Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:04 am 

FlaPack wrote:
Made a chicken and wild rice soup with curry and fresh ginger last night. Damn tasty with a crusty baguette and the kids loved it too. I should really make soups more often. It takes a while to do it right but there's really not that much active cooking time. Probably make a big batch of butternut squash soup this weekend.

Soup is the business, despite what this guy says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCGNyiTN1Hg

Anyway, tonight I'm slow-roasting a beef shoulder with mushrooms, red wine, shallots and herbs.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

FlaPack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:23 pm 

Made a Moroccan stew with chicken, lentils and chick peas last night. Pretty damn tasty. I guess to be more authentic it should have had lamb or goat or something but I'm a pretty cheap bastard. Made a kind of half assed middle eastern sauce of yogurt, lemon and mint to go with the stew and some flat bread. I love leftovers for lunch.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:31 am 

Resurrecting this thread because cooking rules and because I made some tasty chow today.

Pork carnitas:
3.5 lb boneless pork loin (pork shoulder would be better, but they only had massive bone-in ones at the store so I went with this instead)
1 orange
1 lime
1 yellow onion
1 head garlic
1 jalapeno pepper
-Cumin
-Salt
-Black pepper
-Oregano
-Olive oil

First I sliced up the pork into roughly 2" thick slabs. Liberally season with salt, pepper, oregano and cumin (I went pretty heavy on the latter two) then rub down with oil. Toss in the slow cooker. Mince up the whole head's worth of garlic, sprinkle over the pork. Same for the jalapeno. The onion I sliced but left in larger pieces. I then cut the orange and lime in half and squeezed the juice of both over all the pork, then just tossed the fruit in there, too. Cooked on high in the slow cooker for ~4 hours.

When it's done, shred the pork with a fork. Scoop it out with a slotted spoon and pan-fry in some vegetable oil to get a nice crispy crust going. Toss that in a corn tortilla with shredded jack cheese, ranchera sauce and a heap of chopped cilantro. As an added bonus, my whole house smells amazing.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:29 pm 

I may not be much of a cook when it comes to fancy Cuisine Nouveau or whateverthefuck it might be. I might not be able to make a dessert if my life depended on me. My cooking is usually rather brutally honest and to the point. What I'm trying to say here is that I will never get a Michelin star, but I sure as fuck can make people look like Michelin men, if they happen to like basic stuff.

Today's five-hour project, straight from the wood oven. The bigger pieces are pork, the bones used to belong to the side of a cow:

Everything, including the root veggies, is so soft you could eat it with a straw.

Yes, the stove underneath is filthy. That's DeathRiderDoom's fault, he hasn't been cleaning it lately.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:35 pm 

Thanks for the bump, Nap, I'll take a serving of this meat, please.

Stuffed peppers full of phili steak and mushrooms and provolone cheese with awesome oven fried and cooked avocado in panco (this was truly awesome served with a tomato sauce as a dip)

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:42 pm 

Tony, send that meal to me in the mail please.

The last cool thing that I cooked was thin sliced chicken breasts dipped in an egg and rolled repeatedly around in corn meal then fried and I had some Spanish rice to go along with it, the mixture was perfect.

A while ago in the morning I would wake up and make 3 scrambled eggs and 4 turkey sausage then slice some cheddar cheese and put all that between two slices of toast with ranch dressing and ketchup.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Crystal_Logic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:24 pm 

Quote:
A while ago in the morning I would wake up and make 3 scrambled eggs and 4 turkey sausage then slice some cheddar cheese and put all that between two slices of toast with ranch dressing and ketchup.

Did you do that regularly? Because that is some fucking breakfast. For lunch the other day I fried some chopped chorizo, spinach leaves and sliced cherry tomatoes, then mixed it up with some raw chopped avocado and put it in a toasted wholemeal pitta, topped with tzatziki. Yes.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:28 pm 

Has anyone here cooked with a Dutch Oven? It's basically a large cast-iron pot where you put about a dozen hot charcoal coals each on the top and bottom, then slow-cook the food for about 4-6 hours. My dad cooked with them all the time when I was growing up; now that I have a meager patio at my new apartment I'd like to give it a shot myself. You can make a really simple but delicious recipe with chicken, red potatoes, carrots onions and a bit of red wine.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:43 pm 

A dutch oven is my go to item for cooking stews and sauces. I could be mistaken but what you’ve described with the coals is a variation, I just cook with mine on the stove or in the oven. I think I might break mine out this week and make coq au vin.

I was looking for something different to do with eggs the other day and found a simple but tasty idea. You make a thick-ish tomato sauce in a wide, shallow pan (I made mine with onions, mushrooms and crushed red pepper for heat) then push aside little divots into the sauce. Crack an egg into each divot, cover and cook till desires doneness and then eat with crusty bread. It was quite tasty.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:52 pm 

^Looks like Huevos Rancheros, I tried that the other day, eggs and salsa in a pita, it was quite good.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:58 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
I was looking for something different to do with eggs the other day and found a simple but tasty idea. You make a thick-ish tomato sauce in a wide, shallow pan (I made mine with onions, mushrooms and crushed red pepper for heat) then push aside little divots into the sauce. Crack an egg into each divot, cover and cook till desires doneness and then eat with crusty bread. It was quite tasty.

Rad. I've been getting more into making tomato sauces lately. I'll definitely remember this.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:36 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Has anyone here cooked with a Dutch Oven? It's basically a large cast-iron pot where you put about a dozen hot charcoal coals each on the top and bottom, then slow-cook the food for about 4-6 hours. My dad cooked with them all the time when I was growing up; now that I have a meager patio at my new apartment I'd like to give it a shot myself. You can make a really simple but delicious recipe with chicken, red potatoes, carrots onions and a bit of red wine.

I've done a ton of dutch oven cooking while camping. For an incredibly simple, tasty dessert: grease that baby up, dump a can of fruit pie filling (any sort works) in there, then dump a box of yellow cake mix on top. Don't stir, just stick the lid on there and let it bake.

You can also do lots of stuff using the lid as a cooking surface, too.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:38 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:

I've done a ton of dutch oven cooking while camping. For an incredibly simple, tasty dessert: grease that baby up, dump a can of fruit pie filling (any sort works) in there, then dump a box of yellow cake mix on top. Don't stir, just stick the lid on there and let it bake.

You can also do lots of stuff using the lid as a cooking surface, too.

Dumpcake! I forgot about that in my first post. Cherry pie filling is my first choice, but blackberries can be quite good. I've normally added a bit of club soda to leaven things out as well.

As my friend's sister once said of cherry dumpcake's appearance: "Looks like roadkill, tastes like heaven!"

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:30 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
For an incredibly simple, tasty dessert: grease that baby up, dump a can of fruit pie filling (any sort works) in there, then dump a box of yellow cake mix on top. Don't stir, just stick the lid on there and let it bake.

You forgot to mention what you're supposed to do with the greased baby.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:36 pm 

It's up to you, really. If you've got a nice tile or hardwood floored hallway, bowling is a good option. There's also tons of room still in the dutch oven.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:33 pm 

Baby bocce down the hall.
Good to know about the dutch oven lid.

Corpsefister, I'm making that egg-in-tomato thing as I type this (er .. the tomato part, that is .. eggs at last minute). The mutual orbiter recognized the idea and said it was an Israeli dish? and we got a baguette. And roasted a pumpkin. I put meatballs in there and a ton of herbs and spices. Thanks for the idea! Should be feast-worthy.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:36 pm 

Holy shit, Napero. That looks amazing. I missed that entirely before. *pulls wig back into place* Wood fire makes everything better than in a gas stove. I've never tried to make a lasagna in a wood oven, but I'm sure the same is true.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:00 am 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Corpsefister, I'm making that egg-in-tomato thing as I type this (er .. the tomato part, that is .. eggs at last minute). The mutual orbiter recognized the idea and said it was an Israeli dish? and we got a baguette. And roasted a pumpkin. I put meatballs in there and a ton of herbs and spices. Thanks for the idea! Should be feast-worthy.

Nice, sounds good! When I came across the idea it was described as a rustic Italian dish but I think it's probably one of those things that have a lot of variations on a simple idea so it wouldn't surprise me if there were a few regional takes on it.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:51 am 

Bought a whole rainbow trout over the weekend. Cleaned, gutted and filleted it. Made stock of the skin, bones, head and fins and made fish soup out of that. Quite a bit of work, but fun and totally worth it.

Regarding the eggs cooked in tomato sauce dish, my wife makes a very similar dish and calls it traditional Algerian.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:26 am 

I have not heard of half the foods you people are talking about.

FlaPack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:06 am 

We carved four pumpkins this year and I've got a ton of pumpkin puree in the freezer. I already made some pumpkin ravioli with a sage brown butter sauce. I'll probably mix some with ricotta and parm to make some stuffed shells this weekend. Anybody have any other pumpkin ideas. We don't really do desserts and the stuff from those big pumpkin patch pumpkins isn't very sweet anyway.

FlaPack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:06 am 

We carved four pumpkins this year and I've got a ton of pumpkin puree in the freezer. I already made some pumpkin ravioli with a sage brown butter sauce. I'll probably mix some with ricotta and parm to make some stuffed shells this weekend. Anybody have any other pumpkin ideas. We don't really do desserts and the stuff from those big pumpkin patch pumpkins isn't very sweet anyway.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:31 pm 

Soup! Use the puree as a base. // Edit: also, pumpkin bread.

Last edited by Grave_Wyrm on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:00 pm 

Gnaw Their Tongues!!!

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:22 pm 

So how exactly does one go about cooking tongue (cow, I'm assuming?) and how does it taste? I just moved near a specialty grocer with a hearty meat-cut selection, so I could potentially try it for the first tame...

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:50 pm 

Don't do it man! You'll only be one step closer to the dark side. Also tounges are for talking (and mooing) not for consumption. All joking aside though I don't think they taste good.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:18 pm 

I think tripe is the only thing I won't eat.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:28 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
So how exactly does one go about cooking tongue (cow, I'm assuming?) and how does it taste? I just moved near a specialty grocer with a hearty meat-cut selection, so I could potentially try it for the first tame...

That's from a pig. Or, rather, two of them. Cow tongue is easily at least 1 kg, but equally tasty.

Tongue needs to be cooked for an extensive period of time in simmering water. Those two were boiling in water with sea salt, a few peppercorns, and 2 bay leaves for about two hours. A cow tongue needs more than 3 hours to really work, unless you have a pressure cooker. Both are excellent.

The meat is chewy, and needs to be cut across to cut the muscle fibers and sinews to manageable length for eating, but the taste is heavenly if done right. It's doesn't really resemble the rest of the animal in either case, and it has all the things slow cooking needs: fat, membranes, chewy things. Unlike liver, which has a very powerful taste, tongue is more about texture than actual taste, and the taste itself can be surprisingly mild. It's excellent as a cold cut in a sandwich, preferably with horseradish paste and some finger salt sprinkled on top of it, and I've noticed that tartar sauce works very well with it, too. If you're queasy about the mouth feel of it, you can skin the top layer off, but that's a hassle and quite difficult once it cools down enough to be comfortable for the fingers.

And keep the stock! It's the best possible meat stock you can have, tasty as hell in any food you may imagine that needs stock.

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
All joking aside though I don't think they taste good.

Yes, they indeed are not Big Macs, child. Go have a lollipop.

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
I think tripe is the only thing I won't eat.

I would. And will.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:35 pm 

It isn't that it's intestines. It's just really fatty and makes me feel ill. Which is a shame because menudo is pretty damn good.

edit: put another way, if you made it, Napero, I wouldn't turn it down. It could be that the times I had it, the tripe wasn't the problem. But yeah .. it made me feel gross. Really not a whole lot different than octopus or squid, as I remember.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:09 pm 

I've never had beef tongue cooked that way, though I've had it chopped up into small cubes and fried with spices on a griddle in tacos. That was pretty good, but I wasn't really totally digging the texture compared to other taco filling options.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:51 pm 

I'm guessing the average lengua preparation isn't as sensitive as he described. Which is pretty sad, because they can spend that long on their al pastor and those can be f-in' delicious. There's a new taco place by my work. I'm going to try their lengua for lunch today. Their carne asada let me wanting, but then I like marinated pig in a taco best anyhow.

edit: Actually, now that I think about it, tripe I would totally try again under controlled circumstances. However, Big Macs I will never eat again unless I somehow found myself homeless or my life turned into the movie Threads and I came across a bag of the patties under some rubble. I might cook one over a heater grate grill in that case, because what else could go wrong?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:31 pm 

napero wrote:
Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
All joking aside though I don't think they taste good.

Yes, they indeed are not Big Macs, child. Go have a lollipop.

Actually I'd rather have the tounge than mystery meat surprise... But a lollipop now that I can get on board with :thumbsup: It's not that I wouldn't try the tounge it's that I don't like the way it tastes.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:17 pm 

The new taco place let me down. No lengua AND .. no beer. dude .. wtf.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:37 pm 

Everytime I make mac and cheese it is too soupy.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:42 pm 

You likely just need less milk and more roux.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:44 pm 

That's because you shouldn't pour milk over powder mix!! It isn't cereal!

Your milk to cheese ratio needs work in your sauce. Just look one up online and try again. Then bake it.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:00 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Then bake it.

Oh yeah, plus top that shit with panko and you've got a ticket to flavour country.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:50 pm 

Bump!

So I had one of the best meals I've ever cooked tonight. My mother got some organic lamb shanks, which neither of us had ever tried before but we decided to braise them. Started by getting a really nice sear on them in a dutch oven. Set those aide, reduced to a low heat and then sauteed a very finely diced mirepox (fancy name for a mix of onions, celery, and carrots) till we started to get a bit of caramelization, then threw in some garlic for another few minutes. After that we added half a bottle of red wine and about the same of chicken stock, plus a few bay leaves, some rosemary, a bit of thyme, white pepper and salt. Brought that to a low boil and then returned the shanks and their drippings and put the whole thing in the oven at 350 for about 2.5 hours.

HOLY. FREAKING. CRAP. The broth was so tasty I would have enjoyed anything in it but the lamb was just amazing. I've never been a big lamb fan so I'm not sure if it was just the difference in cut or if it was the quality of the meat or what but it was soooo good- dark, succulent, super tender. We also made a barley and mushroom risotto, and roasted carrots, red and golden beats, and parsnips. I love parsnips. The whole meal had a very rustic, warm vibe, and was pretty much the perfect hearty meal for a winter day.

There are few things I enjoy as much as cooking and eating a really excellent meal. I am full of happiness. Oh, and lamb. Very full of lamb.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:07 pm 

That's the way to do it! Also, putting the dutch oven into the .. BIG oven was probably the best thing you could have done there. Sounds delicious. Parsnips are, indeed, delicious. Don't really need much other than a little salt and butter, really. Even pepper can get in the way.

Urrrg ... thanks for bumping this thread. Makes me hunnggrryyy .. fucking Napero and his delicious looking roasted things from a WOOD FREAKIN OVEN! I'm convinced that basically everything tastes better when it's heated by wood fire. It isn't the smoke, either, though that helps. I feel like the heat itself distributes differently, more gently or thoroughly. I feel like if I'd spent as little time preparing food on a stove as I have over a fire, the food from the stove would have come out lame, and food from over a wood fire is basically always delicious.

zatoth12
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:46 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:
For an incredibly simple, tasty dessert: grease that baby up, dump a can of fruit pie filling (any sort works) in there, then dump a box of yellow cake mix on top. Don't stir, just stick the lid on there and let it bake.

You forgot to mention what you're supposed to do with the greased baby.

LMAO!!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next