Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:49 am 

Looks like we're at it again...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/07/truck-crashes-crowd-people-stockholm/

Losing counts of all such attacks we're witnessing these days. Once again I feel heartbroken for anyone who lost their lives or a loved one's in this new tragedy.
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

brainbomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:51 am 

it's been an overall very, very, very shit week for the world at large.

Hoping any Swedes on here are safe.

Rasha_yad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:36 pm 

Shit happened about 1km from where I would have been if I had any classes today.

At least three dead and eight injured is the current word in Swedish media. All subways and buses and a bunch of shopping malls have shut down.

Honestly this felt inevitable. Surprised to see it took them so long. No known motive or claims of responsibility from ISIS so far, though. It could be a spontaneous response to the US bombing in Syria.

brainbomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:38 pm 

Rasha_yad wrote:
It could be a spontaneous response to the US bombing in Syria.

this is another whole shitstorm I'm dreading the blow-back of.

Glad you're safe.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:59 pm 

Good to know you're ok, Rasha_yad!

The Italian evening news also confirmed three fatalities instead of the inital five reported earlier today, which I guess is as close as a silver lining we're going to get on this monumentally awful day.

brainbomb wrote:
Rasha_yad wrote:

this is another whole shitstorm I'm dreading the blow-back of.

You're not alone. Half of my friends today are freaking out.

Rasha_yad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:25 pm 

Thanks guys! I, too, am happy that I am ok and safe.

A man was arrested and is claiming responsibility. I guess we'll find out what his deal was soon. The truck he stole was a delivery truck as the delivery man was making the delivery (lol that sentence). Sounds to me like an indication that it was spontaneous.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:39 pm 

The OP should probably change the number of dead communicated in the headline to three, rather than five, since three is the only number I keep reading even hours after this thread was made.

As far as speculating about motives goes: just the other day, a couple of Swedish parties, including the biggest one, announced that schools should not have a religious profile. Like christian schools, muslim schools, etc.

Anyway, since the guy is arrested, he may give the motive himself.

EDIT: Four dead confirmed.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:30 pm 

Rasha_yad wrote:

I'm not so sure. These attacks can be somewhat random. ISIS leaders have encouraged their supporters to use cars or trucks or whatever they can to kill people in the past, and it seems they're doing it more and more recently. Maybe because it's getting harder to get weapons. In any case this is frightening and I really hope this trend of terrorists taking vehicles and running into crowds will stop.

On a side note, with every new terrorist attack people here in Tunisia are hoping that the perpetrator isn't Tunisian.

Rasha_yad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:49 pm 

Belial wrote:
On a side note, with every new terrorist attack people here in Tunisia are hoping that the perpetrator isn't Tunisian.

That's interesting. I just looked up the topic - didn't know Tunisia produced a disproportionate amount of terrorists and ISIS fighters.

Are there any particular consequences people worry about? Sanctions, less tourism, international reputation?

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:15 pm 

Yes tourism and international reputation. Tourism was one of the main sources of foreign currency for the country. After the terrorist attacks we've had here the conomy suffered quite a bit (and it was already down anyway).

There's also the VISA problems, racism and all kinds of related issues with Tunisians abroad.

Rasha_yad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:21 pm 

The guy is a 39-year-old Uzbekistani citizen who has expressed sympathy for ISIS. No surprises then. Apparently he was arrested after "acting weirdly" in a store, proving he is a total dumbass. A second guy has also been arrested. Four people and a dog dead and 15 injured (9 serious), by the way.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:07 pm 

Wasn't it also an Uzbeki behind the recent bombing in St. Petersburg? Jesus.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:32 pm 

The guy in St. Petersburg was Kyrgyz.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:35 am 

Rasha_yad wrote:
The guy is a 39-year-old Uzbekistani citizen who has expressed sympathy for ISIS. No surprises then. Apparently he was arrested after "acting weirdly" in a store, proving he is a total dumbass.

That was my initial expectation as well. A crazy guy who is a sympathizer of something like ISIS rather than an actual member of them. Crazy guys tend to sympathize with different type of organizations depending on what organizations are well-known at the time, despite having no real connection to them. Acting weirdly in a store far away from the scene of the crime isn't exactly what an organized terrorist would be doing after his picture had been published in the media.

forestcorpse
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:50 am 

Sad news...

This is what we get for not closing the borders,should have been from the beginning.
Worthless muslim scum.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:20 am 

forestcorpse wrote:
This is what we get for not closing the borders,should have been from the beginning.

I'm surprised idiotic statements like that took this long to enter this thread. The number of immigrants compared to the number of immigrant terrorists/criminals are nowhere near each other. Hence your statement being blatantly racist.

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:27 am 

It would objectively be less crime in Sweden if they had closed borders, terrorism is just flashier than what usually goes on. How the fuck is it racist to want your country safe?

ScandalfTheShite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:38 am 

This shit makes me sad. Followed it the whole evening. Yesterday Sweden, a couple of days ago Saint Petersburg. The next logical location would be in Helsinki. Of course it doesn't work that way.

Over all this was just another very shitty week for mankind.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:45 am 

raumr wrote:
It would objectively be less crime in Sweden if they had closed borders

Lots of countries have way higher crime rates while having way lower immigrant rates.

raumr wrote:
How the fuck is it racist to want your country safe?

You have misunderstood something.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:05 am 

Well, more specifically it's a Muslim problem, not immigrants. Name a demographic with higher per capita terrorism rates than Muslims. Oh wait, there aren't any. :^(

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:11 am 

MonumentalBlackArt wrote:
Well, more specifically it's a Muslim problem, not immigrants. Name a demographic with higher per capita terrorism rates than Muslims. Oh wait, there aren't any. :^(

If terrorism occurs outside of a muslim context and within it, then terrorism is not a muslim problem or at least that would be a very sloppy way of formulating it. Every type of crime, just like any other action, will have something at the top of the statistics. But it would be incredibly dangerous and ignorant to confuse that with the crime/action therefore being a [insert group at the top of a statistic] problem or to formulate the problem in such a way.

It would be like saying war is an American problem because the US has the highest war rate,
crime is a suburban problem because the suburbs have a higher crime rate (including before immigrants for that matter),
heroin is a [insert whatever group are most frequent among heroin users] problem,
[insert problem] is a [insert whatever group are most frequent among that] problem.

Get the picture?

Last edited by Dembo on Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:22 am 

Just a forewarning, but let's keep this discussion civil and on topic. We know nothing of motive and practically little about the perpetrator at this point in time.

All that said emotions are high and tempers will flare. Political and religious topics can and do often lead to fights, sometimes personal. Keep that in mind before you decide to participate.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:24 am 

My thoughts are with the residents of Sweden. Hope any posters here from Stockholm are safe, like Rasha_yad.

Simultaneously, my thoughts are still with London and the helpless citizens of Syria.

These are just the terrorist attacks. I'm not including the natural disasters I know about in South America and Australia.

The world is a sad, sad place.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:26 am 

Derigin wrote:
We know nothing of motive and practically little about the perpetrator at this point in time.

Agreed, but the statements made above have been about gigantic groups of people (immigrants and muslims), not only the individual. I'd actually prefer threads like this to only be about the specific events, rather than a chance for anti-immigration people and such to spread their agenda and use an individual's actions to blame millions of innocent people, which they would never do if an individual commited a crime i the name of a group they themselves are part of.

For example, patriots would never blame millions of patriots for individual patriots commiting terrorist acts, war crimes, etc. with patriotism as their driving force.

InnesI
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:59 am 

From the press conference as of right now (13:50 local time):

The police has confirmed its a 39 year old person with Uzbekistani decent. They do not want to say if he was born there or in Sweden. They did say something like "we can't tell how he got into the country" (paraphrased). If that was just a slip or a bad expression I don't know but that would indicate he wasn't born here.

He has shared IS videos on Facebook but police can't confirm to what degree he is a sympathizer. Naturally they can't say if he has been in contact with any terrorist organization either.

The identity of those dead are not clear.

He was arrested sometime around 1 AM in Märsta (same place from where Sweden's first suicide bomber lived - no other connection know as of yet).

He was at first believed to not have been the driver but it seems like that is now the working hypothesis.

They found something in the truck. A device in the driver seat "that should not be there". They cant say if it was a bomb or flammable "apparatus".

There has been reports that the man arrested has said he was responsible - the police won't confirm this.

Some witnesses had seen police helicopters in the sky before the attack but police claim there was no information in advance that something was about to happen.

They are not excluding that several individuals are involved but they don't have any specific information to support that.

Rasha_yad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:35 am 

I don't blame all Muslims for this, but I'd say it's pretty clear that Islamic doctrine is intimately connected with Islamic terrorism. The way I understand it, Mohammed initially preached peace but that didn't work so he started preaching war and using his religion as a tool of conquest, adapting it to whatever strategical situation he found himself in, and he advocated the use of terror in war. The peaceful messages in the Quran were overwritten through the doctrine of Naskh (abrogation).

Though I'd say there are plenty of reasons why Islam is worse than Christianity (but that's a topic for another time), that can all be negated by having Islam go through reformation and modernization like Christianity has. As long as moderate Muslims cling to the idea that the Quran is the perfect word of God and Mohammed's life should be emulated by all Muslim men, individual moderates will keep finding their way to fundamentalism and extremism by reading the Quran and Hadith. Ideally, any child who is brought up into a religion should learn early on about at least some of the flaws of their holy text.

Quote:
They do not want to say if he was born there or in Sweden.

Cowardly and disgusting, but not surprising. We already don't collect statistics on crime vs religion, race, country of birth, etc. Suppressing information because you fear what people will do with it is authoritarian and patronizing.

InnesI
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:16 am 

Rasha_yad wrote:
I don't blame all Muslims for this, but I'd say it's pretty clear that Islamic doctrine is intimately connected with Islamic terrorism. The way I understand it, Mohammed initially preached peace but that didn't work so he started preaching war and using his religion as a tool of conquest, adapting it to whatever strategical situation he found himself in, and he advocated the use of terror in war. The peaceful messages in the Quran were overwritten through the doctrine of Naskh (abrogation).

Though I'd say there are plenty of reasons why Islam is worse than Christianity (but that's a topic for another time), that can all be negated by having Islam go through reformation and modernization like Christianity has. As long as moderate Muslims cling to the idea that the Quran is the perfect word of God and Mohammed's life should be emulated by all Muslim men, individual moderates will keep finding their way to fundamentalism and extremism by reading the Quran and Hadith. Ideally, any child who is brought up into a religion should learn early on about at least some of the flaws of their holy text.

I'm not familiar at all with Naskh but from the stuff I've gathered through religion studies at the university and reading the Quran is that war is never frowned upon. However it is always ok to fight if one is attacked. And of course what constitutes of an attack is up for individual interpretation (from a secular perspective). This is how IS legitimizes their terror as they claim we (the west) attacked them first. Therefore their horrible deeds are supported.

I also think that much of Islams problem lies not in the Quran but in the hadiths. They are thousands ins cope, they have questionable origin and the relation of Muslims towards them come as close to deifying a human, Muhammed, as much as they can without actually doing it. This is obviously very problematic and perhaps especially when that man was a war lord with much blood on his hands.

The biggest problem with the growing muslim community is not that every muslim is a potential terrorist but that the doctrines of extreme islamism has an easier way to take root because with more people there will always be some who tends to lean towards the extremes. But as Swedes we also have to understand that it is not true we didn't have terrorism until islamism came to our country. It has existed long before and generally on the so called extreme left and right wing in politics.

Rasha_yad wrote:
Quote:
They do not want to say if he was born there or in Sweden.

Cowardly and disgusting, but not surprising. We already don't collect statistics on crime vs religion, race, country of birth, etc. Suppressing information because you fear what people will do with it is authoritarian and patronizing.

I think they are just very careful about what they say and not say. It hasn't even been 24 hours. This is normal for any investigation. No one tells the public everything during an ongoing investigation. If they keep silent about it, which they won't, then one could perhaps talk of cowardice.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:29 am 

Rasha_yad wrote:
I'd say it's pretty clear that Islamic doctrine is intimately connected with Islamic terrorism.

No-one here is objecting to islamic doctrine being connected to islamic terrorism. By definition, something islamic is islamic...

Anti-immigration groups and such make way more general claims than so, such as islam having a closer connection to terrorism itself and crime itself than it does.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:34 am 

Thanks to whomever updated the thread title.

Surprisingly the reactions from Italian media (and politicians) are extremely cautious this time - usually it's a veritable circus of pointed fingers and shouted stereotypes, all served with a generous sprinkling of populist manipulation.

At any rate I agree, this whole "drive trucks into people" MO is becoming alarmingly frequent. I don't want to give in to paranoia but it's getting harder to feel relatively safe while attending to your everyday chores.

InnesI
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:49 am 

Dembo wrote:
Rasha_yad wrote:
I'd say it's pretty clear that Islamic doctrine is intimately connected with Islamic terrorism.

No-one here is objecting to islamic doctrine being connected to islamic terrorism. By definition, something islamic is islamic...

Anti-immigration groups and such make way more general claims than so, such as islam having a closer connection to terrorism itself and crime itself than it does.

Historically the most common terrorist in Europe is the one who is a separatist of different variations (usually left or right wing politically). Western Europe was more threatened in the 70's and 80's. However I have to think it was more local then. Sweden had little to no terrorist problems while the UK had loads of problems with IRA and related groups. The difference now is that islamists are attacking western Europe as a whole. It is also clear that separatist terror has been overtaken by islamist terror in the past few years.

I think another reason people react differently is that this threat is perceived to not be something that originates in Europe. In the case of the IRA it was very much something that has been brewing in Europe for a long time. With Islam, at least this time around, it is very new and it originated with the big immigration of Muslims starting in the 70's or so.

Edit: By the way, I've seen people blame Donald Trump for this because of what he said about Sweden a month ago or so. I don't think he has anything to do with it. This instead follows a clear pattern that we've seen lately (Western world only):

2014 Dijon attack, France (ramming people)
2014 Nantes attack, France (ramming people)
2015 Saint-Quentin-Fallavier attack, France (ramming gas cylinders + decapitating)
2016 Nice attack, France (ramming people + gunfire)
2016 Ohio State University attack, United States (ramming + stabbing)
2016 Berlin attack, Germany (ramming people)
2017 Westminster attack, United Kingdom (ramming + stabbing)
2017 Antwerp attack, Belgium (failed ramming)
2017 Stockholm attack, Sweden (ramming people)

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:57 am 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
At any rate I agree, this whole "drive trucks into people" MO is becoming alarmingly frequent. I don't want to give in to paranoia but it's getting harder to feel relatively safe while attending to your everyday chores.

Honestly, I would by lying if I said I wasn't marginally concerned. The biggest event of the year is coming up here in Ottawa, and being the 150th anniversary of Canada they're expecting the biggest crowds they've ever had. The number of people that swarm the city's roads will be extensive. For comparison, this and this is what it's usually like. Imagine that but with even more people all over the city. And the thing about vehicular attacks like these is that it's so easy. You don't even need to hijack an actual delivery truck. A person could easily just rent a truck or a u-haul and do it that way, too.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:16 am 

Rasha_yad wrote:
Ideally, any child who is brought up into a religion should learn early on about at least some of the flaws of their holy text.

This is exactly the problem. They indoctrinate you in so many ways since early childhood that it doesn't leave any room for any kind of critical thinking. You have to take the Quran as it is. If people can't rationally explain something, it's "the wisdom of Allah, we can't comprehend that." I mean, there are some few verses in the Quran which are composed basically of random letters put together with absolutely no sense at all, but Islamic scholars still found ways to "explain" them. They also teach us about "Kuffar" (infidels) and Muslims, and how the Kuffar will spend eternity in hell etc. and my other things. In some sermons in Mecca during Ramadan (which are followed by millions of people) the Imam would sometimes address Allah by wishing the death or destruction upon infidels. No one would object to that, it's a "normal thing" even though the people listening to it won't actually go and kill the infidels.
All of these things end up making people who follow Islam, the "moderate" ones, sometimes act in weird ways. For example, you can find a lot of Muslims who drink alcohol, but they would never, ever touch pork, while both of these things are explicitly Haram.

But I don't agree with InnesI. The Quran is the main source of problems in Islam, if not only for the fact that it's considered the "perfect word of Allah." If Islam has to go through any real, serious reform or modernization, it has to start there. Sure, the Hadiths are fucked up too (that's where it clearly says "Whoever changes their religion (Islam), kill them," which makes me, an apostate in the eyes if Islam, a potential victim. Of course no one, well at least here in Tunisia, would go as far as to kill me for that, but in other countries ex-Muslims aren't so fortunate). But there are some currents, scholars or people in the Islamic world who don't take them seriously, or who don't consider them at all (Quranists). The Hadiths can also be used by a lot of Muslims to evade, so to speak, the accusations of paedophilia with Muhammad, by saying that "scholars don't agree on the age of Aisha when the prophet married her, the Hadiths aren't the word of Allah."

Lately there was a Ph.D thesis from a student in Tunisia claiming that the earth is flat, and that the sun revolves around it, and that Newton, Kepler and Einstein were all wrong. This caused a lot of reactions and talks and the Ministry of Higher Education announced that they started an investigation to look into the issue. This sounds good, except that, in the same period of time, the Ministry of Religious Affairs organized a "prayer for rain" which they showed in part on the main news programme on the national TV. The irony here speaks a lot about how Arab/Muslim countries deal with religious things, generally speaking.

Rasha_yad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:34 am 

InnesI wrote:
I think they are just very careful about what they say and not say. It hasn't even been 24 hours. This is normal for any investigation. No one tells the public everything during an ongoing investigation. If they keep silent about it, which they won't, then one could perhaps talk of cowardice.

Perhaps you're right; I just don't see why they'd reveal his descent but withhold his birthplace; just seems arbitrary.

Dembo wrote:

Plenty of people say terrorists are not "real Muslims" or just use Islam as an excuse to do violence, or say that while their belief may be sincere it has no basis in scripture, or some variation on that theme.

Belial wrote:
I mean, there are some few verses in the Quran which are composed basically of random letters put together

Hey, Morbid Angel do that too:

Quote:
Mahummuhu Gal-Gal
Me-Gal-Gal-Zu Ga Hul
Amah-Ushumgal-Anna
Me-Gal-Gal-Zu Ga Hul

InnesI
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:47 am 

Rasha_yad wrote:
InnesI wrote:

Perhaps you're right; I just don't see why they'd reveal his descent but withhold his birthplace; just seems arbitrary.

Perhaps they simply don't know.

I don't have statistics but it seems like the terrorist attacks recently are very diverse in regards to who performs them. It has been immigrants that just came here in the huge migration stream in 2015/2016. It has also been second and third generation immigrants.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:02 pm 

Rasha_yad wrote:
Belial wrote:
I mean, there are some few verses in the Quran which are composed basically of random letters put together

Hey, Morbid Angel do that too:

Quote:
Mahummuhu Gal-Gal
Me-Gal-Gal-Zu Ga Hul
Amah-Ushumgal-Anna
Me-Gal-Gal-Zu Ga Hul

I think that's Sumerian. If you want *real* gibberish, just look up what several black metal bands attempt to pass off as Latin ;)

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:05 pm 

Ha, or German.

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:29 pm 

I just read in Norwegian media that one of the victims was an 11 year old girl, on her way home from school.

The latest about the subhuman who committed the deed is that he is a 39 year old from Uzbekistan, who is actually a father to four children himself(!). It should be said that very little has been stated, so this info might change.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:22 am 

InnesI wrote:
This instead follows a clear pattern that we've seen lately (Western world only):

2015 Saint-Quentin-Fallavier attack, France (ramming gas cylinders + decapitating)

I would add
2014 (October); St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Canada (ramming people; 2 hit; 1 dead: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Sain ... ing_attack)

I would call it more of a growing phenomenon, or trend, than pattern. It can happen anywhere, as it is usually the works of loners who feel called upon by messages broadcasted by ISIS/ISIL and repeated over in the media.

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:33 am 

kalervon wrote:
InnesI wrote:
This instead follows a clear pattern that we've seen lately (Western world only):

I would add
2014 (October); St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Canada (ramming people; 2 hit; 1 dead: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Sain ... ing_attack)

I would call it more of a growing phenomenon, or trend, than pattern. It can happen anywhere, as it is usually the works of loners who feel called upon by messages broadcasted by ISIS/ISIL and repeated over in the media.

What about the 2017 Jerusalem truck attack that happened in January?

Napero wrote:
I keep reading your username as "razzberrysoda". Too much Pokémon Go with youngest daughter, it seems.

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:33 am 

Read InnesI's post: it's a 'western world only' list.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next