Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Rommper
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:18 pm 

Hey

I will have a trip to Rome from 11th of July to 16th of July with my girlfriend. I made this thread to ask some questions. My main concern would be that as far as I know people are really religious still there, so as a metalhead can you get into "trouble" with people for metal t-shirts etc? Also, will there be some interesting local metal related places/concerts there worth checking out at the mentioned time? I also appreciate any non-metal related tips/warnings etc.

Thank you very much

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:00 pm 

:lol: I really doubt it unless you go to the Vatican in a Exhorder t-shirt or something overtly blasphemous. You come from a Catholic country, you should know the rules. I lived in the more religious of the country for a year and never had any problems.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:23 pm 

Yeah, if you plan on seeing the Vatican, you won't be able to wear a metal shirt (for the most part). They actually have rules for what you can and can't wear. I am not a religious person whatsoever, and I would still recommend seeing it. The Papal Basilica of St. Peter alone is worth going for the architecture.

Most of the "touristy" things are worth doing. The coliseum is awesome, so is Ancient Rome. When I was visiting Ancient Rome, there was a massive thunderstorm creeping just behind it, which made for some amazing photographs. I was only in the city for a few days before heading north toward Venice, so I didn't have time to look into any metal related stuff, it wasn't on my radar. I did see Springsteen live in Italy, which was insanely amazing. The Italian audience really blew any audience in North America away; I'd imagine their passion for metal is just as intense.

Ps: find a place that has a good bucatini all'amatriciana. The best I've ever had was in Rome at Trattoria Vecchia Roma, which is somewhat near The Coliseum (just over a kilometre i think)

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:05 pm 

I remember there were specific dress codes for the Sistine Chapel. I can't remember how strict though. Perhaps no sleeveless shirts/opened-toed shoes or something like that. It didn't even occur to me at the time I went to not wear a metal t-shirt, but I guess I just happened to wear something else that day. I'm curious to know what they would or wouldn't allow.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:07 pm 

ObservationSlave wrote:
I remember there were specific dress codes for the Sistine Chapel. I can't remember how strict though. Perhaps no sleeveless shirts/opened-toed shoes or something like that. It didn't even occur to me at the time I went to not wear a metal t-shirt, but I guess I just happened to wear something else that day. I'm curious to know what they would or wouldn't allow.

I remember one of the criteria (at least when I was there, it may have changed since) was that you couldn't wear shorts, and women's skirts had to be below the knee.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:36 pm 

The Pantheon is quite impressive. Allow most of a day to get through the Vatican.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:47 am 

Rommper wrote:
Hey
I will have a trip to Rome from 11th of July to 16th of July with my girlfriend. I made this thread to ask some questions. My main concern would be that as far as I know people are really religious still there, so as a metalhead can you get into "trouble" with people for metal t-shirts etc? Also, will there be some interesting local metal related places/concerts there worth checking out at the mentioned time? I also appreciate any non-metal related tips/warnings etc.
Thank you very much

I never had any problem with this during my trips:
http://viviendoapesardelacrisis.blogspot.com/2013/08/planificar-viaje.html
In fact, I was approached by a priest in a church while wearing my DeathSpell Omega tshirt (I didn't notice) and he ended showing me the whole church and a black crucified Christ they had there.
In Rome, ask for Mala Tempora pub:
http://viviendoapesardelacrisis.blogspot.com/2013/08/vacaciones-en-italia.html

Rommper
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:09 am 

Thank you all for the answers.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:44 am 

spend some time googling "tourist scams italy", and always count your change... :/

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:56 pm 

Yeah I'd recommend a bar called "Bir & Fud" - they have a beer there called Spaceman IPA and it'll curl your toes
Or at least they did have it a few years ago

kellyon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:25 am 

I'm in the same boat! I found cheap flights to Rome recently and want to spend a few days there too. One of my friends advised me to visit the church of San Pietro in Vincoli, Santa Maria Maggiore and Basilica di San Clemente and walk up to the Circus Maximus. I've never been there before so I guess it will be awesome trip.

Reply to topic