 

InvalidPacket wrote:
For earbuds I have a pair of Klipsch S4 and they work well enough for me. There's a new model of them coming out so they were on clearance for $20 at my local Radioshack and they usually sell for around $60-80.

I have the same earbuds they are pretty nice, for those that want to take a step beyond, you can go to an ear doctor and get molded earbuds, they use a gel to mold it to the shape of your ear. You have to get a pair of ear buds that are interchangeable like the Klipsch S4 or a similar basic high end one, but its complete noise isolation and it sounds great.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:58 pm 

I recently upgraded from ~$20 earbuds to a Sony MDR-7506 and I'm very pleased with it. The reviews I had seen of them previously had mentioned that they were known for being rather well-balanced (weaker in bass/stronger in treble if anything) which seemed to be just what I would want for metal. The very first album I listened to was Crimson Glory's Transcendence, which I don't think I ever messed with equalizer-wise previously, but admittedly it did seem a little shrill. I think it may have been a matter of getting used to the headphones, however, because shortly later I tried Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger which was one of the few albums I'd actually nuke the highs on with my old earbuds, but which sounded perfectly balanced and powerful now. Overall, there have been no other albums where I didn't feel like there was a nice improvement. I should listen to Transcendence again to see if my impression has gotten more favorable there.

Also, I disagree with the previous comment on how one should pick headphones to the opposite strength of the music one listens. The emphasis of higher-ranged sounds in metal is intentional (at least ignoring doom, sludge, and stuff) because it highlights the tight crunchy riffage many listeners go for in metal, vs (for example) a hip-hop fan that may go more for bass-oriented and beat-centric sound. Someone mentioned being able to actually hear the bass in Reign in Blood being a test for headphone quality; certainly nothing wrong with added clarity and probably a great test (I haven't listened to the album since my new headphones, but I think I will soon). However, I sure as hell don't want to hear Araya's bass on the same level as Hanneman and King's riffing.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:39 pm 

I changed the JTS for a pair of Audiotechnica's ATH-M30, which are just incredible for the price. I use plain eq and these guys sound terrific, much fuller and clearer than the Sennheiser 280's but still being plain.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:05 am 

Anyone have any experience with Yuin earbuds? These look to be pretty damn good for the price, will probably be picking up a pair myself:

http://www.amazon.com/YUIN-Yuin-PK3-Ear ... pd_sim_e_5

I'm not too keen on the in-ear design, so these should be nifty.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:39 pm 

Wanted to dig this up for a fairly specific (albeit noobish) question:

Using Sony MDR-V150 as a standard, how do they (or their ilk) compare to ones more specifically noise-canceling? I want to be able to use the same pair of headphones at home as well as take on the bus, subway, or airplane. Would these do, or do I need to actually get true noise canceling headphones?

thanks.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next