Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:02 pm 

Spinach is pretty good, great in sandwiches with tomatoes too.

Made a cheeseburger pizza tonight, it was insane. I made the dough myself as well! Bacon, ground beef, shredded cheese, red onion, tomatoes, sauce, satanic prayers, all the good stuff, ya know! It was insanely good.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:50 pm 

Is it weird that I make my scrambled eggs with cinnamon but not a drop of milk? Because I'm not much of a cook but my eggs are fucking boss and that's how I cook them.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:15 pm 

Nice work Metantoine, that pizza looks great! I'd like to try making a whole pizza from scratch sometime but I'm not great at making dough and other baked goods. I just tend to wing it a bit too much in the kitchen. I did make a killer turkey pie with thanksgiving leftovers last weekend, but my mother pre-made portions of dough and froze them for me.

And yes earthcubed, that is weird. Cinnamon in eggs does not appeal to me at all, but that's the great thing with eggs. You can more or less do whatever the hell you want with them.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:32 am 

Not a fan of overloaded pizzas. Personally I think everything on a pizza should have room to breathe.

Recently I had a rather unusual and delicious pizza with a topping of mozzarella, parmigiano, honey and walnuts. I just have to attempt to replicate that one.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

BlackFlags
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:51 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Spinach is pretty good, great in sandwiches with tomatoes too.

Made a cheeseburger pizza tonight, it was insane. I made the dough myself as well! Bacon, ground beef, shredded cheese, red onion, tomatoes, sauce, satanic prayers, all the good stuff, ya know! It was insanely good.

Spoiler: show

That looks delicious, got a recipe?

Made a dozen Yorkshire puddings today. First time making them and they came out pretty well. You have to leave them in for a solid 25 mins and be sure that they aren't gooey in the centre. And don't add too much egg to the batter or they taste like shit. A runny gravy is nice, too thick and you'll bog the pudding down under it all.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:38 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Not a fan of overloaded pizzas. Personally I think everything on a pizza should have room to breathe.

Recently I had a rather unusual and delicious pizza with a topping of mozzarella, parmigiano, honey and walnuts. I just have to attempt to replicate that one.

Go eat some quinoa you European healthpussy!

The recipe is simple, no? The ingredients are in my post, put the quantities that you want, homemade dough recipes are everywhere on the internet.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:45 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
Is it weird that I make my scrambled eggs with cinnamon but not a drop of milk? Because I'm not much of a cook but my eggs are fucking boss and that's how I cook them.

My man - been doing that for a few years now - helps give it a nice spicy/sweet fluff to it. No idea why more people don't go for it. I remember seeing a friend from Louisiana showed me that. Been eating that with hot sauce since.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:48 pm 

That pizza looks both really good and bad.. Good because of, well, sloppy, greasy toppings, bad because it looks doughey and soft? It looks perfect if you're hungover. I am not trying to be rude, but as a European I just feel like a pizza should be thin and almost crisp, definitely not deep pan and soft.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:04 pm 

Haha, I was only joking with Inhumanist! That's actually a thin crust, I don't have another pic but it does look like the crust is way thicker that it actually was, it was about 3 centimeters thick or so. I prefer to taste the toppings than the dough as well. I had some leftover ground beef and some lamb chops that I sliced into thin slices, I added some green peppers and onions to the whole thing. I wasn't completely satisfied with the dough I made yesterday so I tried my hand again and this one looks much better. Picture later perhaps.

Concerning scrambled eggs, I never use any milk myself, I put some Sriracha in them though. I also tried something very good the other day, I have some frozen burger patties so I cooked them in a pan, dismembered them into pieces and added them to the eggs with hints of ketchup and mustard powder and melted cheese. Cheeseburger scrambled eggs, voilà!

#thisiswhyimfat

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:30 pm 

Lamb pizza sounds delicious. I love lamb (also lamp). 3 centimeters though?! Even if that was the whole pizza including the mountain of toppings and not just the dough/crust, it's still about double or triple the height or thickness of what I prefer!

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:11 pm 

For whatever reason I think of scrambled eggs as kid's food. I'll take mine over hard or in a frittata.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:53 pm 

Three centimeters is thin crust?!?

Man, I wish I could make a pizza! Lately I've been eating salads or, this week, pan-frying some sausages then cooking some potatoes and onions in the grease.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:58 pm 

I googled thin crust and mine wasn't that far off, it definitely wasn't deep dish! Maybe it's simply a trad crust haha.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:42 am 

Metantoine wrote:
inhumanist wrote:

Go eat some quinoa you European healthpussy!

Pizza is not a casserole! Go ruin some poutine you wannabe European!

Kidding aside though, it's not that I think it doesn't look tasty, dude. But as someone who grew up in the local equivalent of Little Italy I have some very strong notions about how pizza is done correctly. It's not a sacrilege to do it differently, I'm just not a fan of it.

iamntbatman wrote:
Three centimeters is thin crust?!?

Three centimeters is a loaf with topping.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:37 am 

Three centimeters crust is insane, definitely deep pan in my world. I guess I normally do 3 millimeters or something.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:08 am 

JESUS CRUST, I didn't know this was the goddamn pizza inquisition.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:21 am 

Only Chicago deep dish is real. In most cases I'm not even a fan of overly rich, greasy food, but the closer my pizza gets to resembling a pot pie, the better.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:31 am 

The crust is 3cm, with everything else on top? Yeah, if you tried to call that thin crust in Chicago I think a mob of fat hairy chefs would drag you into the street and buttfuck you with Polish sausage marinated in Malört. Not even Chicago-style thin crust is that thick and it's thicker than most other types of thin crust.

My preference is Chicago thin, then Chicago stuffed, then everything else.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:33 am 

Ugh, you guys are crust punks. Soft, doughey deep pan is what's wrong with the world.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:35 am 

notice how all the Euros are the ones complaining....NOT SURPRISING. Take your traditions and shove 'em this is 'Murica!

Chicago pizza style is best - all other is false.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:40 am 

I am not complaining, it's just starry-eyed wonder. It's not that people can't put anything weird on top of their pizza or make their crust thick(er), but I just don't understand why people think thick, soft crust is good.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:32 am 

This turned into a gang fight haha, calm down fellows, I know pizza is important but let's not become savages! I would eat any kind anyway

Earthcubed wrote:
Yeah, if you tried to call that thin crust in Chicago I think a mob of fat hairy chefs would drag you into the street and buttfuck you with Polish sausage marinated in Malört.

Sounds like a good time! Maybe I should visit Chicago and let SmokingGnu film that.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:52 am 

I'm trying to come up with a pun title involving "Bears" and "Pizza" but I'm not getting anything yet...

Any chili-makers here? Looking forward to making some more batches now that it's colder outside...I normally make mine with 2 serrano peppers and 1 habanero (just the right level of refreshing spiciness without going overboard), with half the beans of a normal recipe (most chili recipes overload the beans IMO.) One of my coworkers makes his with a bit of honey to give things a thicker consistency, which I'd like to try.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:09 am 

Awwwwww shit. I love both cooking and consuming chili. I like mine to be very hearty and having all the beans- chickpeas, kidney, black, romano. I don’t really have any fancy tricks or anything, I just throw ingredients into a big pot and cook them for a long time. I do put in a bit of cider vinegar for flavour and offset the tartness with some brown sugar, and also use a bit of celery seed, but that’s probably about it.

For a thicker consistency Gnu, why don’t you just cook it down more, or add tomato paste?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:11 am 

Masa harina is the way to go to thicken it up.

After a long hunt for the bare minimum ingredients, I did make a batch of chili here that turned out alright. Two kinds of beef, ground pork, pinto and kidney beans, canned whole peeled tomatoes (hand-crushed), tomato paste, onions, corn. Seasoning was Indian chili powder, loads of cumin, oregano, salt, a shitload of garlic, some black pepper and a little brown sugar. Served up with shredded colby jack, raw onion and cilantro as garnish. Far from my best chili but it was passable and the Koreans seemed to like it and a few asked for the recipe, so I must be doing something right!

My standard chili recipe from back home is as follows:

2 lbs Mexican chorizo, taken out of skins
3.5-4 lbs stew beef, cut into smaller 0.5 pieces
1 tsp salt
fresh ground black pepper
1 large vidalia onion
1 head garlic
Several dried ancho chilis (to taste really...I just use all of the ones that come in a bag, however many that is)
3+ tablespoons ground cumin (depends how cumin-y you like it)
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 jalapeno peppers, diced and seeded
2 tablespoons oregano
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 16 oz can diced tomatoes
1 16 oz can tomato paste
1 16 oz can crushed tomatoes
2 cans pinto beans
1 can dark red kidney beans
1 can light red kidney beans
1 can corn (discard the liquid from this one for sure)
2 tablespoons masa harina
Cilantro (can be chopped or the leaves just stripped off the stems if you're lazy)

Cut off the tops of the dried chilis and dump out the seeds. Boil the whole chilis for about an hour. Slice them down the side and use a spoon to scrape the meat off the skins. Discard the skins and reserve the boiling water in case you need to thin the chili out some.

Cook chorizo in a large pot. Remove the sausage and add 3/4 of the onion, diced along with the beef, salt and black pepper. The onions should be clear and the beef should get a good sear. The beef can be cooked in batches if necessary.

After the beef has a good sear, run the garlic through a press and add it to the pot and cook it a bit.

Combine all of the ingredients, minus the chili water and masa harina, in the crock pot and refrigerate overnight.

First thing in the morning, add enough of the reserved chili water to get the chili nice and soupy. Cook on low (2/5) for about 10 hours.

Remove the lid and turn up to 4 or 5. Stir in the masa harina and cook another hour or so, stirring frequently.

Serve with remaining 1/4 onion, finely chopped, along with grated cheese and cilantro for garnish.

I also like to make white bean chili with chicken, jalapenos, serranos and lots and lots of tomatillos.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:15 am 

Chorizo?! No coffee and dark beer? Not that it's wrong, just very different from how I cook mine.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:15 am 

Metantoine wrote:
This turned into a gang fight haha

Pizza ist Krieg.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:49 am 

andersbang wrote:
Chorizo?! No coffee and dark beer? Not that it's wrong, just very different from how I cook mine.

Is Danish chili just a bowl of coffee, beer, bacon and cheese? Hold the spices, such things are intimidating!

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:59 am 

Haha, I guess I use more spices than your recipe, besides a lot of flavoring from stuff like caramelized onions, coffee, dark beer, celery - and less tomatoes too, i find it gets too watery with too many tomatoes in it. I like how you keep it overnight and let it cook for 10 hours, I rarely have the time (or rather the planning skills) for that, but I usually let it cook for a good 4 or 5 hours or so. I can't believe how few vegetables you use!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:08 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
This turned into a gang fight haha, calm down fellows, I know pizza is important but let's not become savages! I would eat any kind anyway

Earthcubed wrote:
Yeah, if you tried to call that thin crust in Chicago I think a mob of fat hairy chefs would drag you into the street and buttfuck you with Polish sausage marinated in Malört.

Sounds like a good time! Maybe I should visit Chicago and let SmokingGnu film that.

I would definitely come out to watch that. About pizza though, Chicago deep dish is the best pizza ever invented unless we are talking about Lou Malnatis. Shit is nasty. Close behind that is the thin crust that's so thin it actually gets charred a bit while in the oven, actually that's more of a tie than first and second. Everything after that can go suck it except for maybe stuffed crust pizza (I know some people interchange stuffed crust and deep dish which is just wrong and dumb but I'm talking about the kind you get at pizza hut. Regular pan style pizza with melty cheese injected into the crust.).

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:57 pm 

In the year I've lived here I have yet to understand why everyone dislikes Lou Malnatti's so much. It's obviously chain-quality food, but I definitely don't think it's this abysmal garbage like so many others do.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:20 pm 

For me it's the sauce, I just can't stand it, and the fact that they put huge chunks of whole tomatoes on the top. Lech I just hate it and it gives me a bad taste just thinking about it.

On another and far more delicious note I just had some dark ale mustard and holy balls was that stuff good.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:25 pm 

Aurelio's sauce is probably my favorite sauce, and their cheese is just so unique. Their regular crust is also unequivocally the best Chicago thin crust around. After that I go for Home Run Inn (which is nothing at all like the frozen version FYI). After that any one of a number of one-off local places out in the burbs.

But I'm out by the east coast now and most of the pizza here is shit. :(

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:29 pm 

pretty sure DC doesn't even have pizza.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:39 pm 

Yeah pretty much :lol:

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:26 pm 

Speaking of which, have you heard of St. Louis style pizza? It's basically a wafer-thin crust with melted processed cheese. :puke:

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:50 pm 

I now understand why things are so tense down there.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:54 pm 

Chicago and weird niche things like cheese curds aside, it's like the whole midwest hates food. St. Louis pizza is terrible, and don't get me started on Cincinnati chili!

Andersbang, chili is meant to showcase the chilis themselves as well as the meat. My recipe is actually extremely heavy on the non-meat stuff (a bowl of Texas red doesn't even have beans by default). Celery in chili? What next, peas?

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:41 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
pretty sure DC doesn't even have pizza.

That's a sad. The best place to go for pizza near my work is run by metalheads. I frequently buy corner slices of sicilian there.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:43 pm 

Frog, have you tried &Pizza yet? That place is great.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 19  Next