Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShadowKamelot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:57 pm 

This thread is for anything visual art. I like to do all kinds of art stuff, and hope to pursue a career in art. Are there any other artists on the boards? You can post links to your art, deviantart pages, discuss favorite artists, talk about techniques, or whatever here.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:53 am 

I love visual art. I've done about 15 paintings and filled up a few sketchbooks, but I wouldn't really consider myself an artist. I don't really prefer just one particular style as I think (just about) everything has something to offer. I think both the old master artist and new contemporary ones are great. Examples of new artists I think are good are Vania Zouravliov and Josh Keyes. I am also very interesting street art and graffiti and I collect books on them. I have one really awesome one showing the art of Shepard Fairey. Actually one of my favorite parts about going to Sweden and Estonia was seeing all the cool graffiti. Finland (I only went to Helsinki) was almost completely graffiti-free, which I thought was kind of odd.

Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:25 am 

starting playing around with light graffiti. dark environment and long exposures. this my my 1st attempt, so i will refine it w/ some practice.

self portrait:

abstract:

I have had successful trades/sales with:
vegnsanity, DMR, TooHuman, turboeye, minionofkyuss and teuti

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:09 am 

Artist? No.

Hack? YES!

^ Some of my degenerate art on photobucket.

hij
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:44 am 

I like the metamorphosis, that's great!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:13 pm 

I do a good bit of painting and ink work. mainly for my own enjoyment. but I do sell much of my paintings off. I've built quite a body of work, not saying it's good but i enjoy it.

www.myspace.com/shaolinlambkiller is where just about everything I've done is up on in various folders

couple of examples:

something done for trade of someone else's work:

commission piece from 2 years ago

Some unused art that was for an album cover. they wanted something where the girl was alive.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:24 pm 

it's awesome Shaolin, i love the dead girl (gore but comic), i love to draw but i've got much to learn

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:36 pm 

thanks man! i didn't take lessons. I just been doing it for awhile and I take and use what works for me and ignore what doesn't. I could probably do better if I had the patience to spend more time on stuff that I allow myself to

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:26 am 

Here is a selection of my own works. They're probably a little off-color and too big for the browser but I can't be bothered to resize and reupload all of 'em. My primary medium has been pen for a long time, though I also on occasion produce prints or pencil drawings. Graphic arts all the way.
If you like what you see, visit The Illuminated Night for more!

ScorchedEarth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:42 pm 

I do have a question about art... how could I make something like this?
http://www.chrismoyen.com/big/totc.htm

I mean, what is he using to make that? some type of pen?

ShadowKamelot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:15 pm 

@dystopia: You should post some of your stuff!

All these look great guys!

Here's my deviantart. Nothing super good, really, but I'm still learning a lot of stuff. Should be posting more sometime soon.

http://shadowkamelot.deviantart.com/

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:40 pm 

ScorchedEarth wrote:
I do have a question about art... how could I make something like this?
http://www.chrismoyen.com/big/totc.htm

I mean, what is he using to make that? some type of pen?

you don't have to really get a specific pen for that. I mean you can but I know I don't. to get it so black and white he probably did some high contrast manipulation after the fact. it makes shit so much more crisp after drawing it up and scanning it in.

also just wanted to say i really enjoyed looking at everyone else's stuff. it always interested me.

edited to add that last bit there ^

Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:19 am 

heres an abstract dark slideshow and soundtrack i put together when learning vegas. composed of pics i took while travelling many countries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T3KwO4oQqw

I have had successful trades/sales with:
vegnsanity, DMR, TooHuman, turboeye, minionofkyuss and teuti

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:53 pm 

Someone said they wanted to see my art so here it is. I don't have any really training or anything and I just did these for fun. I just started painting one day and did for about two months and never really did it again. I can post a few more if anyone wants to see them.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:05 pm 

I'm actually currently in the process of applying to art school. Believe it or not, my concentration for the AP studio art class at school is black metal. I've put on so much corpse paint in the past couple months. How do I post pictures here? I just joined and the format for these message boards is different than any I've ever posted on.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:55 am 

Under_Starmere, your art is really cool.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:01 pm 

I can upload some grid-breaking magazine spreads if you guys want, haha. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time for doing art on my own, but I have a shitton of stuff I'm doing for my class.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:07 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
Under_Starmere, your art is really cool.

Thanks! Soon we'll see if any galleries in New York share that estimation. Here's hoping!

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:59 pm 

Here's some of mine, metal related stuff first:

^ Clay hand sculpted from observation.

^ Old piece from 09.

^ A forest in Scotland.

Took this picture a little while ago (yes it's me) will be doing a drawing of it soon:

I just finished a watercolor yesterday that I've been working on since the beginning of November. Maybe I'll post it when I can get a good pic.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:04 am 

Here are some partially-completed CD cases for a Noise compilation I'm working on:

4 down............. 96 to go... and that's not including the front artwork or burning the discs!

Because it's a comp. focusing on Southern artists, I decided to make it "Southern-y" by tying together dried Loblolly pine needles and sticking them in the spines... my god, is it ever a fucking PITA.

Couple that with using various different images pasted in the center + having to print all the artwork and cut it out by hand, and I have a project that will take me about 500 years to finish... Doesn't help that I have classes during most of the week, which eats up a good chunk of free time.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:57 pm 

that's a cool concept but goddamn if I would want to sit there and put together those cases with the pine needles.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:09 am 

Necroghast wrote:
^ A forest in Scotland.

That stone/tree trunk in the middle looks like a dick with a lot of excess skin.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

HumanWaste5150
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:21 am 

Under_Starmere: Has any band ever used any of your works? It seems quite fitting in terms of style and quality for quite a few genres.
We fought to the last breath
Wonder if we will shake hands
Beyond the gates of death

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:31 am 

Starmere: Your shit is awesome. Love the Drone too. I'm a Noisy/Drone/Ambient artist myself and I really dig your stuff.

the_raytownian: I'm legit interested in that compilation too, Noise from the South eh? Sounds pretty sweet. Awesome layout too!

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Miniferret
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:37 am 

I'm currently in my 2nd year majoring in Illustration! Here's some of my stuff:

I've got a thread up in the promo section:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=74957

Some awesome stuff in this thread! Let's have more!

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:40 am 

HumanWaste5150: No, I've never done any album art, at least not commissioned stuff or anything. No one's ever requested the use of my stuff, either. It could be an interesting thing to try out, though, and I've thought about it. I'm not deep into the metal scene or anything, and hardly anyone I know listens to metal, so I don't exactly have many inroads there.

As it happens, a friend of mine did all the illustration work for Esoteric's The Maniacal Vale, and that sounded like it was kind of a stressful process :). There was a lot to do there, though; they wanted an illustration for each song, plus cover materials. Quite a lot to do for just one job.

PhilosophicalFrog: Thanks for the good word! I hope I can gain more recognition for my work as time goes on.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:44 am 

Subrick wrote:

That stone/tree trunk in the middle looks like a dick with a lot of excess skin.

Haha I see it.

phibzy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:01 am 

@Miniferret: I really like the ones you've posted, especially the one on the bottom, it looks really good!

As for myself, my artistic skills have still not moved beyond the stick-figure people stage, and I don't think it will any time soon either.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:51 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
that's a cool concept but goddamn if I would want to sit there and put together those cases with the pine needles.

Yeah... I kind of bit off more than I could chew... It's just such a PITA to tie them... Kind of rewarding once you get to see the finished product though, I suppose.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:54 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
the_raytownian: I'm legit interested in that compilation too, Noise from the South eh? Sounds pretty sweet. Awesome layout too!

Yep! And believe me, it took forever to get a sufficient number of submissions, being that there aren't a ton of artists out there.

A lot of them came out of TX... I was actually expecting quite a lot more from FL.

Anyway, thanks! I will try to keep you posted on the things if you're still interested (whenever I get done).

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:02 pm 

A lot of great artwork posted above.

I'm an art-education major. Hopefully will be graduating soon. This is some of my student work I have up on deviantart. These are all oil on wood. The Nietzsche portrait using the famous photograph was my first attempt at painting a face using oils. I have tosay working on wood was not good for my brushes as the grain tends to eat them up pretty fast. I work on canvas or masonite now which I'll take pics of and post later.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:38 pm 

Nice stuff, Nek!

ShadowKamelot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:56 pm 

Holy shit, nekuomanteia. I'm loving your paintings. I'm big on oils myself, and look to doing much more with them soon.

Could you give tips/advice on technique used for faces? I'd really like to try a portrait myself.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:13 am 

Thanks guys.

@ShadowKamelot: Portraits can be a little intimidating and will look bad no matter how well it is painted or drawn if your proportions are off. I would say this is the most important thing to remember. Not that there is a universally correct way to draw faces since some of us have long, short, thin or fat faces but if you keep in mind that its features are usually located in relation to each other, your work has better chance of succeeding.

This is a good site with a fair explanation of where your eyes, ears, and nose should be placed in relation to the head and each other.

http://maiaspaintings.blogspot.com/2009 ... tions.html

Another aspect of a good portrait would have to be how well you captured the essence of your subject. Practice drawing from life. Ask a friend or a family member to sit for you for a couple of minutes. Sit in front of the mirror if you have to. It doesn't matter what you use to create the portrait, what's essential is that it looks like your subject, that is, that it has its character.

The last thing to worry about is your media. There are many ways at approaching an oil portrait. You can start by doing a simple burnt umber sketch on your surface material. This should be done using mostly medium and very little paint. Your medium should be a combination of mostly turpentine with very little linseed oil allowing your rough sketch to dry quickly. As you add more layers of paint your ratio of turp vs linseed oil should gradually switch, this will allow your painting to properly dry or else it could crack or turn yellow in the coming years. You want your work to last.

Once your sketch is completed start by mixing up a basic flesh tone color, call it your neutral color, that is, one that's not too bright and not too dark. Cover your skin area and allow a day to dry before you begin working on it again. You will want to mix darker and lighter versions of your basic color to create your shadows and your highlights. The hair can be developed as you go but you may want to save this to the end where you can add the little details which may overlap over the face.

Like I said there are many ways of painting portraits using oils. Some start by laying down the dark colors and top them off with the brights also known as the fat over lean method as your brighter colors are thicker and heavier than darker ones allowing them to stand out more. I prefer to use this method nowadays. It sounds complicated but it's not. I also pay more attention to proportion than I used to when I painted these.

Miniferret
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:31 pm 

phibzy wrote:
@Miniferret: I really like the ones you've posted, especially the one on the bottom, it looks really good!

As for myself, my artistic skills have still not moved beyond the stick-figure people stage, and I don't think it will any time soon either.

Thanks, much appreciated! Haha, you'll only get better if you keep at it, SO GO FORTH AND DRAW.

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:02 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Here is a selection of my own works. They're probably a little off-color and too big for the browser but I can't be bothered to resize and reupload all of 'em. My primary medium has been pen for a long time, though I also on occasion produce prints or pencil drawings. Graphic arts all the way.
If you like what you see, visit The Illuminated Night for more!

[pics]

Wow, those are awesome!

here's some of my shit from my first year of college so far:

(some self portrait projects)

(some stuff from last year)

Sorry if these pics are a bit too big. let me know if I should re-size them.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:03 pm 

Our Russian model Tatiana in charcoal pencil.

Same model using graphite pencils

ShadowKamelot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:37 pm 

@neko: Thanks! I'm looking forward to doing a portrait now! Do you have a deviantart, by any chance? If not, you should totally make one.

I just wish I had more time to do art, Haha. There are some great artists on these boards. I'm jealous!

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:59 pm 

Go for it. It takes a lot of practice. Sounds cliche but look at your work as a learning experience; see what you did right and what you did wrong. One can never stop learning. Check out the work of David Leffel, the man is a modern day Rembrandt when it comes to portraits; really cool, down to earth guy too. Get your hands on one of his lectures or books and you will learn a lot. He taught me more in one sitting than all my teachers combined.

My deviant handle is http://www.oldworldwanderer.deviantart.com/ but it's the same oils I posted here; haven't posted more stuff in a while.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:11 pm 

@ Under_Starmere

Your pen drawings are awesome. I also checked out your portfolio. I like your use of white. It gives the drawing a blizzard-like bleakness perfect for a conceptual black-metal cover or inner sleeve. At first I thought they were scractchboard but that would take for ever as you would have to remove a lot of black. I've just started a printmaking course and hope to achieve as detailed and meticulous work as yours. We will be using plexi-glass, wood-cuts, linoleum, and perhaps steele plates. P.S., I like the hidden figure on the first one.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next