Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:00 pm 

Link with the news

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:20 pm 

Can't say that anybody will be surprised. Thanks for the update, I was following this rather closely until lately.

EDIT: For those too lazy to click the link: 9 years.

http://www.myspace.com/thevala
http://www.last.fm/user/Diamhea

Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:53 pm 

I hope he'll write some Varg inspired prison ambient stuff inspired by movies like Kindergarden Cop and Twins.

MonumentalBlackArt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:11 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I hope he'll write some Varg inspired prison ambient stuff inspired by movies like Kindergarden Cop and Twins.

I think this is all that needs to be said. :lol:

Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:11 pm 

ha! His blog will record his inexorable downward spiral into a schizophrenic break making him talk with an imaginary Danny Devito.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:28 pm 

Was anybody else really expecting anything different to happen? Everyone and their dog knew he was either gonna plead or be found guilty.

The only other thing this means is that the other As I Lay Dying members are gonna need to find new bands/jobs now.
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:43 pm 

Quote:
As a result of a plea agreement, Lambesis could serve nine years according to a court clerk.
Only nine years? Meh.... I get that it's attempted murder and not actual murder, but that seems pretty low still.
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:48 pm 

It didn't say if he was eligible for parole, but if he is then he could get out even sooner than that.

dystopia4
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:51 pm 

I get that it was part of a plea deal, but yeah seems a bit lenient as he'll probably be out in 6 or 7. They could have been harsher with the deal as it's not like they couldn't easily convict him without one given the evidence against him.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:56 pm 

If he goes the full nine, he'll be 42 when he gets out. Maybe they think him spending the rest of his 30s in prison is punishment enough?

FasterDisaster
So Fast, You'll Crash

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:27 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
I get that it was part of a plea deal, but yeah seems a bit lenient as he'll probably be out in 6 or 7. They could have been harsher with the deal as it's not like they couldn't easily convict him without one given the evidence against him.

It's not like he killed anybody.

DID SOMEBODY SAY SLAMMING BRUTAL DEATH METAL

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:43 pm 

I remember years ago there was this show on NBC called World's Most Amazing Videos. One story they featured on the show was an undercover cop posing as a hitman videotaping his "business deal" with a Wisconsin man named James Schuman. Schuman wanted his wife dead as they were going through a rather bitter, messy divorce and he didn't want to pay her alimony. He did the same stuff that Tim Lambesis did; give the hitman dates when he'll be away so he'd have an alibi, put down deposit money on the deal, and reiterate numerous times throughout the conversation that he wanted her dead. He got 35 years.

Lambesis could have had it a WHOLE lot worse.

dystopia4
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:02 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
dystopia4 wrote:

But if it wasn't a fake hitman he was talking to, his actions would have.

And yeah, I remember in the one episode of Cops I watched that wasn't total shit they caught a chick trying to have her husband killed. She got 20 years. I mean 9 is still a long time, but I don't think it is particularly harsh seeing as he was in essence attempting to murder someone and could have very well have gotten his way if it was not for the undercover cop.

BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:04 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Quote:
As a result of a plea agreement, Lambesis could serve nine years according to a court clerk.
Only nine years? Meh.... I get that it's attempted murder and not actual murder, but that seems pretty low still.

He should have been Norwegian. He could have actually killed her and only served a few months past 9 years.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:25 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:

But if it wasn't a fake hitman he was talking to, his actions would have.

I think it was supposed to be a joke.

I giggled.....

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:16 am 

Nine years huh? He'll be out on parole in four and a half, with good behavior of course. I have not really been paying much attention to this, though it is definitely in my area of expertise. I have been out of the loop a bit.

The California criminal code is a little difficult to read, and I read statutes all the time. The best I can tell, nine years was the maximum available penalty for this charge in California. There are three possible penalties: three, six, or nine years. Kind of an odd statute and it does not lay out considerations to follow in determining which of the three penalties to follow. The article does not say, nor can I find any reference to whether the prosecutors offered to recommend the nine year penalty or not. I suspect the deal was to drop the other charge(s).

Last edited by Shadoeking on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:29 am 

If a pop singer did that they would just get sent to rehab and community service for 90 days, and a couple years probation...

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:46 am 

The things relationships gone bad do to our brains is amazing, but he was stupid to act on it.
Nine years is very lenient for such a serious offense

MutantClannfear
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:54 am 

AcidWorm wrote:
If a pop singer did that they would just get sent to rehab and community service for 90 days, and a couple years probation...

No they fucking would not. There's a huge difference between the DUI-type stuff that pop stars get booked for and specifically seeking a professional hitman to murder your own goddamn wife. Don't be stupid.

TrogDawn wrote:
Azmodes wrote:
What's with the orange, dude?

Personal trademark. I've been posting in orange since I started frequenting forums in 2002. You'll always remember me because I'm the guy who posts in orange

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:13 am 

Thexhumed wrote:

Don't worry guys, those of us who've seen The Shawshank Redemption know he escapes.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheEndTimeRiff
http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:32 am 

Some of that guy's facial features in that pic are disturbingly close to what I occasionally observe in the mirror... Let him ride the lightning, will you?

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:46 am 

Subrick wrote:
I remember years ago there was this show on NBC called World's Most Amazing Videos. One story they featured on the show was an undercover cop posing as a hitman videotaping his "business deal" with a Wisconsin man named James Schuman. Schuman wanted his wife dead as they were going through a rather bitter, messy divorce and he didn't want to pay her alimony. He did the same stuff that Tim Lambesis did; give the hitman dates when he'll be away so he'd have an alibi, put down deposit money on the deal, and reiterate numerous times throughout the conversation that he wanted her dead. He got 35 years.

Lambesis could have had it a WHOLE lot worse.

Well, you have to remember this is a plea deal. He's pleaded to a lesser charge. That other dude bro probably wasn't so lucky, or flexible. And I must say the thread's title is a bit misleading: he wasn't found guilty; he pleaded guilty. Court room nitpicking, I can't help myself. :P

Thrashpit
Last FM

Hawksword192
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:49 am 

Shadoeking wrote:
Nine years huh? He'll be out on parole in four and a half, with good behavior of course. I have not really been paying much attention to this, though it is definitely in my area of expertise. I have been out of the loop a bit.

The California criminal code is a little difficult to read, and I read statutes all the time. The best I can tell, nine years was the maximum available penalty for this charge in California. There are three possible penalties: three, six, or nine years. Kind of an odd statute and it does not lay out considerations to follow in determining which of the three penalties to follow. The article does not say, nor can I find any reference to whether the prosecutors offered to recommend the nine year penalty or not. I suspect the deal was to drop the other charge(s).

It's the trial judge discussion. California has a penalty triad for various statutes in which three possible sentences are listed in order to give the judge the ability to mete out harsher/lenient punishment according to the circumstances. Typically, the trial judge is required to indicate why he did when it is inevitably appealed to a higher (appellate) court. In this case, he won't get nine because he admitted to it. If he apologizes, says he's sorry, and plays the pertinent sinner deserving of punishment, then the judge will unlikely give him 9.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:57 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
AcidWorm wrote:

No they fucking would not. There's a huge difference between the DUI-type stuff that pop stars get booked for and specifically seeking a professional hitman to murder your own goddamn wife. Don't be stupid.

Do I need emoticons to show that it was a tongue in cheek comment?

I was poking fun at all the special treatment that pop singers get and there has been a fair bit of that in the news recently as you are aware of judging by your comment. Amnda Bynes, Lindsay Lohan, and Justin Bieber to name a few. They take plea deals that drop some of the more serious charges that would probably land anyone of the general population in Jail for 6 months or more. Clearly I can see the difference between a DUI and contract killing.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:27 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
And yeah, I remember in the one episode of Cops I watched that wasn't total shit they caught a chick trying to have her husband killed. She got 20 years. I mean 9 is still a long time, but I don't think it is particularly harsh seeing as he was in essence attempting to murder someone and could have very well have gotten his way if it was not for the undercover cop.

Oh God if we're thinking about the same one it is hilarious. The one I've seen the husband works with the cops and they act like the hitman did his job. She comes back home from the gym to the "crime scene" and faux-cries in the most hilarious fashion. They take her into the police station and the husband walks into the room. Look on face = priceless.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:34 pm 

I remember that episode too. Haven't seen it in years, but I do remember watching it.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:35 pm 

Maybe he will be able to join a prison band called The Lady Killers with Robert Blake and produced by Phil Spector.

dystopia4
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:50 pm 

Haha yeah it was that one. I don't even like the show but that was classic. Her fake hysteria was hilarious.

MonumentalBlackArt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:09 pm 

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-ne ... -yesterday

Some of these. o_O :brick:

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:25 pm 

Why are so many people assuming the band is finished? Did they admit as such, and if so, why? He was hardly the most exciting or original part of As I Lay Dying, which always lived or died by the riffs...Does he have ownership over the name, thus precluding the other members from using it in his absence?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:31 pm 

The band can still manage without him. He wrote the lyrics and contributed to songwriting, but the guitarists are the ones in this band with the ability to keep this thing going. Even if they were to switch names, there's enough chemistry within the group to continue.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:42 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Why are so many people assuming the band is finished? Did they admit as such, and if so, why? He was hardly the most exciting or original part of As I Lay Dying, which always lived or died by the riffs...Does he have ownership over the name, thus precluding the other members from using it in his absence?

Well there's also an interview that Nick Hipa I believe it was did at NAMM where whenever he mentioned AILD he spoke entirely in the past tense, so there's that too.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:02 pm 

MonumentalBlackArt wrote:
http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/tim-lambesis-trial/15-shocking-fan-reactions-to-the-tim-lambesis-trial-outcome-yesterday

Why oh why did I click that link
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:11 pm 

A bunch of tweets like that were inevitable. Shit like that is why the Tumblr blog Public Shaming exists.

http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:10 am 

Morrigan wrote:
http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/tim-lambesis-trial/15-shocking-fan-reactions-to-the-tim-lambesis-trial-outcome-yesterday

I fucking hate this world.

Thrashpit
Last FM

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:11 am 

The best ones are the ones that talk about injustice. Yes, it's so unfair that he was sentenced to several years in prison for a crime he confessed to. DAMN THE JUDICIAL SYSTEM.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:20 am 

But they're being deprived of further music from their favorite shitty band. Obviously that trumps less important things like the continued existence of a woman who did nothing wrong.

That horrible, indescribably evil bitch, she is.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:32 am 

Morrigan wrote:

At LEAST one of those comments has to be in jest. Specifically the one about them being their favorite Christian Metalcore band.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

MonumentalBlackArt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:02 am 

If anything I would say the first one was a joke. That one you're talking about, well, we can only hope.

J_Ason
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:47 pm 

Nine years doesn't seem too light at all to me. If an otherwise legal citizen tries something like this and gets caught with their dick in the cookie jar, it's probably not something they're gonna try again.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next