* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MrMcThrasher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:28 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
just want to share the recipe i'll do tonight
it's fetuccine with bechamel sauce, ham, brocoli and asparagus. You put that on a pan and add cheese on top and put it on the oven to make it melt. Will be delicious

That sounds pretty good...
I'm just going to make some Angel Hair tonight. Butter, salt, pepper, and some asparagus on the side. Simple and tasty.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:26 pm 

Thanks to work, I've been unable to go grocery shopping the entire week and have been living off of the occasional pizza and frozen dumplings that were left in my freezer when I moved into this place (which will end today, stocking up on cheese, salmon, tortillas, chicken breasts TODAY).

Now, I don't think much of dumplings, save for the ones my Austrian uncle used to make and steamed shrimp dumplings in Hong Kong, there is a way to make these frozen abominations palatable, and it's quick.

One, boil them to unfreeze them (once they start spinning in the boiling water that is time enough).

This is the worst part, getting them out of the pot, the fucking things reek to high heaven (seriously, they smell like a wet dog).

Once that is done (man I hate boiled dumplings, barf) - fry them briefly in a frying pan (I use extra virgin olive oil as that's the only oil I have at the moment, but any oil will do) - use the oil sparingly, a few big drops is enough, make sure to fry them on each side so they are crispy all over and not soggy, then serve in a plate with a shitload of vinegar on them - it's not bad, I usually have eight at a time and while it won't fill you, it will quell the pangs of hunger somewhat.

Truth be told though, unless you're on a budget, it's better to be making food that you actually really want to eat.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:05 am 

My girlfriend left town for a music festival, and there was barely any food ingredients at all left here. Since it was a 4 days party binge thing for me i decided i'd spend my money on partying and just make do with what i had around here. Just when i thought i was out of everything - i managed to rustle up some boiled, shredded carrot, steamed chilli flake, soy sauce cabbage, a couple leftover seaweed rolls, and the last part of a jar of cranberry sauce, some rice flavoring, and some cream cheese. Whipping up a rather unusual mix of stuff for sushi here, but i bet it's gonna taste good anyway. desperate times, desperate measures. By the time the whole things soaked in soy sauce, and smattered with cream cheese, it'll be good, for sure.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:33 am 

that seems great! cooking is art, whatever you can find, it can fit in you creation

btw, i check your band, pretty nice!! i'm gonna fuck you tonight!!!

would be cool to see if any of you have special «romantic» recipes to share!!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:35 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
My girlfriend left town for a music festival, and there was barely any food ingredients at all left here. Since it was a 4 days party binge thing for me i decided i'd spend my money on partying and just make do with what i had around here. Just when i thought i was out of everything - i managed to rustle up some boiled, shredded carrot, steamed chilli flake, soy sauce cabbage, a couple leftover seaweed rolls, and the last part of a jar of cranberry sauce, some rice flavoring, and some cream cheese. Whipping up a rather unusual mix of stuff for sushi here, but i bet it's gonna taste good anyway. desperate times, desperate measures. By the time the whole things soaked in soy sauce, and smattered with cream cheese, it'll be good, for sure.

That's the way though, sure, it might suck, but live and learn.

Today I 'made' (okay, put together) - cream cheese and smoked salmon on a bagel (plain), with fresh lemon juice and a dash of black pepper on it. If that's not a Sunday brekkie I don't know what is.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:08 am 

Tonight I'm making Roast Pork belly with a homemade plum/ginger sauce, brown rice and a vege stir-fry with bok choy, chillis, capsicum, cashews and corriander.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:18 am 

Nice. While not a fan of the fruits themselves, plum and apricot sauce is really good. You ever tried it with roast duck? Heaven right there.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:26 am 

I would like to say that yesterday I made a sandwich which in addition to other ingredients had a layer of provolone cheese, a layer of mozzarella cheese, and a layer of parmesan cheese. It was pretty good.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:50 pm 

Alright, I've got a food question that maybe someone could answer. I just made myself some fried rice for lunch, and while it's pretty good, something is missing. I cooked it in a mix of canola and sesame oil with onions, mushrooms, peas, an egg, brown rice, soy sauce, brown rice vinegar, some chopped almonds and some sunflower seeds. Whenever I see them make it at restaurants they always add some sort of brown paste that adds more flavor. Anyone know what that might be, and if so, if I can get it at a regular grocery store?

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:08 am 

What kind of restaurants? Asian ones? I hardly ever eat rice, but the Chinese make a simple dish of rice with egg and tomato that's really good, and the Koreans like fried rice with kimchi and/or tuna which is also pretty decent. I would look for recipes but it's pretty self-explanatory - just mix it all up together and fry it.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:12 am 

It depends on the type of fried rice you want to make. Thai fried rice is flavored with little more than fish sauce and soy sauce, and it's delicious.

Though, if you're looking for the ultimate simple rice dish, try this - it's fucking great, and easy as hell (requires a rice cooker, though):

Fry some garlic or shallots in a tablespoon of flavorless vegetable oil (such as peanut or corn oil). Add two cups of uncooked rice and a tablespoon standard, store-bought curry powder (or to taste), mix well. Place in rice cooker with several pieces of chicken (I prefer dark meat, such as thighs, but anything works), add two and a half cups of chicken broth and a tablespoon or two of fish sauce. Turn rice cooker on. Keep in mind, amount of liquid may need to vary based on amount of chicken and on your rice cooker, so don't be afraid to add more if you don't think it'll be enough to fully cook the rice.

The result is absolutely delicious.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:02 pm 

i've just discover an awesome cooking book, Natural Harvest - A collection of Semen-Based Recipes. That's just awesome, my mother was disgusted but, i'm open to try some!!! you can find it on pdf on torrent sites

Oblarg, i will definitely try this fried rice, looks good

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:47 pm 

Thanks for the tips, I got some really good sesame garlic sauce at the store that I think might do the trick. Oh, and I'm talking about Japanese restaurants.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:06 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
i've just discover an awesome cooking book, Natural Harvest - A collection of Semen-Based Recipes. That's just awesome, my mother was disgusted but, i'm open to try some!!!

Really? Everyone's just gonna let that pass? Okay then- HUH?!?!?!?!

I've looked this up, and I'm still not convinced its for real.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:37 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
Metantoine wrote:
i've just discover an awesome cooking book, Natural Harvest - A collection of Semen-Based Recipes. That's just awesome, my mother was disgusted but, i'm open to try some!!!

i think it's pretty real, i downloaded the pdf!
this site looks serious, http://www.cookingwithcum.com/
i told some friends about it, they're not very convinced and quite disgustes

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:46 am 

CorpseFister wrote:

We try to ignore stupid shit like that so a fairly interesting thread won't get locked.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:23 pm 

Indeed. Cooking is one of the fine arts in competitive reality TV that's not completely saturated by gays, and Metantoine starts talking about eating some ejaculate. That stops here, OK?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:03 pm 

yeah, sorry, only tried to be a bit informative, i don't think this book would sell very well :)

Errebuss
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:39 am 

Does anyone here like Indian food? I'm looking for a good chicken tikka masala recipe. Or any great curry recipe.

I've looked up recipes online, but everytime I try to cook Indian food from scratch, it turns out tasting awful.

SJDJ
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:55 pm 

Personally I love BBQ chicken the most but I also have a few different steak, pasta and salad recipes I love to employ as well.

Barbeque chicken is just so easy, quick and you can get some amazingly dramatic flavours from it depending on sauces/spice mixes you make/use for it. Plus chicken goes good with almost anything like garlic sauteed Asparagus and Carrots, mashed potatoes, whatever! It's awesome and so easy.

Here is a personal favourite recipe that I have that is amazing with BBQ chicken (and according to my girlfriend and her family is delicious with so many other things too but I haven't tried anything else yet). It's really simple too.

“Sunshine Barbeque Sauce”

1 small yellow onion, diced
1 small bunch green onions, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small sweet pepper (yellow or orange), diced
4 ribs celery, diced
2 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp sesame oil
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
9-12 oz. yellow mustard
8 oz. light brown sugar (or less for a tangy, less sweet sauce)
ground ginger, to taste

Sauce Preparation:

1. Place all vegetables on sheet pan.
2. Drizzle with sesame oil and extra virgin olive oil.
3. Roast in oven until tender (about 15 min. at 450F).
4. Whisk mustard, brown sugar, sesame seeds, and ginger.
5. When vegetables are done, combine with mustard mix.
6. Allow to sit at least 30 minutes before use.

Chicken Preparation:

1. Season chicken pieces of your choice with salt, pepper, garlic, and Italian seasoning.
2. Allow to marinate at least 30 minutes before grilling.
3. Grill chicken until almost done and baste with sauce (at halfway point, chicken can be basted and finished in 350F oven).
4. Once chicken is done (with an internal temperature of 165F for 15 seconds), add additional sauce or enjoy as is!

I got this recipe from Throwdown with Bobby Flay; it was one of the participant's recipes. The creator of the recipe is Sgt. Brad Turner. I tend to leave out the Ginger but it is amazing and will stay with me forever. Give it a try.

Back when my masturbating to 13 year old girls wasn't considered perverse.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:21 pm 

i've just done a good salmon filets recipe, 4 filets in a papillote in the oven with some mango, red onion, maple syrup, lime juice, that's it, it was very great, i served it with white rice.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:15 pm 

Good to see this thread alive again! Sadly I have nothing to contribute, it's getting warmer so I'm hardly eating, unless beer, raw salmon and very rare steak counts as cooking, I'm not sure.

Metantoine wrote:
i've just done a good salmon filets recipe, 4 filets in a papillote in the oven with some mango, red onion, maple syrup, lime juice, that's it, it was very great, i served it with white rice.

The mango and maple syrup makes that sound incredibly sweet, how much onion and lime juice did you add to counter that?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:21 pm 

i've put one relatively big red onion and 2 tea spoon of lime juice for 4 medium filets. thanks for the interest

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:25 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
i've put one relatively big red onion and 2 tea spoon of lime juice for 4 medium filets. thanks for the interest

No worries mate, never heard of someone using mango with salmon, so I was curious (sounds like something they'd do in Thailand though), and the maple syrup, well, you are Canadian! Speaking of which, if you have any authentic poutine recipes I'd like to hear it - technique, cheese used, which gravy, amount etc.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:37 pm 

well, it's cheese curds, fries and gravy. I usually buy the sauce in a packet of powder when i do one, but i eat them in restaurant most of the times. I've found a good recipe, dunno if you can find the hot chicken sauce, i think so. There's many versions of the gravy, light or more dark, creamy or more liquid, you got to choose which one you like

Quick recipe, Sorry, it's a botched translation
ingrédients
1/4 cup hot chicken sauce
1/4 cup of ketchup
1/4 cup of brown sugar, au goût
3 or some drops of Tabasco
2 à 3 drops Worcestershire
2 à 3 drops of vinegar
2 cups of water

great exemple of how i love my poutine

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:48 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
well, it's cheese curds, fries and gravy. I usually buy the sauce in a packet of powder when i do one, but i eat them in restaurant most of the times. I've found a good recipe, dunno if you can find the hot chicken sauce, i think so. There's many versions of the gravy, light or more dark, creamy or more liquid, you got to choose which one you like

Quick recipe, Sorry, it's a botched translation
ingrédients
1/4 cup hot chicken sauce
1/4 cup of ketchup
1/4 cup of brown sugar, au goût
3 or some drops of Tabasco
2 à 3 drops Worcestershire
2 à 3 drops of vinegar
2 cups of water

great exemple of how i love my poutine

Jesus, I've never seen anything that looked so good and hazardous to your health at the same time. this just looks like a tripple bypass. A tastey, tastey tripple bypass.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:22 pm 

Oh man, a new place that serves only poutine opened up near my house. It’s great- the cheese curds so fresh they squeak (this is important) and its open till 2am. They’ve got one served with montreal smoked meat on top and a drizzle of mustard. It’s amazing. I WANT RIGHT NOW.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:38 pm 

Cheers Metantoine, I don't think I've ever had proper poutine before, as I most definitely don't remember cheese curds!

That recipe did, however, remind me of a South African sauce/burger called monkey gland:

1 onion finely chopped
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
125ml water
1 tin chopped peeled tomatoes
250ml tomato sauce
125ml Worcestershire sauce
200ml Mrs. Balls hot chutney
6 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
Oil for frying

http://cookbook.co.za/sauces/monkey-gland-sauce/

The chutney may be hard to find, but it's a really tasty sauce, on par with Nando's peri-peri chicken burgers even (a franchise that blows all other chicken joints out of the water):

http://www.nandos.com/sections.html#Our%20Food

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:06 pm 

looks good, yeah if you can't find cheese curds, don't bother to try to do a poutine, that's a quintessial ingredient!

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:13 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
looks good, yeah if you can't find cheese curds, don't bother to try to do a poutine, that's a quintessial ingredient!

I'm going to find stuff to make this, and I will enjoy it thuroughly. Any tips? I mean it seems simple enough but are there any special ways you should prepare this?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:53 pm 

well, follow the vague explications i gave Waiguoren or do a roadtrip to Montréal :)

SJDJ
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:35 pm 

Yea it's not hard at all to make a good poutine. Met speaks like a true QCer and says only use Cheese curds and I agree that it's the best that way but if you want you can substitute flavourful shredded cheese. Make sure it's a good cheese though, if it's that cracker barrel garbage or any other mass produced cheese then it will be flat, bland and flavourless.

If you want to add a bit of heat you can add either: A bit of hot sauce or B.) your favourite type of hot pepper finely chopped at the end of the cooking of the sauce.

The BEST way to do it would be with home cooked fries too. Very easy to make, grab some potatoes (or sweet potatoes if you want to be somewhat healthier) and a small sauce pot of peanut oil (Has a much higher smoking temperature). Cut the potatoes into eighths and put the pot on the range on high (on my 1-10 range I put it on 8). Wait a few minutes for the oil to heat up (quickly dip a potato slice in, if it sizzles it's ready to go). Once it's ready go ahead and throw in your potatoes. Cook for 2-5 minutes. Try one to make sure they are up to snuff. Pull them out, put them in a piece of paper towel and pat them down to remove excess oil. Salt to taste. (You can save the oil in a container for reuse at a later date)

The gravy is fairly common both in a canned and a powdered form in Canada... I can't speak for other countries though. Met's recipe looks easy enough.

And I will definitely be trying the Monkey Gland Sauce.

Edit: So after looking at Met's recipe again I got a bit confused by this hot chicken sauce. I am not entirely sure what that means (I assume chicken broth/stock) but I looked up a fairly simple recipe base for those who want to experiment.

Velouté sauce
If you'd like a poutine sauce where you have a little more control over what comes out, here's a basic sauce which you can use as a base. While you could use it for a poutine sauce as described, you should at least add salt and pepper to taste.

1 quart stock: chicken or veal
2 ounces flour
2 ounces butter or oil

Bring the stock to a boil in a saucepan.

Combine the fat and flour, cook over high heat, stirring until you have a pale roux (2-3 minutes).

Whip the roux into the stock. Simmer (30-40 min), skimming the surface every 5-10 minutes. Strain the sauce through a chinois or strainer lined with cheesecloth. Salt and pepper to taste.

The above is the recipe for the Velouté sauce, which is the base for a poutine sauce. To make it into a poutine sauce, reduce it by a factor of 2-4 over medium heat. You can also try one of the following modifications:

Modifications :

Add 2 Tsp of pepper to the roux before adding to the stock, for an extra-peppery sauce. Floor-sweeping pepper (the kind sold pre-ground, in bulk) is preferred by classicists.
Add 2 Tsp of fresh ground green peppercorns to the stock while reducing.
Prior to adding the stock, dice 1 small sweet onion into the saucepan, add 2 TBsps of balsamic vinegar, and reduce.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:09 am 

Metantoine wrote:
well, follow the vague explications i gave Waiguoren or do a roadtrip to Montréal :)

why why HELL would I go to Montreal? Nothing cool up there ;)

Definitely going to try home fries. I might find a classy cheese place to buy cruds from, I want to make this stuff right. If this goes well I'm surely expirment. The poutine with meat and mustard got me thinking some corned beef and 1000 island dressing might be a cool addition to this dish, maybe even some sourkraut. I realized, it'd be like mixing a rueben and poutine together. Even if it tasted like ass, you'd get some good names out of it, like Routine or Poubin.

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:17 am 

Necroghast wrote:
Sinvocation wrote:
Every time I've ever had tofu it was like chewing on fucking whale blubber. And for me, there texture would normally put me off, but I might have to try that recipe once.

Tofu is ridiculously delicious when you buy the right brand and prepare it correctly. I'm a vegetarian so I eat it a lot. Lucky for me both my parents are vegetarians as well and have been since before I was born, so my mom sure knows a whole lot about vegetarian cooking. Anyone else a vegetarian?

I'm still an occasional meat-eater but am transitioning into being a proper vegetarian at the moment. It's kind of hard because so much of my diet revolved around meat before. Quorn has helped some, but long-term I want to move away from that into "proper" vegetarian cooking, rather than simple 1:1 meat substitution. I started this low meat regime as an experiment initially, but it's been working well for me so I intend to see it through to its conclusion. I feel confident that I'll eventually be able to cut out meat entirely without really missing it. This is a big deal to me as I fucking love meat; I'm really quite pleased with how all this is going! My ultimate goal is veganism but sadly I can't see myself ever getting past lacto-vegetarian.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:20 pm 

FUCK I REALLY WANT SOME POUTINE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!

Never tried it. Anyway, i'm finally back into pizzas. Havent been making them for the last couple of months. But yeah - last night i made two. They were both different, but i used varying toppings including green olives, spinach, rad capsicum, roast chicken, white mushrooms, tomatoes, chilli flakes, camembert cheese, edam cheese, and BBQ sauce. So delicious on a cold evening. I would have shiown pics, but imageshack is a giant asshole and won't keep me logged in - meaning i have to reset my password simply to use it. retarded. need a new image hosting site that isn't lame.

Anyway, also making chilli stir fry stay noodles and vegetablke as the moment, a lot of sushi (teriyaki chicken, avocado, red capsicum mostly), and a lot of pasta bakes packed with vegetables. My girlfriend likes to make her opwn creamy pesto sauces for them. pretty good.

TheEerieTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:55 am 

Necroghast wrote:
Sinvocation wrote:
Every time I've ever had tofu it was like chewing on fucking whale blubber. And for me, there texture would normally put me off, but I might have to try that recipe once.

Tofu is ridiculously delicious when you buy the right brand and prepare it correctly. I'm a vegetarian so I eat it a lot. Lucky for me both my parents are vegetarians as well and have been since before I was born, so my mom sure knows a whole lot about vegetarian cooking. Anyone else a vegetarian?

I've been a vegetarian since 1992. In 2006, I just felt bored with everything available to me, and I went back to meat and chicken for about a year. Whilst I enjoyed it, my body just started feeling really out of whack and I went back to vegetarianism.
My wife was a vegan for about 15 years before we got together in 2007, but because she's amazing and wanted to have everything balanced with the two of us, she moved over to vegetarianism.
Since then, she has realised the importance of cheese, which is quite obviously one of man's finest achievements :nods:

Speaking of which, I had a killer chip and cheese roti the other day - definitely not the most healthy of meals (of which we focus on more often than not), but dammmmnnnnn. If you want a killer roti, head down to Durban in South Africa.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:09 pm 

I'm finally learning how to cook. Before all I really knew how to do make pasta and other than that I'd just make some KD or heat up a frozen pizza. Yesterday I made some nice breaded chicken from scratch with sweet potato fries. I'm still a hack, but at least I've moved beyond constant frozen dinners.

SJDJ
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:21 pm 

Tonight I wanted to make some badass chicken. And chicken bad assery has been achieved. Cinnamon-Rosemary-apple chicken. It is awesome.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:40 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
i've just discover an awesome cooking book, Natural Harvest - A collection of Semen-Based Recipes. That's just awesome, my mother was disgusted but, i'm open to try some!!! you can find it on pdf on torrent sites

:puke:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:59 am 

Lately I'm all about Risotto. I made Risotto ai Funghi three times in the last few weeks and was really surprised how well it went. All creamy and tasty and awesome. I used Vialone and Carnaroli, I read that Arborio is actually suboptimal but the other two are really expensive :grumble: ... Any good ideas what to use instead of mushrooms?
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next