* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
wINtEr_BlosSOm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:31 am 

Necroghast wrote:
wINtEr_BlosSOm wrote:
Excellent work love your sketches absolutely dont look like they are done with gel or ball point pens, they are very detailed and enchanting :) and was wondering why you dont post them on your dev art page ?

Those pictures are by Alfredo Alcala. (Right?)

Sorry about the misunderstanding did'nt notice the name on the bottom.Anyhow they are excellent pics.:)

~Guest 183305
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:44 am 

nekuomanteia your stuff is amazing.

Leviathan27
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:52 am 

I use different techniques ...

Aquarell

Ink

Pencil

Some kind of chopper engraving / print

Oil

I have also done some engravings.

Sure, the most pictures are not metal covers, but i use "art" more for myself than for a comercial use.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:22 am 

^ Absolutely awesome work.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:22 pm 

yes, the portraits and oil work in particular are very impressive. nice work.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Leviathan27
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:19 pm 

Thank You!

Oil was just a practice so far. I hope i can improve this.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:45 pm 

Great work Leviathan27. The oil is very well executed. Who is the man above the Herman Hesse portrait? That's not him too is it?

I have a portrait of Doestoevsky I did using charcoal I have to scan and share with you guys.

Leviathan27
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:53 pm 

Thanks!

The old man above Hesse is Brooks Hatlen from the movie "the shawshank redemption".

I am interrested in your painting. Do you like Dostoyevsky?

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:31 pm 

Leviathan27 wrote:
Thanks!

The old man above Hesse is Brooks Hatlen from the movie "the shawshank redemption".

I am interrested in your painting. Do you like Dostoyevsky?

I'm actually in the middle of Hesse's Demian. Have you read it? The boy kinda reminds me of my own neurotic youth. That's the only thing I've picked up of his. Do you recommend anything else?

Yes, Dostoyevsky is a favorite. I noticed you wrote his last name with a -y-. I had seen it written like that and the way I wrote it back at our library so I was never sure which was the correct spelling. Not until recently did I learn that it is pronounced with the -y- when our Russian model Tatiana said it during a conversation we had. She says it so fast that I barely caught it until I asked her to pronounce it slowly. I still misspell it though.

This is a drawing I did of him using the Bettmann Archive Painting. I used vine-charcoal, compressed charcoal, and charcoal pencils, probably 2B and 4B. Vine-charcoal can be very messy which is what usually made me stay away from them but once I saw the possibilities, especially when using them in combination with the other types of charcoals, the way one can build layers, I decided to take a chance and try them out.

Leviathan27
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:25 am 

Your picture looks great!! Do you have more charcoal paintings?

And you know a russian model? ;)

I really dont know whats the right grammar of Dostoyevsky is. I have seen it written with the v and y. But i have two books from him here with also different letters. Dostojewski and Dostojewskij.
I dont like "crime and punishment" that much. But his short storys are very interresting for example "a nasty story", "the dream of a ridiculous man" etc.

From Hesse i have read alomst everything. But "Deamian" is not my favourit one. "Beneath the wheel" or "Steppenwolf" i like the most. He is one of my favourit autors and nearly everything i read from him was great in his own way. He hits perfectly what i feel often. Maybe it sounds pathetic, but he helped me during the time. Cant describe it due to the lack of english :(

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:24 pm 

Leviathan27 wrote:
Your picture looks great!! Do you have more charcoal paintings?

Yes, unfortunately they're not good, more like sketches when I was trying to get a hang of charcoal. I'm still learning to do what I want them to do.

Leviathan27 wrote:
And you know a russian model? ;)

I don't think she's a fashion model although she did say she did it once. She studied art in Russia before emigrating to the States where she's studying Psychology now. She posed in a bikini for us in our drawing class. There's some graphite drawings I did of her on the first page.

Leviathan27 wrote:
I really dont know whats the right grammar of Dostoyevsky is. I have seen it written with the v and y. But i have two books from him here with also different letters. Dostojewski and Dostojewskij.
I dont like "crime and punishment" that much. But his short storys are very interresting for example "a nasty story", "the dream of a ridiculous man" etc.

I haven't gotten to those. I have his short works as well but so far I've read The Double, White Nights, and Notes From the Underground. The Double is pretty weird.

Leviathan27 wrote:
From Hesse i have read alomst everything. But "Deamian" is not my favourit one. "Beneath the wheel" or "Steppenwolf" i like the most. He is one of my favourit autors and nearly everything i read from him was great in his own way. He hits perfectly what i feel often. Maybe it sounds pathetic, but he helped me during the time. Cant describe it due to the lack of english :(

Cool, I'll check those out.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:52 pm 

Dry point print using plexi-glass and plexi-glass cutter to make the incisions. We do have etching needles but the handle on the cutter gives me better control. I'll upload colored variants when I get them on monday.

wINtEr_BlosSOm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:06 am 

nekuomanteia wrote:
Dry point print using plexi-glass and plexi-glass cutter to make the incisions. We do have etching needles but the handle on the cutter gives me better control. I'll upload colored variants when I get them on monday.

Hi nekuomantia i am trying unsucessfully to post images from devart page and since you are the only person that has posted an image from devart please help me post my artwork and yes i have read all i can about posing images on this forum only to be unsucessful. Please help!

defyexistance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:25 pm 

I'm a big fan of classical art (sorry, I don't know the actual term for it) like the work of Peter Nicolai Arbo. He's the guy who painted Åsgårdsreien, which is the cover of blood fire death.

Also Gustave Dore's art for Paradise Lost and The Divine Comedy is awe-inspiring
"Our bodies will turn to ashes, our bones will fade to dust, our lives will be forgotten, all our dreams crushed... reality, perception, biased by our egos, mutilated by our superegos, I transcend these for now I am one with the void."-Eclipse Eternal

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:02 am 

wINtEr_BlosSOm wrote:
Hi nekuomantia i am trying unsucessfully to post images from devart page and since you are the only person that has posted an image from devart please help me post my artwork and yes i have read all i can about posing images on this forum only to be unsucessful. Please help!

Open up your art in deviant and then right click it, select properties, copy the url, paste it here and insert [img]before%20and[/img]after. Good luck.

wINtEr_BlosSOm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:05 am 

nekuomanteia wrote:
wINtEr_BlosSOm wrote:

Open up your art in deviant and then right click it, select properties, copy the url, paste it here and insert [img]before%20and[/img]after. Good luck.

Thanks so much for the help:)

wINtEr_BlosSOm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:11 am 

My sketches.:)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:42 pm 

lots more good shit posted up here, awesome

i pretty much have my website to a presentable form.. which was pretty much just having up most of my work

www.cavepaints.com

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:04 pm 

So I'm reviving this shit. I recently starting working on a wallpaper-type thing, and I wanted it to have a classic eighties feel. So being inspired by the awesome-ness that is Fistful Of Metal (again), I created this pseudo-informational wallpaper complete with some lyrics, tracklisting and photos.

I am still playing with the delivery method, but now I'm thinking of doing a series of posters in an action movie style. I'll definitely play around with this one a good bit and think of some other ones deserving of this treatment. Let me know what you guys think. Comments or criticisms are welcome, as always.

ToDreamOfUr
The Boy King of All Village Idiots

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:48 pm 

I'm not an artist myself, but I do love some good artwork, especially when it relates to ancient history and/or mythology. A quite famous painting entitled "The Surrender of Vercingetorix" I really like. It was also used as a DoomSword album cover. A fantastic piece of art.

wINtEr_BlosSOm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:24 am 

New sketch

werehiker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:32 am 

Under_Starmere: Great, amazing art! That's what I imagine when I think of Lovecraft - especially the second picture in your first post. Abstract, unspeakable and cosmic.

wINtEr_BlosSOm: Haha, such infantile pictures! I love it. It looks like the covers of Deathhammer's albums :-)

wINtEr_BlosSOm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:17 am 

werehiker wrote:
Under_Starmere: Great, amazing art! That's what I imagine when I think of Lovecraft - especially the second picture in your first post. Abstract, unspeakable and cosmic.

wINtEr_BlosSOm: Haha, such infantile pictures! I love it. It looks like the covers of Deathhammer's albums :-)

Thanks for your wonderful words werehiker suddenly i felt the desire to draw more grew stronger,thanks again. :)

Heavy_T_Skubbs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:31 pm 

I really shouldn't be allowed in the same room with scissors.

ToDreamOfUr

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:48 pm 

This is another piece of art I really like. Not only because it looks fantastic and truly epic, but because it relates to the conceptual story of the album so well, almost every song's story is somehow included into this cover art. It's brilliant, Quorthon really almost outdid himself with this one.

wINtEr_BlosSOm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:13 am 

Great post ToDreamOfUr the album cover for blood on ice has fascinated me ever since i ve been listening to bathory and metal in general i have always found the snow laden mountain and forests of this pic to be absolutely enchanting and since we are talking fo artistic metal covers i would like to mention the album cover for Emperor's In The Nightside Eclipse its beauty and serenity too has fascinated from the start.

Last edited by wINtEr_BlosSOm on Sat May 07, 2011 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Errebuss
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:14 am 

I used to draw a bunch of anime. For sixth and seventh grade, and no real art classes, it looked pretty decent. I really wish I had continued sketching and learning about other mediums.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:14 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
So I'm reviving this shit. I recently starting working on a wallpaper-type thing, and I wanted it to have a classic eighties feel. So being inspired by the awesome-ness that is Fistful Of Metal (again), I created this pseudo-informational wallpaper complete with some lyrics, tracklisting and photos.

I am still playing with the delivery method, but now I'm thinking of doing a series of posters in an action movie style. I'll definitely play around with this one a good bit and think of some other ones deserving of this treatment. Let me know what you guys think. Comments or criticisms are welcome, as always.

Anthrax, damn, I haven't listened to them in ages. It'd be cool if they printed that on a shirt. It must have been a pretty cool job printing all those thrash shirts back in the day. As a kid I wore the State of Euphoria t-shirt till it was threadbare and flew away.

Last edited by nekuomanteia on Thu May 05, 2011 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:24 am 

Glad to see this thread back btw. I'm taking a printmaking class and so far I've been enjoying it for the most part. There's a lot of trial and error involved which can get really frustrating but sometimes the gods smile down upon me and give me a little bit of luck. We've already gone through the dry-point and the lino-cut methods. While everybody else was experimenting with their lino or dry points further I decided to give the monotype method a try which I found very rewarding. What I do is cover a plexi-glass plate with an oil-based paint using a brayer and then using cotton swabs, I carefully remove areas that will expose the unpainted paper once printed which I do by running it through a press.

This is a monotype-print study of an old man using cotton swabs.

This is a monotype-print female figure study also using cotton swabs.

This is a linocut-print inspired from a door-knocker somebody posted a picture of here a while back.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:57 pm 

nekuomanteia wrote:
Anthrax, damn, I haven't listened to them in ages. It'd be cool if they printed that on a shirt. It must have been a pretty cool job printing all those thrash shirts back in the day. As a kid I wore the State of Euphoria t-shirt till it was threadbare and flew away.

Hey man, thanks for the response. I'm definitely going to be doing a series of these. I'm going to start with five different albums and different bands in an action movie poster style, something along the lines of what you saw, but I'm going to work in taglines from the lyrics and tracklistings to make it feel more real, and hopefully, more crazy.

I'm redoing the Anthrax one, I'm definitely doing a Sodom one, and I'd like to do a Lich King one and possibly one from Atrophy.

Leviathan27
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:46 pm 

I have also a new picture ...

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:51 pm 

wINtEr_BlosSOm wrote:
Great post ToDreamOfUr the album cover for blood on ice has fascinated me ever since i ve been listening to bathory and metal in general i have always found the snow laden mountai anf forests of this pic to be absolutely enchanting and since we are talking fo artistic metal covers i would like to mention the album cover for Emperor's In The Nightside Eclipse its veauty and serenity too has fascinated from the start.

Kristian Wahlin. He's done the covers of so many albums, including both the ones posted here. I'll agree that his work is really awesome. Anyways, I've got some new stuff I've finished, so I might post some more soon. I'm going to be going to RISD next year (best art school in the country yeahhhhhhh) So.... definitely more to come I'd say.

wINtEr_BlosSOm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:57 am 

[quote="Leviathan27"] I have also a new picture ...

Nice work levithan27, its very detailed and realistic.:)

ToDreamOfUr

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:42 am 

I created one much like FasterDisaster did except of Robert Fudali and his two amazing projects, Graveland and Lord Wind. Mind you, I did this in shitty paint, so...

wINtEr_BlosSOm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:49 am 

ToDreamOfUr wrote:
I created one much like FasterDisaster did except of Robert Fudali and his two amazing projects, Graveland and Lord Wind. Mind you, I did this in shitty paint, so...

Wow nice way to post ,a single post to highlight 12 album covers.:)

ToDreamOfUr

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:24 am 

Haha yeah, well that's the way man :P But still, FasterDisaster's wallpaper is excellent.

wINtEr_BlosSOm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:31 am 

ToDreamOfUr wrote:
Haha yeah, well that's the way man :P But still, FasterDisaster's wallpaper is excellent.

yes it is relly good,check out this latest discovery of artistic video specially for metal fans http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40_Yldb8 ... e=youtu.be.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:12 am 

Vald from Blood Red Throne

Sorry the pictures are so big. I'm shit with computers.

ToDreamOfUr

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:13 am 

@Necroghast. Did you draw those dude?

wINtEr_BlosSOm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:49 am 

wow Necroghast portrait of Vlad is very impressive.:)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next