Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:59 pm 

I suppose everyone here likes sodas, right? Which ones are your favourites? Which ones would you like to try, and haven't yet? Which is the worst one you've tried? In terms of colas, do you prefer Coke or Pepsi?

I personally think my favourite soda is ginger ale, but it's hard to find. I also like orange Fanta a lot, and also lemon Fanta - yet lemon Fanta for some reason is really hard to find here in Portugal, yet when I cross the border to Spain I always find it very easely. I don't care for pineapple or grape Fanta.

It's hard for me to decide between Coke or Pepsi, as I like both. I especially liked this kind of Pepsi which was called (I think) Pepsi Mix which was a mix of traditional Pepsi and lemon juice. I don't know if you still can find it though. I also prefer 7Up to Sprite, even though Sprite isn't bad.

I also used to drink Red Bull once in a while, but stopped it cause it got dangerous. The last time I had it, after three sips I started to feel weird and was like "OK. I'm done.". I know of some guy in the US who died after drinking 22 Red Bulls!

As for the worst one I've had, it was Dr. Pepper. I bought a can the last time I was in London and after just a couple of sips I threw it away. Definitely one of the foulest things I ever put in my mouth.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:03 pm 

Hah, Dr. Pepper is pretty much the only soda I still enjoy drinking. Coke and pepsi just taste way too sweet to me.

Cream soda hits the spot once in a while too, as does Barq's root beer...but only Barq's.

Used to be all about the Monster energy drinks too, but I stopped for a similar reason. I'm super-caffeine sensitive and just 1 was enough to make me feel anxious and nauseous. I have no idea how some people (like the guy who owned the restaurant I used to work at) can slam 3 extra-strength Rockstars over one shift.

I've cut back a lot on soda these days (and that's definitely "soda," fuck Illinoisans who call it "pop" :D) since I've drinking a lot more coffee lately on account of work and want to keep my teeth in at least a semi-decent state.

Ambient techno @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/eastward | https://soundcloud.com/valcove

Last edited by Smoking_Gnu on Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:07 pm 

I'm a soda fiend. The ones I drink the most are Coke, Vanilla Coke, Cherry Coke, Mountain Dew, Mountain Dew Code Red, Mountain Dew Voltage, and most recently, A&W Rootbeer. I also like Dr. Pepper, A&W Cream Soda, and Canada Dry Ginger Ale.

The worst soda I have ever had hasn't seemed to been on the market for years, that being Storm. It was a lemon-lime soda, and what was so horrible about it, is even when it was carbonated and fresh, it tasted exactly like flat Sprite. Disgusting.

What would I like to try that I haven't? Any chocolate soda. Apparently that was/is a thing. I think I've only heard negative things about it, but I still want to try it anyway, because to me it sounds good.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:09 pm 

I'm cool with just about any non-diet non-cream soda...except for 7-Up and Sierra Mist. Sprite is awesome, making it the best lemon-lime soda by default. 7-Up and Sierra Mist just taste like death.
One Punch Man
After that: Death Parade and Eureka Seven

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:22 pm 

I liked soda when I was a teenager... but then I realised that i actually like my teeth a lot. If you don't drink soda for a long period and try to drink it one day again, you'll find it a tad nauseating just like in the first few times you've tried to drink it back then.

Soda is poison. It gives you cancer, diabetes and/or heart issues. That shit can unclog pipes. Trust me, I've tested that before. It is not a myth. Coca-Cola is the cheapest pipe cleaning substance ever. So just imagine what it can do to your insides.

So yeah, fuck soda.

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:47 pm 

I like Squirt as long as its half gin.

stainedclass2112
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:15 pm 

My favorite soda has always been ginger ale, I love it so much. I also drink Dr. Pepper and coke every once in a while. I'm not a fan of fruity sodas myself though, although a strawberry soda here and there does hit the spot. When it comes to lemon lime soda, 7-Up is the only one I tolerate, as Sprite is salty and just plain fucking disgusting and sierra mist is just meh. Cherry 7-Up is also pretty awesome.
Quoting your own profile, "How about a nice cup of Shut The Fuck Up?"

TheExodusAttack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:51 pm 

The trick with Dr. Pepper is that its GOTTA be from a soda fountain, and on ice. Idk why but canned or bottled Dr. P just doesn't taste nearly as satisfying. Perhaps this applies to all sodas but it's very necessary for this one.

I grew up drinking diet sodas so for Pepsi and citrus drinks I gotta go for the diet. Regular Coke/Pepis is just cloyingly sweet. I also enjoy Mountain Dew for all-nighter study binges. But overall I drink soda a lot less frequently now that I'm living on my own, compared to living with parents in high school. Saves money just drinking water both at home and when eating out.

Napalm_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:45 pm 

Dr. Pepper is nice when very cold. The taste isn't too pronounced and is very refreshing. Of course all soda is better when cold but Dr. Pepper *has* to be very cold, colder than Pepsi or Coca-Cola. As far as lemonade goes Schweppes is king. A nice and smooth (smoother than 7-Up) but still pronounced and strong (stronger than that Stevia Sprite stuff) taste. I'm annoyed that they don't sell it in 500ml bottles over here.

And Pepsi/Coca-Cola (don't mind which, Pepsi is sweeter but Coca-Cola is more refreshing when cold like Dr. Pepper, both do the job) are great. Drink it most days.

stainedclass2112, on Delain wrote:
...that voice is like Satan's anus breathing. Those symphonic elements are like the tides of the eschaton raping the masses.

Cryptic Writings.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:54 pm 

Goddamn I miss Vanilla Coke. I bought one of the last cans before it disappeared from Canada in 2006, and intended to drink it when the Sens won the Stanley Cup. My sister opened it, which buggered the whole mojo. We lost to the Sabres and so my last smooth Vanilla Coke goodness bore the foul taste of defeat.

Xenophon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:59 pm 

Dr. Pepper or Cherry Coke is usually my jam. A&W Root Beer is also really good, but Barq's and Mug suck.

I sometimes like to mix sprite or blank soda with juice at my uni's dining hall. Cranberry juice + Sprite is probably my favorite combination. Also, at a summer camp once a few friends showed me Blue Powerade + Mello Yello. The result is a fluorescent green drink, looks pretty cool. I remember it was good too, but I forget what it tastes like. I haven't tried that combination in a while.

volutetheswarth
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:13 pm 

Festivus wrote:
I liked soda when I was a teenager... but then I realised that i actually like my teeth a lot. If you don't drink soda for a long period and try to drink it one day again, you'll find it a tad nauseating just like in the first few times you've tried to drink it back then. Soda is poison. It gives you cancer, diabetes and/or heart issues. That shit can unclog pipes. Trust me, I've tested that before. It is not a myth. Coca-Cola is the cheapest pipe cleaning substance ever. So just imagine what it can do to your insides.
So yeah, fuck soda.
Cool story, bro. There's a food thread somewhere where you can talk negatively about fatty foods too.

Sepulchrave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:28 pm 

There's one in my country called Sensation and guys it's the best thing ever. Super unique flavours and very distinctive smell. Asia is my favourite one. Again it's really unique and if any of you cone across it buy it immediately, you won't regret it. Highly doubt it exists outside ex-Yugoslavia though :/

Ку.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:40 pm 

This is one random ass thread, haha.

I was never a regular pop drinker, but I do enjoy them once in a while. I used to drink a lot of Mountain Dew, but I heard that it reduces your sperm count. I stopped drinking that ever since. :lol: I like Vanilla Coke, Pepsi, and ginger ale. Stewart's Cream Soda is also a good one that isn't ridiculously sweet.

One that I've had when I visited my grandparents in Baghdad 15 years ago was Sinalco Lemon Lime. It's a German soda that isn't available everywhere, but I used to love it. I can still kind of taste it in my mouth to this very day.

I'd much rather drink beer over any carbonated drink though.

rexxz, to Deathwish77 wrote:
If I gave you a penny for your thoughts, I'd get change.

awheio
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:07 pm 

I enjoy ginger ale most of all. But I'm picky about it. Schweppes recently had an extra gingery one that was great. But by FAR, by leagues, the best ginger ale is Vernors. If you haven't had it, seek it out.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:41 pm 

Soda is mostly great, but I'm actually not really a big fan of cola. I don't drink much soda at all these days, except for free sodas I get with takeout, but personal favorites are probably pineapple Fanta, Baja Blast Mountain Dew, root beer (Mug is my favorite of the big brands, but give me some smaller company's more authentic stuff, please!) and grapefruit soda. I also really, really like those San Pelligrino lemon and blood orange sodas - delicious.

I also used to drink shitloads of energy drinks as well. I mainly cut back on soda because of the huge amount of sugar, and diet soda can fuck right off because that stuff tastes miserable.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:44 pm 

Yeah, diet soda tastes like complete ass/balls/taint.

Ambient techno @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/eastward | https://soundcloud.com/valcove

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:59 pm 

I am not a big Pepsi drinker but I am stoked for the return of Crystal Pepsi. I remember its first run and was bummed they took it off the market. I hope it does well enough that they keep it. Cola taste without the caramel stickiness.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:16 pm 

The only diet soda that's even remotely passable is Diet Vanilla Dr. Pepper, because it tastes just like regular Vanilla Dr. Pepper. Which still isn't that great. But it's something.
One Punch Man
After that: Death Parade and Eureka Seven

Obfuscation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:18 pm 

Regular Coke drinker here...Pretty much all I drink soda wise these days. I actually quit for a period of time from like 2008-2011 but I started to miss it. My dad has a pretty neat collection of Coca-Cola related stuff too. Growing up I think A-Treat cream soda was my favorite. I have a ridiculous sweet tooth and that was one of the sweetest ones that I can remember drinking. Also Surge, but I think I just tried to convince myself that I was into it cause all of my friends were. I haven't bothered trying it since it was released again. Least favorite probably Ginger Ale, aside from hating the taste, was always told to drink it when having an upset stomach and it never really did anything for me, hah.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:32 pm 

My favorite is probably A&W Cream Soda though Dr. Pepper and Big Red are a lot easier to find. I like sweetness more than bite, so Pepsi does more for me than Coca Cola. I'll drink a Root Beer from time to time, usually Barq's. Oh, and R/C's pretty good. I think Diet anything is pretty terrible.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:37 pm 

Dr. Pepper
Mountain Dew
Izzie (hardly soda, stuff's like 70% juice)
Vanilla Coke
7-Up
Barq's
A&W
Canada Dry
Maine Root

Those are my personal favorites. I work at a Whole Foods so I have easy access to 365/Izzie/Maine Root which are some pretty damn good sodas. The last one has a pumpkin pie soda that kicks so much ass. Also got to try Jones soda a couple days ago (nothing too insane, just root beer and berry lemonade), but it's actually pretty good.

severzhavnost wrote:
Goddamn I miss Vanilla Coke.

That stuff's still around actually. At least it is here.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:07 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Festivus wrote:
I liked soda when I was a teenager... but then I realised that i actually like my teeth a lot. If you don't drink soda for a long period and try to drink it one day again, you'll find it a tad nauseating just like in the first few times you've tried to drink it back then. Soda is poison. It gives you cancer, diabetes and/or heart issues. That shit can unclog pipes. Trust me, I've tested that before. It is not a myth. Coca-Cola is the cheapest pipe cleaning substance ever. So just imagine what it can do to your insides.
So yeah, fuck soda.
Cool story, bro. There's a food thread somewhere where you can talk negatively about fatty foods too.

OK?

This thread's title is "Sodas". So I simply gave my opinion about the subject matter.

dragons_secrets
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:21 am 

I drink exclusively Mt. Dew and mainly its variants that I like which are really only Live Wire, Pitch Black, and Black Label. However I haven't had a Dew in close to a week as I'm trying to quit. I have tried many times unsuccessfully to kick the habit, but I know I should.
" -- Ozzy Osbourne - Breaking All The Rules

Discogs

aaronmb666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:06 am 

I only drink Cherry Coke, but only one can at most a day. I tend to drink two glasses of water(much easier with flavor packs) when Im online. Havent drank Mountain Dew in years.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:41 am 

I used to drink a ton of pop but I've cut it back to 1 or 2 week in the last few years. Dr. Pepper was and always will be my favorite. I'm particularly enjoying the Dr. Pepper with real sugar lately, which tastes quite different from the HFCS version (at least as far as the canned and bottled product goes). Its funny that some of you are talking about how Dr. Pepper has to be super cold. My cousins used to drink it hot. They'd microwave it.

As far as Coke vs Pepsi, I'll always go with Coke. Pepsi is too sweet for me. Cherry Coke over regular Coke. I occasionally like a Vanilla Coke if I come across it.

Napalm_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:48 am 

With stuff like Pepsi Max or Coke Zero, which do taste pretty similar to regular Pepsi or Coke (maybe a bit different, I've never drunk them back to back), I do have to wonder why Diet Coke/Pepsi still exists. Are Zero or Max less healthy or something?

...that voice is like Satan's anus breathing. Those symphonic elements are like the tides of the eschaton raping the masses.

Cryptic Writings.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:51 am 

Love the Dr. P love in the forum, it is truly a great soda.

That being said, I only drink soda with liquor in it, and even then, only club soda. But, when I do have the ocassional one, it's always Dr. Pepper, ginger ale, or grape soda. people make fun of Faygo cause of the juggalo thing, but Faygo grape is so damn good.

ambient
drone
noise for your girlfriend
last.fm

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:20 am 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
With stuff like Pepsi Max or Coke Zero, which do taste pretty similar to regular Pepsi or Coke (maybe a bit different, I've never drunk them back to back), I do have to wonder why Diet Coke/Pepsi still exists. Are Zero or Max less healthy or something?

I heard that Pepsi Max and Coke Zero are exactly the same as the Diet variants. They are both sweetened with aspartame and have no calories. The only difference is the colour of the cans. I heard that Max and Zero were marketed towards men because the black cans make the drinks look less feminine. It's weird, but I think it might be true. :lol:

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:27 am 

Interesting to see that most of you like Dr Pepper. Like I said, the only time I had it I hated it, but it was a long time ago. From what I recall, it was like cola with cinnamon. Is this accurate, or do I have bad memory? Maybe after all these years if I'd have it again I'd probably like it. *shrugs*

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:34 am 

I feel sorry for you Yanks with your corn syrup fructose sodas. Cane sugar or nothing!

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:43 am 

Well here in southern California we get a lot of stuff from Mexico, including their version of Coke with cane sugar. It's good but pricey.

CorpseFister
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:53 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
I also really, really like those San Pelligrino lemon and blood orange sodas - delicious.

San Pelligrino destroys all other fruit sodas. Pomegranate and Orange is king.

Also, Jarritos tamarind soda is tight. Made with cane sugar, really tasty.

severzhavnost wrote:
Goddamn I miss Vanilla Coke. I bought one of the last cans before it disappeared from Canada in 2006, and intended to drink it when the Sens won the Stanley Cup. My sister opened it, which buggered the whole mojo. We lost to the Sabres and so my last smooth Vanilla Coke goodness bore the foul taste of defeat.

Out here in Alberta we recently got back vanilla coke and cherry coke. I picked up a couple cans of each, and the vanilla tasted much stronger and sweeter than I remembered. I don't know if the formula is any different or if was just me, but it wasn't as good as I remember.

Anyone remember Coke Black? Coffee flavoured coke that came out about a decade ago and disappeared quickly. That stuff was delicious.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:02 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:
I also really, really like those San Pelligrino lemon and blood orange sodas - delicious.

I forgot to mention those. San Pelligrino is awesome. I usually go for the OG sparkling water, but the red orange one is so delicious. They taste much more organic than all the other bullshit out there.

Has anyone tried the new Pepsi with ginger? That shit sucks. Ginger is extremely sharp on its own, and it tastes like they put in straight ginger in there. It doesn't go down very smoothly.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:09 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:

Oh man I forgot about them. Their blood orange and prickly pear flavors are awesome

Also Alta Palla is pretty good. Though TBF their stuff tastes almost exactly like San Pelligrino. GUS is pretty good too, if for the cranberry lime, cola, and meyer lemon flavors.

schizoid wrote:
I feel sorry for you Yanks with your corn syrup fructose sodas. Cane sugar or nothing!

365 uses cane sugar actually. I wanna say Izzie does too.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:26 pm 

Honestly I hate the cane sugar sodas. They taste weird and make my teeth feel weird. Corn syrup for life! However, lately I have been cutting back on sweet sodas in favor of flavored (but unsweetened) mineral water. It's mostly the carbonation I love about soda.

Napalm_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:34 pm 

My only experience with San Pellegrino was the fizzy water, which was the day I realised that fizzy water is just blech. When I drink it I can literally taste the gas - or something other than the water - and it's horrible.

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
I heard that Pepsi Max and Coke Zero are exactly the same as the Diet variants. They are both sweetened with aspartame and have no calories. The only difference is the colour of the cans. I heard that Max and Zero were marketed towards men because the black cans make the drinks look less feminine. It's weird, but I think it might be true. :lol:

The thing about marketing to men is true, I think. But is the taste seriously the same? I think its all in my head then because Coke Zero/Pepsi Max tastes much more flavourful to me.

Cryptic Writings.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:56 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
The thing about marketing to men is true, I think. But is the taste seriously the same? I think its all in my head then because Coke Zero/Pepsi Max tastes much more flavourful to me.

Unless you're some wine-tasting nutcase, I don't think you can detect much of a difference. There are some minute differences between regular Coke and Pepsi, but the Diet and Zero/Max ones taste the same.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:27 pm 

My personal favorites are Barq's Root Beer and Red Cream Soda, Dr. Pepper and Pepsi/Coke. I almost feel weird since I don't really have a preference between those last two. Don't really drink much anymore though, for weight-related reasons.

The worst shit I ever had was Vernor's Ginger Ale and that's just cause it felt like it was corroding my throat on the way down.

And yeah, Faygo's not terrible or anything despite its musical association.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:47 pm 

Unity wrote:
Interesting to see that most of you like Dr Pepper. Like I said, the only time I had it I hated it, but it was a long time ago. From what I recall, it was like cola with cinnamon. Is this accurate, or do I have bad memory? Maybe after all these years if I'd have it again I'd probably like it. *shrugs*

If you are remembering cinnamon then I would say you memory is faulty!

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next